Shooting in Dayton, Ohio | 4th August 2019

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
I wonder if this'll be the theme now just to try and re-shock us a bit, two or more in a day?

Either way I'm past caring in the sense of believing they can do anything. Still feel horrible for the victims and their families and friends.

Half the country would have to undergo de-progamming and it'd cause mass hysteria when they realise just how insane this all is so until that happens, and it never will, there's no possible way anyone will budge an inch on this.

Can we just build the wall around the entire country for them and put a lid on top because sadly America is too far gone. It's a massive shame because I think every American I've ever met has been absolutely lovely and I'm sure the vast majoirty of the population are like that too but there's so, so much wrong with the entire country that the rest of the world would be better off without it.
Trump is trying to build a wall but the Mexicans aren’t paying quickly enough.
Maybe these shootings will encourage them. (Too soon?).
Next up, one on the Canadian border.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Trump is trying to build a wall but the Mexicans aren’t paying quickly enough.
Maybe these shootings will encourage them. (Too soon?).
Next up, one on the Canadian border.
I'm sure the rest of us around the world would gladly chip in. Maybe make it a dome over the entire place like on The Simpsons Movie.

Get the Americans off this forum out whilst we can and their friends and families and then everyone else can live in the dome. Or have it as a giant version of the prison island/city from the 'Escape from ______' series.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Any confirmation on the shooter being another white male?

I spent four years stationed at WPAFB and was a regular patron to the Oregon District, and occasionally visited Ned Peppers. I was just at WPAFB this past April and part of a group that visited the District one night, and at one point sat on a patio bar right across from Ned Peppers. Chilling to think I could very well have been slain if circumstance and timing changed.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Honestly will not be going to the states again for a long time. Its just too dangerous.
While gun control is completley fecked up statistically its still probably safer than a night out in london... each state is it's own country in a way. If you add up all fatalities in Europe it might be similar ?

Just saying if you had a trip and you were cancelling it due to fear of getting murdered its not quite logical

Classical Mechanic

While gun control is completley fecked up statistically its still probably safer than a night out in london... each state is it's own country in a way. If you add up all fatalities in Europe it might be similar ?

Just saying if you had a trip and you were cancelling it due to fear of getting murdered its not quite logical
The murder rate in the US is about 5 times higher than in the majority of Western European countries.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Is that all combined ? If so I'm surprised. I still think the risk of getting murdered is pretty damn low. Maybe stats prove otherwise.

I'm sure there are some states that havent had a shooting in forever?
Yeah it's all combined. Western Europe despite it's many problems is generally safer than most American cities. It's also why Trump's criticism of Khan regarding London was laughable but I guess some bought into it.

Classical Mechanic

Is that all combined ? If so I'm surprised. I still think the risk of getting murdered is pretty damn low. Maybe stats prove otherwise.

The murder rate in the US is about 5 in 100000 and obviously some areas are much more dangerous than others. Your chance of being murdered as a middle class person is very low but the murder rate in the US is extremely bad for a developed nation.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

It’s like any country and any city in the world, there are places where you are as safe as you could possibly hope for and there are places you just wouldn’t visit.

The trouble with America is that there is a much higher chance of becoming a victim to an act of random violence in one of the places you would think you are as safe as you could possibly hope.

It’s still a minuscule chance you will get caught up in something but like the lottery, some people have that winning ticket and it’s up to you if you fancy your chances.

mancan92

No its not statistically safer at all. All the major cities in America have far higher crime rates

Nanook

There were 17,300 criminal homicides in the US in 2017. In the UK, Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Netherlands combined (similar population) there were around 3,000.

The US murder rate for males is about 7.5/100,000. If it stays like that for 76 years (the average life expectancy for males) then the lifetime risk of being murdered is about 1 in 175. The lifetime risk of being shot is much higher. To be fair this is skewed by the very high rates of violence in the black community.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
True. I’ve been here almost 30 years and never seen someone shot, or even seen someone pull a gun.
Scary stats above though.

Last edited:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
There were 17,300 criminal homicides in the US in 2017. In the UK, Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Netherlands combined (similar population) there were around 3,000.

