Should Rooney retire from England?

Should Rooney retire from international football?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Scoreboard Red

Yeah Barnes did not feature loads in the World Cup because Robson changed his formation half way through and had to lose a winger playing 5-3-2 and Robbo did get an injury against the Dutch. Was a regular in the qualifiers though when England played 4-4-2 and for most of Robson's time as manager, so he was in more often that he was out.
Yeah but all excuses aside, Barnes didn't play leaving Beardsley as the sole Big Four regular after Robson dropped out.
Never mind the qualifiers, Robson also used Steve Bull, Steve Hodge, Neil Webb etc regularly.
I'm talking about the World Cup of 1990, that's the last time England was truly unified behind all the players.

Name Changed

weso26
You guys do realise that it's actually not his choice to make....? FA can force him to play wether he wants it or not.
The can't really force him to do anything. He could be picked in the team and do nothing but sit down on the pitch if he so wished.

Ole'sbodyguard

Yeah but all excuses aside, Barnes didn't play leaving Beardsley as the sole Big Four regular after Robson dropped out.
Never mind the qualifiers, Robson also used Steve Bull, Steve Hodge, Neil Webb etc regularly.
I'm talking about the World Cup of 1990, that's the last time England was truly unified behind all the players.
I disagree on that being the last unified England side. Euro 96 was a pretty unified England team, probably because they actually had a shot of winning the thing and it was in England, and that had plenty of big club players in it. Seamen, Adams, Neville, Shearer, Mcmanaman, Ince(even if he had been sold on) all regulars in that side and even more in the squad.

Scoreboard Red

I disagree on that being the last unified England side. Euro 96 was a pretty unified England team, probably because they actually had a shot of winning the thing and it was in England, and that had plenty of big club players in it. Seamen, Adams, Neville, Shearer, Mcmanaman, Ince(even if he had been sold on) all regulars in that side and even more in the squad.
Yeah good point actually, Euro 1996 was a very patriotic time in England but in terms of World Cups, then definitely Italia 90.

fatboy

You guys do realise that it's actually not his choice to make....? FA can force him to play wether he wants it or not.
He can choose to retire from International football, it automatically puts him out of consideration for national team selection.

DoctorEvil

Its his decision to make. It would be nice if he makes himself unavailable until the top of the FA are gone, but this should be his choice.

Anyway, I voted E)boue, as I do on most caf polls.

Boss

Melodramatic, attention seeking space-attacker
I left you with enough memories to resurrect me wi
If you respect Rooney you would want him to represent his country as he clearly takes pride in wearing the shirt.

....but then again the United >England crew couldn't give a flying feck about his wishes. I remember people saying he should quit England before the world cup too.

It's just selfish in my opinion.

Crustanoid

Yes, and after handing in his resignation, smack Capello in the chops, boot JT in the nads and then lay his turd n the FA HQ floor

Heardy

I would love him to as it would be a bit of middle finger to the FA.

But if the lad enjoys playing for his country and being able to represent them at the World Cup and Euros, he shouldn't and won't even contemplate it.

I would like to see him to refuse certain FA / England type press marketing events though, because that'd be a big loss to them.

applemacdan

If he did retire, he would only change his mind by media pressure and fans calling out for him, come the next big tournament.

Although would be interesting to see, if he had scored a hat trick in an England shirt in the Semi Final of a World Cup against Germany, whilst being 2-0 down. Would they be banning him from the Final???

Average Joe

I thought this thread was intended as a joke.

NO he shouldn't retire from England. Massive overreaction, even though the charge is feckwittery of the highest order.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
I will just Quote what I posted in the other thread. I think it would be petty and ridiculous if he retired from your national team because of this

I still think the 2 games was very, very harsh. But Wayne Rooney had this coming to him. He is not an innocent party in all this. What a year he has had. From lack of form starting at the WC, to his comments to the camera about England fans. To the media shit storm on his private life, to his transfer request to his unprovoked idiotic elbow at Wigan and now this.

