Should Ten Hag get the sack if he fails to qualify for the CL?

Should ten Hag get the sack if he fails to qualify for the Champions League?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
No because there have been so many extenuating circumstances this year it’s impossible to tell whether he’s been dealt a fecking dud hand and done well or if he’s making mistakes. A second season without all the bollocks would help us see that. He’s had no time on the training ground with the team since October, two games a week every single week for 7 months.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
This isn't a knee-jerk thread. No other United manager survived not qualifying for the CL in his first full season post-Fergie.

It's a distinct possibility now. Should he stay or go if it happens?

We need a poll.
You're a fecking disgrace.

Spark

Season is getting dangerously close to going off the boil spectacularly, but I honestly think he’d replace half the squad if he could. Our depth is shocking and even our first team quality is a joke.

We’ve been gash away from home - ironically Ole’s strength at one point - but this season has been infinitely better performance wise versus previous. Should Chelsea have sacked Tuchel or even Spurs Poch a few seasons back? Were Liverpool wrong for not sacking Klopp for losing a Europa League final and finishing 8th in his first season? Shit can spiral quickly and it’s obvious that something is being built and a couple - albeit not guaranteed - shrewd signings can make a massive difference.

United were shit today, it’s annoying and infuriating that we’re looking at bottling top 4. But ETH is definitely not the problem, people calling for him to be sacked are the epitome of kneejerk.

C3Pique

He's been hamstrung by the players to an extent, but still has some red flags. Eriksen in a 2 doesnt work. Lack of rotation, overplaying Antony / Sancho whilst loaning Amad and leaving Pellistri on the bench whilst exhausting the first 11 in all comps.
Playing Weghorst and going almost an entire season without a recognised striker, yet not coming up with a system for the attackers we have.

Realistically I think he's been naive and stubborn to the realities of the PL. But I don't think another manager comes in and makes this group of players better. One more season for me, expecting better league performance and gone if no improvement or finishing outside top 4.

fergies coat

Pep only just managed to get CL football in his first on goal difference. We've have played more games than anyone, and don't have a striker. Car crash of a thread.

dove

Me personally no but I wouldn't question people who vote yes. We don't look good at all and haven't looked good for a while now. I can't say we have really improved with him.

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
Is this really a serious question? Should the guy who has over achieved in his first season get the sack for not over achieving more???????

Amir

Obviously not.

Not least because at the start of the season we generally weren't expected to finish in the top four anyway.

The bookmakers had us finishing 6th and a poll on this forum saw 61.6% predicting we'd finish outside the top four, 80.1% predicting no better than 4th. It's not realistic to sack a manager at the end of the season for failing to meet expectations he wasn't actually expected to meet.
To be perfectly fair, they surely had us finishing 6th based on the assumption Liverpool and Chelsea would have good seasons. We got a little lucky there.

But it doesn't matter, really. I'm happy with what I've seen from Ten Hag. He should stay no matter what and further his rebuild.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
When are we gonna realise that it’s the players! It must be if 3/4 managers before ETH couldn’t do anything. I don’t think pep would get this team to play and win games how he wants. Difference is we have owners who have no idea how to sell players or can’t sell players because of the ridiculous wages they’ve offered out. No one wants to pay it!

RedDevilRoshi

Absolutely not. Even Pep Guardiola would struggle with this group of players and owners. Are people forgetting what it’s been like for the past few seasons? These players don’t have the mentality when the going gets tough. Performances like tonight are nothing new. We’ve seen them so often in the past. Our issues have stemmed much further, even before ETH’s arrival. He’s just inherited this mess of a squad and a group of owners that simply couldn’t care less as long as they get their dividends.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
No, but I’m less and less impressed and seen this coming months ago going for every comp stretching with our squad so thin and with no time to train actual tactics. We look a mess

Siorac

I... I don't know.

If it weren't for the crazy fixture congestion, I'd say he's been disappointing. Our play has regressed to the Ole days, ball retention has got steadily worse during the season, and our attack has become completely blunt when Rashford has gone off the boil. A 7-0 humiliation at Anfield, persisting with Weghorst...

On the other hand, he's been unlucky with the aforementioned insane fixture pile-up, the Casemiro suspensions, injuries... and of course we won a trophy and knocked out runaway La Liga winners Barcelona from the EL. And before the World Cup and for a while after it, there seemed to be some genuine progress towards modernising our football.

So I'm leaning towards giving him another season even if (when) we bottle top 4. But then he needs to be properly supported in terms of recruitment - and by that I don't mean just buy whatever Eredivisie player he points at. No, he should be presented with options that fit the style and profile of player he needs for any given position.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
We are at zero.
Like, seriously. What proof of a vision and identity is there? We don’t even have a tangible style of play he’s trying to implement because he’s constantly chopping and changing it. Does he see Fernandes (our captain) as a no.10, still? Does he actually like him playing wide? Do we actually want to dominate possession in matches — because with how careless we are with turnovers it doesn’t seem like it.

