Should Rooney retire from England?

Should Rooney retire from international football?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bryan_Munich

Aka RichieRich12
The obvious only needs to be stated if so many people are missing it.

Why would you want the FA to apply the law in a consistent manner to events which are clearly different from each other? Why should they treat incidents requiring lipreading the same as one involving clearly audible swearing directed at a camera in a game watched by millions? There's a difference between swearing amongst players and swearing directed at a camera.
That is their key point, whether we agree with it or not.

BaldwinLegend

Clearly it would be idiotic if the FA invoked this rule every time anyone swore on a pitch
They're going to have to now, or be exposed as grossly unfair hypocrites.
Jesus Christ - no they're not. Did you read what you responded to there? Why would taking action against someone swearing directly into a camera during a match broadcast live ever lead to the FA having to take action anytime someone swore at all during a game?

This is idiotic and it makes your condescension of elvis even more inappropriate - you're still arguing about this as if there's no difference between inaudible swearing amongst players and swearing aimed directly at a TV camera and that both events should be treated the same by a governing body, ie: completely overlooked.

Bonkers.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Why would you want the FA to apply the law in a consistent manner to events which are clearly different from each other? Why should they treat incidents requiring lipreading the same as one involving clearly audible swearing directed at a camera in a game watched by millions? There's a difference between swearing amongst players and swearing directed at a camera.
Not in the laws of the game. The remit of the FA Disciplinary Committee begins and ends with applying these laws fairly.

What they're actually doing is choosing when they want to apply these laws and when they want to ignore them, in proportion to the amount of fuss generated by the media. Which is, obviously, unfair on the players/clubs likely to sell the most papers.

All that any of us want and expect from the FA is that they do their job in a far and even-handed manner. When they blatantly fail to do so, isn't it obvious why so many United fans (and, presumably, Fergie himself) are pissed off at them?

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Jesus Christ - no they're not. Did you read what you responded to there? Why would taking action against someone swearing directly into a camera during a match broadcast live ever lead to the FA having to take action anytime someone swore at all during a game?

This is idiotic and it makes your condescension of elvis even more inappropriate - you're still arguing about this as if there's no difference between inaudible swearing amongst players and swearing aimed directly at a TV camera and that both events should be treated the same by a governing body, ie: completely overlooked.

Bonkers.
"Inaudible swearing"? Eh? If nobody hears a footballer swear, how can they be punished?

I'm talking about players that can clearly be heard swearing, week in, week out. As I already pointed out, Reina could quite clearly be heard saying "feck off" (IIRC, might have said "feck's sake"?) in response to a penalty being awarded against him in a fixture the very same weekend. James Beatty also dropped the F-bomb, loudly and clearly, in the Blackpool game when he let Zamora run through on goal.

Those are just incidents you could hear on the TV coverage. For fans attending a game, there's literally dozens of incidents in any given game where they can hear footballers turning the air blue.

I'll tell you what's bonkers, it's you assertion that the laws should only be applied when the bad language is aimed in the direction of a camera. How did you work that one out?

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football

What's this "clearly audible swearing directed at a camera" stuff about?

There was nothing "clearly audible" about it. I had to replay it back 4 times with an increased volume to try and hear what he was saying.

As for "directed at a camera"...how can you say it was directed at a camera when you don't know who or what it was directed at.

Doesn't make any sense anyway if you think about it. Why should he direct it at a camera when probably the majority of those on the other end would be Manchester United fans. He's hardly going to swear at us now is he.

Btw lip reading can also be seen by millions.

BaldwinLegend

"Inaudible swearing"? Eh? If nobody hears a footballer swear, how can they be punished? I'm talking about players that can clearly be heard swearing, week in, week out. As I already pointed out, Reina could quite clearly be heard saying "feck off" (IIRC, might have said "feck's sake"?) in response to a penalty being awarded against him in a fixture the very same weekend. James Beatty also dropped the F-bomb, loudly and clearly, in the Blackpool game when he let Zamora run through on goal.

I'll tell you what's bonkers, it's you assertion that the laws should only be applied when the bad language is aimed in the direction of a camera. How did you work that one out?
If you can't see the difference between incidents featuring language used within the context of the game, and one's featuring a player deliberately finding a camera and aiming abusive language into it then I give up.

Trying to regulate against the incidents you use as examples would clearly have a detrimental effect on the game and be impossible. Isn't that incredibly obvious?

It should, however, be possible for a governing body to take measures against people running up to a camera with the express wish to swear directly into it.

I don't want that to feature in a game watched by millions of kids and I'd expect any governing body to voice their disapproval and consider taking appropriate action.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
If you can't see the difference between incidents featuring language used within the context of the game, and one's featuring a player deliberately finding a camera and aiming abusive language into it then I give up.

