Should Rooney retire from England?

Should Rooney retire from international football?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I agree, it really does. And the neutral fans generally end up defending the Anti-brigade...(Not in a nasty Anti-England way per say, but you rarely hear someone out of the conversation chip in with "you can't call England fans pathetic" in the way you constantly hear "you can't call people who hate the England team pathetic")

And yet me and Brad are labelled Drama Queens for being one of the few who do bother to fight the vanguard ...And if the moses' of this world find us irksome for arguing against the mods, then I'd propose we feel exactly the same in this situation (except our opponents aren't being consistently infracted for it.).
You self righteous clown. i don't mind arguing against the mods, I mind arguing against the mods because they are mods, which is dumb.

You are the one banging on about threads being closed on a whim and your little crusade here is over a fecking poll? Not even an opinion but a poll. So your hypocrisy is another thing I find irksome. Just so you know for any future digs you want to have.

Your relationship with site moderation is like a 7 year old boy wondering why he's compelled to pull the little girls pigtails in the schoolyard. Well not that the 7 year old will actually wonder why he's being a dick, but that just reinforces the simile.

Your ego and self importance can't bear not calling the shots.

Don't worry, not gettting your way might stand to you.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Seriously though, why would the FA decide to take it upon themselves to 'single out' England's best and most bankable player?
That's a good point. I bet the FA would rather it was anyone but Rooney constantly attracting all this negative attention. It's all very damaging for the image of their national team.

The reason he is being singled out, though, is because of the English press and the power they seem to hold over the decision-makers in the FA.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Certainly my generation haven't. I was born in '90 and have mainly just experienced successful times as a United supporter. We've all gone through dips in form and disappointing seasons but no, most of us haven't fully experienced the barron years. And a lot of those that have were young when they happened.

My dad's generation were early 20s when United were relegated and were pretty rubbish in the mid 70s, most of us haven't experienced that level yet. But if we do maybe it'll sort out the true United supporters from the fair weather fans. I think we'd lose a lot but personally I think a sizeable amount of the younger generations would stay with United.
I didnt mean my post to sound like that I knew what it was like either by the way. All my teenage and adult life its been win, win all the way.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Seriously though, why would the FA decide to take it upon themselves to 'single out' England's best and most bankable player?
I ask alot of similar seemingly baffling questions about football governing bodies Baldwin. Who is to say?

We'll see what happens when it comes to the actual punishment I should suppose.

Maestro Minded

He can choose to retire from International football, it automatically puts him out of consideration for national team selection.
no he can't

as long as he's playing club football, he's available for international football...

BUT usually, when somebody decides to retire from international play, the coach respects that, but not always.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
But not when he plays for England. Or am I mistaken?
No, apparently when he plays for England he is free to swear at the cameras, but that's FIFAs tournament so I guess the FA didn't have the jurisdiction to act?

Of course, that whole three match ban for getting a red card in a friendly in Holland or wherever it was makes a mockery of that but whatever...

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
you're a patriot Mockney, i'll give you that
I'm really not. I hate our national anthem for one. Am embarrassed by most of our colonial past, despise both the monarchy our current Prime Minister and am angry and ashamed that we lied our way into a war in Iraq.

Call me old fashioned, but don't feel like stopping supporting my national team because they're shit, our media are arseholes, some of our players cocks and the people running the game at boardroom level are out of touch, self interested wind bags....I mean, if I stopped supporting cos of that, I'd have to take up Tennis.

You self righteous clown.
There we go again...I wasn't actually having a go at you, or intending to, merely trying to draw a parallel, but cheers. You've done the whole "lets not pick on assumed personality traits" truce we sort of had going there proud.

i don't mind arguing against the mods, I mind arguing against the mods because they are mods, which is dumb.
I don't argue against Brophs in fairness. Or Spoony in general. Or noodle outside of the World Cup cockery.

Plus, I find arguing against England because it's england dumb as well...Especially when England hasn't just infracted you for calling them shit.

You are the one banging on about threads being closed on a whim and your little crusade here is over a fecking poll? Not even an opinion but a poll. So your hypocrisy is another thing I find irksome. Just so you know for any future digs you want to have.
Having a meltdown moses?

