Should Rooney retire from England?

Should Rooney retire from international football?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
He has retired after a long international career though. He's the same as someone like Shearer and Scholes. It's understandable when you are close to 30 or just passed 30 like they were, especially if you have amassed plenty of caps.

Someone turning their back on international football in their mid 20's with a good decade or so left of their club career who is not doing it to extend that is almost unheard of, bar the likes of Ferguson and Ireland, who have had spats with managers and FA's over internationals.
Berbatov was still in his prime, was team captain, and had at least another WCQ run in him, perhaps two. Especially considering Bulgaria isn't exactly a haven for emerging top class players. And at least part of his reason was from the media criticism.

Rooney has had a lengthy career as well, having broken through at such a young age. I understand your point but Berbatov did leave with many years still ahead. And he did it out of spite for the most part.

Ole'sbodyguard

Berbatov was still in his prime, was team captain, and had at least another WCQ run in him, perhaps two. Especially considering Bulgaria isn't exactly a haven for emerging top class players. And at least part of his reason was from the media criticism.

Rooney has had a lengthy career as well, having broken through at such a young age. I understand your point but Berbatov did leave with many years still ahead. And he did it out of spite for the most part.
I'd agree Berba was still in his prime but then I think Shearer and Scholes were still in their prime as well to a certain extent. Not really sure of the underlying reasons behind his decision to finally retire, if he's received long standing criticism then that's bound to contribute, but as Bulgaria are also a nation who see qualifying for a major tournament as a success, I can also see why he would want to finish and look to prolong his club career. It's understandable after playing international football for a decade and not similar to someone like Rooney who I can't find a precedent for at all.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
He played for France 45 times and scored 20 goals and would have gladly had more caps post 95 if given the chance. He would have gladly played at Euro 96 when he was a popular choice back home to get into the squad following his last great season for United.

Eric criticises France as a nation regularly but he would have represented them throughout the majority of his career as a footballer if given the call so it's hard to say he did not need them. If he did not need them he would have retired on principle, like he eventually did with United.
Doenst matter again. He is a huge legend with us even without being selected for France. In fact, he is a bigger legend with us without the call.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
As for Cantona, I've no doubt he'd have returned to the French team had he been asked. It's still sad that he wasn't a part of that 98 side when the likes of Dugarry and Chapuisat were.

Don't Kill Bill

This idea doesn't really make much sense.

Get a decision that goes against you = withdraw from international football.

To what end?

To show just how petulant you are and embarrass yourself?

To force governing bodies to go light on their players, really we want to do that do we?

It does smack of dual standards when we reinstate John "knobber" Terry so he can once again prove he has no morals (it will happen at some point) and then talk about setting an example but let’s not get things out of perspective.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
This idea doesn't really make much sense.

Get a decision that goes against you = withdraw from international football.

To what end?

To show just how petulant you are and embarrass yourself?

To force governing bodies to go light on their players, really we want to do that do we?

It does smack of dual standards when we reinstate John "knobber" Terry so he can once again prove he has no morals (it will happen at some point) and then talk about setting an example but let’s not get things out of perspective.
It's a poll to gauge what the wider opinion is after a few posters mentioned they'd like to see him feck off England.

I don't think Rooney's going to come to the caf looking for career advice. Lighten up.

CR#7

Yes feck off FA and everything you stand for abunch of half witted cnuts

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
I am patriotic and very much a fan of the national team, but i voted yes. Time players/managers started standing up to the FA for the amount of bullshit they peddle - if that means their star player withdrawing from the team until there has been some serious change, then so be it.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I'd consider him a choker if he withdrew, regardless of the spastic behavior from the FA

It's not like he's being played in an incorrect position in the team ala Scholes, he's the focal point of the England team. To withdraw because he got banned for 2 games would be childish

Jaapster

Didnt shearer nearly retire after the FA charged him with allowing neil lennon to headbutt his foot, then it was dropped?

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
I hope he does, by saying a big feck YOU right into the camera the next time he walks out for England.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Why would he retire from England because of this? I doubt he gives two fecks about the FA but he's clearly a very motivated individual who loves playing football and he's spoken before of his desire to win a World Cup.

