Sheffield United

marktan

It's a whole combination of things with them currently, but Wilder definitely isn't helping them. I've watched them a lot this season and their issues are:

1) They won a lot of games by 1 goal last season - they didn't score many (I think Mousset was their top scorer with 6) but conversely their defence conceded very few.

2) The biggest major factor in their decline is their defence - it leaks a lot more goals. Why? They've lost Henderson. Jack O'connell picked up a long term injury. The replacements have been poor so they're conceding more but still not scoring many.

3) Their summer singings and replacements by Wilder have been poor. Ramsdale is a poor keeper, he looked poor at Bournemouth too. He'll be okay at Championship level but £20m on him is such poor scouting, especially considering it puts him in the top 10 GK transfers of all time.

Ampadu in midfield and defence is young and will improve, but he's not good enough currently at either positions. Luckily only a loan.

Brewster imo is terrible and an incredible waste at £25m. He has no link-up play and no runs in behind. True they barely create anything with no midfield which may be masking his finishing, but he's only real contribution currently is running and he's probably the 4th best striker at Sheffield currently, which is saying something as the other 3 (Mousset, Mcgoldrick, Mcburnie) don't score many.

Of their summer signings, Burke has been fairly impressive. Bogle also looked very impressive in the game where he scored 2 games back, but for some reason Wilder hasn't played him since. A bit baffling since theyre struggling to create.

Given that Wilder also signed Mcburnie and Berge for about £45m combined, I'd have to question how good he is in the transfer market and how much of the current squad he built and what prices he paid for them. A lot of wasted money.

4) Tactics. Teams have figured out how to beat Sheffields back 5 - keep your wingers or full backs out wide hugging the touch line forces Sheffields wingback to drop and defend - which means Sheffield are forced to become a back 5 more often than they're a back 3. This causes them to basically have no midfield. Probably the last 5 matches I've watched from Sheffield, they've had no midfield and lose the ball after 3 or 4 passes. Their modus operandi is having Mcgoldrick drop deep and create - he does it well but it's not enough.

I think Wilder either needs to change formations or step down because currently with the formation they're playing they won't pick up many more points. They should switch to a 4-3-3 - their defence will concede goals regardless but this way with a midfield they may actually score some. I'd line up something like this and try to get goals:

Mousset - Mcolgdrick - Burke
Work horse Midfielder - Midfielder - Midfielder
Enda Stevens - Egan - Defender - Bogle
Ramsdale

Last edited:

Jericho

It's a whole combination of things with them currently, but Wilder definitely isn't helping them. I've watched them a lot this season and their issues are:

1) They won a lot of games by 1 goal last season - they didn't score many (I think Mousset was their top scorer with 6) but conversely their defence conceded very few.

2) The biggest major factor in their decline is their defence - it leaks a lot more goals. Why? They've lost Henderson. Jack O'connell picked up a long term injury. The replacements have been poor so they're conceding more but still not scoring many.

3) Their summer singings and replacements by Wilder have been poor. Ramsdale is a poor keeper, he looked poor at Bournemouth too. He'll be okay at Championship level but £20m on him is such poor scouting, especially considering it puts him in the top 10 GK transfers of all time.

Ampadu in midfield and defence is young and will improve, but he's not good enough currently at either positions. Luckily only a loan.

Brewster imo is terrible and an incredible waste at £25m. He has no link-up play and no runs in behind. True they barely create anything with no midfield which may be masking his finishing, but he's only real contribution currently is running and he's probably the 4th best striker at Sheffield currently, which is saying something as the other 3 (Mousset, Mcgoldrick, Mcburnie) don't score many.

Of their summer signings, Burke has been fairly impressive. Bogle also looked very impressive in the game where he scored 2 games back, but for some reason Wilder hasn't played him since. A bit baffling since theyre struggling to create.

Given that Wilder also signed Mcgoldrick and Berge for about £45m combined, I'd have to question how good he is in the transfer market and how much of the current squad he built and what prices he paid for them. A lot of wasted money.

