Should we give up on Anthony Martial?

UnRational

You may be on to something there...

Feck...what if we just coached Fred to be better too...

And...Lindelöf...the possibilities are endless.

Dare I say it...we could even coach DDG a bit...

We could save millions this way - it's actually staggering that nobody has thought of this before.
:lol: Beat to it more or less what I was going to reply.

OL29

Talking about how much talent and ability Martial has is not that much more relevant than talking about how much talent and ability Ravel Morrison has.

You can spend the next ten years ignoring the evidence and hoping he suddenly changes his entire attitude, or you accept that he doesn't have the desire and work ethic to be the player he could be and you cut your losses.

I spent too many years defending the lad to the hilt - I really thought he was going to be special. But there are only so many times you can be mugged off by someone before you lose faith in them.
That’s ridiculous, you’re comparing a player who’s scored 80 goals for us in 6 seasons, won our player of the year last year along with a few trophies to a player who never made a premier league appearance to us due to events off the field. Come on now .

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Thank you!

Seriously though, I heard today that Marcus Rashford could miss the start of the season due to shoulder surgery. Could this be a final opportunity for Martial to stake a claim to be a long-term Man Utd player of merit?

Furthermore, in these times of massive fixture congestion, because of the quality in the French squad, he is one of few top players to actually get a proper rest this summer. Another reason he might excel at the start of the next season,
Play Martial on the left awhile and I think he'll come alive again. Rashford needs operating on and/or resting, now's the time to do it, give Martial a good long spell there before the January transfer window, and we'll see where we are then :)

diarm

That’s ridiculous, you’re comparing a player who’s scored 80 goals for us in 6 seasons, won our player of the year last year along with a few trophies to a player who never made a premier league appearance to us due to events off the field. Come on now .
I'm comparing two players who have squandered their talent and potential because they didn't want it enough. Obviously Ravel is a more drastic case but for me, Martial is the more frustrating because we've actually seen what he can do in tiny glimpses.

OL29

I'm comparing two players who have squandered their talent and potential because they didn't want it enough. Obviously Ravel is a more drastic case but for me, Martial is the more frustrating because we've actually seen what he can do in tiny glimpses.
I think it’s a lazy comparison, with Ravel it’s easy to see why he hasn’t fulfilled his potential, with Martial I think there’s a lot more to it than him simply not wanting it enough. It’s an easy accusation to make due to his demeanour but I think there’s a number of reasons he hasn’t turned into the player we thought he would.

Raven

Not for me, I think he should be given next season to try and fight his way back into the team. He's amongst the most talented players in our squad and I'm still hopeful he can recapture his best form for us.

daveskimufc

Unfortunately yes. He has had enough chances. He isn’t good enough to start up top. And I’d prefer to see Greenwood getting the minutes cavani can’t play
He is a better left wing option than James, but I’d prefer to see rashford/Amad get those minutes.

DavelinaJolie

There comes a time when you have to admit a player is what he is. Martial, between his moments when he looks class, has a lot of time where he looks sullen, isn't involved in play, and seems to wander around without much impetus. I feel bad for feeling like I've given up on a player that's done what he has in spurts, but we can't keep telling ourselves "He could be this!" When he just doesn't demonstrate it on anywhere near enough a consistent basis.

Widow

Yes, he's had his time and has shown little development.

He's had his good spells but I think it's time we move him on.

His contract is until 2024 right? Does this include an option for an extra year? Either way, we don't want to try and sell with 12 month left or worse still, allow him to run it down.

Sell, sell, sell... Or maybe loan with a purchase clause :lol:

Oranges038

The fact that United will allow a player 6-7 years of first team football to prove themself is a big indicator of why we're shit.

We're not a charity. Top teams don't do this.
Yeap.