No he shouldn't retire from England.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Why would he retire from England because of this? I doubt he gives two fecks about the FA but he's clearly a very motivated individual who loves playing football and he's spoken before of his desire to win a World Cup.

No he shouldn't retire from England.
Well, he could retire because England is a bunch of losers who'll never win anything, but this is a better excuse. :wenger:

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
With him quitting the FA will lose millions in sponsorship money, saves them right!!

Don't Kill Bill

It's a poll to gauge what the wider opinion is after a few posters mentioned they'd like to see him feck off England.

I don't think Rooney's going to come to the caf looking for career advice. Lighten up.
That’s racist.:)

I voted in the poll I also pass comment on the comments, which for the reasons stated, I don't think make any sense at all.

BaldwinLegend

Why is Valencia never called on constantly on here to 'feck Ecuador off'? Or Nani to quit playing for Portugal?

Anyone want Anderson, Rafael and Fabio to retire from duty for Brazil?

Why would anyone want one of the best players in the world to retire from international football at the age of 25?

With respect, this is a daft poll which is just going to give the usual lot another chance to bang on about United>England - as if they've not had enough chances to do that in recent weeks...

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
No I don't think he should retire from playing for England.

Now if there was a poll on whether we think the FA should undergo a complete overhaul, including having disciplinary matters taken away from them and given to a fairer, more independent body (as suggested by Gill)....:smirk:

Ole'sbodyguard

Doenst matter again. He is a huge legend with us even without being selected for France. In fact, he is a bigger legend with us without the call.
Of course Eric is a huge legend to United. That's a self evident fact but one completely irrelevant to the original point you made.

However, your original point was that he did not need France when he clearly made himself available for them his whole career and would have liked to have been a part in more international tournaments for them, the same way as 95% of professional footballers want to be involved in such events. Eric wanted and needed international football as much as most players do.

Anyone who thinks club footballers don't want or need international football are deluding themselves. A certain section of footballers retire from international football to extend their club careers when they feel they have done as much as they can, but even these are in a minority and most of these have had long and distnguished international careers when they make that decision.

I have a certain indifference to international football nowadays, friendlies are boring and pedestrian games and the qualification for big tournaments are fairly routine and don't raise much excitement. However, the World Cups, European championships and Copa Americas are big tournaments and most international footballers want to play a part in them, including some of the best who have played for United.

I also have always been United greater than England but mainly because alot of England's match-going support have brought United into England matters since the 90's and as a red, I always going to defend United against anything else. It's died down a fair bit since the 90's peak mind you and Ronaldo in 06 was the last incident which was in that vein and for me that was nothing like what Becks got or as bad as having United players booed playing for their country such as happened at Elland road. I still want England to win games but it's not the same or as important as United for me and the emotions are nowhere near as high or as deeply routed or invested. Not even close.

However, the players do not have the same attitude at all and the likes of Robbo, Charlton, Law and Becks would see playing for their country as big as playing for their club. The likes of Giggs and Best have seen not playing at a major international event as the one unfulfilled part of their careers. It's a big part of a professional footballer's career and they all want and need it to a certain extent.

I'm always right

Why is Valencia never called on constantly on here to 'feck Ecuador off'? Or Nani to quit playing for Portugal?

Why would anyone want one of the best players in the world to retire from international football at the age of 25?

With respect, this is a daft poll which is just going to give the usual lot another chance to bang on about United>England - as if they've not had enough chances to do that in recent weeks...
It probably has something to do with their respective FA's not fecking them over, if they did you can bet your ass there would be calling for them to quit.

misterredmist

Unless he wants to, no he should'nt - I am sure he and Stretford will
have something up their sleeve for the next England product launch
though...................

although , I would not be sorry at all if he wanted to sack "Team England"

misterredmist

Because those Nations seem to go about their business in a quiet, respectable manner, play decent football and do not get above their
station like England.

The England football set-up is a regular embarassment to itself, the Nation and is a complete laughing stock around the World. In a major tournament, we are the team all the REAL National teams want to play as they know that England are a circus act and a piece of p*ss to beat.

