Should we consider selling Pogba?

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Should we ask for Arthur in return as part of creative accounting? Poor guy will be used twice against his wish.

arnie_ni

We need him to go on a run of good performances first or we won't get any good value.

Its then up to the manager to decide if thats a purple patch or something he can deliver over a whole season.

clarkydaz

I would absolutely consider selling him if the price was right, I don't think he is any way absolutely integral to our midfield and selling him would allow us to sign players in multiple positions of need, I think as others have said before he is pretty luxury. There aren't many times i've been wowed by his dominance on the pitch, like at all.
id be happy to set that bar very reasonable. We need to start a new chapter. This window has probably decided his future, we wont be near a title challenge for a few years

redmanx

I'm surprised it took this long for the majority of the caf to see this :wenger:

I've been banging on about this for seasons on end and got shut down with "but he's our best player" drivel.
Me too, and Ive taken more than enough stick from the Paul Pogba Fan Club.

Flexdegea

Our only 'world class' player apparently.

Still waiting on the world class player to turn up

ghagua

Our only 'world class' player apparently.

Still waiting on the world class player to turn up
So true.....Lol

Took a lot of heat a few months ago when I said he might not be as good as he thinks he is. World-class players drive their team on. Have not seen much driving by Pogba when he was injury-free and fit.

Won't get a penny over 50 million if we put him up for sale unless we can hoodwink PSG.

Cheekiey

Personally think Saul would be much better suited to playing with Bruno, Donny, fred and Mctominay as a unit than Pogba being shoehorned into this deep lying playmaker role. Bring much more balance, urgency and tenacity which will compliment our group of midfielders.

The_Midfielder

he is defensively bad .. and teams have targeted him .. the only place he can play is number 10 ..
So we need a better player on the midfield .. more mobile.. more defensively strong .. so I think it is time to sell

united for life

he is defensively bad .. and teams have targeted him .. the only place he can play is number 10 ..
So we need a better player on the midfield .. more mobile.. more defensively strong .. so I think it is time to sell
he played as a left sided central midfielder in juventus and also in midfield for france in the world cup. So he can play other than a number 10. but i agree with you, he is slow and recently have been losing the ball a lot when building an attack. From the game donny has played, he seems to be a more mobile player with more creativity.

i don’t feel that losing pogba would hurt the team much, if it will at all.

ReallyUSA

While I concur he hasn't been the guy we thought he was going to be all the time, the guy was let down by the team also. Investment was needed in two windows and we opted not to do so for whatever reason.

eltigreFalcao

In fairness with Pogba, he haas seen it all at our club and he could feel let down a number of times. But it is true: he's not the best fit for United, he's not playing on a consistent and high level. If he's sold I would prioritize getting someone who can actually give us what we expect from Pogba + a Matic replacement, hopefully Fred grows even more into the team.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Well give him a mega contract as soon as he has a run of good form

gorky_utd

We should if he doesn't extend his contract. Otherwise no, I would love to have him in our squad. He is still a top player. If he leaves, Aouar would be a good replacement.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
No way is that possible. He is played in the wrong system and that's probably why he's been failing at United. I know he's still not showing the signs of a player worth around 90 mil but he's a player like Bruno who likes to be part of the attacking midfield in opening up defenses but instead he's played deep by all the managers who have been at this club and Ole. It is sad that we haven't had a decent Defensive midfielder since Carrick who could sit behind the attacking midfielders and clean up effectively behind them. I do not consider Matic anymore because he's lost his pace and quickness he had under Conte in their title winning season. We need somebody like Saul, Rice or Camavinga to allow attacking midfielders to go up and attack the opponent midfielders. Pogba needs to play as an 8 alongside Bruno and as part of the front 5 with a defensive midfielder (6) sticking close and in-between the center halves. Only then will VDB able to swap for either Bruno or Pogba and assume the attacking role. Mctominay can play the DM role for now but he's too young and go out of position and he cannot pick a pass like the above mentioned or Busquets or even Fabinho. We need a center half, defensive midfielder and a proper right winger and only then we will have a decent first XI and then we should go around looking for backups. There is a lot of work ahead and I for one sadly feel that Ole will not be at the wheel for long. I'm a huge fan of his and I want him to resign before the Glazers and Woodward make a case out of it and sack him. Spineless idiots holding this club back from a long time and it's showing and will show immensely this season. Let's not pin this on Pogba along for those who feel Pogba is useless, I think he's been useless too but I don't blame just him.
But what you are asking here is for another midfielder to do all the legwork for him and that simply does not work like that in modern football and certainly not for a midfielder. Besides, the differences between a 433 that everyone claims is the system he needs and 4231 that we play are very minor. The difference is that in the latter the most advanced midfielder plays a bit further ahead of the other two, but Bruno does a fair bit of defensive work as well so its not like Pogba and his partner are stranded in there alone.