Your relationship with site moderation is like a 7 year old boy wondering why he's compelled to pull the little girls pigtails in the schoolyard. Well not that the 7 year old will actually wonder why he's being a dick, but that just reinforces the simile.

Your ego and self importance can't bear not calling the shots.

Don't worry, not gettting your way might stand to you.
:lol:....Did someone just step on your foot or something?

Have a horlicks dear.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
You're metdown obsessed Mockers.

And someone calling you self righteous may actually have a point, not just using some stereotyope you've dreamed up, maybe if people keep saying it they might have a point. Surey you're not self righteous enough to just dismiss all criticism?

On the poll, I thought you were all for free speech, or it that just your speech?

Brophs

The One and Only
no he can't

as long as he's playing club football, he's available for international football...

BUT usually, when somebody decides to retire from international play, the coach respects that, but not always.
I'll bet both my nuts that all that idiotic, restrictive rule would need to disappear is one organised legal challenge. The only reason players haven't done it yet are:

(1) They fear the backlash in their own countries
(2) Their national managers generally aren't as retarded as Domenech.

If Waybe Rooney decided he didn't want to play international football in the morning - not that he will - and was prepared to follow it through he wouldn't be forced to.

Spoony

The People's President
No, apparently when he plays for England he is free to swear at the cameras, but that's FIFAs tournament so I guess the FA didn't have the jurisdiction to act?

Of course, that whole three match ban for getting a red card in a friendly in Holland or wherever it was makes a mockery of that but whatever...
What pisses me off the most about this whole debacle, is not Rooney's bad language or the expected media hysteria...heck, it's not even the subsequent 2 match ban. What irks me most, is broadcasters have Ofcom regulations to adhere to, yet even when they(Sky) had a chance to censor the bad language...language that wasn't scripted, they refused to make use of the three second delay. Instead, they've used the incident to create controversy. Why hasn't Ofcom slapped Sky's wrists? I find it all a tad strange.

Boss

Melodramatic, attention seeking space-attacker
I left you with enough memories to resurrect me wi
No, but it has been there. I'm Irish Boss, just watching. But with an objective eye I have been wondering since 1988 why the England players put up with so much negative attention. The shirt seems to be quite a burden for many, which is sad. International football can be great.
I understand but in your objectivity do you also consider the number of reasons why an English footballer would take pride on putting on the shirt?

I believe it far outweighs the negative media but it's subjective.

Rooney has had abuse by the media, he's proud of representing his country.

David Beckham has has taken dogs abuse but loves the national team, fecking loves it I tell ya!

Gary Neville too,

Basically despite what the media says these lads are proud of representing England and each cap brings alot of pride and in my opinion they would appreciate it if fans of United didn't want them to retire but support them in their endeavours.

Maestro Minded

I'll bet both my nuts that all that idiotic, restrictive rule would need to disappear is one organised legal challenge. The only reason players haven't done it yet are:

(1) They fear the backlash in their own countries
(2) Their national managers generally aren't as retarded as Domenech.

If Waybe Rooney decided he didn't want to play international football in the morning - not that he will - and was prepared to follow it through he wouldn't be forced to.
There is an agreement between FIFA and domestic Football Associasions. You already seem to know what Domenech did, so I wont go there... But i doubt that a single idividual like Rooney would be able to do anything about the rules. However, if the media would follow up on that, they might be able to do something about it.

Dr. Dwayne

What pisses me off the most about this whole debacle, is not Rooney's bad language, it's not even the expected media hysteria or even subsequent the 2 match ban. What irks me most, is broadcasters have Ofcom regulations to adhere to, yet even when they(Sky) had a chance to censor the bad language...language that wasn't scripted, they refused to make use of the three second delay. Instead, they've used the incident to create controversy. What hasn't Ofcom slapped Sky's wrists? I find it all a tad strange.
Aye, that is strange and a point made by many yesterday in the football forum.

