g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

The Second RedCafe Sheep Draft

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
For the sake of transparency, the sheep allocating process will be conducted as follows:

STEP 1:

Players needing a sheep - 9
Edgar Allan Pillow - Rijkaard, Sammer, Zoff = Greedy feck
BorisDeLaFora = Rijkaard, Sammer, Zoff = :lol:
Cutch - Cruyff, Zoff, Vialli = Forward
Sajeev = ADS, Haan, Zebec = Capello
Joga Bonito = Rijkaard, Haan, Zebec = Capello, blocked, uh oh
MJJ = ADS, Zoff, Vialli = Forward
Kazi = Beckenbauer, Zoff, Stankovic = should get the best sheep poor unlucky sod
MDFC Manager = Cruyff, Puskas, Deschamps = clearly wants a GOAT, a manager one surely...
Raees = ADS, Puskas, Deschamps =
:lol: zy

That Zoff pick was genius!

STEP 2: Rule out any player anywhere close to being as good as Haan (blocked) or Ancelotti (worst picked player), let alone the better ones...

STEP 3: Find out if whoever remains is someone who actually played football at all, at least beyond Youth Level. Hopefully. Maybe not.

STEP 4: Allocate

antohan

Haha I'm going to randomize the sheep for the managers. That way there isn't any hand picked ones.

Except Capello for sajeev.
Feck that, this is an art my friend, an art!!!!! Although there's an above average one I would like to squeeze in, see if the manager can do feck all with him.

ctp

@antohan Klopp would be a good sheep. Hard man and organiser at the back for anyone you want to give a defender.

antohan

For the sake of transparency, the sheep allocating process will be conducted as follows:

STEP 1:

Players needing a sheep - 9
Edgar Allan Pillow - Rijkaard, Sammer, Zoff = Greedy feck
BorisDeLaFora = Rijkaard, Sammer, Zoff = :lol:
Cutch - Cruyff, Zoff, Vialli = Forward
Sajeev = ADS, Haan, Zebec = Capello
Joga Bonito = Rijkaard, Haan, Zebec = Capello, blocked, uh oh
MJJ = ADS, Zoff, Vialli = Forward
Kazi = Beckenbauer, Zoff, Stankovic = should get the best sheep poor unlucky sod
MDFC Manager = Cruyff, Puskas, Deschamps = clearly wants a GOAT, a manager one surely...
Raees = ADS, Puskas, Deschamps =
:lol: zy

That Zoff pick was genius!

STEP 2: Rule out any player anywhere close to being as good as Haan (blocked) or Ancelotti (worst picked player), let alone the better ones...

STEP 3: Find out if whoever remains is someone who actually played football at all, at least beyond Youth Level. Hopefully. Maybe not.

STEP 4: Allocate
STEP 2.5 rule out unheard of people, they have a habit of being ignored rather than being considered sheep. If anyone sees Rafa Benítez in midfield, they know EXACTLY what is going on.

antohan

Apparently Bela Guttman used to play footie as well. Feck it, this will be just managers who ever played footie, basically. Some will have better credentials than others, but will largely look every bit a sheep.

antohan

I would pay too see Brian Clough vs. José Mourinho. Looks like Cloughie would get the upper hand too: 251 goals in 274 games :eek:

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
STEP 2.5 rule out unheard of people, they have a habit of being ignored rather than being considered sheep. If anyone sees Rafa Benítez in midfield, they know EXACTLY what is going on.
Precisely. Obscure ones are useless as sheep. And managers with too good a track record are dubious too. If you give someone Guttman or Lobanovskyi or what have ya, they may possibly get something like sympathy votes (not likely, I know, but still). FSW is perfect - he's the ideal sheep, in fact.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I would pay too see Brian Clough vs. José Mourinho. Looks like Cloughie would get the upper hand too: 251 goals in 274 games :eek:
Clough was a very good player in his pomp - so that's definitely off. If Fergie's considered too good, Clough isn't even to be considered.

ctp

Our own Louis van Gaal could be one of the better sheep.

antohan

Precisely. Obscure ones are useless as sheep. And managers with too good a track record are dubious too. If you give someone Guttman or Lobanovskyi or what have ya, they may possibly get something like sympathy votes (not likely, I know, but still). FSW is perfect - he's the ideal sheep, in fact.
FSW is a bit much, only managed to get into the Spain Universities XI. Whoever gets him would have every right to feel aggrieved because he has no redeeming features. Likewise, Fergie is out, too much kudos. I'm mulling over Michels, great scoring record and a crafty manager could make him out to be the original Cruyff.