The problem with Pogba for 90% of the time is that he does not put in a shift, does not commit to duels and seems to completely zone out when on the ball which often leads to incredibly dangerous turnovers in possession. It seems to me like all he wants to do is play attack and does not seem that bothered by the graft that actually is most of the job in midfield. All these explanations about needing other players and another system is daft imo because good players can adapt and its not like we are asking him to play GK or fullback here.

Also, and this may seem very petty, but his celebration in the cup vs Brighton really rubbed me the wrong way. Yeah, it was a nice freekick (deflected though) but thats the kind of celebration you see from players who are running amok and scoring for fun, which is NOT the case with Pogba right now and has not been for a very, very long time

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
I've been watching Pogba since his Juve days and I've always had this thought about him why does he have to wait long enough on the ball for opposition player to hassle him before he tries to either dribble or pass a ball, from my time as watching great midfielders like Pirlo, Roy Keane, Scholes, Xavi... All this guys played football with the idea of Skipping body contact with opposition players whereas it's almost as if Pogba does wait for the opposition player to get close as to show off body strenght...

I play midfield with my mates, and there's never a time i want anybody to have body contact with me on the ball, an intelligent Midfield player knows this, you always want to release the ball as quick as possible to an attacking player to go do his job but we don't see that enough with Pogba, does flashes here and there that's about it!

It's why i was on the opinion of signing Thiago Alcantara, he's the sort of midfielder who doesn't hang on the ball just cause he technically can. We need someone who would keep us ticking, someone who would send the Foward players message searching passes 8/10 whenever he's on the ball just like how Scholes did for us.

Imo we need to move him on, get someone like De Jong or Saul in ASAP.

Reactions: jojojo

Sveinp

Supports
Too late now im afraid. What club is willing to caugh up say 80 million for him in todays market? And his salary doesnt help. i see PSG as the only option realy but i reckon we are stuck with him. What adisappointment he has been . Capable of the sublime but playing him with Matic and Bruno is lunacy. He doesnt have any defensive awareness and he obviously doesnt like tracking back. And with the utter shitshow we have in the back 4 It needs to be adressed.

Flexdegea

So true.....Lol

Took a lot of heat a few months ago when I said he might not be as good as he thinks he is. World-class players drive their team on. Have not seen much driving by Pogba when he was injury-free and fit.

Won't get a penny over 50 million if we put him up for sale unless we can hoodwink PSG.

Coming up to 5 years at the club, under 2 different managers and we are still hearing about him not getting used properly, or system needs to be built around him.

To be frank it would be horrific if it was built around him as he drifts so much in and out of games, half the time never even in them begin with, so would be madness to build anything around him especially in the most important area of the pitch.

Actually think he lost a slight step as well, he really struggling to get past players the way he used to by using his strength then powering up the pitch.

He been at the club so long now i dont think we are ever going to see the player we thought he be.

I would take the money if we could get it, and try and buy a proper midfielder to play in behind bruno and debeek.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

I agree with those of you saying that Pogba is a big talent, but he never really showed this on a constant basis for us. He needs a stable environment to shine and we won't have this for the next 2-3 years.

