Should Jose suffer the same fate....

Should Jose suffer the same fate if we fail to qualify for the CL ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
All these are considered chances yes. People talk about chances as if the players must be 1 vs 1 with the keeper every chance to be considered. Never mind we also missed these kind of sitters, too. Chance is any chance to get the ball in the net, whatever it's and all teams have been scoring from these.

Can you tell me how many goals top teams were scoring from shots outside the box or by individual skills from single players to open the game ? A lot and when it happens they are considered top quality players. No one say they scored individual goals because they don't have a style of play.

If our players are creative they should be scoring hard goals. If we were waiting for us to create 10 1vs1 chances each match we'll be disappointed. The "not crearing clear cut chances " term is misused heavily to justify us not scoring. If our players can't score unless they are 5 yards away from the goal then we are in serious troubles here.
There's no point in talking to people who think our chances created is somehow inflated by wild shots from 35 yards out.

I did some stat collecting when the Tottenham game was happening and found some interesting stuff.

We create the 3rd most chances in the penalty box and the 2nd most chances in the 6-yard area in the league. We have the worst conversion rate out of the top 6 for both shots in the penalty box and 6-yard area. Our conversion rate somehow gets worse as we move closer to the goal, especially relative to other teams. From the top 6 we have the joint highest proportion of shots in the penalty box that are also in the 6-yard area, so we aren't just taking speculative shots from the edge of the box we are creating many clear cut chances.

Chelsea are actually the worst out of the top 6 at creating chances in the penalty box and 6-yard area, but they have by far the best conversion rate. Tottenham are also quite bad at creating chances close to the goal but have the 2nd best conversion rate after Chelsea.

When you watch our team, and then watch Chelsea and Tottenham you see a clear difference in quality of attackers. When Costa or Kane have a half chance they test the keeper, meanwhile Rashford fluffs most of his 1-on-1s. Ibrahimovic is also partly to blame but he has saved so many of our games this season that he can be excused. Hazard dribbles past 2 defenders and slots it in the corner by himself, Martial dribbles past 1 defender and gets the ball caught under his feet and loses the ball. Lingard is Lingard.

Chelsea won the league because they have proven goal scorers in their team. Chelsea have played some proper shite this season, but Hazard and Costa have regularly created goals out of nothing to get them started and the other team to leave space for them to exploit.

GM K

Really? Looks quite the opposite to me, he's working hard at changing the whole attitude and culture of the club to fit his own view of the most effective way to play football. I've seen many fans buy into it already in games we haven't even tried to win but merely not lose.
Debatable.

We have played some really sexy football this season. If we had taken our chances, I am sure the conversation would be different.

The football has been pretty hard to watch lately, no doubt but we shouldn't deny we played pretty well for a long time.

Having said that, my point is that we have a very solid manager and even those who can't stand him acknowledge that much. I am betting he will deliver as long as we maintain our culture of giving a manger time. Watch him buy this summer and ship some players out. United will become a different animal soon.

GM K

I dont see many at all calling for his head. I do see a lot rightly criticising him for this season. You have to assume he will improve next season. But no one will be eating their words
Many will my friend.

I have read many shocking posts here.

Constructive criticism is always a useful thing and Jose deserves some this season. He has made mistakes but overall, considering the circumstances, I score him well for this season. If he wins the EL, then I'll score him really high.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Many will my friend.

I have read many shocking posts here.

Constructive criticism is always a useful thing and Jose deserves some this season. He has made mistakes but overall, considering the circumstances, I score him well for this season. If he wins the EL, then I'll score him really high.
I would give him a very generous 6/10 if he wins the Europa. If not I would score him below both of lvg's seasons.

el3mel

There's no point in talking to people who think our chances created is somehow inflated by wild shots from 35 yards out.

I did some stat collecting when the Tottenham game was happening and found some interesting stuff.

We create the 3rd most chances in the penalty box and the 2nd most chances in the 6-yard area in the league. We have the worst conversion rate out of the top 6 for both shots in the penalty box and 6-yard area. Our conversion rate somehow gets worse as we move closer to the goal, especially relative to other teams. From the top 6 we have the joint highest proportion of shots in the penalty box that are also in the 6-yard area, so we aren't just taking speculative shots from the edge of the box we are creating many clear cut chances.

