Shelvey red card

surf

Shelvey was having his version of a bad hair day, like Mascherano at Old Trafford a few years ago, and was an accident waiting to happen.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
For what it's worth Dermot Gallagher was on SSN earlier and said he agreed with the decision but felt Evans might have got a Yellow. He did mention Evans legs being lower and winning the ball, felt Evans had excessive force and deserved a Yellow but pointed out how difficult it was to punish both players.

Whoever come off worse there was going to get the decision in their favour I feel.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
sarcasm I know...

But for all their domination which I accept...and they had double on target as us. The game is about taking your chances.

btw I don't call Surez tripping himself over and over as chances.
suarez should have fell normally if he was contacted enough by evans to warant a fall (which he wasnt)

His farcical "shot by a sniper" dive lost them that spot kick by putting doubt in the refs mind.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
suarez should have fell normally if he was contacted enough by evans to warant a fall (which he wasnt)

His farcical "shot by a sniper" dive lost them that spot kick by putting doubt in the refs mind.
the 'first' incident...even the idiot commentators we had...said..'clear dive'. Halsey was not going to get conned. You could see that.

He therefore was not going to get the benefit of the doubt from him.

I thought Halsey showed spine to Gerrard and the baying crowd. In that respect I believe he did give some 50/50 calls our way. But still he denied an RVP penalty claim.

The one bullet we dodged was the RVP tackle. I thought it was a red.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
the 'first' incident...even the idiot commentators we had...said..'clear dive'. Halsey was not going to get conned. You could see that.

I thought Halsey showed spine to Gerrard and the baying crowd. In that respect I believe he did give some 50/50 calls our way. But still he denied an RVP penalty claim.

Are you sure about that?

It was one footed, and not over the top, so what about it makes it a sending off exactly?!

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead

Nowt wrong with the RVP tackle IIRC. Had one leg tucked behind, won the ball, Yellow at most.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband

for me no, rvp was on the ground, with some control over his legs.

I still cant see how valencia got that peno, id be snapping if that was given against us.
Halsey did well but he made a few bad calls in that game
But feck it, its only a matter of time before we end up on the back of bad decisions again.

Look at everton, robbed last weekend but got away with murder on saturday.
swings and roundabouts

Red Dreams

for me no, rvp was on the ground, with some control over his legs.

I still cant see how valencia got that peno, id be snapping if that was given against us.
Halsey did well but he made a few bad calls in that game
But feck it, its only a matter of time before we end up on the back of bad decisions again.

Look at everton, robbed last weekend but got away with murder on saturday.
swings and roundabouts
We had Wynalda who called teh Valencia peno a dive. Like heck it was. There was illegal contact. Ok he was looking for it. But when I saw Johnso coming in from behind...I said penalty before he made contact. ...and he had no complaints.

TheReligion

Abusive
It can sometimes help in the eyes of the referee... particularly in incidents like this, but their have been plenty of examples (Kompany last season for instance) where it doesn't... and that was a sending off everyday of the week in my book.

If Evans had done the exact same tackle (including winning the ball) to a Liverpool player in posession, he could well have been sent off...
Doesnt matter if you go in with 2 feet like Evans did.
I think you are both missing my point, in the context of this debate (should Evans have been sent off too) I think he has been helped by the fact he actually won the ball whereas Shelvey didn't.

TheReligion

Abusive
For what it's worth Dermot Gallagher was on SSN earlier and said he agreed with the decision but felt Evans might have got a Yellow. He did mention Evans legs being lower and winning the ball, felt Evans had excessive force and deserved a Yellow but pointed out how difficult it was to punish both players.

Whoever come off worse there was going to get the decision in their favour I feel.
This is spot on I think and what I was saying initially

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I think you are both missing my point, in the context of this debate (should Evans have been sent off too) I think he has been helped by the fact he actually won the ball whereas Shelvey didn't.
No, I agree that, it probably helped him in the eyes of the referee. However, the point still stands that a) it shouldn't help him and b) he could well have been sent off for it.

Red Dreams

He was sent of because with a name and face like that he looks like he'd start a fight at his own big fat gypsy wedding.

On that basis, he deserved it.
:lol:

His tweet was so endearing to the scousers. Sure he will get an extended contract like the racist

He said: “I apologise to the fans for getting sent off but no way was I pulling out of that tackle in a game of that importance. I’m sorry. I have also apologised to Sir Alex , just where I come from people don’t grass people up to get someone sent off.”

surf

And his prior reputation. It was a tough one to give anyway, even if it wasn't Suarez.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Personally for me the most notable thing about Shelvey's redcard was him blaming Sir Alex for it. We like to think its just on RAWK that they believe Utd control the FA but Shelvey's reaction proves the bizarre conspiracy theories run right through the club. I guess Rafa's rant was a genuine reflection of the dressing room feeling. No wonder the Suarez defence case was so crazy..

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
You could make compelling arguments for either a yellow or red on the challenge but combined with the earlier one that he should've been booked for, a sending off was deserved...For me

He was terrible anyway, worst part of a Liverpool side that looked pretty damn good in that 1st half, I must say

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
I can't believe more hasn't been made of Shelveys mental reaction to SAF and the insult of an apology this morning on Twitter. He should be banned for an extra few games for bringing the game into disrepute. Of course he probably won't be cos the FA and media will be afraid of offending them. It's getting really close to dangerous proportions now how much this mental streak of running through their team and fans.

