Should Jose suffer the same fate....

Should Jose suffer the same fate if we fail to qualify for the CL ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
as the previous two if we fail to qualify for the champions league?

There is a possibility that we could finish 6th, which will be our worst season since Moyes.

Last edited:

Eddy_JukeZ

Have the others not been given longer than one season?
Moyes was gone right away as soon as it was mathematically impossible to qualify for CL.

Van Gaal qualified for the CL during his 1st season. Was let go the 2nd season after the FA Cup win(no CL qualification).

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Have the others not been given longer than one season?
Moyes was sacked as soon as it became mathematically impossible to get top 4.

VG got top 4 in the first season and was sacked after the second when we didn't make the top 4.

MuranoLover

I am not questioning myself on this topic as I am pretty sure we are winning the EL since we don't suffer any more injuries , please .

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
No chance they sack Mourinho this season.
That's another discussion. What I am more interested is the forum's view on whether we should or not.

Have we seen enough progress to justify giving him another season? Are there any signs of worry with his erratic behavior? Are there enough green shoots based on a solitary good performance against a big side? Is the style of play palatable for another season?

Last edited:

Bojan11

Why?

It's clear if these group of players can't work for a manager like Mourinho then it's unlikely they will be good enough for another manager. We need better quality in our squad. How many of our attackers would get in any of our rivals teams?

We haven't lost for six months in the league. We couldn't go 4 games without losing under the other two clowns.

Mourinho has made two mistakes. He trusted Rooney and Jones. If we had replaced both then maybe things would have been better.

rpg

I reckon we got good board that listen to fans.

R'hllor

Hell no. I just wish that he could change some of his ways a bit.

Kurosawa

Supports
Liverpool
I think it's quite clear at this point that issues at United lie beyond the manager and it would be a waste of an entire season to sack him imo, possibly even counter productive.

Mani

No,we can see signs of improvement under Jose.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
Moyes was sacked as soon as it became mathematically impossible to get top 4.

VG got top 4 in the first season and was sacked after the second when we didn't make the top 4.
Moyes was gone right away as soon as it was mathematically impossible to qualify for CL.

Van Gaal qualified for the CL during his 1st season. Was let go the 2nd season after the FA Cup win(no CL qualification).
Ok, I did not know this.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
I think it's quite clear at this point that issues at United lie beyond the manager and it would be a waste of an entire season to sack him imo, possibly even counter productive.
Possibly. I am not fully there with Jose yet as I was with Moyes and VG. For me, with both of them, it was clear pretty early on that it ain't going to work out (I wanted us to let go of VG even after he got us the top 4 in his first season). Our issues may be beyond the manager, but the task to solve those issues was beyond those two. I am on the borderline with Jose.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
He can't be blamed for this crap team.

Successful

Owes the Caf £25 (With interests)
LvG had bad luck with signings and José has been unlucky with injuries. Question should be who else is out there to take over?

I wouldn't sack José this season but if he fails next season to pick up from where LvG left us I will be very disappointed.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
He can't be blamed for this crap team.
At the beginning of the season you thought we'd struggle to make the top 4 or come close to drawing 10 of our 18 home games?

Just to make it clear, I wasn't one of those who thought that Jose will magically solve all our problems. I didn't think we'll challenge for title this season; and would only be good enough for a top 3 or 4 spot. However, I also never thought we'll find scoring goals such hard work or will spend nearly the entire season camped outside the top 4.

For whatever it's worth, I still think Jose will win us Europa. It's just a question I am asking. After all how many Rooney, Rashford or Spurs threads can you post on.

RooneyLegend

He should. If we finish outside the top 4 then the Europa league should be the only way to keep his job.

Womp

idiot
Think it's becoming more and more apparent that the quality in the side just isn't very good. We look absolutely clueless without Pogba and no-one in the squad could put the ball in the net if their life depended on it apart from Ibra. Only thing that's been consistent all season is our defence and that's because Jose could make a defence of stray puppies formidable, it's his forte.

