Should Ten Hag get the sack if he fails to qualify for the CL?

Should ten Hag get the sack if he fails to qualify for the Champions League?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
This is the thing that's been in my mind a lot recently, I wonder just how much coaching this team has had, when you've had a schedule like ours it's got to be mainly recovery days and light training sessions so how much learning and reps are we really getting in?
He’s said a few times I think that it’s essentially recovery - match - recovery. The patterns of play have all but gone recently and it’s very similar to last season where the players appear to just be winging it. Not enough time for coaching.

Chairman Steve

And I echo that this season has been one of the most tumultuous seasons I’ve ever seen.

A winter World Cup
The owners deciding to finally sell
A rogue star striker who got himself sacked
Another striker who we cannot use as he is suspended
The complete mess of a squad he inherited (£80m captain found to be actually a regular bench option being pretty damning)

So hopefully the ownership issue is resolved fast and we can make a real fresh start.

siw2007

No. He has done a good job up until now. He has bled every ounce out of this team this season, we are going to be playing over 60 games this year and that is testament to how well we have done in all competitions. We are paying for it now, he needs to get more from this team but I’m not sure there is much more this team can give because it lacks strength in depth.

Besides, if you sack him, then you have to replace him with someone better and I’m not sure there is one out there.

Lights Out

If you are thinking this manager should be sacked after one season, in which he’s won a trophy, then you’re a cnut and a disgrace

Manncunian

To those who don’t think he should get the sack what are you’re reasons for this? And you can’t say the footballs been better
We can say that and we will. If you don’t think it has overall this season been better then you’re clueless.

The Hilton

If he fails to get top 4 then this season is a flop and he is lucky that the glazers are still in charge because I can imagine that either of the current bidders would boot him.

There are a lot of good managers up for grabs this summer, naglesman for a start who in fairness has more clout than ten hag did before he joined us.

And it's not down to having no striker, We aren't even playing good football under ten hag and seems like the token honeymoon period has vanished now and would it be wise to see it out next season and potentially write off another season if the results stay the same as they have since cup final, we saw the mess it caused last season.
It's mind boggling that people are suggesting Nagelsmann as a replacement for EtH, given that our main problem is that we have very few players who can play football that isn't sitting deep and countering at a high level.

Nagelsmann would be more of the exact same with these players (except with less charisma and authority if his time at Bayern is anything to go by).

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
The Manchester United manager should only remain the Manchester United manager if the Manchester United footballing executive feels they are the best man for the job.

If there’s someone you feel more confident in, then move for him. If there’s not, then you keep with the incumbent.

Caellum

Rangnick told us last season how poor this squad were and that it would take 4-6 transfer windows and 10 new players to turn things around, well ETH has had 1 window you can't count January as the board refused to buy any one, and pulled in 3 last minute loan deals United are still 3 good transfer windows away from challenging for the title, change the manager and we are back to square one.

redom

He’s said a few times I think that it’s essentially recovery - match - recovery. The patterns of play have all but gone recently and it’s very similar to last season where the players appear to just be winging it. Not enough time for coaching.
Seems like we sabotaged ourselves by going so deep in all competitions.

Jeffthered

A disgraceful forum. Disgraceful.

You think ETH needs this way of thinking?

This is why I am so disenchanted with football. And why I think fans deserve what we sometimes get. This is a simply dreadful theme.

We are struggling, and it's a fight. So we support him.

He has inherited an awful, awful squad, mood... and look where we are. We win two and we get CL.

I still think we can do it. Those who don't, I have no time for at all. I have been supporting Manchester United a v long time, and I love this club. Love it.

Jacky Quacky

made eight consecutive posts about Fellaini once
We can say that and we will. If you don’t think it has overall this season been better then you’re clueless.
We just lost to a David moyes team who we haven’t lost too since he took us into the shit, and we deserved to lose. Our away recording is appalling overall and our signings bar Martinez haven’t been great

hobbers

It's a perfectly valid question.

Throwing top four from the position we were in is almost unprecedentedly shite management.

If we finish outside the top four this season, and then are on course to finish out of the top four next season, that would represent no progress and Erik will have run out of road here.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Just like you can't outtrain a bad diet, you can't perform miracles all season without the squad.

We've basically had no striker all season, and relied on a wonder period from Rashford.
Now he's dropped a gear, we barely look like scoring. That's an ever so massive issue when your keeper is letting pea rollers in from 30 yards.

Parma Dewol

Hell no. Erik’s the only good thing we have going for us.

My concern is our shambles of a club could be enough to break Erik; he certainly wouldn’t be the first manager to be made a mockery of by everything else around him.

simplyared

The only thing he's done wrong imo is the signing of Antony. That alone is pretty bad judgement considering he'd worked with the player. Sacked for not qualifying for CL? Naah!
For signing that fizz pop???

ShinjiNinja26

Ten Hag isn’t the problem here, the players are. A lot of which are the same bunch that have let the club down time and time again. The fact he was able to secure us our first bit of silverware in years shows we’re making progress. Once he’s got the right tools for the job then I’ve no doubt he’ll have us competing for serious honours.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
A disgraceful forum. Disgraceful.

You think ETH needs this way of thinking?

This is why I am so disenchanted with football. And why I think fans deserve what we sometimes get. This is a simply dreadful theme.

We are struggling, and it's a fight. So we support him.

He has inherited an awful, awful squad, mood... and look where we are. We win two and we get CL.

I still think we can do it. Those who don't, I have no time for at all. I have been supporting Manchester United a v long time, and I love this club. Love it.
You get sacked!

Seriously though, good points.

Devil81

He needs at least 3 windows with money before he's judged. January was a joke, he got threw a dud.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Won't achieve anything. Our squad is still terrible and no manager will over come that. Dreading having no CL money to improve it, will set us back years.

