Short-term LB signing?

FromTheBench

What's the position regarding the morality of signing Alonso after the Greenwood saga?

lex talionis

What's the problem with relying on Dalot and Fernandes for the few "weeks" -- according to the club -- that Shaw will be out? Is Malacia out for the season?

Litch

I suspect its an opportunity to sign a player that can offer something more closer to what ETH wants than just about injuries. Think they would have done the same if it happened at RB.....

Adnan

Talent Spotter
22 year old with a year remaining on his contract if what I've just read is true.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Of the three potential loan signings mentioned, Cucurella > Reguilon > Alonso.

In Cucurella's case I just need to forget about one piss poor season and then he seems fine. In Alonso's case I'd have to forget about multiple piss poor seasons and him being a drink driving scumbag who killed someone. Reguilon is meh.

Howl

It just doesn't really make sense signing another left back. We have Shaw, Malacia, and Dalot who can play there. And that's without dipping into the U21's. Unless Malacia and Shaw are out for months it just seems a bit pointless to me. Even if Dalot is playing there and Wan Bissaka get's injured, it's not like we can't play Lindelof at right back either so depth really doesn't seem like an issue to me.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
What's the position regarding the morality of signing Alonso after the Greenwood saga?
no signing of killers or rapists, just players that have played under ten hag or in the dutch league.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Are there any left backs left for us to be linked with?

Tom Van Persie

No relation
It just doesn't really make sense signing another left back. We have Shaw, Malacia, and Dalot who can play there. And that's without dipping into the U21's. Unless Malacia and Shaw are out for months it just seems a bit pointless to me. Even if Dalot is playing there and Wan Bissaka get's injured, it's not like we can't play Lindelof at right back either so depth really doesn't seem like an issue to me.
Shaw could be out for 3 months and Malacia is far off a return. We would be leaving ourselves stupidly short at full back if we didn't sign one.

peridigm

We struggled in the first 3 matches with a seemingly fit starting 11. What could go wrong when we start playing multiple players in unnatural positions for multiple weeks? Getting natural cover is not the worst idea.

Devil You Know

Agree.

Assuming Maguire leaves, the long term squad would contain:

2 LBs (Shaw and Malacia)
2 RBs (AWB and Dalot)
2 right footed CBs (Varane and Lindelof)
1 left footed CB (Martinez)

For me, the correct move would be to buy a proper left footed CB to fill out the obvious hole squad. Then while the injury crisis at LB continues, Martinez could fill in at LB until Shaw/Malacia come back.

Given that Licha often moves up into midfield anyway, it's not like making him an inverted LB is all that different from what he's doing now.

I'd personally like to avoid another last minute panic loan that adds nothing to the team longer term (Sabitzer, Weghorst, Ighalo, Butland, Dubravka). It would be much better imo if we use this opportunity to strengthen the squad with someone who can be a presence for years to come.

Howl

You've just answered your own question.
Shaw could be out for 3 months and Malacia is far off a return. We would be leaving ourselves stupidly short at full back if we didn't sign one.
Is any of that actually confirmed?

We struggled in the first 3 matches with a seemingly fit starting 11. What could go wrong when we start playing multiple players in unnatural positions for multiple weeks? Getting natural cover is not the worst idea.
It's not that unnatural though is it. Dalot has played left back a ton in his career, and has always been adequate. Lindelof is also fine at right back. It all depends on how long Shaw and Malacia are out though.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
So many positions we need strengthening in and LB is the one with all the buzz. Terrible end to this window.

justsomebloke

I don't get it. Is being without Shaw for a few months so much of a crisis that it's our top priority, over a number of permanent needs? And what are we going to do with three left backs once he's back?

justsomebloke

Is any of that actually confirmed?

It's not that unnatural though is it. Dalot has played left back a ton in his career, and has always been adequate. Lindelof is also fine at right back. It all depends on how long Shaw and Malacia are out though.
I don't think Lindelof is fine on RB though.

CtrlAltDeLigt

ETH doesn’t feel Fernandez can cover LB for 3-4 months. Makes us weak as we would be 1 injury away from a shortage.

This season already has shown we’re gonna be seeing a lot of injuries so better safe than sorry later.

Feel we shouldn’t sign anyone on permanent, just a 1 season loan would work

dasty

I don't get it. Is being without Shaw for a few months so much of a crisis that it's our top priority, over a number of permanent needs? And what are we going to do with three left backs once he's back?
Shaw and Malacia. As of now we have 0 natural LBs in our first team squad.

Personally I would use Lisandro there, but that would also mean that we are 1 CB injury away from having Maguire back in the starting lineup, and knowing Varane that will be happening pretty soon. Or we can just blindly throw an academy kid in expecting him to play well for months and not get any injuries, because if the academy kid gets injured or struggles then we are looking at starting a second choice academy kid. Teams would target our LB and our academy kids would just have their confidence and career destroyed as Man Utd fans will then make tiktok compilations of their mistakes.

Same thing if you play Dalot there, one injury to either him or AWB, which is very likely as they will have to play all games without rest, and we are down to academy kids. Worst case scenario we will have academy kids playing both fullback positions.