Trying to regulate against the incidents you use as examples would clearly have a detrimental effect on the game and be impossible. Isn't that incredibly obvious?

It should, however, be possible for a governing body to take measures against people running up to a camera with the express wish to swear directly into it.

I don't want that to feature in a game watched by millions of kids and I'd expect any governing body to voice their disapproval and consider taking appropriate action.
See, you're condemning him as guilty before he's had a chance to explain his actions. That suggests you have an agenda.

We don't know if he actively sought out the camera. There is every chance the camera actively sought him out, as they like to do on big goals...and had done earlier after the Hammer's second penalty.

We also do not know if that was Rooney's express intent" I'm gonna find that fooking camera and tell the world to feck off".:rolleyes: ,please. If you don't like Rooney anymore just say so.

lynchie

Didn't happen.

Brophs

The One and Only
Maybe this has been mentioned already, but apparantly the cameraman told Rooney to kiss the camera like Noble did & Rooney was directing his swearing at him, not folk at home..
Yeah, I get much the same reaction from my missus when I ask her to kiss it.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur

Simply quoting their own law, as written in their own rule book.

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football

:lol:

You're at it again! Look, just go and watch the video replay again because you've got yourself all muddled up here. I appreciate that you're struggling somewhat but making things up as you go along really isn't right.

I mean, stating he was "deliberately finding a camera and aiming abuse into it" is hardly going to help your case.

BTW...I hope you reported it to the "Respect for Cameras" campaigners.

AgainstAllOdds

I would love to see it happen but I wouldn't want him to.

He'd just get more abuse if he did it from the media, the people, everyone. On the other hand I want him to get abused after the season is over, I'm still cross with the fecker!

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
What does the regulatory body the FA who preside over all matters in English football, being retarded and bowing to peer pressure over a domestic matter have to do with him retiring from International football?

What a massively spastic notion.

It's a poll to gauge what the wider opinion is after a few posters mentioned they'd like to see him feck off England.

I don't think Rooney's going to come to the caf looking for career advice. Lighten up.
Considering a large amount of the posters themselves aren't English, what purpose or point would it prove?

...Other than, I wanted to make a poll.

pillory

Yes, they could do him for bringing the game into disrepute or something. They cannot do him for using foul and abusive language when the language he used wasn't foul and abusive by the standards every single PL game ever has been refereed by. (Well, they obviously can.)

Commadus

What does the FA being retarded and bowing to peer pressure over a domestic matter have to do with retiring from International football?

Considering a large amount of the posters themselves aren't English, what purpose or point would it prove?
As a protest to the FA. The FA only understands one thing and that is money and anything that will affect that will get their attention.

Mockney

As a protest to the FA. The FA only understands one thing and that is money and anything that will affect that will get their attention.
What attention?..What money?.. Again, what a massively spastic notion.

The FA are a regulatory body who preside over all of English football. They aren't the English national team, nor do they pick it or support it.

It's a retarded non-sequitar that the spastics are again wheeling out to have a pop at England/International football...And it shows little or no knowledge of how football, international or otherwise, operates.

Why I hope all our players stop playing for us as a protest to the Glazers/Gill...What?..Eh?...What is this retarded notion that the FA & England are the same thing?

And that's without even addressing the rather awkward principle of advocating players strike whenever things don't go their way...Aww diddums.

Dr. Dwayne

What does the regulatory body the FA who preside over all matters in English football, being retarded and bowing to peer pressure over a domestic matter have to do with him retiring from International football?

...Other than, I wanted to make a poll.
My apologies for having a finger on the pulse of the caf.

Commadus

What attention?..What money?.. Again, what a massively spastic notion.

The FA are a regulatory body who preside over all of English football. They aren't the English national team, nor do they pick it or supported.

It's a retarded non-sequitar that the spastics are again wheeling out to have a pop at England/International football...

Why I hope all our players stop playing for us as a protest to the Glazers/Gill...What?..Eh?...What is this retarded notion that the FA & England are the same thing?

And that's without even addressing the rather awkward principle of advocating players strike whenever things don't go their way...Aww diddums.
Dickney.

All I was saying was why people might support such a notion.

So get off your high horse. It's non-sequitur

Mockney

Dickney, nice...You could've gone with Cockney though, which would've had a double meaning, AND rhymed. But clearly you didn't have the imagination.

...Think about it.

"Oh the FA have banned him for 2 games for swearing...That's it! Retire from the national team!" ...What? What are you all, 6?

Finger on the pulse of the Caf or not, anyone who genuinuely thinks he should a) do it or b) it's a possibility, have no idea how football operates, what the FA actually is or does, and probably shouldn't have made it out of the newbies.

It's a retarded notion that makes no sense.

Commadus

Dickney, nice...You could've gone with Cockney though, which would've had a double meaning, AND rhymed. But clearly you didn't have the imagination.