So I'd say we should sell him next summer hoping that the Covid situation has cooled down a bit and Juve, Real or PSG are willing to pay 50-70 Mio EUR.
Then let's get a good CDM, a CB and go all in for Sancho.
Maybe try to get a buyer for DdG as well (not saying he is bad and he deserves all credit, but his wages will become a problem I think), get some of the players off the wage bill that won't get us anywhere no matter if we get a fee or not, get a DoF and depending on how this season goes get Poch or Tuchel.

That would be my masterplan.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Personally think Saul would be much better suited to playing with Bruno, Donny, fred and Mctominay as a unit than Pogba being shoehorned into this deep lying playmaker role. Bring much more balance, urgency and tenacity which will compliment our group of midfielders.
Saul is what Mourinho & Ole expect Pogba to become but in reality not the case. He’s perfect for United midfield and probably best candidate to replace Pogba. Unfortunately, I’ll find it hard to believe for Atl Madrid to sell Saúl easily when they were the one who gave him that 9 years contract. Surely it’s because they think of him as long term player who won’t leave the club and the player himself love to be in the club.

Oldyella

Depends on contract negotiations for me. We are obviously in a very different climate now, if hes asking for a big increase I would be tempted to sell, money seems like it will be a challenge for a lot of clubs that arent oil backed for the immediate future. The issue then is how much could we get for him, certainly not as much as a year ago.

But if he renews on sensible terms I would keep him, there is a player there, we just arent seeing it enough. I would start by taking him out for VDB now. Why buy players to compete for his spot if we arent going to use them? Hes obviously not fit so taking him out helps the team and also shows him he needs to up his performance levels if he wants to play.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Oh how the tide has turned on this thread. Guess I wasn't talking rubbish then eh guys?

Sooner he goes the better. Rather have a less talented player who gives his all and covers every blade of grass each week than this fraud who just goes through the motions.

Juve want both Pogba and Demebele so say the media. Good luck with that guys

markhughes

Pogba is a good player but he is not a good fit for us, to me he is still a luxury player who would still look amazing but only if he is part of a dominant team.

The question is can we rely on him week in and week out to deliver? sadly we cannot. Bruno is much better suited to our club and league and we would do better to sell Pogba and bring in a quality midfielder in his place.

Who would realistically buy him though? Perhaps PSG if Mbappe is sold to Real Madrid?

FizzyWomack

I believe we would be better off without Pogba as long as we make a couple of decent signings.

Pogba seems to lack that fire in his belly and imo his heart isn’t in United.

Make a couple of good signings with the money we get for him and I think we are in a better place.

romufc

Oh how the tide has turned on this thread. Guess I wasn't talking rubbish then eh guys?

Sooner he goes the better. Rather have a less talented player who gives his all and covers every blade of grass each week than this fraud who just goes through the motions.

Juve want both Pogba and Demebele so say the media. Good luck with that guys
I must apologise, I got carried away when Pogba was out of the team and again over rated his qualities. It really frustrates me because there is so much he can do.

However; he is always the problem and until we get rid of him, we wont be allowed to build a proper team that is functional. Pogba loses the midfield battle every time.

DanClancy

While I concur he hasn't been the guy we thought he was going to be all the time, the guy was let down by the team also. Investment was needed in two windows and we opted not to do so for whatever reason.
In fairness with Pogba, he haas seen it all at our club and he could feel let down a number of times. But it is true: he's not the best fit for United, he's not playing on a consistent and high level. If he's sold I would prioritize getting someone who can actually give us what we expect from Pogba + a Matic replacement, hopefully Fred grows even more into the team.
Honestly can't believe there are fans that think we should sell Pogba. He's our only truly world-class player(or so i'm told often enough!)
We should if he doesn't extend his contract. Otherwise no, I would love to have him in our squad. He is still a top player. If he leaves, Aouar would be a good replacement.