antohan

Clough was a very good player in his pomp - so that's definitely off. If Fergie's considered too good, Clough isn't even to be considered.
In fairness, if someone is to get a striker at the very least it should be someone who could conceivably score. If the manager gets voters, inc. scan voters to see Brian Clough as a very good player then fair fecks to him.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Hitzfeld was a decent striker. Won two league titles with Basel and scored quite a lot for Germany at the Olympic football tournament in '72. He'd make a nice sheep in my opinion, nothing special but not completely useless. I'm not sure if he ever was capped with the 'real' German nationalteam though.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
ROUND 2 CRITERIA

Select two players who were carded (red or yellow) in the same match at the World Cup.

If one of your players goes through, but the other is blocked, then you must keep the original player, but select another player booked from that match. If no other players are booked from that match, then you must select a played booked from that same round of matches. Any World Cup year counts. Finals only, no WC Qualifiers.

When you PM your picks, send me the match(es) you are referring to.

Deadline will now be 24 hours, set at 6pm GMT on January 7th.

PLAYER BLOCK LIST
Beckenbauer, Di Stefano, Cruyff, Rijkaard, Sammer, Haan, Zebec, Vialli, Deschamps
Just to clarify, if both picks are blocked, you can start from scratch for your next pick? ie: You are only restricted to the same game/round if 1 of the 2 players a blocked?

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
In fairness, if someone is to get a striker at the very least it should be someone who could conceivably score. If the manager gets voters, inc. scan voters to see Brian Clough as a very good player then fair fecks to him.
Well, it's not my call - but in my opinion Clough is nowhere near sheep material. Far too good a player for that. He has the highest goals per game ratio of any player who has scored more than 200 goals in the English game - a first rate finisher, in fact.

NM

FSW is a bit much, only managed to get into the Spain Universities XI. Whoever gets him would have every right to feel aggrieved because he has no redeeming features. Likewise, Fergie is out, too much kudos. I'm mulling over Michels, great scoring record and a crafty manager could make him out to be the original Cruyff.
Michels is too good to be a sheep I think.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
To be honest given his impressive scoring record, I thought Clough was a half-decent, low-risk option at the death there for the third pick.

antohan

Hitzfeld was a decent striker. Won two league titles with Basel and scored quite a lot for Germany at the Olympic football tournament in '72. He'd make a nice sheep in my opinion, nothing special but not completely useless. I'm not sure if he ever was capped with the 'real' German nationalteam though.
Yeah, have him down based on Olympic caps. For now at least.

I'll draw up a shortlist and PM it to you and @Chesterlestreet so you veto any outliers, then allocate the final 9.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
@Skizzo

- If I choose 2 players from say semi final match of a WC, and both are blocked, I'm free to choose any other match/tournament for 2nd pick.
- If I choose 2 players from say semi final match of a WC, and 1 is blocked, I need to choose another carded player from same match. If none, then any other years WC semi final carded player is OK.

Am I getting this right?

ctp

Anyone know where you get booking stats for the older tournaments?
Wikipedia has all the cards, no stats overview though. Still, it should be sufficient for this.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Anyone know where you get booking stats for the older tournaments?
It's a fecking nightmare, even the official FIFA reports don't have the cautions in it most of the time. Only from 1970 onwards, when they introduced the yellow/red cards, the reports seem to be accurate.

Skizzo

@Skizzo

- If I choose 2 players from say semi final match of a WC, and both are blocked, I'm free to choose any other match/tournament for 2nd pick.
- If I choose 2 players from say semi final match of a WC, and 1 is blocked, I need to choose another carded player from same match. If none, then any other years WC semi final carded player is OK.

Am I getting this right?
On the first part you are correct.
On the second part. If you pick players from one semi final, and one player is blocked, you can only choose from that same semi final, or the other semi final of the same year.

antohan

You're mulling over Michels? Really? If he's a sheep, then getting 3 blocks won't really be that punishing, then.
You have to be far more generous with strikers, the hopes of scoring usually rest on their shoulders. Hiding a dodgy defender/midfielder is a lot easier. But yeah, point taken, have PMd Balu/Chester/Gio for them to take the scissors out on a list of 15-20.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
It's a fecking nightmare, even the official FIFA reports don't have the cautions in it most of the time. Only from 1970 onwards, when they introduced the yellow/red cards, the reports seem to be accurate.
There were no cards in the earlier tournaments!
Ok, i never knew this! Thought Anto was on the windup