Should we consider selling Pogba?

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
If we get 40-50m next summer I'd take it. He's done at this club. He will never be the player we all expected him and wanted him to be. It's a shame as he's very talented but he's got a serious lack of heart and effort in him which has stopped him being a true world class player.

romufc

Knowing how this football club is run, we will give Pogba 375k a week and have the same issues we had with Alexis and are having with DDG and alot of players at the club.

Bayern show how a club should be run, they always know when the time is right to move players on. Bastian, Hummels, Lahm, Robben, Robery and this year Thiago.

Instead of giving these players a 250k plus wage at 29, they let players go and re-invest in the club.

We may not get £90m for Pogba, we could get say £60m - a £30m loss but that is worth it if you say he is going to be on £18m a year for 4 years which is £72m then he will have no sell on value anyway.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
While I concur he hasn't been the guy we thought he was going to be all the time, the guy was let down by the team also. Investment was needed in two windows and we opted not to do so for whatever reason.
That doesn't really explain away absolutely terrible individual performances that happen time and time again.

soapythecat

Pogba won’t be sold. Ed will protect a potential asset. No clubs will be in a position to pay what Ed thinks he’s worth so he will get an extension - just like the rest of those that don’t deserve one.
Pogba has become our Ozil but somehow starts every game when fit.
I honestly can’t remember the last time he effectively had a dominating midfield performance. A couple of Gucci passes every month seems to make him untouchable.
Moat frustrating player in the first team.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Could you all imagine if Pogba runs down his contract for the 2nd time...
Would that be the end of the world? he will be 29 when his contract runs out. Do we really want to give him the massive contract he will want going into his mid 30's? We will have had 6 years out of him and you will probably see an incredibly energised Pogba in his final year as he tries to attract suiters.
So I don't think it would be awful if we let that happen.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Yeah, sell him. Isn’t consistent enough

OleTheGreat

But what you are asking here is for another midfielder to do all the legwork for him and that simply does not work like that in modern football and certainly not for a midfielder. Besides, the differences between a 433 that everyone claims is the system he needs and 4231 that we play are very minor. The difference is that in the latter the most advanced midfielder plays a bit further ahead of the other two, but Bruno does a fair bit of defensive work as well so its not like Pogba and his partner are stranded in there alone.

The problem with Pogba for 90% of the time is that he does not put in a shift, does not commit to duels and seems to completely zone out when on the ball which often leads to incredibly dangerous turnovers in possession. It seems to me like all he wants to do is play attack and does not seem that bothered by the graft that actually is most of the job in midfield. All these explanations about needing other players and another system is daft imo because good players can adapt and its not like we are asking him to play GK or fullback here.

Also, and this may seem very petty, but his celebration in the cup vs Brighton really rubbed me the wrong way. Yeah, it was a nice freekick (deflected though) but thats the kind of celebration you see from players who are running amok and scoring for fun, which is NOT the case with Pogba right now and has not been for a very, very long time
Yes, true. I was kind of disturbed by that celebration as well. It felt very weird but It could also be because he hasn't scored in a long time and that kick started his campaign. I agree with the rest of your theory as well, what do you think is the problem with him then?

Wilt

Catch-22

If we want to sell, he’ll need to play well in order to attract interest and ramp up his value.

But if he plays well, people won’t want to sell him.

It‘s a quandary I tell yer!

Skåre Willoch

I've been firmly in the "no"-camp in regards to selling Pogba since forever, but I'm really starting to doubt that he'll ever be what we need him to be.

I'm not sure we should sell him, but we should definitely listen to offers, and see who we can replace him with. And it's a shame. It's a proper shame. I had high hopes for him, and really, really thought he'll come consistently good for us. But if he can't stay motivated and/or do what is required of him other than 8 games a year, it's time to part ways. And the blame is on him as much as the manager(s) and Woodie. He could've/should've performed a lot better, the manager(s) should've figured out how to properly utilize him, and Woodie should've built the midfield around him in a proper way. All three boxes has failed, and don't seem to be fixed in the near future.