Chelsea are actually the worst out of the top 6 at creating chances in the penalty box and 6-yard area, but they have by far the best conversion rate. Tottenham are also quite bad at creating chances close to the goal but have the 2nd best conversion rate after Chelsea.

When you watch our team, and then watch Chelsea and Tottenham you see a clear difference in quality of attackers. When Costa or Kane have a half chance they test the keeper, meanwhile Rashford fluffs most of his 1-on-1s. Ibrahimovic is also partly to blame but he has saved so many of our games this season that he can be excused. Hazard dribbles past 2 defenders and slots it in the corner by himself, Martial dribbles past 1 defender and gets the ball caught under his feet and loses the ball. Lingard is Lingard.

Chelsea won the league because they have proven goal scorers in their team. Chelsea have played some proper shite this season, but Hazard and Costa have regularly created goals out of nothing to get them started and the other team to leave space for them to exploit.
Great post as usual from you.

antoine_d_griezmann

Supports
Atlético Madrid, Dortmond
:lol: :lol:

You are obviously upset and it's understandable. But calm down. This is Jose Mourinho we are talking about here. My bet is on United winning the EL and fighting seriously for the title next season. It's simply about improving on those draws. Turn a few into wins and we won't be having this conversation. Pretty sure he'll set up the team to win more next season.
Well it doesn't really matters me if its ... jose morinho or anyone else as long as i see the manager trying to win games. And not being a pu**y

antoine_d_griezmann

Supports
And if we were getting those 1-0 wins there would be far less complaining. But we're not and the style of football is a big reason for that so obviously people will complain about it.
My friend its not just about the result and style. Its also about the intent . Do you really belive the games utd played against specially the top 6 teams ..mourinho went in to win?

antoine_d_griezmann

Supports
I don't know why you and some act as if tracking back is a crime and something only jose adopts. Have you seen us play under sir alex, our wingers used to help fullbacks. Do you understand football is a team game. You sound like pep and klopp, ohh let us just attack like fools.you know what is the biggest criticisms of sterling and sane, they don't track back. Have you seen ronaldo, even he tracks back helps defensively, have you seen messi, even he from time time tracks back. Top players do track back, you can't just stand and wait for the ball to come.
Mate your simply miss reading my comment here, i said yes the sigings have came good only if he really uses them properly , tries to use their creativity.

About tracking back never said its a bad thing even messi or ronaldo do that , its just that when you can see your bigggest problem is scoring goals and not defense , you probably have best GK in europe garding your goal still your asking your players to be ultra defensive thats where it goes wrong .

To summarize it , my whole point is mourinho is simply too much defensive, he prefers not to loose first and i dont think its gonna change whatever sigings he makes .

shield

We desperately need about 5 to 6 players if we want to avoid a season like the current one. We actually need that many, because the back ups are not good enough as we have seen this season. However, it is not possible to buy that many good players in one season, so, to get us playing well, Mourinho will either have to rethink his excessively defensive strategy, or get used to underperforming for one more season. The former looks unlikely and he has never gone more than 2 seasons at a club without winning a major trophy (not the mickey mouse ones), so I don't know how he will react.

I have this fear that we will start falling out with the players midway through next season, and we may see more crazy antics from him if things don't go his way.

Womp

idiot
Conte did with a team Jose had running at relegation spot when he got fired.
The same team who walked the league the season before? In comparison to a United squad who's best finish of the past 4 seasons was top 4?

Ciedre

Supports
Liverpool
The same team who walked the league the season before? In comparison to a United squad who's best finish of the past 4 seasons was top 4?
Well ive said the entire time that Jose wasnt the manager for you guys. Yes, he gets trophys, and I actually expected him to have done better this season. But he tends to turn good teams into crap by season 3.
I've claimed you guys should have from the start gone for a manager that can build a team, admit it will take a couple of years and let the manager do his part. But United has done the oposit. U have hired 3 defense orientated managers in a row, and when they have failed, thrown them out (well two of them. The third costs so much that it will probably take a lot to sack him as well).

Most teams should look to spurs to see how they have been building up over time, because that to me is the United way. Not this boring football and then kicking managers left and right.