We're in this position for numerous reasons, absolute shite luck and a lack of consistency from our board being the main ones. We have spent millions on players who aren't good enough. Fellaini, Depay, Morgan etc. aren't United players. Jose has made mistakes, his lack of rotation earlier on in the season could have played a part in these injuries, but I'm happy we've got a manager who isn't taking any competition lightly, we should try to win everything we are competing for. I don't know who to blame for the absolute woeful finishing all season long though. We have been pretty poor as of late, but that's due to fatigue and the fact that we literally have no players left, so I wouldn't lay that on his feet.

We have created chances for the most part this season, just haven't buried them which has been frustrating. A few more wins in those games we dominated and we'd be competing for the title, but this season just hasn't worked out how we planned. It's the first time I've ever seen a team lose two of their most important players to one of the worst injuries, in the same fecking game.

He will get another season or two and rightly so, after that, if no improvements are visible, then the club should make a decision. All in all, it just hasn't been our season, from the worst conversion rate in the league, despite being one of the best in terms of chances created, to major injuries, to players (assuming you believe Jose) not giving a feck or not possessing the right mentality etc. Lots the manager needs to sort out.

kps88

No. The signs of progress are obvious so it would be stupid not to let him build on it. Lets not forget he's won a cup and we're in the semi finals of another and he typically has stronger second seasons.

Kurosawa

Supports
Liverpool
Possibly. I am not fully there with Jose yet as I was with Moyes and VG. For me, with both of them, it was clear pretty early on that it ain't going to work out (I wanted us to let go of VG even after he got us the top 4 in his first season). Our issues may be beyond the manager, but the task to solve those issues was beyond those two. I am on the borderline with Jose.
The alternative is to believe that one of the best managers in the world. One of the most successful managers in the game, came to Manchester United to consistently finish 5th/6th.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
At the beginning of the season you thought we'd struggle to make the top 4 or come close to drawing 10 of our 18 home games?

Just to make it clear, I wasn't one of those who thought that Jose will magically solve all our problems. I didn't think we'll challenge for title this season; and would only be good enough for a top 3 or 4 spot. However, I also never thought we'll find scoring goals such hard work or will spend nearly the entire season camped outside the top 4.

For whatever it's worth, I still think Jose will win us Europa. It's just a question I am asking. After all how many Rooney, Rashford or Spurs threads can you post on.
I thought that we'll make it to 4th place. However I also thought that we will treat the Europa league in the same way we should be treating Jones and Shaw. That cup sucks the energy out of every team and we do lack quality strength in depth

dogwithabone

Laughable to suggest his position is under threat.

A handful of defeats all season after making lengthy progress on four fronts ? Are you serious !

We are dead on our feet right now but that's not Mourinho's fault, that's the consequence of a successful season and goes with the territory. We've got to be careful that we don't fall into the mindset of Arsenal and Liverpool whereby fourth represents a successful season and I like the fact that he has alluded to racking up trophies over fourth place.

It's how he works. He makes teams hard to beat first and foremost and then adds the glitter along the way. You can see a method in how he goes about it whereas it was just chaos and muddled under Moyes and especially LVG.

soapythecat

We can change manager every year, but until we get shot of Rooney, Fellaini, Young and Co, then we do not have a squad with enough quality to get back in the top 4. It's pointless gauging squad quality on money spent because we have over spent for years.
Our squad is full of really average players that would struggle mid table, yet these players are currently being relied upon to get us top 4. Not enough consistency in performances and a total lack of quality in front of goal.
We have been a steady cup team and are not far off top 4. Jose is very safe - many of the players are not.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
All things considered it would be a bit stupid to sack him. Unlike Moyes and LVG who were both incompetent with Jose there's a feeling that he'll eventually get it right. And while scoring goals has been a problem it's more been a case of poor finishing than not creating chances which is easier to fix.

But he should be told to cut out the bullshit. This public criticism needs to stop. It's pathetic.