Most people with half a brain would know it would be best to keep their head down and not bring anything upon themselves after all he is one of the biggest names at one of the biggest clubs in the world. He has regained his form big time and now this. Why cannot he not learn that like it or not every move he makes will be judged and dissected? Why can’t he take a leaf out of the books from the vast majority of his team mates?

And now there are calls on the site for him to quit the national side? Do Manchester Utd really need the media and public backlash that will come with that? It would be a fecking disaster.

Wayne Rooney has baggage and he needs to sort himself out. Perhaps the ban even though is harsh will actually teach him a lesson. The only sympathy I have is with us the supporters, his teammates, Fergie and the club for missing their star player for 2 games. I have none at all for Rooney.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I'd love to see England win something with Rooney scoring the goals to take us there - retire my arse!

go and ask Wayne if he wants to retire and he will tell you (and all the viewers at home) to get fecked

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I prefer to have a player who speaks his mind Randall. Even if that gets himself in trouble from time to time, its Wayne Rooney, its what makes him a special footballer.

All the players swear on the pitch. All of them! So what are the FA doing exactly, whats the actual punishment? Swearing on tv? Or because he's Wayne Rooney?

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I prefer to have a player who speaks his mind Randall. Even if that gets himself in trouble from time to time, its Wayne Rooney, its what makes him a special footballer.

All the players swear on the pitch. All of them! So what are the FA doing exactly, whats the actual punishment? Swearing on tv? Or because he's Wayne Rooney?
Swearing DIRECTLY into the TV camera, a lot of people seem to be missing this.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
I'd love to see England win something with Rooney scoring the goals to take us there - retire my arse!

go and ask Wayne if he wants to retire and he will tell you (and all the viewers at home) to get fecked
Perhaps.

I'd just love to see them sweat...Rooney consdering his international future.

BaldwinLegend

Swearing DIRECTLY into the TV camera, a lot of people seem to be missing this.
Agree with this. Seems that because this incident coincided with Rooney exploding into form a lot of United fans assume it's an essential part of Rooney's game and needs to be there for him to perform well, thereby justifying it.

He should be trying to recapture his form without stuff like this though.

I'd have loved to have seen the reaction on here if he'd sworn several times directly into a TV camera without having just scored a hat trick which got us back into an important game we'd been 2-0 down in.

BaldwinLegend

I'd say most people are aware of that, to be fair, what with it being televised and all.
Since the general reaction on here has been 'swearing happens all the time/part of the game' I think it's entirely worthwhile pointing out that this wasn't the typical stuff amongst players that requires lipreading skills to understand.

Not sure why he needed patronising for pointing that out really.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
You really are a massive cock sometimes. feck off.

Did you even read the post I'd responded too?
Wind your neck in, child.

Of course everyone fecking knows he swore into a camera. Why state the bleeding obvious? Christ.

He is being charged with using "abusive language", according the FA themselves:

The FA has charged Manchester United’s Wayne Rooney for the use of offensive, insulting and / or abusive language.
Note, he is not being penalised for "abusive language in the direction of a camera". I'm fairly sure that rule doesn't exist. Hence, people are making the perfectly valid point that any footballer cursing on the pitch is guilty of the exact same "crime". A crime for which they have not been punished, including a number of blatant incidents in the same fecking weekend (Reina's tirade at the ref being a good example).

Why should it matter if the bad language is picked up by one of the many pitch-side microphones or by a camera?

Unless protecting the sensibilities of deaf people is more important to the FA than people with normal hearing?

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Note, he is not being penalised for "foul and abusive language in the direction of a camera". I'm fairly sure that rule doesn't exist. Hence, people are making the perfectly valid point that any footballer cursing on the pitch is guilty of the exact same "crime". A crime for which they have not been punished, including a number of blatant incidents in the same fecking weekend.
Aye, it's their own rule in their own words.

Bryan_Munich

Aka RichieRich12

Of course everyone fecking knows he swore into a camera. Why state the bleeding obvious? Christ.

Note, he is not being penalised for "abusive language in the direction of a camera". I'm fairly sure that rule doesn't exist. Hence, people are making the perfectly valid point that any footballer cursing on the pitch is guilty of the exact same "crime". A crime for which they have not been punished, including a number of blatant incidents in the same fecking weekend (Reina's tirade at the ref being a good example).

