Should we change captaincy as well?

Flying_Heckfish

It's up to the new manager but Ronaldo really should be the captain based on his standing and standards. I don't really like having forwards as captains personally but he's an obvious choice.

choccy77

New manager has to change Captain.

Fletcher or Carrick won't change it.

But yes, Captain Fred's time is coming.

pjaya

New manager will be like a breath of fresh air for every player. Maguire might rediscover his form. I don't think we should change the captain yet. We know this team is much better than what we've seen in the last few weeks.
No,when he throw is armband is the final straw to me, no captain should throw his armband in disgust whether is red card or anything

Kaos

Ole benched him all season for ronaldo.
He's been injured or unavailable for most the season anyway.

He also can't speak English and will almost definitely leave at the end of the season or perhaps earlier. There is no universe where he becomes Captain.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
The captain cant be the most error prone player on the pitch. Regadless of what Harry says on the training pitch, what he does in the matches matter, and he's responsible for more than a small handful of critical mistakes this season.

Would Bruno be a good captain? I dont know. Cristiano seems like the obvious choice, but he's here for 2 years max, 3 if the stars allign

Hughie77

Yes if the new manager wants to, Maguire IMO should not have had it in the 1st place DDG should have had it. And still may, Keepers have been Captains before and good ones.

If Fletcher is Caretaker Maguire will continue, but needs a kick up his ass

MrSingh2002

Yes.

De Gea, Varane, Pogba, or Ronaldo.

I don't want to see anyone else wearing the armband for now. Everyone else needs to just focus on using whatever ability they have to play well.

If Zidane takes over its probably the only way of seeing Pogba extend his contract. I'm not of the opinion like many on here that Pogba is the issue in our midfield.

Those 4 are the only candidates over Maguire who needs to concentrate on his own game right now.

Oranges038

No,when he throw is armband is the final straw to me, no captain should throw his armband in disgust whether is red card or anything
Especially after how shite he's been, then to do that.

He should be binned off out of the club altogether.

buckooo1978

Maguire isn't captain material. He might have leadership qualities but he's not good enough to play in a title winning team IMO

Djemba-Djemba

Does it even matter? What does a captain even do these days.
It would be a good PR move from whoever the new manager is.

Maguire has been a fecking disgrace this season and it's time he was held accountable for how awful he's been.

Take the armband off him and bench him.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Listen, nobody has done as much as Harry to get Ole fired. Literally the man has been on a one man mission to get him out for the last few months... And now it's finally happened you want to punish him!?

Heathens!

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Bruno as captain? Maybe Ronnie.

Don't see who else would be a good fit. Maguire has lost his head.

pascell

The petulance when he threw the arm band at Bruno after getting sent off pissed me right off, the guy has no class.

He isn't a leader, never has been and never will be and he's usually the one creating the sense of panic with his heavy touches, lapses of concentration and composure.

PoTMS

Was he given the captaincy soley because he's a tank and he plays centre back? Sounds very much like an Ole thing to do. Was the United captaincy the first time he had ever captained a club?

phonicburns

I’m for it. I wonder if Rashford could handle the position? A player like Rio, Vida or Keane are my prototype captains. We just don’t have that player right now unfortunately.

VivaRonaldo85

I think Bruno would be a good leader. Might give him the slap he needs to stop this stupid petulance and let Maguire start concentrating on his football again

Abraxas

What an insignificant point this is within the grand scheme of things.

Considering we have to cross the bridge of appointing a manager, implementing a new tactical structure, implementing a new training regime, possibly appointing new staff, picking these players up..all of which is far more important, we decide to look at the armband wearer.

It really doesn't matter that much. Leaders lead. If we haven't got enough of them in the dressing room then shuffling an armband around is not going to compensate.

led_scholes

Any sensible manager has to ask for Maguire and AWB to be sold. Average players who have not improved a bit and cost a fortune.

KingCavani

Would be throwing Maguire under the bus to strip the captaincy from him. Nowhere for a player to recover from that
If he can’t recover then he’s not cut out for the club.

He needs dropping. That stunt with England was a disgrace. Shows that he’s completely oblivious to the standards required for a club like United. Keane was 100% spot on with everything he said.

Should be a requirement for the new manager to hold these underperforming chancers to account. Ole let them coast and look how that ended.

sdb4884

Maguire has single handedly been responsible for over half the goals conceded during this run easy. Him and AWB shouldn't be playing for us anymore.

minoo-utd

DDG the only one here and Ronaldo of course who won P.L with us before, would love to see one of them as captain. Or Bruno, he is vocal and always gives players instructions how to move or so.

Roboc7

Has to be done he’s not up to the job and next manager might not even play him. He’s never been a leader and may even be happy or relived to have it taken away.

NK86

Who? Ronaldo and Bruno who constantly throw temper tantrums on the field? Pogba, who can’t be arsed most of the time and wants to leave? De Gea who struggles to look after his own form for years now? There are far more things to worry about IMO.
Yeah, Ronaldo would be such a bad choice.

A serial winner, a role-model in how a top athlete should look after himself and in talks of being GOAT. Captains his national team and has won a major honour with them as well.

How could he possibly be a better choice than our current captain marvel, I just don't see it. You're right.

Drz

The new manager should be able to choose whomever he wants. Maguire is in no position to spout at the change.
Personally wouldn't mind CR7, we were always the only club that would give him the arm-band, but given his age the vice-captaincy would have it's importance too.

wise_old_man

OGS all but gone, so does the new manager change captain?

I personally would, Ronaldo seems obvious aswell as Bruno perhaps.
Giving it to Van De Beek would be a massive statement of intent on us wanting to keep him.