Do those nations above attempt to draw votes for tournaments by sucking up to c*cks like Jack Warner playing no-mark friendlies in Trinidad and then having the p*ss ripped out of them by not even commanding his vote?

The FA probably have an annual income greater than some WC Nations actual GDP and manage to provide a team that plays some of the most sterile football in Europe

I hope that answers the question................

Dave89

First time in ages i didn't vote eboue. He should tell them to feck off. Preferably screaming it in their face

Scoreboard Red

I'm not an English fan but Rooney clearly wants to play for England and Fergie would be well aware of that, plus it's the official body who has done this, not the team and not the English fans so to deny them of his presence is a shame although one that irritates me at the same time; West Ham fans and every other English supporting fan abuses him, but every second summer at the Euros or World Cup they absolutely bum him.
For me, I can't seriously sit there going 'oh go on Stevie' to Gerrard all excited after professing my hatred for him, it's sheer hypocrisy.
The last decent English team at least had Lineker and Gascoigne and others such as Shilton, Walker, Parker and Waddle who were extremely likeable and by chance didn't belong to the likes of Liverpool, Arsenal or United meaning they had the full support of English supporting rival club fans....

Ole'sbodyguard

I'm not an English fan but Rooney clearly wants to play for England and Fergie would be well aware of that, plus it's the official body who has done this, not the team and not the English fans so to deny them of his presence is a shame although one that irritates me at the same time; West Ham fans and every other English supporting fan abuses him, but every second summer at the Euros or World Cup they absolutely bum him.
For me, I can't seriously sit there going 'oh go on Stevie' to Gerrard all excited after professing my hatred for him, it's sheer hypocrisy.
The last decent English team at least had Lineker and Gascoigne and others such as Shilton, Walker, Parker and Waddle who were extremely likeable and by chance didn't belong to the likes of Liverpool, Arsenal or United meaning they had the full support of English supporting rival club fans....
Beardsley and Barnes regularly played in that England side as well and they were Liverpool's two best creative players. Levelled up abit by the fact that Robbo was captain and he was god but there's nearly always been a big rivals player in the England first eleven.

Scoreboard Red

Beardsley and Barnes regularly played in that England side as well and they were Liverpool's two best creative players. Levelled up abit by the fact that Robbo was captain and he was god but there's nearly always been a big rivals player in the England first eleven.
If you watched the 1990 World Cup, you'll remember Barnes was a sub who got on once or twice (Waddle was preferred to him and rightly so) and Beardsley was the only player from Liverpool, United or Arsenal who featured regularly as Robson was injured early in the second game v the Dutch and was sent home for Platt of Villa to replace him.

The usual line-up was;

Shilton - Derby
Parker - QPR
Butcher - Rangers
Walker - Forest
Pearce - Forest
Wright - Derby
Gascoigne - Spurs
Platt - Villa
Waddle - Marseilles
Beardsley - Liverpool
Lineker - Spurs

Name Changed

weso26
He should take a stand against the FA. Ferguson backed down a couple of weeks ago, but Rooney should stand up for himself, or realistically his ad visors should tell him to stand up for himself. If threatening to pull the plug on his England career is what it takes, then he should do it. The media witch hunt has been nothing sort of disgraceful.

England needs Rooney more than Rooney needs England.

Ole'sbodyguard

If you watched the 1990 World Cup, you'll remember Barnes was a sub who got on once or twice (Waddle was preferred to him and rightly so) and Beardsley was the only player from Liverpool, United or Arsenal who featured regularly as Robson was injured early in the second game v the Dutch and was sent home for Platt of Villa to replace him.

The usual line-up was;

Shilton
Parker
Butcher
Walker
Pearce
Wright
Gascoigne
Platt
Waddle
Beardsley
Lineker
Yeah Barnes did not feature loads in the World Cup because Robson changed his formation half way through and had to lose a winger playing 5-3-2 and Robbo did get an injury against the Dutch. Was a regular in the qualifiers though when England played 4-4-2 and for most of Robson's time as manager, so he was in more often that he was out.