Shithousery by your team

Oranges038

What's wrong with that? It was a tactic of Fergie's that our players would harangue referees and constantly be on top of them. They wouldn't get away with it now to the same extent, but if there's a chance that it influences them in any way then it should be done.
By all means have a word about a big decision. But, what's wrong with moaning at everything decsion the referee makes?

It's childish and pathetic. And it has the opposite effect of influencing them negatively.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Football is at its best when the shithousery is rife. For a top team City are extremely vanilla and it's just not the same.
Fernandinho was a master shithouse - hardly got booked for the most cynical fouls.

Maticmaker

Am I mixing this 'shithousing' up with what use to be called 'gamesmanship'?

"All's fair ..etc. but does shithousing include what used to be classed as 'over the to' (i.e. in gamesmanship terms) stuff, like spitting at an opponent, or implying an opposition players wife/mother a hooker, etc.?

I suppose if everyone dishing it out can also take it themselves... well live and let live, but there is nothing more pathetic than someone trying to get their own back and getting caught out/carded.

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
Have watched Luis Suarez live (and dive) in action for a whole year when he played for Groningen. Absolutely hated him and his antics for the rest of his career, but it's funny how I love it when a player does it for us.

I can't wait to see those 4 at United at the same time. Antony is probably 10 times worse than Bruno when it comes to theatrics.

izec

Part of modern football. Most top teams do it one way or another. The couple of percentages that can make a difference in tight games.

justsomebloke

Have watched Luis Suarez live (and dive) in action for a whole year when he played for Groningen. Absolutely hated him and his antics for the rest of his career, but it's funny how I love it when a player does it for us.

I can't wait to see those 4 at United at the same time. Antony is probably 10 times worse than Bruno when it comes to theatrics.
Excessive remonstrating with the ref is I must admit one thing I don't like to see from our own players either. I suppose it matters whether you do it calculatedly or on impulse, but it just seems to point to a weak mentality, a susceptibility to get frustrated about things you can't change and shouldn't waste energy on.

El Jefe

I love it when its tough shithousery but you can also play without the theatrics. McT is a physical shithouse but I don't really like antics because I often feel he does it to cover up his limitations on the pitch.
Bruno's frustrates me as did Herrera's because act like pansies. I have no respect for the rolling around and holding your ankles after the smallest of touches.

The shithousery from Martinez, Casemiro etc I like that because its physical and meant to be intimidating but they can actually play excellent football without it. It just add the extra edge to their game.

Baneofthegame

Hate surrounding the ref, Martinez had some great shithousery and is a prime example of how to do it right in my opinion.

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson
Nah. That ball holding for Liverpool's goal was classic shithousery as it wound them up no end and wasted more time. Quintessential shithousing.
The best was that it was shithousery where he was in the right. There's nothing better

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
I still don't see how Fernandes' refusal to give the ball to the Liverpool players was an issue. Ball is for United when it crosses the line, why are they complaining?

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I hate it, I hate it when the opposition do it so I would also hate it if my team does it.

If you encourage it then you have no right to complain when other teams do it, and it also continues to perpetuate this culture. Diving, playacting to waste time or get people sent off, intimidating the ref, attacking people to try and act hard.

The dive from Bruno was pathetic, didn't like it when Martinez feigned injury as well, absolutely hated it when Ashley Young pushed Di Maria into the railings and the fans started praising him for it.

Don't need things like this in the sport and I only hope referees take firmer action to prevent it.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I absolutely love it and some of my favorite Spurs players of recent years have been brilliant at it - Lamela especially and now Romero and Richarlison. Any player that can wind up the opposition and generally be an annoying prick is fine by me. Every team needs one or two.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I still don't see how Fernandes' refusal to give the ball to the Liverpool players was an issue. Ball is for United when it crosses the line, why are they complaining?
Because he's doing it to waste time.

Everyone does it but it's annoying as feck when you want to play football and the opposition doesn't.

tomaldinho1

I like shithousery when it’s not diving. That Bruno dive was awful.

Winding players up though and tactical fouls, pressuring refs is something we’ve been behind on. There’s a reason Fabinho and Fernandinho seemingly could not be booked until the 7th challenge or so.

Greck

Hate it and especially hate how hypocritical fans are about it. If Suarez was one of ours I'd still hate him for it

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Maupay is a massive shithouse player for us and I love him because he’s ours and will be sorry to see him go if he leaves as expected.

I imagine everyone else in the league fecking hates him as he’s a proper nob to play against!

PieCrust

We certainly need something to light a spark for this team. ETH implementing a siege mentality coupled with some top notch shithousery, honestly, is an approach I will enjoy. Marintez and Bruno could be top class in this tactic.