Telsim

No.

But he needs to clean house in the summer, provided the club allows him to do that. Too many shit players leading up to a shit team.

SER19

I'm on the fence but voted yes because I think not doing so just prolongs this endless idea that at United standards and targets dont actually mean anything. I really like ten hag, but the last couple of months are simply as bad as anything post ferguson, with the exception of last season when players just stopped.

Idxomer

Pep only just managed to get CL football in his first on goal difference. We've have played more games than anyone, and don't have a striker. Car crash of a thread.
Wrong, that was Pellegrini. They played the best football in the league in his first season and what cost them is having a keeper who couldn't save any shot to save his life.

redcucumber

I fully wanted and backed him but could you imagine Real Madrid settling for that? They wouldn’t and that’s why they’ve won 13 Champion’s League titles. When you’ve been in the top 4 the majority of the season it’s completely unacceptable to fall out of top 4 to the Scouse rats, who he was also responsible for gifting them their biggest gloating point in their club’s history.
We aren't Real Madrid ffs. Maybe you like to imagine us as being like for like, but we really aren't.

Witchking

Is this really a serious question? Should the guy who has over achieved in his first season get the sack for not over achieving more???????
There is no point in over achieving when at the end of the season you have let slip what you had. Liverpool have been laughed at and we have lost the exact same number of matches as them. Sack is a bit too far, but he should be on notice. Has dropped the ball. Hasn't been able to get United to wake up in the second half since FEB now. Unable to get the team to score goals. Subs have been atrocious. All round bad. Has to take blame.

Viral United

Some here are treating that League Cup win as if it's Champions League trophy.

Really get a goddamn grip and have some standards.
It's crazy to think so many fans don't think top 4 should be bare minimum expectations after spending feck lot of money.

Lee565

If he fails to get top 4 then this season is a flop and he is lucky that the glazers are still in charge because I can imagine that either of the current bidders would boot him.

There are a lot of good managers up for grabs this summer, naglesman for a start who in fairness has more clout than ten hag did before he joined us.

And it's not down to having no striker, We aren't even playing good football under ten hag and seems like the token honeymoon period has vanished now and would it be wise to see it out next season and potentially write off another season if the results stay the same as they have since cup final, we saw the mess it caused last season.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Like, seriously. What proof of a vision and identity is there? We don’t even have a tangible style of play he’s trying to implement because he’s constantly chopping and changing it. Does he see Fernandes (our captain) as a no.10, still? Does he actually like him playing wide? Do we actually want to dominate possession in matches — because with how careless we are with turnovers it doesn’t seem like it.
My faith in him is dwindling every time I see Weghorst.
He says lots of good stuff but we've been aimless for a large portion of our games.

Idxomer

No because there have been so many extenuating circumstances this year it’s impossible to tell whether he’s been dealt a fecking dud hand and done well or if he’s making mistakes. A second season without all the bollocks would help us see that. He’s had no time on the training ground with the team since October, two games a week every single week for 7 months.
I would've been 100% in that position if not for all those inexplicable missteps he has done since January.

Witchking

I have a feeling that the "yes" vote option numbers will start to creep up if we finish 5th and lose the FA cup final
There is not even a 1% chance that we win the FA cup. We will get slaughtered with the loser mentality of supposedly main players like Rashford and Shaw and De Gea.

Fooza

No

If he sticks with some of these players next year like De Gea though, I would lose all trust in him and he won't last long.

Todd

No. He made significant progress this season, and with a good summer he can have us in good shape to compete for top 4 next season. My most pessimistic view would still be giving him one more full season to see what he can do with a revamped squad.

This dumpster fire was never going to be sorted in one summer window plus a winter window in which nothing was done. It was a multi-year project from day one.

crossy1686

career ending
There is not even a 1% chance that we win the FA cup. We will get slaughtered with the loser mentality of supposedly main players like Rashford and Shaw and De Gea.
Unfair on Rashford, he's carried us this season again but the rest will bottle it and we'll be set up all wrong from the off. I promise you we'll start with going toe to toe with City.

redom

This is the thing that's been in my mind a lot recently, I wonder just how much coaching this team has had, when you've had a schedule like ours it's got to be mainly recovery days and light training sessions so how much learning and reps are we really getting in?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
We aren't Real Madrid ffs. Maybe you like to imagine us as being like for like, but we really aren't.
We aren’t Madrid because we’ve allowed our expectations to go from being PL champions to being content with CL qualification over the course of the last 10 years. In the next 10 years we may well have lowered expectations to be happy with top half finishes. That’s why it’s important to maintain expectations and keep standards high.