I don't know what we can get for him, or who we should replace him with at all, but let's say €75m and replace him with someone like Camavinga, perhaps?
I'm not saying "do it", but that would certainly be intriguing.
Valverde from Real? Ruben Neves? Martin Ødegaard?

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Idiotic thread. Enough said
He's going to sign a new contract and stay for years. We need to add quality not sell it.
No, Pogba is one of the most complete midfielders in Europe, once an elite DM, and a top left footed CB is next to Maguire it'll allow Pogba to drive forward more.

Pogba is essential.
People watched yesterday's game and came to the conclusion that we should sell Pogba?
Nonsense, no!
He's the least of our worries, so no.
Sure let's sell our best players whilst holding on to a bench that wouldn't look out of place in the Championship
Strange time to post this off the back of a good game where we largely dominated Sevilla's midfield, to the point where they reverted to long balls midway through the second half.
Pogba was sensational last night.
So feck no.
We need to add quality. Not lose quality we have.
Ridiculous thread. You're better than that Pocco.

Clearly he is an integral piece to the puzzle. What we need is an elite Matic 2.0 player. Someone who can play between the lines and allow Pogba to move forward more. That's plain as day to me.
Just a few examples, but I wonder if they all still feel the same or have they opened their eyes.

And this one is just pure comedy. Maybe he needs to look at himself when talking about people with 'no clue....

Too many fans have no clue about the nuances of the game and only understand players who leg it around all game and 'put a shift in'.

Typical mentality of many fans of english football. And why technically gift players often get criminally undervalued in english football.

There's a lot of subtly going on in Pogba's game and he's bloody brilliant.

Foxbatt

Sell him but Ed won't because we paid 80 million for him. I would sell him even for 50 and get someone who can play as a team player.

RoyH1

Sell him but Ed won't because we paid 80 million for him. I would sell him even for 50 and get someone who can play as a team player.
Juventus and Raiola probably going to end up with a low bid for him at the end of the season

Red Daz

I can count on one hand how many games he’s done what we bought him to do , get rid

Negative Red

Most Premier League footballers have fantastic ability but showing it on a consistent basis is what makes a top player. Trotting around like a show pony suggests that Pogba isn't all that bothered. I'm all for selling Pogba but at the same time I'm not confident that we would sign a decent replacement.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Most Premier League footballers have fantastic ability but showing it on a consistent basis is what makes a top player. Trotting around like a show pony suggests that Pogba isn't all that bothered. I'm all for selling Pogba but at the same time I'm not confident that we would sign a decent replacement.
Replace what though? What does Pogba bring that needs to be replaced.
He's not a talisman or a player you can rely on. He is talented sure but he doesnt perform anywhere near the level required for a top team.
he's a passenger at United.

AFC NimbleThumb

Just a few examples, but I wonder if they all still feel the same or have they opened their eyes.

And this one is just pure comedy. Maybe he needs to look at himself when talking about people with 'no clue....
Answer remains the same.

I maintain of all the players we should be actively looking to replace in our first 11 Pogba ranks somewhere in the middle.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Pogba won’t be sold. Ed will protect a potential asset. No clubs will be in a position to pay what Ed thinks he’s worth so he will get an extension - just like the rest of those that don’t deserve one.
Pogba has become our Ozil but somehow starts every game when fit.
I honestly can’t remember the last time he effectively had a dominating midfield performance. A couple of Gucci passes every month seems to make him untouchable.
Moat frustrating player in the first team.
Good analogy. Like you say also, he throws in a few good passes every now and again, like the assist for Rashford against Chelsea last year. But mostly he is poor.

The_Midfielder

While I concur he hasn't been the guy we thought he was going to be all the time, the guy was let down by the team also. Investment was needed in two windows and we opted not to do so for whatever reason.
Well, how did we let him down? He is playing in midfield, so he needs to do his defensive work and improve his defensive skills.... Bruno is better than him at Number 10, VDB might bench him after the Internationals..

Negative Red

Replace what though? What does Pogba bring that needs to be replaced.
He's not a talisman or a player you can rely on. He is talented sure but he doesnt perform anywhere near the level required for a top team.
he's a passenger at United.
I agree but I didn't mean like for like. Pogba is a first team player and whether we think it or not is seen as an integral part of the team. If he is sold I would expect us to buy another midfielder that walks straight into our starting 11. That is what I'm dubious about.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Are there many left that still think we shouldn't?