Ps: yes im a LFC fan, but that doesnt mean im such a dipshit that i feel u guys should go through the same shit we have the last 25ish years.

el3mel

You know I'm starting to get really sick of using Conte's success to slaughter Jose. Became a really boring claim and we replied on it thousands of times. Complete different conditions between Chelsea and United.

Vida5Nick

NFP
Any arguments can turned to suit one's opinion, it can be said that a transition wasn't that needed as most Chelsea players knew each other very well and fatigue was minimal thanks to no european competition. Conte did a great job and Mourinho could have and should have done much better at the end of the day, it is as simple as that.
Most of our team were not new in that regard. And if fatigue is an issue, we might as well drop out of european competitions because we'll lose out on the PL because of fatigue. Face it. Top teams and managers manage fatigue even while managing on multiple fronts. Look at Real this season, Barca treble before that. Inter in 2010. No,fatigue is not an issue at all. The issue is that he massively underestimated the squad, didn't trust his team enough to rotate and failed to prepare for injuries in the most physical league in the world as two managers before him did. Anyone could see that the squad was on its last legs and needed clearing out. But what Moyes and LVG and Mou did was just paper over the cracks with individual brilliance(RVP, Falcao,Pogba)

Bizarre considering he is no stranger as a experienced PL manager and one who has amassed a treble before.

SachinJ22

Poster of Nonsense
I hate this sort of thing.

I don't give a shit about luck in front of the goal as far as i am concerned with converting x chances about the number of missed chances we have this season. You make your own luck on the pitch and can make more/finish if you're capable enough. As it stands, we're not capable of making more chances or finishing more. There is no such thing as luck, just capability on the pitch.

Bold 2: It will, if you choose the correct manager. Conte had a squad that was 16th the previous season, the one that got Mou the sack. So how is it that he could manage to get that to first without any excuses like transition or fatigue? No because he doesn't give a shit about that and gets down to business.
I wasn't talking about luck. Hiring a new manager worked for Chelsea but we don't know if the same thing will work for us, what if the new manager takes time to make the team plays like he wants to? What if the new managers doesn't like the players which Jose signed, again that manager has to spend more on the type of players which he prefers. What I am saying is that we don't know if the new manager can bring instant success and might need time. We have played more matches than Chelsea this season. We have already fired 2 managers.

Conte doesn't give a shit about transition because he doesn't have many average players in his team. Chelsea already had good attackers, 2 good midfielders i.e. Matic and Fabregas. While we have had only one good midfielder i.e. Herrera, Carrick is old and can't play every game. We have 2 young attackers Martial and Rashford, who are not consistent enough. The only consistent players in our team are Pogba, Herrera, and De Gea. I know Zlatan has scored many goals for us but even he has been a bit consistent for a player of his calibre.

Cantona_Forever

lol, he has completely given up on the PL after the Chelsea game. Can't believe a United manager lacking ambition and motivation.
It's not about ambition. it's a strategy. It's just another way to get to the same destination.
SAF also gave up on PL when we first went to CWC final. That's only Cup, this is Cup and CL place.

Last edited:

Vida5Nick

NFP
I wasn't talking about luck. Hiring a new manager worked for Chelsea but we don't know if the same thing will work for us, what if the new manager takes time to make the team plays like he wants to? What if the new managers doesn't like the players which Jose signed, again that manager has to spend more on the type of players which he prefers. What I am saying is that we don't know if the new manager can bring instant success and might need time. We have played more matches than Chelsea this season. We have already fired 2 managers.

Conte doesn't give a shit about transition because he doesn't have many average players in his team. Chelsea already had good attackers, 2 good midfielders i.e. Matic and Fabregas. While we have had only one good midfielder i.e. Herrera, Carrick is old and can't play every game. We have 2 young attackers Martial and Rashford, who are not consistent enough. The only consistent players in our team are Pogba, Herrera, and De Gea. I know Zlatan has scored many goals for us but even he has been a bit consistent for a player of his calibre.
I don't see Conte taking as much time to instill his method of playing, which is rather different from Jose. It's down to management style and hiring the correct one that prepares meticulously for the type of players and the system. Again, the number of matches/fatigue should be irrelevant. We are a big club and should be competing on all fronts and the manager should account for it in our squad quality and depth and the system we are going to play. SAF did it, Mou himself did it when they both won the treble.

