Shooting in Dayton, Ohio | 4th August 2019

UncleBob

Completely desentisized to shootings in the US now.

This the price of your second amendment.
Yup.

There's another shooting in Ohio, at least 7 killed, but it all feels a bit "That's America for you". It's like reports of bombs going off in Iraq, hey who could've imagined, and then onto the next news

Carolina Red

Staff
Norwegian state media saying that at least 7 people have been killed in another, presumably completely unrelated, mass-shooting in Ohio.
Yep.
There are reports of an active shooter and mass shooting at Ned Peppers bar in Dayton, Ohio just hours after a gunman in El Paso, Texas shot and killed 20 people at a Walmart. At least seven people may be dead in Dayton, and authorities referred to it as a “mass casualty incident” on the scanner.

“Shots fired! Shots fired!” an officer shouts in archived scanner audio, which you can listen to here. The dispatcher indicates the shooting occurred in the Oregon District. At one point, an officer said on the scanner that it looked like 9 to 10 people were shot. That’s preliminary information because the situation was unfolding quickly.

“We got shots fired. We got multiple people down. We need multiple medics…We need to shut the whole street down….We think there’s one shooter. He’s down. We’re looking for a second shooter,” says an officer in the audio. (There are often incorrect reports of multiple shooters in the early moments of active shooter incidents, and it was clear that officers were trying to get a handle on a chaotic situation with possibly conflicting early information on that point.)
https://heavy.com/news/2019/08/dayton-ohio-active-shooter-shooting/amp/

nimic

something nice
Scout
Some guy on Reddit:

EDIT: A photo of the deceased shooter is going around on Twitter. I will not be providing it. However this confirms the shooter was a young white male with a black mask covering half of his face
What are the odds this is inspired by the other shooting? Unlikely that they are directly related, but who knows. I haven't seen the picture, mind, nor will I try to find it, so take this with a grain of salt. I generally try to avoid seeing dead people.

Other guy who claims to live near there, and getting his information from friends who were there:

Edit: shooter down, white male in all black with an AR-15. Surprise surprise
fecking stop killing people, America.

Oldyella

Just crazy. Was going to reply saying there was already a thread about the shootings, then realised these are just different events a day after each other. America is screwed up. Nothing will change though, if they didnt after Sandy Hook, when will they?

Carolina Red

Staff
Just crazy. Was going to reply saying there was already a thread about the shootings, then realised these are just different events a day after each other. America is screwed up. Nothing will change though, if they didnt after Sandy Hook, when will they?
Best case scenario is progressives win the WH and Congress over the next few election cycles.

Marcelinho87

It's called 8chan and TheDonald (and other assorted scum of Reddit). Though TheDonald is more the dogwhistle, while 8chan is where people actually post their terrorist manifestos and other people cheer them on.
Seems to be a reddit dedicated to Donald Glover unless I am mistaken.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
It's called 8chan and TheDonald (and other assorted scum of Reddit). Though TheDonald is more the dogwhistle, while 8chan is where people actually post their terrorist manifestos and other people cheer them on.
While this is true, we have to move away from this narrative because it assumes that these types are radicalised only in the darkest corners of the dark web. And it takes no accountability to the fact that white supremacy is normalised within society.

Sure, 8chan might be a breeding ground for the terrorists but Fox News (& other media outlets who romanticise racism, and/or give racists a platform) is a breeding ground for judges, police officers, hiring managers, stay-at-home parents, and other every day ‘normal’ people - and they will get radicalised to believe the same rhetoric, just to a less violent degree. But because they are so normal, they blend into society and spread their views to others, that’s the real danger.

Cloud7

While this is true, we have to move away from this narrative because it assumes that these types are radicalised only in the darkest corners of the dark web. And it takes no accountability to the fact that white supremacy is normalised within society.

Sure, 8chan might be a breeding ground for the terrorists but Fox News (& other media outlets who romanticise racism, and/or give racists a platform) is a breeding ground for judges, police officers, hiring managers, stay-at-home parents, and other every day ‘normal’ people - and they will get radicalised to believe the same rhetoric, just to a less violent degree. But because they are so normal, they blend into society and spread their views to others, that’s the real danger.
Yup. All it takes is one of these ‘normal’, and I use that term very loosely, people, to mention these views to someone more unstable, for something like this to happen. Of course it won’t get spoken about though, or if it does enough white people will shout it down and try to make it a non issue.

UncleBob

"less violent degree" is a bit of an understatement, and also key...

Not sure why it's a narrative to move away from, the psychological effect shouldn't be underestimated. It's fine and dandy that this isn't only happening in the darkest corner of the dark web, and that mass media has a responsibility in all of this, but a certain site is dangerous as feck....

UncleBob

Yup. All it takes is one of these ‘normal’, and I use that term very loosely, people, to mention these views to someone more unstable, for something like this to happen. Of course it won’t get spoken about though, or if it does enough white people will shout it down and try to make it a non issue.
For something like what to happen ? Are we going to pretend that this might be the result of some random knob stating "Em Mexicans are taking our jobs" to someone unstable, and he just suddenly decided to go on a shooting spree ? Mass shootings like this, more often than not, is a result of someone that has slowly drifted further and further away into lala land, root cause can be any number of things (in Norway, Breiviks relationship with his mother while growing up is an important factor), with the shooter constantly on the search for someone that shares an equally strong opinion (and that's pretty far from your average mass media)

villain

Hates Beyoncé
"less violent degree" is a bit of an understatement, and also key...