...Think about it.

"Oh the FA have banned him for 2 games for swearing...That's it! Retire from the national team!" ...What? What are you 6?

Anyone who genuinuely thinks he should a) do it or b) it's apossibility, have no idea how football operates, what the FA actually is or does, and probably shouldn't have made it out of the newbies.
Neither do I have your anger issues over such a simple question posed by Dwayne.

I'll stick with Dickney as it will specifically refer to you. :D

Mockney

Oh good, we can all wheel out the "Mockney Meltdown" nonsense again just because I'm one of the only people sticking up for my National team in the face of blanket nonsense and complete irrationality.... Lovely....

Easy excuse Dwayne..Covering for the fact it's a retarded notion that anyone who knowns anything about football would know has no basis in reality or common sense ..

Fittingly apt for this site, or the "pulse of the Caf" that a mod made it.

Commadus

Does the FA control the England National Team? Decide on who its manager is. Which friendlies they play and where they play these friendlies?

Their role is more than just in a regulatory capacity. So the link is not as tenuous as you make out.

The FA's main commercial asset is its ownership of the rights to England internationals and the FA Cup.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Oh good, we can all wheel out the "Mockney Meltdown" nonsense again just because I'm one of the only people sticking up for my National team in the face of blanket nonsense and complete irrationality.... Lovely....

Easy excuse Dwayne..Covering for the fact it's a retarded notion that anyone who knowns anything about football would know has no basis in reality or common sense ..

Fittingly apt for this site, or the "pulse of the Caf" that a mod made it.
What does the fact a mod made it have to do with anything :confused:

Mockney

Does the FA control the England National Team? Decide on who its manager is. Which friendlies they play and where they play these friendlies?
And our board appoints our managers, but you don't see anyone declaring Rooney should quit United in protest at our owners and the friendlies he has to play in far flung places every August. That would be a retarded notion...As is this.

Their role is more than just in a regulatory capacity. So the link is not as tenuous as you make out.
It is tenuous in any real, footballing capacity.

The FA's main commercial asset is its ownership of the rights to England internationals and the FA Cup.
Well should we pull out of the FA Cup in protest too?...In fact, I think I'll make a thread on that.

What does the fact a mod made it have to do with anything :confused:
Everyone knows mods are only allowed post what they are told.
No, just I'd assume/prefer if you had some standards. Surely the people whose job it is to assess what is of a good enough quality for the site, delete threads and promote/ban posters, should be able to tell the difference between a retarded nonsense poll and actual worthwhile football stuff.

Anyone who knows anything about how football in this country operates would know this has 0.00000000001% of having any influence on Rooney's desire to play international football, or have any sway on his opinion on the England team, and is thus, a worthless topic and would probably have been deleted or not given poll status had a mod not made it.

The fact the boy has a tattoo of the St George's cross with the words English and Proud underneath, means it's all together more likely he'll give up playing for United before he does for England. But hey, cool poll dude.

The fact I've also been infracted for this, is, just :lol:

Brophs

The One and Only
Not to toot my own horn but check out post#4, motherbitchers.

Honk honk.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
the fact that Rooney is a proud Englishman is a very relevant point

however, does there reach a point where he gets fecked off with it?

In relation to the FA, off course they dont pick the team as such but they would be bloody embarrased if Rooney was to retire over this

Dr. Dwayne

We're appointed volunteers, actually so to say "job" is a bit much.

Let's look at the thread; it's hot, is approaching 10,000 views and over 70% of respondents have voted yes.

That's a lot of people you're calling retarded. Way to make friends and influence people.

Mockney

Aaah the whole popular = good argument..

They are retarded, and know nothing about football if they think it's a possibility...Fact.

Is the fact it's wish fulfilment for a lot of United fans - many of whom aren't English - really relevant to anything?.. It's still a hugely retarded thread/poll.

Commadus

lol

The Mockney Pignata has just exploded!

It was a fun notion but not as fun as watching you explode into a million pieces.

Commadus

We're appointed volunteers, actually so to say "job" is a bit much.

Let's look at the thread; it's hot, is approaching 10,000 views and over 70% of respondents have voted yes.

That's a lot of people you're calling retarded. Way to make friends and influence people.
Perhaps it may be a badge of allegiance they are called Retards by the all knowing Mockney. :lol:

BaldwinLegend

We also do not know if that was Rooney's express intent" I'm gonna find that fooking camera and tell the world to feck off".:rolleyes: ,please. If you don't like Rooney anymore just say so.
Do you actually read the site?

I'm one of about 4 people on here who's never said a bad word against Rooney throughout the last year and have argued that case vociferously across several threads, most recently with Hectic.

It's amazing I know, but somehow I can support Rooney, still think he was in the wrong in this incident, think he should accept his punishment, and not retire from international football. Yeah, far out, I know.