Can't believe anyone thinks this waste of space and money deserves any more time at the club.

darst

Should have given up on him a long time ago. Its actually frustrating watching him on one of his many off days and even more frustrating that he continues to be picked. Too much time has been invested , its time to sell and try to raise some much needed funds.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Try playing Messi with players who refuse to pass the ball and he'll look like shit.
Even if we just accept the basic premise here without question (that Martial actually suffers from this), the analogy doesn't work. It's like saying Jimi Hendrix would sound like a shit guitarist if he were backed by a shit drummer and a shit bass player.

He obviously wouldn't.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
6 years man, it's not like we only give him 6 months.

Most players have already defined their career by 26 and he's still on the "maybe next year is his year" cycle.

Rid asap.

If he made it elsewhere, sucks, but /shrug. Attitude stinks, can tolerate youths and their baggage but not even arsed to run that little extra is not a conduct of United player.

diarm

I think it’s a lazy comparison, with Ravel it’s easy to see why he hasn’t fulfilled his potential, with Martial I think there’s a lot more to it than him simply not wanting it enough. It’s an easy accusation to make due to his demeanour but I think there’s a number of reasons he hasn’t turned into the player we thought he would.
It's not just his demeanour though is it? It's his complete lack of work rate on the field, his visible refusal to make runs off the ball and his apparent refusal to work on his shortcomings off the field.

snk123

If I had opinions like yours, I'd be far more careful with how easily I bandied about green smileys.
I know it was an exaggeration - was just making a point.

However you were seriously comparing him to Ravel Morrison who accomplished literally nothing in his career to Martial who was players player of the year a year ago. :lol:

diarm

Even if we just accept the basic premise here without question (that Martial actually suffers from this), the analogy doesn't work. It's like saying Jimi Hendrix would sound like a shit guitarist if he were backed by a shit drummer and a shit bass player.

He obviously wouldn't.
It's absolute spoof. Firstly because Messi's movement off the ball is first class, secondly because we have passers in our team who are able to find Rashford, Greenwood and Cavani just fine, not to mention their international teammates (case in point being Pogba ripping out passes to the French lads picked ahead of Martial in the tournament currently taking place) and thirdly, because Messi is perfectly able to rip teams apart on his own, from a standing start, from deep inside his own half.

diarm

I know it was an exaggeration - was just making a point.

However you were seriously comparing him to Ravel Morrison who accomplished literally nothing in his career to Martial who was players player of the year a year ago. :lol:
What point did you think you were making? It didn't really work for you.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
I feel the desire to bump an old Anderson thread. There were people clinging onto gope even after his loan to Fiorentina.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
If we can get a 60m+ fee then I'd say we should sell. However it probably not the case. With Rashford carrying an injury and with Cavani having an injury list as long as an arm then I'd say we'll better keep him. He'll give us cover/competition for the LW and STK role while giving another year to Elanga, Greenwood and Diallo to grow. If we need to sell someone then that player should be James

meamth

He has stagnated terribly last season.

Confidence level shot, the thought of him as the most clinical and composed has toned down so much, that it has costed us the season.

The question whether he can sort his shit out, is something I would like to believe, but wouldnt mind if he left.

KD6-3.7

Absolutely not. This fanbases obsession of not having more then one good player per position is why our depth sucks.

If Pep can manage to rotate and keep all those midfielders and attackers happy surely if Ole finds out how to rotate properly we can be fine.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
He's the kind of player that'll do well at a smaller club where he's the undisputed starter.

Just doesn't have the mentality to succeed at our club, the sooner everyone involves realises this the better for everyone.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Given he was our POTY just a year ago give him one more season in case last year was an anomaly.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Absolutely not. This fanbases obsession of not having more then one good player per position is why our depth sucks.

If Pep can manage to rotate and keep all those midfielders and attackers happy surely if Ole finds out how to rotate properly we can be fine.
He's inconsistent as hell while being paid like one of the best player in the world.