Again, this is the crux of the problem right here. Jose massively underestimated our squad and bought individuals who he thought could paper over cracks just like his predecessor who relied on Falcao and Di Maria. This is on him. Whether it is because he has an idea of a clearout, to bring in his team or to bring in more individuals without solving the root of the problem, we will know next season.But as it stands currently, it has massively backfired.Another season of mediocrity and he should walk imo, just like LVG.
We cannot afford to keep languishing without any more top 4(CL) places. We've already had our sponsership money cut in half because we didn't qualify for the CL.(i know that depends on the EL final but i'm talking worst case scenario)

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Most of our team were not new in that regard. And if fatigue is an issue, we might as well drop out of european competitions because we'll lose out on the PL because of fatigue. Face it. Top teams and managers manage fatigue even while managing on multiple fronts. Look at Real this season, Barca treble before that. Inter in 2010. No,fatigue is not an issue at all. The issue is that he massively underestimated the squad, didn't trust his team enough to rotate and failed to prepare for injuries in the most physical league in the world as two managers before him did. Anyone could see that the squad was on its last legs and needed clearing out. But what Moyes and LVG and Mou did was just paper over the cracks with individual brilliance(RVP, Falcao,Pogba)

Bizarre considering he is no stranger as a experienced PL manager and one who has amassed a treble before.
Fatigue is a factor but never an excuse for me otherwise what's the point of competing and aspiring to win things ? My main gripe with him is how thin he's made our squad.

SachinJ22

Poster of Nonsense
Fatigue is a factor but never an excuse for me otherwise what's the point of competing and aspiring to win things ? My main gripe with him is how thin he's made our squad.
It isn't Mourinho's fault entirely. 2 previous managers have signed average players and got rid of good players (or good backup options) like Chicharito, Nani, Rafael and many others. You can't bring in 10 quality players in one transfer window. You also can't expect Jose to know which players are good enough or not good enough even before he has seen all of them play. Only 3 players have constantly played for us without being rotated, those are Pogba, Herrera and Ibra. The rest of the squad has been rotated. Jose can't do anything if his defenders are injury prone. Has Mourinho said this season that because of fatigue he couldn't get into top 4? Has he specifically said that? Stop blaming him for mistakes made by the 2 previous managers and the people running our club. Some of the fans say that he has to get rid of the average players and then these same fans ask why he has made the squad thin.

kouroux

It isn't Mourinho's fault entirely. 2 previous managers have signed average players and got rid of good players (or good backup options) like Chicharito, Nani, Rafael and many others. You can't bring in 10 quality players in one transfer window. You also can't expect Jose to know which players are good enough or not good enough even before he has seen all of them play. Only 3 players have constantly played for us without being rotated, those are Pogba, Herrera and Ibra. The rest of the squad has been rotated. Jose can't do anything if his defenders are injury prone. Has Mourinho said this season that because of fatigue he couldn't get into top 4? Has he specifically said that? Stop blaming him for mistakes made by the 2 previous managers and the people running our club. Some of the fans say that he has to get rid of the average players and then these same fans ask why he has made the squad thin.
Of course he can, he could plan, Jones and Smalling being out for long periods of time each season isn't a surprise, it should have been expected and had its contigency plan.
Rojo suffering that horrible injury wasn't completely unexpected.

SachinJ22

Poster of Nonsense
Of course he can, he could plan, Jones and Smalling being out for long periods of time each season isn't a surprise, it should have been expected and had its contigency plan.
Rojo suffering that horrible injury wasn't completely unexpected.
Jose got rid of only one CB and brought in Bailly. My point is we can't sign 10 good players in one transfer window. We had 4 senior CBs and Bailly who has done well. We don't know what goes on behind the scenes, maybe Jose wanted another CB and he wasn't given enough money to spend on another CB. Rojo getting a serious injury and being out for months wasn't expected. You forgot that LVG was the one who got rid of many good players and back-up options not Mourinho. I'm not a Mourinho fan boy but stop blaming him for mistakes made by previous managers and the board.