BaldwinLegend

What pisses me off the most about this whole debacle, is not Rooney's bad language, it's not even the expected media hysteria or even subsequent the 2 match ban. What irks me most, is broadcasters have Ofcom regulations to adhere to, yet even when they(Sky) had a chance to censor the bad language...language that wasn't scripted, they refused to make use of the three second delay. Instead, they've used the incident to create controversy. What hasn't Ofcom slapped Sky's wrists? I find it all a tad strange.
On a similar vein, I thought the Sky interviewer who spoke to SAF during the interview which led to the touchline ban was clearly intent on leading the interview in a certain way to get Fergie to say what he wanted him to. SAF should know better but still, they were clearly intent on getting him to say something controversial there.

londonredmaniac

On a similar vein, I thought the Sky interviewer who spoke to SAF during the interview which led to the touchline ban was clearly intent on leading the interview in a certain way to get Fergie to say what he wanted him to. SAF should know better but still, they were clearly intent on getting him to say something controversial there.
Sometimes you just bite when you're pissed off I suppose.

Even when you know you shouldn't.

Brophs

The One and Only
There is an agreement between FIFA and domestic Football Associasions. You already seem to know what Domenech did, so I wont go there... But i doubt that a single idividual like Rooney would be able to do anything about the rules. If the media would follow up on that, they might be able to do something about it.
Those agreements only work because they haven't been challenged. Bring that case to Europe and explain you don't want to play for your country but are being forced to and there'll only be one outcome. Where does this apparent duty to represent your country arise from?

IMHO, of course.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I understand but in your objectivity do you also consider the number of reasons why an English footballer would take pride on putting on the shirt?

I believe it far outweighs the negative media but it's subjective.

Rooney has had abuse by the media, he's proud of representing his country.

David Beckham has has taken dogs abuse but loves the national team, fecking loves it I tell ya!

Gary Neville too,

Basically despite what the media says these lads are proud of representing England and each cap brings alot of pride and in my opinion they would appreciate it if fans of United didn't want them to retire but support them in their endeavours.

Of course, and playing is the default, for anyone anywhere. The fact that it is even being mooted as an option is a disgrace. Why should it be anything but a pleasure? And it's all about profile, so the extra profile the players have should be taken into account by the FA. The press cannot be stopped from harming England it seems, so all the footballing parties should circle the wagons, but sadly they don't.

phelans shorts

It was MUTV, why would they do that?

Spoony

The People's President
Sky are a kin to the tabloids - Sky, Talksport and anything else related to Murdoch. The man's gutter and so is his media empire.

Mockney

You're metdown obsessed Mockers.
Possibly because I've never personally attacked a poster over an internet argument in the hilarious OTT red faced ranty way you just have, and yet I'm the one with the label for having one....Seems odd. Ho hum.

And someone calling you self righteous may actually have a point not just using some stereotyope you've dreamed up, maybe if people keep saying it they might have a point. Surey you're not self righteous enough to just dismiss all criticism?
Not at all. I can be fairly self righteous over some issues. Religion being one, any argument with TMRD over welfare is another. Though I try and never reduce my posts to a single stream of completely assumed personal bile against someone I've never met.....I usually try and pop a topical point in there somewhere. Call me self righteous I know, but that's just how I roll.

On the poll, I thought you were all for free speech, or it that just your speech?
:lol: Have I attempted to have the poll closed at any point?

Where's all the anger come from grasshopper?...I was attempting to draw a paralel between how irked you are to have me bang on about the mods, with how irked I am by having people bang on about England and the reasons they should be blamed for everything and how I'm a top white patriotic nationalist for still supporting my national team.

I see I should try and be more like you.

noodlehair

"It's like..."

The FA don't exactly have the greatest track record when it comes to acting in the best interests of the national team. In fact, they probably do more damage to the England team than every other entity combined.

But then, aside from fecking everything up, not sticking to their own rules, and persuing pointless, petty agendas, what exactly do the FA have a good track record with?

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Possibly because I've never personally attacked a poster over an internet argument in the hilarious OTT red faced ranty way you just have, and yet I'm the one with the label for having one....Seems odd. Ho hum.

