Shinji Kagawa | Signs for Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plan M

Also if the quotes are to be believed and we are looking for a #10, that implies we are looking for a shift away from 4-4-2 to a lone striker system, probably 4-2-3-1.
About bloody time too! You Caftards and your obsession with 4-4-2! We're the only football forum on the planet that still thinks we should play that system, it's bizarre.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
About bloody time too! You Caftards and your obsession with 4-4-2! We're the only football forum on the planet that still thinks we should play that system, it's bizarre.
Only because at present we don't have the players for that formation

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He is actually playing the left wing role of a 4/2/3/1 as an inside playmaker and certainly impressing, involved in the last 2 goals majorly.

I didn't realise he could play this role, certainly another plus!

Neutral

BTV
I thought he was 'ok', outshone by a couple of others. But Japan were very impressive...the passing and movement.

England would kill to have with that sort of comfort and ability on the ball.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Can't see why Fergie would want to do that and I'm confident he's not going to do anything that will hamper Welbeck's progress. As Fergie has said in the past, the young players at this club are his priority.
I doubt Fergie would extend Welbeck any special treatment. He can continue to progress, whether he's an anointed starter or someone who comes off the bench. Fergie has shown that he's perfectly capable of dropping players after they had very good seasons. Hernandez and Berba's reduced roles are ample proof of this. If he buys Kagawa, it's likely that he wants to actually use him.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Can't see why Fergie would want to do that and I'm confident he's not going to do anything that will hamper Welbeck's progress. As Fergie has said in the past, the young players at this club are his priority.
There's no point in playing this game as to who he'll replace. If Welbs has a bad run he'll get dropped, if Nani, Valencia, Young anyone frankly besides Rooney including Kagawa (provided he's signed) has a bad run they'll get dropped. Fergie will have an idea of what he wants Kagawa to do in the XI and see if he can do it, if he doesn't or if other players are showing too much to drop them he'll squeeze him in just like when Welbs was playing for a period wide left or whatever. There's no telling who will get dropped, it will all depend on form and if competition raises the consistency of performances across the board well that's a great selection headache for Sir Alex to have. For me Kagawa is technically gifted enough and tactically aware enough to play anywhere from centre midfield to behind the striker. That's the most important thing both to be thinking about and grateful for.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
He'd be wasted as a winger, and given our wealth of talent there it would take a massive injury crisis for Fergie to play him there.

fergieisold

He'd be wasted as a winger, and given our wealth of talent there it would take a massive injury crisis for Fergie to play him there.
I agree, he looks very dangerous through the middle. He looks calm on the ball, doesn't bother trying to constantly beat a man or do something spectacular. He'll sit back and play dangerous balls all day and I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do next season, that's if he signs of course!

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I doubt Fergie would extend Welbeck any special treatment. He can continue to progress, whether he's an anointed starter or someone who comes off the bench. Fergie has shown that he's perfectly capable of dropping players after they had very good seasons. Hernandez and Berba's reduced roles are ample proof of this. If he buys Kagawa, it's likely that he wants to actually use him.
We'll see what happens. Welbeck is a completely different case from Berbatov and Hernandez, he will continue to be a first choice in the coming season.

pocco

loco
There's no point in playing this game as to who he'll replace. If Welbs has a bad run he'll get dropped, if Nani, Valencia, Young anyone frankly besides Rooney including Kagawa (provided he's signed) has a bad run they'll get dropped. Fergie will have an idea of what he wants Kagawa to do in the XI and see if he can do it, if he doesn't or if other players are showing too much to drop them he'll squeeze him in just like when Welbs was playing for a period wide left or whatever. There's no telling who will get dropped, it will all depend on form and if competition raises the consistency of performances across the board well that's a great selection headache for Sir Alex to have. For me Kagawa is technically gifted enough and tactically aware enough to play anywhere from centre midfield to behind the striker. That's the most important thing both to be thinking about and grateful for.
It wasn't me that said he'll be brought in to replace another player.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
We play nearly 60 games a season. We'll have 7 main attacking options for the 4 attacking positions - Nani, Rooney, Valencia, Young, Welbeck, Hernandez and Kagawa. That looks like a great balance. Thats about 35 starts each, although you can expect a couple players to start a few more (Nani, Rooney) and some to start a few less (Hernandez and whoever is not having such a good season).

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Why wouldn't I ? He plays there quite impressively for his national team, like I say, he is an option, we all know he can play in the 10 role as well. I have already explained I would expect him to start out left but then drift inside with Valencia or Nani holding the width on the other side.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Why wouldn't I ? He plays there quite impressively for his national team, like I say, he is an option, we all know he can play in the 10 role as well. I have already explained I would expect him to start out left but then drift inside with Valencia or Nani holding the width on the other side.
Didn't see the game today nor have I ever seen him play for Japan but if you're saying he played wide today then that only strengthens my belief that when he signs that's where he'll play

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Didn't see the game today nor have I ever seen him play for Japan but if you're saying he played wide today then that only strengthens my belief that when he signs that's where he'll play
I wouldn't go so far as to say wide. He looks to start a lot from the left but has licence to roam.

Cina

He's not a wide player, and even if he was a wide player, he's not the sort of wide player we use. He'll be used in the middle more often than not.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
No, he plays in the middle with license to roam.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
We play nearly 60 games a season. We'll have 7 main attacking options for the 4 attacking positions - Nani, Rooney, Valencia, Young, Welbeck, Hernandez and Kagawa. That looks like a great balance. Thats about 35 starts each, although you can expect a couple players to start a few more (Nani, Rooney) and some to start a few less (Hernandez and whoever is not having such a good season).
Yeah, it's not that complicated is it? Add Giggsy for the 8th as back-up and that's a good section.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
----Carrick Scholes----
Nani - Rooney - Kagawa
------ Welbeck ---------

I hope we see that a lot, Nani holding the width, Welbeck pulling out to the left with Wayne shifting up and Kagawa drifting in pulling defenders everywhere with good movement.

Cleverly, Young, Valencia, Hernandez as options from the bench.
I say again, I expect we may start like that but I would expect the front four to rotate their positions.

Don't know if maybe Kagawa could play similarly like he did in the champions league against Arsenal and sit a little deeper in which case you could swap him with Scholes which opens up a couple more options in that you can play Welbeck from the left with Hernandez up top with Kagawa next too Carrick. Or similar but with one of either Welbeck or Hernandez up top with Young on the left. Or Move Nani left and put Valencia on the right.

Options, Options, Options.

fergieisold

Looked like he was playing on the left of a front 3. However he looks nothing like a winger. Always coming inside to the middle with the ball, so I can't see him being signed to play out wide.

pocco

loco
He played on the left today ut finished the game on the right. He's not a traditional winger, but contrary to what some might think, our current wingers do like to cut in. Don't see how that's an argument that Kagawa won't be playing out wide. I also think his link up play with our full backs could be seen as a positive.

He doesn't play out wide for Dortmund, though. I'm just not ruling it out as he looked comfortable enough there and I think we'd me more than happy to allow him to play the same way here.

Status
Not open for further replies.