The Second RedCafe Sheep Draft

Skizzo

Tbh, this no longer feels like a sheep draft. The last draft had actual sheep.
I'm toying with a couple of different ideas.

Might let the managers wreak havoc on themselves and pick a sheep for each other from now on. First player to successfully pick a player gets to pick the sheep for the first player to need one. And so on and so forth for the second.

Gotta let @antohan have some fun somewhere along the way. Otherwise he'll be unbearable with his comments and hints in here :P

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs

Might let the managers wreak havoc on themselves and pick a sheep for each other from now on. First player to successfully pick a player gets to pick the sheep for the first player to need one. And so on and so forth for the second.

Gotta let @antohan have some fun somewhere along the way. Otherwise he'll be unbearable with his comments and hints in here :P
You are kidding right?

Which of these isn't a sheep then? I'm clear which one isn't, and I gave you an alternative, but you are happy with it.

It's the guy who got Puskas complaining. Ferenc fecking Puskas, will probably wind up being the best player in the draft by a mile yet he wants people to get Rafa Benítez in midfield. The problem with Rafa Benítez is there aren't 9 sheep of similar standing, whoever gets him is getting fecked. Royally.

@Edgar Allan Pillow: Nereo Rocco, midfielder
@BorisDeLeFora: Bela Guttman, centre-half
@Cutch: Valeriy Lobanovsky, forward
@sajeev: Fabio Capello, midfielder
@Joga Bonito: Albert Batteux, attacking midfielder
@MJJ: Ottmar Hitzfeld, striker
@Kazi: Jock Stein, centre-half
@MDFC Manager: Bill Shankly, right-half
@Raees: Matt Busby, right-half

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Tbh, this no longer feels like a sheep draft. The last draft had actual sheep.
What changed your mind? Earlier you approved of Capello as a sheep for sajeev and Capello is easily the best player out of all the sheep we picked.
works for me!

Nereo Rocco was a winger. Which wing did he play in?
I read earlier that he played as an inside left in his one game for the nationalteam, no idea if that was his best position.

NM

That's bullshit though. If I get a sheep later, the managers will pick a much worse sheep than Anto.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
The sheep are fine. Last time we had the likes of Arnold Scholten, Liam Miller, Samaras, Righetti (8 Italy caps), Binic (5 Yugo caps plus a CL title) and Anton Janssen and that was a in a post-1960-born timeframe IIRC. Not total duds to make them pointless, yet still average enough to be a weak link, with a wee bit of humour thrown in.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
When I vote in these things, I never really take the sheep into consideration. If two teams have two sheep each, I just ignore them.

Maybe that's the wrong way to go about things, but because I tend to have no idea who these sheep are they are all just names to me.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Nereo Rocco was a winger. Which wing did he play in?
He's usually referred to as a midfielder, not a winger. As Balu says, though, he featured as an inside left in his one match for Italy. My guess would be that he was mainly a wing-half (hence the erroneous wiki claim).

The Italian wiki has him down as a midfielder. I'd call him a central-to-offensive midfielder then, given his inside-left appearance.

Skizzo

That's bullshit though. If I get a sheep later, the managers will pick a much worse sheep than Anto.
Then Antohan can pick them for the rest of the draft. It's a third party picking them. I'm fine with that.

You're upset because they aren't "sheepy" enough? They're on a lower level than any of the picked players...but can still at least be of some use in a team. I didn't want sheep that automatically resulted in a loss because of their presence. At least the ones anto picked are functional.

Skizzo

You are kidding right?

Which of these isn't a sheep then? I'm clear which one isn't, and I gave you an alternative, but you are happy with it.

It's the guy who got Puskas complaining. Ferenc fecking Puskas, will probably wind up being the best player in the draft by a mile yet he wants people to get Rafa Benítez in midfield. The problem with Rafa Benítez is there aren't 9 sheep of similar standing, whoever gets him is getting fecked. Royally.

@Edgar Allan Pillow: Nereo Rocco, midfielder
@BorisDeLeFora: Bela Guttman, centre-half
@Cutch: Valeriy Lobanovsky, forward
@sajeev: Fabio Capello, midfielder
@Joga Bonito: Albert Batteux, attacking midfielder
@MJJ: Ottmar Hitzfeld, striker
@Kazi: Jock Stein, centre-half
@MDFC Manager: Bill Shankly, right-half
@Raees: Matt Busby, right-half
I'm fine with them, like I told you. They look fine to me. You'll be on sheep duty for the rest of the draft, if you're ok with that. There's no point in trying to please everyone :)

antohan

I'm fine with them, like I told you. They look fine to me. You'll be on sheep duty for the rest of the draft, if you're ok with that. There's no point in trying to please everyone :)
I'm OK, but with the proviso that I can't guarantee similar quality. e.g. in this round whichever game/round is picked will, by definition, limit any leeway so the sheep quality could vary quite a bit. Managers should keep that in mind when picking.

antohan

:lol: FFS. A grand total of 2 caps for Russia and most famous for trying to score from corners. Cheers Anto
You can build a cracking Iron Curtain theme around him though, I thought that was a challenge you can live up to!

Skizzo

I'm OK, but with the proviso that I can't guarantee similar quality. e.g. in this round whichever game/round is picked will, by definition, limit any leeway so the sheep quality could vary quite a bit. Managers should keep that in mind when picking.
That's the beauty of the draft, is it not? :)

Annahnomoss

Great work @antohan with the sheep. Perfect really, comical but still not going to ruin anybody's team if they have to play them.

NM

You are kidding right?