4) Tactics. Teams have figured out how to beat Sheffields back 5 - keep your wingers or full backs out wide hugging the touch line forces Sheffields wingback to drop and defend - which means Sheffield are forced to become a back 5 more often than they're a back 3. This causes them to basically have no midfield. Probably the last 5 matches I've watched from Sheffield, they've had no midfield and lose the ball after 3 or 4 passes. Their modus operandi is having Mcgoldrick drop deep and create - he does it well but it's not enough.

I think Wilder either needs to change formations or step down because currently with the formation they're playing they won't pick up many more points. They should switch to a 4-3-3 - their defence will concede goals regardless but this way with a midfield they may actually score some. I'd line up something like this and try to get goals:

Ramsdale
The problem is his Irishness. It makes him a striker that doesn't score goals.

Pep's Suit

People can defend them as much as they want but honestly this team is a disgrace. No PL club should be this bad. However, it serves them right after funding Pool's summer window. £23m during covid... What the hell was that??!

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
So weird to think Sheffield United were pushing the Champions League places the last time a fan was inside Bramall Lane and Villa were relegation fodder the last time a fan was inside Villa park. Here we are Villa are looking like one of the better sides in the league and Sheffield United the worst in history.

SAFMUTD

What the feck has happened to them? They were defensively solid last season and definitely highly motivated, now they look as poor as it can get.

Can't remember any team being so poor since 2007/2008 derby.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Shows the difference a top keeper makes. That’s what’s swung them and Villa in totally opposite directions.

stubie

What the feck has happened to them? They were defensively solid last season and definitely highly motivated, now they look as poor as it can get.

Can't remember any team being so poor since 2007/2008 derby.
Huddersfield were shocking a couple of seasons back!

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Shows the difference a top keeper makes. That’s what’s swung them and Villa in totally opposite directions.
This is the crux of it. He has two very important signings to make in the summer, and honestly, he couldn’t have gotten them more wrong. It was fatal.

Ramsdale has ruined the back lines confidence and saves literally nothing that he “shouldn’t”. Henderson has great stats for saves last season and was routinely pulling off saves that other keepers weren’t.

He then managed to sign a striker who contributes absolutely nothing in the short term, creates nothing and scores nothing.

Basically, he had two massive signings to make, and he scored a 2/10 on both of them. A complete disaster.

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
Please don’t turn this into a “missing Dean Henderson thread” there’s FAR more to it. Ramsdale has been awful but we’d be in the same position with Dean still here.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Please don’t turn this into a “missing Dean Henderson thread” there’s FAR more to it. Ramsdale has been awful but we’d be in the same position with Dean still here.
Do you think wilder has been given enough time at this stage?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Do you think wilder has been given enough time at this stage?
Ha. They should keep him at the club even if they go down. Hes been brilliant for then over a few seasons. One poor season shouldnt negate that and they are not staying up even if they change the manager

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
Ha. They should keep him at the club even if they go down. Hes been brilliant for then over a few seasons. One poor season shouldnt negate that and they are not staying up even if they change the manager
Finally. Some sense being spoken.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
They really needed a good goalscorer. Brewster was a big gamble that has not paid off.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Wasn’t there a few mouthy Sheffield United supporters giving it the big ‘un here last season? Or was that Leicester I’m confusing them with? I know for certain there were a few Leicester clowns here but could’ve swore we had a few gobby Sheffield United blowins too...

P.S. This isn’t a ‘rival fan’ criticism. Rival fans are the best thing about this forum. And, yes, even that lot! :D

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Wasn’t there a few mouthy Sheffield United supporters giving it the big ‘un here last season? Or was that Leicester I’m confusing them with? I know for certain there were a few Leicester clowns here but could’ve swore we had a few gobby Sheffield United blowins too...

P.S. This isn’t a ‘rival fan’ criticism. Rival fans are the best thing about this forum. And, yes, even that lot! :D
Think that was Leicester, @Blades1889 seems a very level headed guy and I can't remember many other Sheffield posters.

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United

I think I’m the only one if I’m correct. I don’t personally think I’ve given it the big un, I don’t have much to brag about.