Tibs

If we sell him, he's going to a move to another big club, but one that is properly set up on the footballing side, and he's going to be brilliant.

romufc

If we sell him, he's going to a move to another big club, but one that is properly set up on the footballing side, and he's going to be brilliant.
We never know. He may do well in Italy where teams don't really press and he has 10 seconds on the ball everytime.

A PL team cannot carry someone in the middle of the park like that.

MattyB1986

What are the stand-out performances you guys will remember if he his sold? I can only remember the City game where there was rumours he was off to City and scored two with a City colour haircut. About it :lol:

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I said earlier that if he moved to PSG, Bayern or back to Juve, he would look good. The main reason being those teams dominate their retrospective leagues and thus there is less pressure on him. Hell, you could put me in them i would look good and i have not kicked a ball in seven years.

Then in the latter stages of the Champions League, he would revert back to being poor again.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Pogba saying it is dream for him to play in Madrid? Well it is dream for me too to see you and your undeserved wages got rid of from Manchester United, Paul. Now, be professional and produce a season you are capable of so that we can get good price for you next summer.

starman

First asked about his future, he said, relayed by RMC Sport: “I’m at Manchester. A lot has been said, but I haven’t. I heard a lot of noise like I was going to leave and that I should go to this or that club. Today, I’m still in Manchester, and I’m fighting to bring the club back to the highest level”.

Then came a question about a contract extension.

He replied: “I prefer to focus on the ball and especially my comeback. I haven’t been told anything. I haven’t spoken with Ed Woodward. We haven’t spoken about a renewal. For now, I’m in Manchester and I’m especially thinking about coming back to the best of my ability.

“I think there will then be a time when the club will come to speak to me and maybe offer me something, or not. For now, nothing has happened. I can’t tell you something I don’t know. I’m thinking about myself, coming back and putting good performances for my club”.

As for the whole Real Madrid/Zinedine Zidane wanting him thing that never appears to go away, Pogba decided not to avoid the question, but answered it in full.

He said: “Zidane? We all heard it, things were said. My reply? Yes, every football player would like to play at Real Madrid. It may be a dream. It’s a dream for me, why not one day. As I said, I’m in Manchester and I love my club. I’m performing in Manchester, I’m enjoying myself and I want to do everything to put the club back where it deserves to be. I’ll give my all, just like my teammates”.
So he talks about him not talking about other clubs or leaving previously (which is a lie) and then proceeds to talk about another club....

And hes performing in Manchester? As what?

soapythecat

In the formation Ole seems to insist on, I think it’s safe to say Pogba is a luxury who just doesn’t perform on a consistent basis.
With him, Bruno, VdB, you could argue that all 3 are playing for one position. Pogba doesn’t suit playing deeper.
I’d rather McT or Fred play alongside Matic (who is the only real defensive CM in my eyes) as we seem to get over run less.
I hope he’s pushing for a move with these comments. We could easy let him go and see no downturn in our midfield output.

RkkMan

Nope. I`d sell, make VDB a starter and use the money for a DM(Camavinga, Ndidi or Rice) replace AWB with an attacking RB(maybe Dalot if he does well at Milan) and we`d be a far more balanced and creative side similar to Liverpool.

hungrywing

Are there many left that still think we shouldn't?
They're all still here. Look about a half page up from your post at where pocco quotes a few of them.

Paul Pogba: "All football players would love to play for Real Madrid. It might be a dream. It's a dream for me, why not someday."

not really doing us any favors here...
Yes, yes he is. (I know you mean in terms of sale price) Come get him, Zidane. Do it.

Pogba saying it is dream for him to play in Madrid? Well it is dream for me too to see you and your undeserved wages got rid of from Manchester United, Paul. Now, be professional and produce a season you are capable of so that we can get good price for you next summer.
Good man.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
If he doesn’t sign a contract within the next couple of months, I’d sell him. He’s a great player but we play him out of position & he has never had a long sustained period of good form. Might as well cash in