Rednails

Apparently Shelvey has been lucky not to be red carded in other matches ths season. Is he a scouser by birth by any chance?

alastair

ignorant
I can't believe more hasn't been made of Shelveys mental reaction to SAF and the insult of an apology this morning on Twitter. He should be banned for an extra few games for bringing the game into disrepute. Of course he probably won't be cos the FA and media will be afraid of offending them. It's getting really close to dangerous proportions now how much this mental streak of running through their team and fans.
It was hardly mental. If you think that was mental, I wonder what planet you're living on.

He'll have a three match ban for a poor challenge. That'll do nicely.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
It was hardly mental. If you think that was mental, I wonder what planet you're living on.

He'll have a three match ban for a poor challenge. That'll do nicely.
No no no. I don't mean that this Shelvey incident in itself was mental. I mean the whole complex and mentality that the Scousers have about United and the FA controlling everything just to keep them in their place. It was there in the background for a long time, but when Rafa bought into it hook line and sinker the whole club, players, staff, fans, and subsequent management have also bought into it. I think for the players and staff it's probably because it's easier to blame outside forces however imaginary than take responsibility, but for the fans they believe it's a very real thing and that IMO is 100% mental.

alastair

ignorant
No no no. I don't mean that this Shelvey incident in itself was mental. I mean the whole complex and mentality that the Scousers have about United and the FA controlling everything just to keep them in their place. It was there in the background for a long time, but when Rafa bought into it hook line and sinker the whole club, players, staff, fans, and subsequent management have also bought into it. I think for the players and staff it's probably because it's easier to blame outside forces however imaginary than take responsibility, but for the fans they believe it's a very real thing and that IMO is 100% mental.
Oh, ok. I misunderstood.

I don't think it's as bad as all that, but quite why Shelvey pointed at Ferguson was beyond me. I just think it's part of the attitude of the club. When expectations are so high but you don't come up to them, blaming others tends to be the inevitable consequence. As far as I'm concerned, it was at its worst under Dalglish where he just retreated into this bizarre shell where he thought the whole world just wanted them to lose every game.

Denis' cuff

should give him an extra game ban for being called "Jonjo" (where's the "spew" smiley?)

MUFC1902

My first reaction on seeing the challenge was Shelvey deserved a red, and no replay has yet to change my opinion. It was two-footed, reckless and he had to walk. I failed to see where he got any part of the ball, which Liverpool fans and a few commentators keep bringing up as some sort of defence. Evans was lucky, but I only noticed that fact and that both his feet were up (and he won the ball) after a specific replay, maybe the fourth or fifth shown. You can't blame a bloke who is making a decision in a split second on something he's seen from a usually obstructed viewpoint, especially when most of us draw our conclusions after seeing the umpteenth replay from six different angles.

As for the various penalty claims - I thought Evans' foul on Agger in the box in the first half was probably a spot kick; we were lucky there. The Evans/Suarez one wasn't a penalty for me because Evans knicked the ball off his toe before Suarez went over. Sure, players sometimes just fall over, but why exaggerate the fall if that's the case? And I thought it was definitely a foul on Valencia. Johnson clipped his heels, and on the replay you can see he gave Valencia a shove in the back too.

Denis' cuff

My first reaction on seeing the challenge was Shelvey deserved a red, and no replay has yet to change my opinion. It was two-footed, reckless and he had to walk. I failed to see where he got any part of the ball, which Liverpool fans and a few commentators keep bringing up as some sort of defence. Evans was lucky, but I only noticed that fact and that both his feet were up (and he won the ball) after a specific replay, maybe the fourth or fifth shown. You can't blame a bloke who is making a decision in a split second on something he's seen from a usually obstructed viewpoint, especially when most of us draw our conclusions after seeing the umpteenth replay from six different angles.

As for the various penalty claims - I thought Evans' foul on Agger in the box in the first half was probably a spot kick; we were lucky there. The Evans/Suarez one wasn't a penalty for me because Evans knicked the ball off his toe before Suarez went over. Sure, players sometimes just fall over, but why exaggerate the fall if that's the case? And I thought it was definitely a foul on Valencia. Johnson clipped his heels, and on the replay you can see he gave Valencia a shove in the back too.
agree with all that - Evans grabbing Agger was stupid and he was lucky it wasn't seen. Having said that, it happens all the time without consequence but hey, this is United. Vidic is another culprit with the shirt/arm grabbing but it really goes on all the time and I doubt there's a team which doesn't commit the offence every week. Refs largely turn a blind eye but Vidic was pulled up at Portsmouth a while ago and although we all knew it was right in the letter of the law, it was unusual to concede a pen. Haven't seen many/any??? given since but they do vary in circumstances and culpability. Wouldn't fancy our chances with that twat who always refs us vs Chav$ on duty

M'n'M

"Keane will be awesome alongside Torres."
You don't think it's as bad as that??

Have you read RAWK???
I think there's more of you fellas reading RAWK than sensible Liverpool fans. I honestly don't think RAWK is the Liverpool equivalent of the Cafe. Any sensible Liverpool fan doesn't go near it and it's reputation preceeds it even on other Liverpool forums.