BebétheBest

We create the 3rd most chances in the penalty box and the 2nd most chances in the 6-yard area in the league. We have the worst conversion rate out of the top 6 for both shots in the penalty box and 6-yard area. Our conversion rate somehow gets worse as we move closer to the goal, especially relative to other teams. We have the joint highest proportion of shots in the penalty box that are also in the 6-yard area, so we aren't just taking speculative shots from the edge of the box we are creating many clear cut chances.

How would you know? Did you create these stats or what gives you such insight into what constitutes a chance be it a shot from inside or outside the box?

Can you show us your source for these stats you're referencing? It seems you're taking a very simplistic and red tinted view on the stats you're talking about too. You say we are top 3 for chances inside the 6 yard box, therefore that is proof that we are "creating many clear cut chances" but it's not a clear cut chance if they have 11 men between the ball and their goal. Statistically is it going down as a chance if Ibra or Fellaini gets a touch with their head on a long ball into the 6 yard box while jumping with 3 defenders?

If that's the case then we look great in the stats leaderboards after a couple of home games when teams defend the box and invite us to play direct long balls and ambitious crosses right into the packed box.

I had a look on whoscored there and as I suspected 42% of our shots are from outside the box, which is the highest of the top 6.

kouroux

Jose got rid of only one CB and brought in Bailly. My point is we can't sign 10 good players in one transfer window. We had 4 senior CBs and Bailly who has done well. We don't know what goes on behind the scenes, maybe Jose wanted another CB and he wasn't given enough money to spend on another CB. Rojo getting a serious injury and being out for months wasn't expected. You forgot that LVG was the one who got rid of many good players and back-up options not Mourinho. I'm not a Mourinho fan boy but stop blaming him for mistakes made by previous managers and the board.
They are all at fault.
You don't know what went on behind the scenes with LVG so either use that argument for all of them or none of them.

Witchking

His United story is playing out just like his Chelsea one. He now has gone against the press and pundits, complained about the fixture list, next season he might not get all the players he wants, so will start complaining in the press about how he needs players with more toughness etc etc and then at the start of the 3rd season, he will quit and then say he was not given a free hand.

It simply is his fault if the players are too tired. No question. He wanted a small squad. He said that at the beginning. Now the players are too tired. He has a readymade excuse if United lose the final. He has already thrown away the league hoping we win the final. Not good management. I hope i am wrong in my thinking of how he is handling United's affairs but he comes across as a petty guy when things do not go his way. Just hope we win the final. So that he has a better chance of getting the players he wants and gives a title challenge.

Witchking

It's not about ambition. it's a strategy. It's just another way to get to the same destination.
SAF also gave up on PL when we first went to CWC final. That's only Cup, this is Cup and CL place.
If we lose the final? What happens then? His strategy is bad, he is taking a big risk. It's all or nothing. If we lose, this season will be remembered as a very bad season with the Carling cup being just the one high. Plus it's not like United have played very well in the Europa league. We have just about scrapped by in one of the easiest run ins to the final.

Cantona_Forever

If we lose the final? What happens then? His strategy is bad, he is taking a big risk. It's all or nothing. If we lose, this season will be remembered as a very bad season with the Carling cup being just the one high. Plus it's not like United have played very well in the Europa league. We have just about scrapped by in one of the easiest run ins to the final.
If we lose, we lose. We have no divine right to win match only because we want.
I don't understand this "taking a big risk" thinking. Surely taking a big risk is you try to compete in 2 competitions while your players dropping like flies when one competition (and only 2 matches) will do and you can rest players and work with them tactically without having to focus on something else? I say he has made a calculated risk but taking a big risk is doing the opposite of what he's doing IMO.

Witchking

The excuse given for Conte's success is that he had a great team who refused to play for Jose but turned up for Conte, but easily let go of the fact that LvG's team came in 4th and 5th and all said that we need a better manager with this group of players. SOme even said that we should have got Jose in Dec 2015 so that we could make it to the Chamions League :lol: We spent 150 million and were not even in the title challenge till december.

Jose screwed up in the league. It was his decisions and not anyone else' which have caused United's problems. Not Moyes, not LvG. Jose decided to sell Morgan, Jose decided to sell Bastian, Jose decided to loan Depay. He trimmed the squad knowing well that Smalling and Jones have been injury cases well before he came at United. He cannot now come back and crib about fatigue. He gave up on the league which is shameful. Please now go and win the damn Europa so that we can consider this season a success with 52 goals.