Me having Puskas isn't relevant. Don't talk shit. feck it. Skizzo's game. It is what it is.

antohan

Me having Puskas isn't relevant. Don't talk shit. feck it. Skizzo's game. It is what it is.
Of course it is relevant. If VivaJ or Stobz complained they would have a leg to stand on. You don't.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
FFS. A grand total of 2 caps for Russia and most famous for trying to score from corners. Cheers Anto
He is great, better than a lot of other sheeps. Don't be misled by his caps, the competition for a place on the left was very tough.

NoPace

-Are the finals and 3rd place games the same round?
-A group stage with 3 matches played has 3 rounds, right? And any match in that round in all groups is okay if you get blocked, yes?

Annahnomoss

-A group stage with 3 matches played has 3 rounds, right? And any match in that round in all groups is okay if you get blocked, yes?
I'd guess a round is the matches played the same day? or "match 1 out of 4" rather than the entire group stage.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
That would mean we need to know the match dates.
It's plain enough which matches belong to which round in a World Cup group stage - it's a matter of official record.

That said, I don't know what Skizzo has in mind here - but if one "round" is the entire group stage this obviously becomes much less of a challenge.

antohan

I'd guess a round is the matches played the same day? or "match 1 out of 4" rather than the entire group stage.
I've discussed this with Skizzo before, so some clarifications.

1) What is a round?

Using current format (it's an arse with some of the old ones but I doubt you will face that problem except for the one match which has a clear-cut round).

Group Stage Round 1: first pair of fixtures across all groups
Group Stage Round 2: second pair of fixtures acrosss all groups
Group Stage Round 3: third pair of fixtures across all groups
Second round: one round
Quarter-finals: one round
Semis: another round
Final and third-place playoff: final round

2) What can I pick?
Any two players from a game, from the same or different sides.

3) What happens if I get a block?
If double-blocked you can switch to any other WC and round.

If one player is blocked then you retain him and HAVE to pick another player in the same game. You MUST go for all players in that game before moving on to another game in the same round, so if you pick two Brazilians in a game against Timbuktu and one is blocked you HAVE to go for the five shite red-carded Timbuktu players before moving on.

The same applies to anyone else stuck in the same game as you, if you picked Joe and James and someone else picked Joe and Charles, from the same game, then you both HAVE to pick Jing-Yu next, even if he is the only carded player left and regardless of the fact that you will obviously be blocking each other. Only after burning that option can you go for AN Other in another group game.

4) Can I pick a player who was the only one carded in a game and then anyone from the rest of the round games?

Nope, you can't. I had a brilliant example in mind. Spoilsport. There must be at least two carded players in any game you pick from to begin with.

antohan

The same applies to anyone else stuck in the same game as you, if you picked Joe and James and someone else picked Joe and Charles, from the same game, then you both HAVE to pick Jing-Yu next, even if he is the only carded player left and regardless of the fact that you will obviously be blocking each other. Only after burning that option can you go for AN Other in another group game.
@Skizzo, important question here.

Imagine a game with said players carded: Joe, James, Charles and Jing-Yu.

Player A goes for Joe and James
Player B goes for Joe and Charles
Your feedback to both says FAIL (Joe), PASS

Now, A and B both know that was the only game Joe ever got carded in but not necessarily who the pass from the other manager was. Well, sort of, as Jing-Yu is diabolical. They both go for Jing-Yu then, which obviously results in FAIL (Jing-Yu). Now, does Player A HAVE to try Charles while Player B tries James? Even if it's 100% logically the case that they will get FAIL (player already picked)?

I know the answer is YES, but it's probably best that it is 100% clear in advance.

Skizzo

Now, A and B both know that was the only game Joe ever got carded in but not necessarily who the pass from the other manager was. Well, sort of, as Jing-Yu is diabolical. They both go for Jing-Yu then, which obviously results in FAIL (Jing-Yu). Now, does Player A HAVE to try Charles while Player B tries James? Even if it's 100% logically the case that they will get FAIL (player already picked)?

I know the answer is YES, but it's probably best that it is 100% clear in advance.
That's correct. It kind of a shitty deal...but that's the risk of going for certain players in certain games.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin

Now both players don't know they have chosen the same match, right?
- Player A can choose Charles, and Player B Joe which would again result in 'Already picked' block.
- Player A can choose Charles, while Player B can go for Jing-Yu....in which Player A gets royally screwed as his next pick will also be blocked...but Player B wins 2nd pick.

The additional complications is that Jing-Yu can be chosen by another manager from a different match.

Of..This is devious !!

I can imagine Skizzo like:

Kazi

I've discussed this with Skizzo before, so some clarifications.

1) What is a round?

Using current format (it's an arse with some of the old ones but I doubt you will face that problem except for the one match which has a clear-cut round).

Group Stage Round 1: first pair of fixtures across all groups
Group Stage Round 2: second pair of fixtures acrosss all groups
Group Stage Round 3: third pair of fixtures across all groups
Second round: one round
Quarter-finals: one round
Semis: another round
Final and third-place playoff: final round

2) What can I pick?
Any two players from a game, from the same or different sides.

3) What happens if I get a block?
If double-blocked you can switch to any other WC and round.

If one player is blocked then you retain him and HAVE to pick another player in the same game. You MUST go for all players in that game before moving on to another game in the same round, so if you pick two Brazilians in a game against Timbuktu and one is blocked you HAVE to go for the five shite red-carded Timbuktu players before moving on.

4) Can I pick a player who was the only one carded in a game and then anyone from the rest of the round games?

Nope, you can't. I had a brilliant example in mind. Spoilsport. There must be at least two carded players in any game you pick from to begin with.
Good breakdown.