Not sure why it's a narrative to move away from, the psychological effect shouldn't be underestimated. It's fine and dandy that this isn't only happening in the darkest corner of the dark web, and that mass media has a responsibility in all of this, but a certain site is dangerous as feck....
I’m not talking specifically about mass shooters.
I’m talking about the normalisation of racism & white supremacy within society - that isn’t confined to 8chan or reddit, it’s every on news publications, media outlets, opinion pieces, in the president’s speeches etc

Yet we wonder why racism isn’t going anywhere.

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
Have any of you ever actually went onto 4Chan (I assume 8Chan is the same?) The whole interface of that site and the way the whole thing works is all the evidence you need to realise that only people with a few screws missing would browse it for fun. I expected it to be like Reddit but it's no where near as user friendly, it's like some awful 90s style website.

I wonder is there a specific reason it's made like this? Maybe to deliberately make it stand out, like the internet equivalent of seeing someone wearing black socks and sandals, you just know to stay way at first sight.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Can some hackers shut that shit down for the good of humanity?

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
Honestly will not be going to the states again for a long time. Its just too dangerous.
I was looking into good places in the US to move to recently and a lot of high rated comments on Reddit were saying Texas. When you see shit like 20 people doing their weekly shop in Walmart and suddently being shot stone dead for no reason in that very State, it definitely makes me think twice. Rolling the dice with meeting a fate like that isn't very appealing to me at this point in my life.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I was looking into good places in the US to move to recently and a lot of high rated comments on Reddit were saying Texas. When you see shit like 20 people doing their weekly shop in Walmart and suddently being shot stone dead for no reason in that very State, it definitely makes me think twice. Rolling the dice with meeting a fate like that isn't very appealing to me at this point in my life.
I'd say, feck that, be sensible and move to Canada instead.

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
I'd say, feck that, be sensible and move to Canada instead.
It's definitely high on my list of considerations, all us Irish seem to be going there :D That fecked up incel dude went on a shooting in Canada last year too but think it's fair to say you're odds are a lot better over there alright!

UncleBob

I’m not talking specifically about mass shooters.
I’m talking about the normalisation of racism & white supremacy within society - that isn’t confined to 8chan or reddit, it’s every on news publications, media outlets, opinion pieces, in the president’s speeches etc

Yet we wonder why racism isn’t going anywhere.
I fail to see a normalization of white supremacy, must be isolated to USA.

Either way, it's a massive circle and there's no clear cut answer either. What's the solution, do a Sweden where they decided to put a positive spin on everything related to immigration, to the point of crimes not being reported ? Where every negative opinion on immigration is considered racist ?

The problem is that people are thick as feck.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
It's definitely high on my list of considerations, all us Irish seem to be going there :D That fecked up incel dude went on a shooting in Canada last year too but think it's fair to say you're odds are a lot better over there alright!
I spent 2 months in Vancouver and fell in love. I'd happily live there.

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW

Either way, it's a massive circle and there's no clear cut answer either. What's the solution, do a Sweden where they decided to put a positive spin on everything related to immigration, to the point of crimes not being reported ? Where every negative opinion on immigration is considered racist ?

Pretty much yeah, our species are programmed into thinking as herds and there's no shortage of lunatic shepherds out there nowadays, with the internet only widening the reach of their staff.

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
I spent 2 months in Vancouver and fell in love. I'd happily live there.
Think I recall hearing the weather isn't as unforgiving in the winter times in Vancouver as it can be in other parts of the country. Definitely a location to consider. But yeah in reference to all these shootings, feck moving to Texas anyway that's too much of a hotspot for this kind of shit for my liking.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Can some hackers shut that shit down for the good of humanity?
The place needs to be shut down. But the underlying issue is that a certain percentages of the us population are racist or supremacist or whatever label is appropriate.

While having a president like trump isnt helping a superficial thing like banning 8chan or a politically correct official wont make the crux of the matters go away. These vile people exists and use 8chan to communitate. The general view would made it as if it's the otherway around that because 8chan exist these people exist.

Marcelinho87

Have any of you ever actually went onto 4Chan (I assume 8Chan is the same?) The whole interface of that site and the way the whole thing works is all the evidence you need to realise that only people with a few screws missing would browse it for fun. I expected it to be like Reddit but it's no where near as user friendly, it's like some awful 90s style website.

I wonder is there a specific reason it's made like this? Maybe to deliberately make it stand out, like the internet equivalent of seeing someone wearing black socks and sandals, you just know to stay way at first sight.
It is supposed to be off putting.

Stops random people just casually browsing through it because it isn't user friendly.

villain

Hates Beyoncé

Just because you specifically fail to see it doesn’t it mean it doesn’t exist.
Nor does it mean you need to jump to another extreme measure to justify your position either.

Generalising that ‘people are thick as feck’ takes away accountability also, and it relies upon racists being stereotyped as slack jawed imbeciles, when that couldn’t be further from the truth.

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
It is supposed to be off putting.

Stops random people just casually browsing through it because it isn't user friendly.
Ah yeah I thought as much, cheers for the clarification. Well it definitely works, didn't even last 5 minutes trying to navigate that hotbed of shit.

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football

Went on to 8chan just after the CC shooting. It came across as a site just like that. Also need a few loose screws to post on it. I persevered through the posts but it was a real nutty place to be. Definitely not for fun.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I wonder if this'll be the theme now just to try and re-shock us a bit, two or more in a day?

Either way I'm past caring in the sense of believing they can do anything. Still feel horrible for the victims and their families and friends.

Half the country would have to undergo de-progamming and it'd cause mass hysteria when they realise just how insane this all is so until that happens, and it never will, there's no possible way anyone will budge an inch on this.

Can we just build the wall around the entire country for them and put a lid on top because sadly America is too far gone. It's a massive shame because I think every American I've ever met has been absolutely lovely and I'm sure the vast majoirty of the population are like that too but there's so, so much wrong with the entire country that the rest of the world would be better off without it.