g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Should we give up on Anthony Martial?

diarm

The point that we don't play a cohesive attacking system. We rely on individual brilliance. Martial is not suited for that. Martial likes the ball to feet and wants to play intricate football - that's why he plays well with Pogba. Rashford and Greenwood are not the ideal partners for someone like Martial because they are more individualistic players and don't play passing football.

However, your point is just ridiculous no matter how you try to put it. He was our players player of the year and has played really well for us 5/6 seasons. Comparing him to Ravel Morrison is beyond stupid.
Played really well for 5/6 seasons :lol: .

We pass just fine to players who move for the ball. The fact you want us to pass more to a player standing still in poor positions says all we need to hear about the depths of your football wisdom.

snk123

We pass just fine to players who move for the ball. The fact you want us to pass more to a player standing still in poor positions says all we need to hear about the depths of your football wisdom.
Hey no - but comparing a player who's won a few trophies for us, scored 80 goals with someone who's never had a premier league appearance is the real football wisdom. :lol: :lol:

el3mel

Martial has only really 2 good enough seasons for United in these 6 years, the first one and 2019/2020. The rest has ranged from outright bad (like that last season or 2016/2017) to decent but nothing spectacular.

Oldyella

Cavani probably made more runs into space in 6 months than Martial had in 6 years.

stw2022

I think he’s a decent player and arguably second most clinical in front of goal at the club but when you can say that and also probably correctly argue his departure would likely barely be notice it says all you need to know

jamesjimmybyrondean

At his best I think he's a reliable rotational attacker for a title winning team or the top 3 scorers in a top club in Budesliga or Ligue 1. If we want to win the title we need players with his quality on the bench. That said, I wouldn't mind selling him to fund a DM cause it seems we dont have the budget for one

diarm

Hey no - but comparing a player who's won a few trophies for us, scored 80 goals with someone who's never had a premier league appearance is the real football wisdom. :lol: :lol:
I've explained the Morrison point about 6 times at this stage. If you're incapable of reading the context there's nothing more I can do to help you.

Why don't you tell us again how shit Messi would be if he was stuck playing with Rashford and Greenwood.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
I think he’s a decent player and arguably second most clinical in front of goal at the club but when you can say that and also probably correctly argue his departure would likely barely be notice it says all you need to know
This. When he was injured no one really missed him and we started scoring more goals.

SAFMUTD

Give up as in sell him this summer? No. We don't have the depth to afford it, but we should be looking to bring someone to replace Cavani, Martial is not the guy to bet on.

lex talionis

No club will accept his obscene wages, so we’re stuck with Martial unless we offload him on a free transfer. If he can accept being a squad player and put in a meaningful shift when called upon I’d gave no problem keeping him.

But it’s clear as day he’s done with us.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Honestly, I love him as a player but it depends. If we can get 50m+ and are using that to invest in the CB/CDM area, it's a no-brainer.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Why not coach him to be better? Just an idea. If only Man Utd's manager was an ex superb striker, oh hang on....

Also - if only Utd. had one of the worlds' best strikers for movement along the front line (but who is in the twighlight of their career and could act as a mentor) oh - hang on again.

So keep him.
Despite having ole and cavani to learn from he has actually got worse. Some people can't be helped.

MinGin

Yes, his salary is a top class salary, but if you compare him and aged Cavani, he looked like he is not good enough in that position in premier league.
Also, his performance is extremely different when he is good and bad form which cannot bring us to another level.

Tallis

My first reaction was to keep him for another season but the more I think about it, I suspect it’s difficult to have a player on 250K wages per week sit on the bench. Then everyone who is in the first 11 will want to be at that same wage. Can we use a mix of James, Amad and Elanga as rotation options assuming Mason is backup 9? Mason looked pretty good in that Leicester game when he started at 9.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
Actually the gave up on himself I think. Drooped shoulders, sulking and half assed jogs becoming his style too often. When was the last time he misplaced a pass, quickly get up and run down the opponents, or even visibly try to do something like that? Is not like we are asking for him to do a rooney, at least try what alan smith did. Show some hunger. Its seems to me he kinda resigned. Such a drop in standard. Im not sure if his mentality or some other personal issues. I like him but the man need a major bollocking. Sell him? Maybe if the money is good, or else just stay as cover for rashford and cavani. Im sure a senior striker like him would cost a fortune at todays rate.