It's not hard to replace his contribution of almost feck all at a much cheaper price.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Yes. I was one of his biggest fans (even making a video asking if he's world class now :lol:), and after his 23 goal season 2 years ago, thought he would finally make the jump to being world class...but this season he has taken 2 steps back and been terrible.

Yeah I don't see why we shouldn't give him another year to discover the previous years peformances.

edcunited1878

Keep him, yes.

His role will be defined by Ole and it's up to him to embrace it. Plenty of matches for him and work himself back into the fold for United or a different club down the road.

Need quality depth and selling him now at a low point isn't worth it, unless a club stumps up cash or loan + obligation to buy next season.

Cavani leaves after the upcoming season, so then you're looking at another CF. Can use Martial and Greenwood if a suitable CF isn't available for a year.

Nickelodeon

No point in letting him go without signing someone. Adding Sancho gives us depth and removing Martial would put us in the same position with one injury making an opening for Daniel James in the starting XI. Selling Martial right now would make no sense. I’d rather sell him on the back of a purple patch (he will have one) when he would have gained some value. Right now if Martial were another clubs player, we’d be quoted at least 50 million, but we wouldn’t be getting any such offer.

We’ve seen the likes of Lingard rise from the ashes to drive their own value up, let’s give Martial the same chance to do so. Then if we want to sell him off, so be it. But I’d rather keep him this season particularly as he’s one of those who’s had a free summer, has a point to prove, market value is relatively lower than what it should be and was our top scorer just 12 months back.

el3mel

No one told me the fanbase are the ones building the team and selling/buying players.

DickDastardly

What do you mean should we?!

Is there anybody who still hasn't given up on him?
He's a waste of space in the team.
And makes for a bad example of what's needed to be a Manchester United player.

Zero drive to succeed, zero attitude.

Drainy

People saying he should be retained as a squad option are overlooking that he gives the impression that he doesn't have the temperament to play that role.

Every time we sign competition his form declines and he seems to sulk. He should go to a club where he is the main man, similar to Lukaku, and he'll be a lot happier for it and we'll be better off using the funds to sign players who are willing to fulfil their roles in the squad.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
If we get decent money from him, then absolutely. It feels like he does not have the mentality to be a top player - and that you can't teach.

snk123

What point did you think you were making? It didn't really work for you.
The point that we don't play a cohesive attacking system. We rely on individual brilliance. Martial is not suited for that. Martial likes the ball to feet and wants to play intricate football - that's why he plays well with Pogba. Rashford and Greenwood are not the ideal partners for someone like Martial because they are more individualistic players and don't play passing football.

However, your point is just ridiculous no matter how you try to put it. He was our players player of the year and has played really well for us 5/6 seasons. Comparing him to Ravel Morrison is beyond stupid.

cabbs1989

Martial literally scored 25 goals the season before, he had a bad season, no one knew why , it could be something In his personal life, it could be injury related, he’s 25 he’s proven he can do it, people flip flop on players so quickly especially on redcafe, don’t write him off

Maticmaker

Martial is one of the most frustrating (and seemingly self frustrated) players I've ever seen at OT. You know he has it in him, but no one, including himself seems to know how to unlock his obvious talent. Its rare to ever look at Martial's face and think 'he's enjoying himself', talk about playing with a smile on your face, Anthony definitely missed that lesson for sure!

It would seem Martial fancies himself as a CF, but a 34 year old is showing him what is best about that role. Even when selected as the CF, he often drifts out wide, usually to the left, so he can do his 'party piece' which is running directly into the box on the angle, challenging defenders to take him out; but he still spurns running on the outside past the defender and taking the ball on the inside run, and he still prefers it 'to feet'.

Since Anthony is sitting on a lucrative contract with a few years to go, selling him would be difficult, until he can get back into the side and put himself 'in the shop window'. It would seem, at least from a distance, that he needs help to redefine himself and his talents as a footballer, to go back to basics and begin to enjoy playing, because just now and indeed for sometime, its been obvious he doesn't!