SachinJ22

Poster of Nonsense
They are all at fault.
You don't know what went on behind the scenes with LVG so either use that argument for all of them or none of them.
You could have blamed Jose if he was hired after SAF left. You said this :

My main gripe with him is how thin he's made our squad
So you are blaming only Jose for thinning the squad not the other managers or the people who run the club like a business. People want Jose to get rid of the average players and then say that he should be blamed for thinning the squad.

kouroux

You could have blamed Jose if he was hired after SAF left. You said this :

So you are blaming only Jose for thinning the squad not the other managers or the people who run the club like a business. People want Jose to get rid of the average players and then say that he should be blamed for thinning the squad.
Are you dumb or what ? This is a Mourinho thread no ? Why would I talk about other managers then ? Just because I don't mention LVG doesn't mean I think he is blameless...

SachinJ22

Poster of Nonsense
Are you dumb or what ? This is a Mourinho thread no ? Why would I talk about other managers then ? Just because I don't mention LVG doesn't mean I think he is blameless...
Lol I'm not dumb. You are the one who is blaming someone for someone else's mistakes not me. You expect Jose to sign 10 good players without knowing his players in one transfer season and calling me dumb. People like you just want to find lame reasons to bash Jose as if you could have done better than him. Maybe you should read the rules before posting shit, this is what the rules of these forum are "criticise the post not the poster; remain respectful to other posters".

kouroux

Lol I'm not dumb. You are the one who is blaming someone for someone else's mistakes not me. You expect Jose to sign 10 good players without knowing his players in one transfer season and calling me dumb. People like you just want to find lame reasons to bash Jose as if you could have done better than him. Maybe you should read the rules before posting shit, this is what the rules of these forum are "criticise the post not the poster; remain respectful to other posters".

Like I said they're all at fault. Why don't you just resort to what is actually posted and not stupidly interpret what I posted (for instance, never said anything about signing a certain number of players), I've been on this site for a decade, I know the rules just fine. Hard to seperate posts from posters and a big pet hate of mine is people extrapolating on simple things said.

SachinJ22

Poster of Nonsense
Like I said they're all at fault. Why don't you just resort to what is actually posted and not stupidly interpret what I posted (for instance, never said anything about signing a certain number of players), I've been on this site for a decade, I know the rules just fine. Hard to seperate posts from posters and a big pet hate of mine is people extrapolating on simple things said.
You said you had a gripe with Jose for thinning the squad and that Jose is using the fatigue factor as an excuse. So, how am I extrapolating? There is a difference between complaining about the schedule and using fatigue as an excuse. Right now we have most of the injuries in the defense, Jose got rid of only the players who weren't good enough to play in the defense. Many managers use fatigue as an excuse, even Kloop whose team has played less matches than us has complained about the schedule and fatigue. Jose hasn't specifically said that fatigue was the reason for not achieving some things this season like top 4. You are the one extrapolating on what Jose said. You are bashing Jose with a lame reason because you didn't want MU to hire him in the first place? Do you also feel that Jose should be fired this season?

kouroux

You said you had a gripe with Jose for thinning the squad and that Jose is using the fatigue factor as an excuse. So, how am I extrapolating? There is a difference between complaining about the schedule and using fatigue as an excuse. Right now we have most of the injuries in the defense, Jose got rid of only the players who weren't good enough to play in the defense. Many managers use fatigue as an excuse, even Kloop whose team has played less matches than us has complained about the schedule and fatigue. Jose hasn't specifically said that fatigue was the reason for not achieving some things this season like top 4. You are the one extrapolating on what Jose said. You are bashing Jose with a lame reason because you didn't want MU to hire him in the first place? Do you also feel that Jose should be fired this season?
You did though, like you said my gripe was with thinning the squad but never mentioned he needed to sign many more players.
I did want him to be signed by Utd because no one else of that level was available. No I don't feel he should be fired and that is even if we lose the EL final. He deserves at the very least a second season. Having said all of that, there are some things he could have done better.

Fully Fledged

Lowest number of league wins in the Premier League era. That says everything for me.

Finished lower in the league than LVG in his
Worst season.

Blaming the squad when he has done worse on league wins and league position than the man he replaced even though he had an extra £200m to spend makes no sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.