g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

The Second RedCafe Sheep Draft

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
IRL it's usually the manager's fault. Just saying...
Aye - and to a large extent the same is true for drafts. Still, there's a difference. If the rounds are very unevenly balanced, for instance (in terms of the quality available), there's less the manager can do.

But all things said and done, a sheep should be a considerable weakness - that's the point of the thing, surely. And who cares about the matches anyway - the fun's in the drafting. If a match or two becomes largely pointless because one of the teams are loaded with crap, that's the nature of the game. It can easily happen in a non-sheep draft too.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Or arguably the best fullback/side back in the history of English football.

Or one of the best wingers in British football history.
They were all too obvious I guess, Armfield in particular. And I did think Cholo had been a safe early choice, but I can't wrap my head around Fernandez.

Willy Waddell didn't get picked in a British draft, so it's understandable.

NM

They were all too obvious I guess, Armfield in particular. And I did think Cholo had been a safe early choice, but I can't wrap my head around Fernandez.

Names anoto.. Names. They might come up again in other criteria. Why can't you stop my friend. @Skizzo

Kazi

ROUND 2 CRITERIA

Select two players who were carded (red or yellow) in the same match at the World Cup.

If one of your players goes through, but the other is blocked, then you must keep the original player, but select another player booked from that match. If no other players are booked from that match, then you must select a played booked from that same round of matches. Any World Cup year counts. Finals only, no WC Qualifiers.

When you PM your picks, send me the match(es) you are referring to.

Deadline will now be 24 hours, set at 6pm GMT on January 7th.

PLAYER BLOCK LIST
Beckenbauer, Di Stefano, Cruyff, Rijkaard, Sammer, Haan, Zebec, Vialli, Deschamps
What do you mean by 'same round of matches'. What if it's during the group stages?

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
How did Deschamps last till the 3rd round, ffs? You guys are all insane. Also, I know he's not necessarily sheep material, but could we sign Capello as a sheep for @sajeev ? I want to see him defend Capello.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd

He didn't - but that was a bit random. It was wingers galore in that draft.

Annahnomoss

How did Deschamps last till the 3rd round, ffs? You guys are all insane. Also, I know he's not necessarily sheep material, but could we sign Capello as a sheep for @sajeev ? I want to see him defend Capello.
That is a brilliant sheep in my mind at least, someone playable but who never features pretty much. The more the manager likes him the better, it'll mean some great matches. Just boring to see people killed with a Djemba Djemba.

MJJ

thought him and simeone would have been picked already.

nm getting puskas is the pick of the round.

antohan

Names anoto.. Names. They might come up again in other criteria. Why can't you stop my friend. @Skizzo
Criterion is gone, it's now as out of context and irrelevant as people mentioning "the Messi round" before.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
The more the manager likes him the better
Think you're missing the point here :lol:
Capello's team is getting way over-rated here, and so is he as a manager. I doubt his team will be able to overcome his negativity to score any goals at all.

It is absurd that the score is 12-2. Too much nostalgia due to the Serie A highlights in the 90s
yup Capello is a big no-no for me since he managed Real, and then resigned supporting John Terry :houllier:

and i think a few of your players are over-rated but yeah an incredible team, i just don't like it
yep but people aren't really used to voting for a draw in case like these. even the draw is quite recent, so the condition is more toward voting for a winner.
even here there is a very high probability that it will be draw, and i would have predicted a 0-0, but I picked a winner because of the conditioning (and yeah i hate capello)
I hate Capello more than you can hate me for voting against him ;)

antohan

He is horrendously underrated, that's why.

And yeah, sajeev <3 Capello

NM

works for me!

Kazi

@Skizzo Also, what if say there are three players booked in a match, you pick two and one is blocked. And the third player that was booked has been taken by someone else in the same round. Are you informed of this and told to pick a player from the same round, or are you not told anything and your next pick will be blocked regardless.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I like the early Liedholm pick by @NoPace . I'm also glad that Hidekguti wasn't blocked, he deserves a good tournament.

ctp

There is one game that's an utter gold mine for this round.

Kazi

Then if you pick a pair of players from group stage match 2, and one is blocked. The other player has to be also from another game from group stage match 2 and was booked.
Just to confirm, it can be from match 2 in any of the groups, right?