The US murder rate for males is about 7.5/100,000. If it stays like that for 76 years (the average life expectancy for males) then the lifetime risk of being murdered is about 1 in 175. The lifetime risk of being shot is much higher. To be fair this is skewed by the very high rates of violence in the black community.
That’s not how statistics work.

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
Whaley also said Dayton police officers "neutralized" Betts in less than a minute.
We're very fortunate for that," he said. "We had officers in the immediate vicinity when this shooting began and were able to respond and put an end to it quickly."
That the shooter killed 9 and injured 26 in such a short space of time does indicate that even if many members of the public (or all of them) had been carrying a firearm at the time of the shooting they would not have been able to prevent the tragedy from occurring. We already knew that but the NRA and the President do need someone to remind them.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Can you imagine if everyone had guns and then the police come storming in with theirs? There’d be carnage.
And thoughts and prayers afterwards.

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
The gunman in the mass shooting in Dayton, Ohio, has been identified as Connor Betts, 24, according to local and federal law enforcement sources.

FBI and local law enforcement authorities have served a search warrant at the shooter’s family home in Bellbrook.
https://edition.cnn.com/us/live-news/ohio-shooting/index.html

Hope he wasn’t working with the Texas shooter i.e. both posting on 8chan.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Feck me.

--Dayton Police Deputy Chief Matt Carper confirmed that Connor Betts is the shooter and that his sister Megan Betts, 22, was one of those killed.

Speaking at a press conference, Carper identified the nine slain victims, who ranged in age from 22 to 57. He said all families have been notified.

Carper said all nine of the victims were found in the same location. --

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Feck me.

--Dayton Police Deputy Chief Matt Carper confirmed that Connor Betts is the shooter and that his sister Megan Betts, 22, was one of those killed.

Speaking at a press conference, Carper identified the nine slain victims, who ranged in age from 22 to 57. He said all families have been notified.

Carper said all nine of the victims were found in the same location. --
Jesus

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
You’ve got to feel for Connor Betts’s parents here too. They’ve lost their son who has shot and killed 9 people and injured 26 others and to add to that their daughter was one of the murder victims.
That would be a wild coincidence. Maybe his sister was the original target.

Nucks

RT History Department
That the shooter killed 9 and injured 26 in such a short space of time does indicate that even if many members of the public (or all of them) had been carrying a firearm at the time of the shooting they would not have been able to prevent the tragedy from occurring. We already knew that but the NRA and the President do need someone to remind them.
Apparently the cops responded within 1 minute of the first shots fired, and killed him almost immediately. Seems like a family thing, since it looks like he went there to kill his sister and anyone near her.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Yeah, reports are saying he killed his sister and her BF in their car.
Maybe he didn’t approve of her choice in men.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
On a whatsapp group I'm in the only american guy just wrote "it's very sad but unfortunately it's the price of freedom".

Nanook

That’s not how statistics work.
How do they work then?

7.5 males dying per 100,000 is a 1 in a 13,333 annual risk of being murdered. Over the course of a lifetime (76 years) that would 13,333 divided by 76 which is 1 in 175 chance wouldn’t it? If not what would it be?

The New York Times reported the risk of Americans being murdered was 1 in a 133 back in 1985
https://www.nytimes.com/1985/05/06/...f-being-murdered-are-1-in-133-study-says.html

But the murder rate was much higher back then.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Why are people going on about domes and walling the USA off :lol: it's not like they're coming here and committing shootings
Actually a lot of crimes in other Western hemisphere countries are committed with American weapons. A dome would be a good start in stemming the flow of such weaponry

nimic

something nice
Scout
Yeah, reports are saying he killed his sister and her BF in their car.
Maybe he didn’t approve of her choice in men.
It will turn out that he was active in incel communities online. And so there will have been two separate mass shootings driven by online radicalization. And still some people will claim it's just harmless memes.

Cloud7

I take your point but there has to be a desire for weaponry for there to be a flow
Yeah there’s a desire by criminals. Stemming said flow to the criminals would....you know..be a good thing.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
It will turn out that he was active in incel communities online.
I realise that I'll sound like a fascist control freak but...I'd gladly see all incel sites shut down. There's no excuse for such bloody disgusting misogyny.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Could be worse - could've meant Biden. :D