Sheffield United

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
Most Sheffield Utd fans I know are pretty gutted about this one. I think they were all resigned to the fact they were going down but not a single one of them wavered in their support for Wilder and frankly who can blame them after what he delivered. It’s clear he’s fallen out with the hierarchy but it remains a mental decision as Wilder would have given them the best chance of bouncing straight back again. The shameful reality of modern football clubs.
It’s Wilder who wanted out. He’s publicly said that he doesn’t even know if he will be here next season but as long as they stick to the plan there would be no problem. Something has changed and it’s the final straw for him. I don’t blame him one bit.

Andersonson

Maybe Eddie Howe would be a good manager for them?

I dont see why Wilder and Sheff parts ways though. I hope he gets a new chance somewhere else

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Just listened to Talksport for a while and Sheffield United fans were resigned to going down, but did not want to lose their manager. They love Chris Wilder. It is going to be a hard job for the next manager to win them over.

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
Press conference cancelled due to “circumstances beyond our control. Will communicate further information when available". Getting messy this.

Baneofthegame

When you can’t get your first choice you have to go and pick from second/third choices. Can’t really grumble when that’s the situation we were in.
You’re definitely more knowledgable about it than me, but from what I read I thought they were both Wilder signings?

Either way, he did a great job, it’s a shame how this season has played out.

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
You’re definitely more knowledgable about it than me, but from what I read I thought they were both Wilder signings?

Either way, he did a great job, it’s a shame how this season has played out.
Wilder wanted Watkins, Cash and Robinson. Worked on deals for all but lost out due to wages offered elsewhere. Happened the year before with Maupay too.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
When you can’t get your first choice you have to go and pick from second/third choices. Can’t really grumble when that’s the situation we were in.
But surely he would have to concede that a Director of Football would be the best way forward then to try and plan and scout and make the very best of the budget they have?

Despite his fantastic work, he can have no real arguments about messing up the transfers and should have conceded that a more structured approach was needed next time around?

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
But surely he would have to concede that a Director of Football would be the best way forward then to try and plan and scout and make the very best of the budget they have?

Despite his fantastic work, he can have no real arguments about messing up the transfers and should have conceded that a more structured approach was needed next time around?
You win some you lose some. Recruitment was fine up until PL and gambles have a greater risk. CW would not work under a DOF.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Most Sheffield Utd fans I know are pretty gutted about this one. I think they were all resigned to the fact they were going down but not a single one of them wavered in their support for Wilder and frankly who can blame them after what he delivered. It’s clear he’s fallen out with the hierarchy but it remains a mental decision as Wilder would have given them the best chance of bouncing straight back again. The shameful reality of modern football clubs.
I've never got this over sensitivity with managers.

Players are dropped/let go regularly because they aren't cutting it anymore and no one cares but when the same happens to a manager it's a "shameful reality of modern football".

For all intents and purposes what the Sheffield United board have done to Wilder is no different to what Wilder himself did to Mark Duffy.

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
For all intents and purposes what the Sheffield United board have done to Wilder is no different to what Wilder himself did to Mark Duffy.
Duffy wanted more money. That’s why he took the boot.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Duffy wanted more money. That’s why he took the boot.
Are there any murmurings among the fanbase about who might come in? Who would you want personally?

The one big thing is that the board now need to get this appointment spot on, and it will be tough for anyone to have the same success Wilder has had with this squad.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'

Players are dropped/let go regularly because they aren't cutting it anymore and no one cares but when the same happens to a manager it's a "shameful reality of modern football".

Your a Chelsea fan of course you’d say that :lol:

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
Are there any murmurings among the fanbase about who might come in? Who would you want personally?

The one big thing is that the board now need to get this appointment spot on, and it will be tough for anyone to have the same success Wilder has had with this squad.
Seen all sorts of rumours but nothing is certain. I couldn’t pick personally it’s a tough one.

Thiagoal

Wow! I feel sorry for Sheffield United. Wilder is a fantastic manager. I’m from Northampton and he turned a dismal side destined for relegation into a promoted one (playing fantastic football) in 18 months.
You could argue getting a struggling league one side to the Prem in three years is even better!
Very interested to see his next move..Newcastle?

Oranges038

Surprised it took this long.

Did a good job up to this season, they've been unlucky and woeful in equal measure this season.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Will you find it shameful if United let DDG go this summer?

If the answer to that is no then you're a hypocrite.
As much as you’d like to link the two players and managers are entirely different jobs and circumstances so they are nothing similar.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
As much as you’d like to link the two players and managers are entirely different jobs and circumstances so they are nothing similar.
So it's allright to be ruthless with players but not managers? One is allowed to be discarded as soon as they're not performing but the other has to be stuck with?

It's hypocrisy no matter what mental gymnastics you use to justify it.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Always thought they were a pub team. No way their form could have continued from the other season, it was a matter of time.
A bit unfair but Wilder should have been manager of the year despite Klopp's exploits in my opinion.