Skizzo

@Skizzo Also, what if say there are three players booked in a match, you pick two and one is blocked. And the third player that was booked has been taken by someone else in the same round. Are you informed of this and told to pick a player from the same round, or are you not told anything and your next pick will be blocked regardless.
You wouldn't be informed, it would just show as a "pass" for the other manager who picked them. You won't know who else has been picked.

kps88

@Skizzo I assume the third place play off and final are linked as the same round of matches?

Skizzo

Just to confirm, it can be from match 2 in any of the groups, right?
Correct. First pick 2 booked from same match. If neither is successful, pick different players and different match. If one is successful, pick another from that same match as your successful pick. If no other players in that match were booked (at all, if there were, you have to go with them before trying a different match) then you can pick another player booked from another team in the same round of matches.

MDFC Manager

This is the first time I'm playing BTW. When do we get our sheep assigned? Would help in building the team if we knew (:lol:)

ctp

There's multiple such goldmines tbf
Disagree. I think it's a fairly easy round as there are so many games with two or more great players carded, but the game I meant is on another level. It's a fairly obvious one too, so I haven't given much away.

Skizzo

Since @antohan loves naming players, I'll leave it to him and @Balu to come up with sheep for the teams, if they are ok with that?

Only thing I ask us that they keep them even level for everyone. That way one person isn't overly shafted.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
:lol:

6 managers shot their load on the same keeper! A goalkeeper!

NM wins this round.

kps88

I'm still not quite sure how finals and third place games will work. If multiple people all go for the same final and the third place game doesn't have many yellows, there won't be any booked players left to pick for round two.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
The goldmine is a tricky one. You might land a good 'un but it's virtually certain the other one will be blocked - and then you have to go fishing in other matches for your second pick (which could easily mean you end up with something far less impressive).

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I'm still not quite sure how finals and third place games will work. If multiple people all go for the same final and the third place game doesn't have many yellows, there won't be any booked players left to pick for round two.
Which means sheep, lots of sheep :drool:. Pick the games wisely, finals & semifinals are obviously a bigger risk than group games or round of 16 games.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Since @antohan loves naming players, I'll leave it to him and @Balu to come up with sheep for the teams, if they are ok with that?

Only thing I ask us that they keep them even level for everyone. That way one person isn't overly shafted.
Picking sheep is a fecking nightmare, I respectfully decline the job offer :). I feel like I've done my share of sheep picking by suggesting Capello for sajeev.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
- A sheep pick will be decided by other managers at the end of the round. This is a way to punish the manager who failed in all his 3 attempts in a round. The sheep pick for a round must meet the criteria of the round. I will make the final decision on the sheep.

Only successful drafters for the round will be allowed to nominate sheep picks. Anyone of them can also reject a nomination if he thinks the pick is unjustified for any reason. The nominations for sheep picks should not coincide with a position the manager has already filled.
Very clear and fair - should just stick to this, @Skizzo.

This round has more unsuccessful than successful managers, though - so you can ask around for additional nominations once all the successful managers have submitted their nominations.

The tricky part here will be to keep all the sheep on roughly the same level, quality wise IF there is to be purely comical ones included, that is.

I wouldn't be too arsed about fairness, though, in all honesty. I presume you will throw nine names in the hat in the end and just randomize - so it's a bit of luck involved, which is the way it should be.

Getting a sheep shouldn't be a pleasant thing anyway - just let 'em cry their little hearts out, I say.

antohan

Challenge accepted!

Will keep it in line with managers picks where possible. Greedy fecks get the worst sheep! I haven't even looked at who these may be btw.

Skizzo

Very clear and fair - should just stick to this, @Skizzo.

This round has more unsuccessful than successful managers, though - so you can ask around for additional nominations once all the successful managers have submitted their nominations.

The tricky part here will be to keep all the sheep on roughly the same level, quality wise IF there is to be purely comical ones included, that is.

I wouldn't be too arsed about fairness, though, in all honesty. I presume you will throw nine names in the hat in the end and just randomize - so it's a bit of luck involved, which is the way it should be.

Getting a sheep shouldn't be a pleasant thing anyway - just let 'em cry their little hearts out, I say.
Yeah it would be randomized. I'm going to have a third party nominate the sheep, I'll make sure they all fly. Then hand them out after the generator randomized.

Skizzo

Challenge accepted!

Will keep it in line with managers picks where possible. Greedy fecks get the worst sheep! I haven't even looked at who these may be btw.
Haha I'm going to randomize the sheep for the managers. That way there isn't any hand picked ones.

Except Capello for sajeev.