Jacky Quacky

made eight consecutive posts about Fellaini once
Some people really can’t handle different opinions can they and resort to childish insults. I did think ETH was the right appointment for us but if we’re continuing to play poor football and miss out on top 4 then I don’t think it’s an awful reason to sack him

PSV

Squandered 100 mill in the summer on absolute gash and keeps making dodgy tactical choices. It'd be foolish not to evaluate our options at least. A firing out of contempt would be silly, there would have to be a solid alternative available.

I think he's comfortably the second best Dutch manager we've had.

Manncunian

Some people really can’t handle different opinions can they and resort to childish insults. I did think ETH was the right appointment for us but if we’re continuing to play poor football and miss out on top 4 then I don’t think it’s an awful reason to sack him
Pot kettle :lol: :lol:

ArbeitervonWien

Oh, feck off!

I really hate losing this way. Pathetic performances, pathetic threads. On nights like this, I somehow wouldn't mind beeing taken over by the Quataris, so I could finally loose interest in football. I could spend my time with the good things in life. Learning the names of the flowers or how to recognize the birds by its songs instead of watching Wout fecking Weghorst trying to control a ball.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
He's obviously not going to get the sack.

But questions need to be asked in regards to the manner in which this team is throwing games away now.

Whether it's the manager or not, the only consistent factor is the number of players still in the squad from previous managers. At some point you have to start stripping out the core assets and rebuild.

As a manager, he can certainly argue the point that his goalkeeping and striker options need an upgrade. I'm unsure if that is his point of view of course, but that argument is there. We all know they should've been addressed long before EtH, Rangnick and Solskjaer!

You simply cannot win football matches and challenge for major honours without a good goalkeeper and a 25 goal out and out striker, neither of which we have on the books in 2023. And yes, we won the Carabao Cup but let's be real about that run.

klsv

Here he comes
Got no questions, got no love
I'm throwing stones at you man
I want you black and blue and
I'm gonna make you bleed
Gonna bring you down to your knees
Bye bye, badman
Bye bye
And enjoy
The mince pie

Rustyspider13

No. He has made mistakes. But if we bottle top 4 it's on the players. Players like DDG. You cannot overlook the shitty hand that has been dealt to him.

Our starting striker decided to feck off mid season.
Our backup striker can't play 5 games consecutively.
Our board can't sanction a move for a striker in January.
Our only DM is suspended for 6 league games.
Our only ball playing CM misses months with injury.
Our 2 CBs get injured at the same time at the business end of the season.
Our GK fecks up the simplest of tasks.

All the while being surrounded by media who amplify any mistake because it's United, the referees making brainless calls and a football structure that can't support him. He isn't a saint. But he has done enough and has shown enough to warrant another season. At the very least I need to see what he can do with a striker and a mobile CM next season before calling for his head.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
The number of people who try to defend ETH here is very worrying. Every manager post SAF had their problems with the squad taking over, every single one of them was backed and so was ETH. Even after this long season he shows some very questionable decisions. There is no was to lose points against some of the most woeful teams in the league let alone being beaten without creating real chances and playing half watchable football. That alone got slightly better but there have been equal number of absolute woeful games like in previous regimes. Fecking up EL with his team selections, some shambolic results vs. Liverpool and City.

We should look at the points he has gotten us at the end because he might get similar numbers as one of our worst post-SAF seasons with the really shite goal difference and quite frankly not the worst squad for example LVG had. We are looking at some shambolic seasons by Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs as well to make it even more miserable for us. The two of the teams deservedly sacked their managers but we will be the "nicely managed top team" that gives time and spend 11 seasons without title challenge, struggling for top4 almost every year.

I am not saying to sack him but that the season should be seriously assessed compared to blindly giving him another precious season in our history to spend big funds on shite/average/past-it players from dutch league or dutch team and blamed on players again.

Woziak

He needs at least 3 windows with money before he's judged. January was a joke, he got threw a dud.
He needs two more windows and the opportunity to create a good attacking side that has the right options to score goals but if we don’t see an instant improvement in our goals per game he has to go 49 goals 34 games, seriously awful he won’t his battle with Ronaldo but He might have lost a war if he can’t get top 4

ManUtd1999

Honestly, I’m not a fan of his and not sure that he will make us a much better team than what we are right now. But, I wouldn’t sack him this summer even if we don’t finish in the top 4 (unless someone like Zidane comes).

Trophy Room

He needs time and improvements in the squad. I have seen this team playing really well this season. He’s the man for the job.

L1nk

Its hard not to notice the drop in quality these last months, which is somewhat on ETH for sure.

However… we’ve come to the crucial last stages of the season after a gruelling schedule which has had us play 3 games every 8/9 days for months, we haven’t had a week off between matches for a long time. Our mainstay defense is gone for the season and out squad is so threadbare we keep having to rely on the likes of Weghorst, with key players like…

Rashfords goals dried up
Martial injured for large parts of the season
Sancho going awol for a while and not providing a whole lot on the pitch
Casemiro missing for key games due to his stupid red cards
Garnacho injured for a chunk of game
Eriksen injured for a chunk of games
Having to rely on McFred, Maguire and Lindelof again for multiple games
Anthony hasn’t kicked on yet
Constant DDG howlers like today costing us points

ETH hasn’t helped himself at times that’s for sure, and i’m not trying to absolve all blame from him, but it’s his first season in the league with complete uncertainty around the ownership creating unrest, and we are still on track to finish in the top 4 with a Carling Cup win and the potential for an FA Cup win, granted it’s a long shot but we’ve beat City this season. This is a setback but we just need to win 3 of our last 4 games, 3 of which are at home where we’ve been our best this season

Please have a little perspective and take in the context before we start suggesting stupid things like sacking him just yet.