Not at all. I can be fairly self righteous over some issues. Religion being one, any argument with TMRD over welfare is another. Though I try and never reduce my posts to a single stream of completely assumed personal bile against someone I've never met.....I usually try and pop a topical point in there somewhere. Call me self righteous I know, but that's just how I roll.

:lol: Have I attempted to have the poll closed at any point?

Where's all the anger come from grasshopper?...I was attempting to draw a paralel between how irked you are to have me bang on about the mods, with how irked I am by having people bang on about England and the reasons they should be blamed for everything and how I'm a top white patriotic nationalist for still supporting my national team.

I see I should try and be more like you.
I can say all I've said calmly, when I storm off you know you've got me.

You are a liar as well, or else you don't remember the 'pious twat' speech you gave a few weeks ago?

Read that again then read your last tribute to yourself above .

Alwyn

Got rid of his pee
Just ignore each other ffs. You're obviously both trying to make out as if neither of you care, and are having a "I'm not getting wound up" contest, so you may as well just nip it in the bud and go do something productive.

Brophs

The One and Only
Just ignore each other ffs. You're obviously both trying to make out as if neither of you care, and are having a "I'm not getting wound up" contest, so you may as well just nip it in the bud and go do something productive.
No one likes you, you Welsh cnut.

Mockney

I can say all I've said calmly, when I storm off you know you've got me.
As can I. I'm not attempting to "get you"...In fact I wasn't even attempting to have an argument with you. You seem to be the one doing that with me.

You are a liar as well, or else you don't remember the 'pious twat' speech you gave a few weeks ago?
I'm pretty sure it was on topic. But again, if I have, I'm completely willing to call myself a hypocrite. I'm sure I have been many times on this board. You seem to be the one intent on dishing out the personal insults and getting into a tizz over this. Knock yourself out.

Read that again then read your last tribute to yourself above .
..And I'm self righteous?

I wasn't attempting to do anything. In fact I've been barely talking to moses in this thread, he seems intent on going all "Mockney Meltdown" on me though......Not that I care.

londonredmaniac

Also it should be mentioned a good proportion of folk voted in alot of anger in reaction to the FA decision.

Heat of the moment anyone?

BaldwinLegend

The FA don't exactly have the greatest track record when it comes to acting in the best interests of the national team. In fact, they probably do more damage to the England team than every other entity combined.

But then, aside from fecking everything up, not sticking to their own rules, and persuing pointless, petty agendas, what exactly do the FA have a good track record with?
Is there any point discussing it with you?

Alwyn

Got rid of his pee
No one likes you, you Welsh cnut.
You see, Top infracted me for a similar throwaway insult a while ago (not aimed at him).

This just reinforces Mockney's double standards point.

Bastards.

Dr. Dwayne

Also it should be mentioned a good proportion of folk voted in alot of anger in reaction to the FA decision.

Heat of the moment anyone?
Oh absolutely, but surely it helped confine that sentiment to one thread rather than have it popping up in three or four of them.

Also I wanted it to reflect the immediate reaction to the decision, which is why it closes tomorrow.

Brophs

The One and Only
You see, Top infracted me for a similar throwaway insult a while ago (not aimed at him).

This just reinforces Mockney's double standards point.

Bastards.
I wouldn't use Top as the standard bearer for anything, other than how to be best friends with his mother.

Also I was lying. And you're probably not Welsh. You fecking cnut.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
As can I. I'm not attempting to "get you"...In fact I wasn't even attempting to have an argument with you. You seem to be the one doing that with me.

I'm pretty sure it was on topic.
But again, if I have, I'm completely willing to call myself a hypocrite. I'm sure I have been many times on this board. You seem to be the one intent on dishing out the personal insults and getting into a tizz over this. Knock yourself out.

..And I'm self righteous?

I wasn't attempting to do anything. In fact I've been barely talking to moses in this thread, he seems intent on going all "Mockney Meltdown" on me though......Not that I care.
So your insults are on topic and therefore not subject to the standards you are banging on about in here. Wow. It really is your rules or no game eh?

On the mockney meltdown, I think you might have mentioned it first, after all there is no bad publicity eh?