Why should it matter if the bad language is picked up by one of the many pitch-side microphones or by a camera?

Unless protecting the sensibilities of deaf people is more important to the FA than people with normal hearing?
DTguardian daniel taylor
Key point for FA: Rooney wasn't merely swearing (as happens), he AIMED his swearing at camera and, indirectly, the TV audience
It would appear that is exactly what they are doing.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
It would appear that is exactly what they are doing.
It seems that Daniel Taylor is as fond of stating the obvious as some on here.

The point he is making is irrelevant though. At least it should be, if the FA were to apply the laws of the game in a consistent manner. Which seems to be beyond them, once the good old British media get themselves whipped up into a storm of righteous indignation.

Bryan_Munich

Aka RichieRich12
It seems that Daniel Taylor is as fond of stating the obvious as some on here. Who care what he thinks though? The point he is making is irrelevant.
I was assuming that he is basing that on information he's been given rather than it being his opinion.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong.

BaldwinLegend

Because they clearly have a responsibility to react in some way to an incident like this - broadcast live to a global audience of millions. Any governing body would have to react in some way.

Instead of patronising elvis, you should patronise those who needed to have 'the obvious pointed out' to them.

Clearly it would be idiotic if the FA invoked this rule every time anyone swore on a pitch, but as a governing body it's right they choose to invoke it when someone needlessly goes beyond what's commonly accepted as acceptable.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I was assuming that he is basing that on information he's been given rather than it being his opinion.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong.
Don't get me wrong. It's obvious that the fact he swore down a camera is a factor in the FA throwing the book at them. If only, because it's a big factor in the media getting all in a lather.

The fact is, though, it shouldn't be. Their only role in this should be to ensure the laws of the game are correctly - and consistently - applied. Scape-goating one player in response to a single high-profile incident is a really pathetic way to operate. Especially when you have dozens and dozens of other players flagrantly flouting the exact same rule, week in, week out, at all levels of the game.

Reminds me a bit of UEFA deciding that they were suddenly going to retrospectively punish Eduardo for diving, out of the blue. As if he was the first player ever to get away with a dive in Champion's League history. Absurd.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Because they clearly have a responsibility to react in some way to an incident like this - broadcast live to a global audience of millions. Any governing body would have to react in some way.

Instead of patronising elvis, you should patronise those who needed to have 'the obvious pointed out' to them.

Clearly it would be idiotic if the FA invoked this rule every time anyone swore on a pitch, but as a governing body it's right they choose to invoke it when someone needlessly goes beyond what's commonly accepted as acceptable.
They're going to have to now, or be exposed as grossly unfair hypocrites.

I look forward to the next bit of effing and jeffing caught on a pitch-side mic. They've built a rod for their own back now. Incredibly unfair that United suffer as a result of their knee-jerk response to this incident but the least we can expect is that future transgressors are treated in the exact same way - whether they're cursing at a camera, the referee, or at each other.

BaldwinLegend

It seems that Daniel Taylor is as fond of stating the obvious as some on here.

The point he is making is irrelevant though. At least it should be, if the FA were to apply the laws of the game in a consistent manner. Which seems to be beyond them, once the good old British media get themselves whipped up into a storm of righteous indignation.
The obvious only needs to be stated if so many people are missing it.

Why would you want the FA to apply the law in a consistent manner to events which are clearly different from each other? Why should they treat incidents requiring lipreading the same as one involving clearly audible swearing directed at a camera in a game watched by millions? There's a difference between swearing amongst players and swearing directed at a camera.

BaldwinLegend

They're going to have to now, or be exposed as grossly unfair hypocrites.

I look forward to the next bit of effing and jeffing caught on a pitch-side mic. They've built a rod for their own back now. Incredibly unfair that United suffer as a result of their knee-jerk response to this incident but the least we can expect is that future transgressors are treated in the exact same way.
Why say 'caught'?

That word implies Rooney was unlucky - he directed it at the cameras, it's no surprise they bloody 'caught' it.