Dan_F

He's spent 6 years at the club and flattered to deceive for the majority of the time, bar maybe one season where he finished top scorer. He needs replacing as soon as a viable target becomes available. Grealish would be ideal, but unfortunately he looks City bound.
So you want him to be top scorer playing from the left? That was never going to happen under Jose, with Lukaku or Ibra up top.

Signing Sancho on the right gives us another creator, rather than having Rashford, Martial, James who all rely more on pace (although we’ve seen Rashford get better in this regard, before his form really fell off a cliff). This is why I believe Southgate started Saka on the opposite flank to Grealish.

If we can get £40/50 million then we should take it and spend in midfield, but I doubt anyone is dropping that kind of money during COVID, after the season he just had.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Offer him plus money to Spurs for Kane. I think otherwise hes a good squad option unless you can get good money for him

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
What is the plan for Greenwood? Are we going to turn him into a striker? If his future is a striker then there is no point to keep Martial if there is decent offer coming. We can use his wages to give Pogba a new contract and the transfer fee to buy new midfield.

sp_107

spot on, I dont miss him if he leaves. 250K a week, Stealing money.

wolvored

Would someone offer £40-50 mill for him? Hes too inconsistant and cant take criticism and rise above it, it seems. I cant see a regular starting place for him and hes paid too much to sit on the bench.

GBBQ

I think plenty of teams would take a chance on him but not with the wages he’s on. He might go on loan with an obligation to buy but otherwise we’re probably not going to be able to move him on. I’ll choose to see the positives on this and that Martial and Rashford vying for the left side of attack would push both of them to up their consistency or lose out.

Womp

idiot
What is the plan for Greenwood? Are we going to turn him into a striker? If his future is a striker then there is no point to keep Martial if there is decent offer coming. We can use his wages to give Pogba a new contract and the transfer fee to buy new midfield.
Think so. He will rotate between right and up front whilst he grows into his body, but I do think the club sees him as a striker.

Womp

idiot
I do think if he was willing to take a pay cut we would find some clubs interested in his services,

KD6-3.7

No one told me the fanbase are the ones building the team and selling/buying players.
Yes but whenever we do sign a player or look at signing a player majority on here are like ‘but what about that player’.

KD6-3.7

He's inconsistent as hell while being paid like one of the best player in the world.

It's not hard to replace his contribution of almost feck all at a much cheaper price.
Ohh well in that case we may as well sell the majority of our squad because they are all inconsistent while earning large sums of money.

Martial is still our only attacking player besides Cavani who can properly play with his back to goal and link up the play.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Wouldn't mind if we replace him with someone who can fill that striker role. Can fetch us good money as well.

He has had enough chances here. Time to move on.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Play Martial on the left awhile and I think he'll come alive again. Rashford needs operating on and/or resting, now's the time to do it, give Martial a good long spell there before the January transfer window, and we'll see where we are then :)
I'm all for getting rid now but your post has given me a reason for a rethink. When you see it written down it probably is the most obvious solution.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
That makes no sense.
How come?

I was trying to say that unless we get a good offer for him (£50 million +) which provides us the funds to re-invest, then I think he should stay as he still has some quality to offer as part of our squad rotation.

I’m not desperate to see him sold, so I don’t think we should just sell him for the sake of it.

Irrational.

Ask yourselves this: have you seen any improvement in Martial since he exploded onto the scene on his debut? To me he is still much the same player and hasn’t added anything new to his game. In fact, he’s stayed static or regressed a bit.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Yes, it's very apparent his attitude sucks. That became even more noticable with cavani coming in.

Cavani would run none stop for 90 mins. He'd help out defensively and be constantly making runs up front. Then you've got martial who just walks around all game and barely sprint's.

It could be a lingard type situation where a move away is better for everone concerned.

wise_old_man

It pains me to say it because his football in his first season was a delight to watch, but yes I'd sell now.

He's not improved at any aspect of his game and is wildly inconsistent. He's been unfortunate to have come into the club during our worst spell for managers and their ethos of the game. Going from LvG>Jose>Ole has killed him really.
From another perspective, what does it say about Martial that he hasn't performed consistently for any of those 3 managers although they are all in different styles? If all our 3 managers are in the same mound of Jose, then you may say that about Martial.

POF

Technically he’s better than Rashford but Rashford has a better work rate
This is actually true which says it all really. There are probably less than 5 players in the EPL who don't have a better workrate than Rashford.

padzilla

Hipster
He'll score 5 goals in 6 games and then be awful for three months, score another 5 in 6 and continue that cycle.