When the pandemic hit they were I think 5 points off us in 4th with a game in hand and us still to go there, had they achieved 4th it would have trumped Leicester in my opinion.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Maybe if you were more ruthless with your managers you wouldn't be on 8th year in a row without a title challenge or on your longest baron run for three decades.
We've had 4 managers post Fergie, Chelsea have had 5. Would suggest there's not a lot between the two clubs when it comes to ruthlessness in sacking managers. Our problems run deeper than just who the manager is

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Maybe if you were more ruthless with your managers you wouldn't be on 8th year in a row without a title challenge or on your longest baron run for three decades.
Shots fired :nervous:

Schneiderman

Always thought they were a pub team. No way their form could have continued from the other season, it was a matter of time.
This, horrible team and can't stand Wilder. They got through last year on 'passion', kicking the shit out of the opposition and time wasting. Never got the hype.

Chipper

Adulterer.
I always have a soft spot for teams that are punching, even more so if they're a bit "industrial". Within that I realise limitations, that you could never be a top team playing certain styles. I really enjoy how it can wind people up and at times when teams do better than you'd expect given the talent pool. That's not to say you can't play in a more progressive style and be greater than the sum of your parts too, I think Biesla's side is an example of that as was Rodger's Swansea team. There's been others too.

Suppose I think there's a bit of room for everything and maybe I champion your Pulis, Warnock, Hughes style a bit more than others do typically from what I've seen.

Don't really know where I'm going this apart from a general kind of "I like Wilder" statement. It was good to see Burnley stick with Sean Dyche, and while a completely different style of play also Norwich with Daniel Farke, would have liked to have seen Wilder in charge of trying to regain promotion with Sheff Utd too.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Bit of a PS, hope Fulham stay with Parker too. There's something there I feel.

Mr. Ant

I won't argue that he's done a great job with Sheffield but would he be really able to motivate them next season?
Those players will be completely shot of confidence and they might need a fresh start with a new coach.

Of course if they get it wrong with the next appointment those running the club will look like idiots for not being able to work with Wilder.

We've seen this before, relegated club makes a wrong choice with a new coach and they struggle even in the Championship. Wilder definitely deserves another chance in the Prem.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
Sheffield United owner Prince Abdullah: Chris Wilder 'resigned' twice, wanted £4m pay-off

Prince Abdullah: "Chris explained why he wanted to resign. He said that he felt the team needed a change, a new voice. We were very clear and said we don't want to fire you but if you want to resign, you can, but we will not pay you the same money as if we were firing you."

In an exclusive interview with Sky Sports News, Prince Abdullah also discusses his concerns over the recruitment process under Wilder, as well as the club's search for a long-term replacement for him.

"In December, Stephen [Bettis, Sheffield United CEO] told me that Chris had talked about resigning. I was really worried and I knew that a phone call or a Zoom call would not do the trick, I had to sit with him," the Prince said.

"The problem was, because of Covid, all Saudis were banned from leaving the country. I spent two weeks trying to get permission to leave. As soon as I got that, I flew to London and drove to Sheffield and met Chris before the Southampton game [a 3-0 defeat].

"I told Chris, if we lose every game until the end of the season, we are not going to fire you. We need you to be our coach. I am not talking about emotion, I just believe you are the best manager to bring us back to the Premier League.

"I told him recruitment could be better and that we could sit down after the season and talk about how we could make it better.

"I told him that I am not happy that sometimes after defeats when you talk to the media [and say], 'I can't make cake out of sand' and when he says, 'all I have is Championship players'.

"It does not reflect well on the club image. Those players finished ninth in the table last season, it hurts the club financially.

"I am OK with Chris taking all the credit when we win but at least take some responsibility when we lose. Don't, under the pressure of some losses, say 'everything around me is rubbish'."

Prince Abdullah added: "Chris explained in a one-hour call why he wanted to resign. He said that he felt the team needed a change, a new voice.

"We were very clear and said we don't want to fire you but if you want to resign, you can, but we will not pay you the same money as if we were firing you.

"The emails started between his representatives and our financial guy and we were astonished to find he had asked for £4m to resign.

"We said, 'no way are we going to pay you £4m, you are resigning, we are not firing you, why would we have to pay almost one year's salary?'"

Prince Abdullah also revealed his concerns over the recruitment policy at the club, which saw Wilder having a key say in new signings for the Blades.

Rhian Brewster cost the Blades £23.5m but is yet to score in 23 appearances for the club, who have scored just 16 league goals all season.

David McGoldrick is their top scorer with six goals, with Billy Sharp, Oli McBurnie, Oliver Burke and Lys Mousset contributing another five.

"We also talked about the January transfer window just before the Southampton game. I felt good after the meeting and I gave him assurances. I went back to Saudi, I felt good," added Prince Abdullah.

"Then after we lost to [Crystal] Palace at the beginning of January, Stephen called me and told me Chris wanted to resign. I felt it was my mistake because we recruited how Chris wanted, we spent over £120m.

"Liverpool and Tottenham have two forwards, we have six. The new coach may not want six forwards and we spent around £60m on them."

"Our first priority is to get back to the Premier League. All options are open," he said.

"We will make a decision soon but we want to see how the team performs for the last eight or nine games of the season.

"We want a coach who will be involved in recruitment but we have to learn from the mistakes we made before."

https://www.skysports.com/football/...chris-wilder-resigned-twice-wanted-4m-pay-off