The catch though, is that we have to actually be winning / ahead in matches for this to work for top effect. Most teams, we cannot technically play with for 90 mins, but we can hit on the counter and bully them for 90 mins.

Ibi Dreams

Because he's doing it to waste time.

Everyone does it but it's annoying as feck when you want to play football and the opposition doesn't.
Salah ended up wasting more time trying to get the ball off him

It was United's ball, he's got no right to be demanding it from Bruno

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Excessive remonstrating with the ref is I must admit one thing I don't like to see from our own players either. I suppose it matters whether you do it calculatedly or on impulse, but it just seems to point to a weak mentality, a susceptibility to get frustrated about things you can't change and shouldn't waste energy on.
It could work beautifully if done right, as wasting time by arguing with the ref could buy time for your team mates to compose themselves and focus.

The most famous example must be the 1950 world cup final(the deciding game to be precise).

Moonwalker

I loathe it. The only dilemma I have is whether I hate the players who do it t more, or the fans who embrace it.

I'm not quixotic and reactionary enough to think it's reversible though. Just a fact of life.

The responses in this thread also help to explain, in part, the unyielding chauvinism for one of our former managers.

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
Martinez was great at it, that smash into Salah at the very start rattled them and gave the crowd and the other lads a big rise. Milner even joined in shithousing the rest of the Liverpool team.

scottser

i agree with those above in saying that as shithousers go, bruno is in the ha'penny place. refs know him too well and his dives are obvious, whereas ronaldo or robert pires knew how to draw a foul like nobody else in the game. as for niggly fouls and mouthing to opponents, he's no diego costa and certainly no carlos puyol. he's not even a craig bellamy.
if you're going to do it, do it properly ffs.

Cloud7

I love it. Guys like Ramos etc are great entertainment for this. You hate when you’re playing against them and you love them when they are on your team.

Valencia Shin Crosses

I loved Martinez's side of it, being a bit dirty and giving shoves etc.

But I fecking hate Bruno's wailing on the ground every two seconds trying to draw fouls and acting like a cnut. I would have like the shithousing after their goal much more if he hadn't already been on a yellow from being a diving cnut.

So yeah, stop diving. Everything else is fair game

Boondog

You definitely need a couple instigator types if you want a great team. The types who won't back down even when they should. Martinez is one for sure.

Bruno might irritate me more than the other team's fans. The ball thing was too classless for my taste, but I am sure Liverpool fans wanted to kill him so in a strange way that's a plus. I have a love/hate relationship with Bruno but I will say that if he keeps playing like he did the other night I'm behind him. :lol:

Abraxas

I'm not sure about it. To me, it's better to focus on becoming a great football side rather than going full Atletico Madrid, who mostly seem to con their way through matches in a very cynical manner. I don't think they were massively better than us in terms of quality of play when we met, but they were smarter and messed us around so it does work.

The thing is, in the PL it's about relentless consistency and ultimately quality. Rolling around, time wasting, getting people booked aren't going to put a big dent in those requirements.

But sure, we have to also become more street wise. We've been a bit soft over the last few years. In cup competitions and Europe especially, you need a bit of nous, I just don't think it's going to be a massive focus for the manager.

lex talionis

There's shitehousery and there's whingery. The latter has to be purged from Bruno's game.

TheReligion

Abusive
It's only good if we benefit from it.

Bruno is fecking shit at it. Always goes down easy and never gets frees because refs know he's a diver, always staying down "injured" for no fecking reason and argues with refs to no effect.

Worst "shithouser" I've ever seen.
Sure seemed to get under Klopps skin Monday night..

iHicksy

I don't like diving as it's blatant cheating. But shothousery adds another level to the game in the way that the likes of Martinez, Rojo, Keane etc would do it. There's absolutely nothing wrong with bending the rules and taking a little longer to take a throw in, or going hard in on someone who studded one of your team mates. I love it. Don't forget there were refs that have openly admitted they would give calls to United when it was 50/50 because they were terrified of Keane. Those are the kinds of players I want in our team, winners.

I'd take a team full of people willing to do what it takes to win, keeping hold of the ball, telling the attacker he's shit etc over a team who are going about hugging and high fiving Jordan Henderson and dabbing with the opposition players in the tunnel before kick off.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I'm not a fan of Bruno's whinging and playacting at all. Maybe if he had a decent game once in a while it would help.

On the other hand it's about time we had characters in the team that every hates to play against, rather than the laughing stock of recent years.

el3mel

Eh..I honestly found what Bruno did after their goal to be embarrassing and another ref would have given him another yellow and sent him off, putting us in a great problem for the rest of those 8 minutes. He came out of it looking like a crybaby to be honest. Shithousery is fine, but this one was stupid.