RooneyLegend

His inability to get the best out of our players is what infuriates me the most. None of our players have played as well as they can this season. Our football has generally been disjointed and there's a heavy reliance on individuals to get it done. Without Ibra and Pogba this is a Van Gaal team with better defending. unfortunately that shouldn't be good enough for us.

ravi2

No, I expect us to have a very productive transfer window and we will challenge for the league title next year. Jose will get it right once we get rid of the majority of the deadwood i.e Jones , Rooney etc

TonyTheYank

Mou will not and should not be axed, even if we finish 6th and get eliminated from the Europa league.

The team was hanging on by a thread under SAF despite winning the league with an aging squad that needed reinforcements. He who shall not be named promptly cut that thread and was rightly let go before the end of his first season. LVG attempted to patch it up but the stitches were weak and he was rightly let go. Mourinho has us playing the our best football in 4+ seasons and with a little more luck and finishing we could be sitting comfortably in 3rd or better. Mourinho deserves the chance to continue to tailor this outfit into his kind of champions, unlike our previous two managers.

Sb_16

There is no denying he has underachieved. He is equally at blame, not just the players. However, the team has improved from last season, not to the standard but small improvement. He has built a strong defensive side to the team. Lets see what he does this summer to improve the attack.

If the past three seasons didn't happen then he should be fired. But sadly inspite of huge investment we are a EL team (atleast 4 English teams are better than us).

We need a rebuild and I'm sure even if he fails next season, he'll leave behind a strong team.

The United

The buck stops with the manager. We give everything and all the power to a manager. So you can't have it both ways.

But, saying all of it, he should have at least another season. No point sacking him after this season even if we don't get CL football.

And, I do think we will get in top 4 this season.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
I thought that we'll make it to 4th place. However I also thought that we will treat the Europa league in the same way we should be treating Jones and Shaw. That cup sucks the energy out of every team and we do lack quality strength in depth
Whose job was to manage the Europa games? Who played a full strength side when didn't need to in one of the Europa games.

Also, I don't buy this 'Europa drain on energy' excuse. We had 24 registered players plus Shaw, Rashford, Tofu and Tuanzebe. We had enough depth to take on each and every competition we took part in. The squad numbers and strength may be an excuse for the mid-table clubs that usually play in the competition, not us, the club with the highest salary bill.

How is Thursday-Sunday any different than Wednesday-Saturday? In fact, Europa should be easier to deal with because of the low quality of opposition that you face in the competition. Leaves more room to rotate the squad which you may not get the luxury of in the champions league.

el3mel

How many maanger will we have to sack before people realize the problem is bigger than the manager ?

If a new manager comes next season and challenge for top 4 again will we be willing to sack another 4th manager in 5 seasons and keep on sacking managers till we run out of them eventually ?

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
You have called for the resignation of Moyes (proven right), and Van Gaal (perhaps right) and Mourinho now. You have been one of the first to do so in all three cases. You are either a guy blessed with foresight or you have no patience. Good night.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
How many maanger will we have to sack before people realize the problem is bigger than the manager ?

If a new manager comes next season and challenge for top 4 again will we be willing to sack another 4th manager in 5 seasons and keep on sacking managers till we run out of them eventually ?
You can never run out of managers.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
There is no denying he has underachieved. He is equally at blame, not just the players. However, the team has improved from last season, not to the standard but small improvement. He has built a strong defensive side to the team. Lets see what he does this summer to improve the attack.

If the past three seasons didn't happen then he should be fired. But sadly inspite of huge investment we are a EL team (atleast 4 English teams are better than us).

We need a rebuild and I'm sure even if he fails next season, he'll leave behind a strong team.
I find this solid defense argument a bit scary. I remember arguing against the same under VG. Are we a solid defensive unit because of the sacrifices we make on attack or has Jose improved our defense? I can't come up with an answer.

I remember us being very defensive under VG (where possession was a form of defense) but things unraveled as soon as we went down a goal and had to attack. We looked clueless and inept. I find some of the same frustrations with this team too. A lot of these shots on goals and chances created shots paper over the fact that we don't have a very synchronous attacking system. We rely on individual brilliance more than intricate attacking plays. Our main attacking play still remain the out ball to Valencia and the subsequent cross in the box where 5 opposition players are waiting to nullify it.

Status
Not open for further replies.