We paid £90m for him and very rarely he's shown that, some of his performances have been disgraceful; Pogba's defensive side of the game is exceptionally poor, countless incidents in every game.

Relfy

If we can sell him next summer then we should do so, though I imagine he might have to be used as a part of a swap deal (for who I do not know), purely due to the fact I doubt anyone will stump up the cash. Knowing Ed, we'll bang a 5 year 400k contract in front of him and Mino before the summer.....

Judas

Open to offers
I've stood up for Pogba on here for years, but in recent times I've become very apathetic to the whole situation. He's just so inconsistent, in fact the only consistent thing is his inconsistency. I'm sure there will be a period in this season where he's firing again and I couldn't imagine us for a second wanting to let him go, but thats kind of the Pogba cycle.

He's a class player when he's on it, the things he can do, the influence he can have is fantastic, but truth be told, when he's not on it, you'd be better off having someone slightly less talented that gives closer to 100 percent every game.

Stretender

I must apologise, I got carried away when Pogba was out of the team and again over rated his qualities. It really frustrates me because there is so much he can do.

However; he is always the problem and until we get rid of him, we wont be allowed to build a proper team that is functional. Pogba loses the midfield battle every time.
If we had a proper manager , he would not be starting him. His lack of control in midfield is shocking.

Just sell the guy. He has been here for a very long time and people are still expecting him to perform.

Very frustrating situation

Focusmate

Supports
Non League
Been saying a while that as long as he is here we wont be able to fully rebuild. We are in limbo till he is out the door.
No matter what anyone says about his popularity in the dressing room, anyone strolling around clearly not giving 100% over several years whilst openly wanting to leave will undermine the team. You cant get the right mentality while he is here and no doubt it impacts others in the dressing room
And thats before you get on to how good he actually is.

romufc

He's a class player when he's on it, the things he can do, the influence he can have is fantastic, but truth be told, when he's not on it, you'd be better off having someone slightly less talented that gives closer to 100 percent every game.
Agreed, especially when you have Martial, Greenwood, Rashford who are young and will be inconsistent too.

We need a solid midfield with players who will give 8/10 every game and allow the attacking talent to do what they need to do.

Zed 101

It depends, since we got VDB we have an option to give Bruno a rest, if we were talking about swapping Pogba (I don't mean a player swap but 1 in 1 out) for a solid midfielder who is capable of playing a deep role and passing forward then I would say it is a no brainer, the team needs balance, right now it doesn't have balance and one cause of this is playing Pogba and Bruno in the same midfield.

Even when Bruno isn't playing Pogba doesn't occupy the same position, I know both Jose and Ole came under criticism here for playing Pogba too deep, but even when he has been played with more defensive players around him he either strays left or stays back, he may well be brilliant in another team but I am not convinced that we will ever see Pogba turning out 8/10 performances on a regular basis at Utd

Water Melon

A lad that has so much technique and physique, but does lack hell lot of effort. If there is any team out there willling to pay big money, we should sell. Both PP and the club would be happy, I guess. My only concern is that Woody sees Paul as a huge marketing resource and extends his contract, while the player continues to collect his huge weekly wage contributing much less than he potentially could. Alternatively, we may hire a new manager this season, who is able to get the max out of our French midfielder. So far, value for money and expectations, this transfer has been meh, unfortunately.

Castia

I like Pogba. On his day he’s unplayable but those days are few and far between the guy has been living off his reputation for years.

Id be up for selling him, in all honesty even Fred’s put a better season together last year than Pogba has in a while and now we have VDB as well.

dinostar77

Yes for the right price. Get rid of. Too much of a liability and too inconsistent. Doesn't suit our style of football. Maybe slower paced Italian, Spainish football does suit him more. I'd rather VDB started over him everytime.

The club backed Pogba over Mourinho unfortunately and i think Woodward wont sell him as he has a great twitter following or some other rubbish about optics.