AshRK

This should be a lesson for all the clubs to stop buying players from Liverpool. Bournemouth spent crazy amount on their duds and got relegated and not SFU buying brewster and wasting money have also found the same.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Interested in your perspective. I kind of feel like at this stage its best to let Wilder try a rebuild in the Championship. It's not like there's any opportunity to appoint someone who can keep you up this season and I would assume the best person to try and gain promotion next season is Wilder, or do you think that would result in more of a downward spiral?

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
Interested in your perspective. I kind of feel like at this stage its best to let Wilder try a rebuild in the Championship. It's not like there's any opportunity to appoint someone who can keep you up this season and I would assume the best person to try and gain promotion next season is Wilder, or do you think that would result in more of a downward spiral?
Has to be given that opportunity. We are built to play a specific system and every player is part of that. A new manager cannot save us at this point.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
There are obviously other factors, but he simply hasn’t bought well for a premier league stay. He gets all the credit in the world for the job he has done there, but he got it badly wrong in the summer.

The right signings could have lifted the team.

Melbourne Red

Still hasn't given Rain Dog another chance
Supports
Liverpool

Given that Wilder also signed Mcgoldrick and Berge for about £45m combined, I'd have to question how good he is in the transfer market and how much of the current squad he built and what prices he paid for them. A lot of wasted money.

Ramsdale
Amazingly detailed and perceptive analysis of a random opposition team.

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
There are obviously other factors, but he simply hasn’t bought well for a premier league stay. He gets all the credit in the world for the job he has done there, but he got it badly wrong in the summer.

The right signings could have lifted the team.
The thing is he wanted some fantastic players but they opted to go elsewhere for better wages. Watkins, Cash, Robinson few examples. We had limited options really but I do agree they haven’t been good enough.

Lee565

It is amazing that they can't buy a win in a such heavily unpredictable season of results. They look set take derby's record of lowest points tally in a premier league season and I have no sympathy for them by helping beef up liverpool's bank balance by buying Brewster for so much

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
When’s the earliest they can be mathematically relegated? Surely a foregone conclusion at this stage. Think they’ll be officially gone by March.

Amerifan

Has to be given that opportunity. We are built to play a specific system and every player is part of that. A new manager cannot save us at this point.
This is the key point. Replacing Wilder won’t keep you up this season. Squad talent just isn’t there.

Use the rest of the season blooding youth and figuring out transfer priorities for the summer. Have a look into scouting and the DOF, upgrade as needed.

A few key squad upgrades and Wilder will have you back in the PL after next season.

Number TwentyFive

Well 45m for Berge seems rather a lot!
It was only £22 mill and that is not a lot for him. And I wonder how much you have seen him play this season because he has by far been their best player this season until he got injured. He is probably the only player that has performed for them. They probably get a higher fee for him if he leaves when they get relegated.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
David Ramsdale is awful. No way Eze’s goal should have been allowed to pass him.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
No point in sacking Wilder now, their season is already fecked. Besides, he deserves some loyalty from them after getting them promoted and for the very good last season as well.

It's nice to see they're giving him the chance to get them back up next season, the same way Norwich did with Farke.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Normally for teams sticking with their managers to give them a chance to get back up, assuming Sheff Utd do in fact end up going down when that manager did well to be in the league to begin with. The obvious example that everyone points to is Burnley and Sean Dyche, the stability really helped them.

If these sort of results continue for Wilder all season though I don't know. The players confidence will be shot and maybe Wilder's too, it would be a big ask to go from losing every week to expect to win most weeks. It's a bit different if a team battled to survive, was in the fight and just went down but even then it can be difficult to rally the following year. When you're not even in the battle, when you're defeated before you go on the pitch that is going to be hard to turn around. Perhaps a squad and managerial overhaul would be best. What they're doing now is new record lows after all and it's not like we haven't seen teams bereft of confidence get relegated twice in two years either.

There's merit in both arguments for me.

Might do some research in a bit, how many have stuck with managers and came up again, how many failed and did the manner in which they went down matter? Did teams who got 35 points have a better chance than those who got 25 at coming back up, did they have a better chance than those got 20 etc? With Sheffield United there's going to be nobody else to really compare them to but perhaps there's general trends.