Should we give up on Anthony Martial?

afatzp

On a side note, Man utd should stop asking Striker to bulk up upper body muscles. Instead all players should focus on building the core. Lukaku and Martial clearly lost their agility since then and last season I even barely saw Martial dribble pass anyone. He has stuck at between, yet evolved to the main post-man while lost his sharpness as LW.
Martial today is a less player than the one arrived on 1st day. If in new season he could not improve after such luxury summer time of recovery , especially knowing the fact that the competition like Sancho / Greenwood have arrived, it would just indicate he does not have the ambition and self-awareness to be the top class player.
To sum up, next season is the last season. No more excuse.

OverratedOpinion

On a side note, Man utd should stop asking Striker to bulk up upper body muscles.
I totally agree with the general point that muscle can actually be a negative for certain types of player but I wonder whether that is actually United's doing if they just enjoy that type of gym work.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
No, I still have some reckless hope. But with Cavani staying I just think there are too many options. Results wise it's best to keep Cavani, but it would have been bold to go with Martial and Greenwood as strikers.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
No, I still have some reckless hope. But with Cavani staying I just think there are too many options. Results wise it's best to keep Cavani, but it would have been bold to go with Martial and Greenwood as strikers.
The way I see it is that Martial has a choice with rapidly diminishing options.
Stay, work hard and fight for your place or go on as he did all last season; look apathetic and hope his agent comes up with a good club to go to. The latter is a door that is rapidly shutting so his best choice is to stay at one of the world's top clubs and try and get his form and place back.

w1thout

He's going to be our main striker for the first few weeks of the season.

With Cavani on a 3weeks vacation after the Copa, Sancho as well and Rashford supposedly having to undergo a surgery, I wouldn't be surprised with a front 3 of Martial, Greenwood and James/Amad for our first few matches, until everyone else come back from their vacations and get up to gear.

So I think we should entertain the idea of martial as a striker a bit longer, as he might be vital for us this season with no striker reinforcement.
But that definitely should be his last chance.

Hauxi

I don't think we should give up on him just yet. We have just signed an incredibly technical player to play alongside him upfront, which I think will benefit him a lot. Martial with the right amount of support could be incredible.

Denis79

I don't think we should give up on him just yet. We have just signed an incredibly technical player to play alongside him upfront, which I think will benefit him a lot. Martial with the right amount of support could be incredible.
Martial can sit on the bench while Cavani supports his wages at the striker position.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
On a side note, Man utd should stop asking Striker to bulk up upper body muscles. Instead all players should focus on building the core. Lukaku and Martial clearly lost their agility since then and last season I even barely saw Martial dribble pass anyone. He has stuck at between, yet evolved to the main post-man while lost his sharpness as LW.
Martial today is a less player than the one arrived on 1st day. If in new season he could not improve after such luxury summer time of recovery , especially knowing the fact that the competition like Sancho / Greenwood have arrived, it would just indicate he does not have the ambition and self-awareness to be the top class player.
That's more on them than the club. Loads of players have built up upper body strength and it has improved their play.

crossy1686

career ending
When have United asked anyone to bulk up? It’s usually the kids who come through (like Rashford and Greenwood) who were asked to bulk up. Lukaku even said it was the Belgium staff that told him to bulk up, and he took it as permission to get fat, and Martial has barely put any weight on the whole time he’s been here.

You can blame the staff all you want regarding Lukaku and Martial getting worse but when players like Shaw, Wan-Bissaka, Fred, Rashford, Bruno and Greenwood have all gotten better the argument just doesn’t hold any weight

Red_toad

Tried that at the start of last season, thankfully we signed Cavani , knowing full well he'd not start until late October at the earliest.
Martial needs to add a lot to his game to cement his place in the team, I'm not sure he has it in him and if he doesn't like the competition, then he could always leave. Competition is healthy for every club.

RiqCantona

One more season. Since he's had a shocker in 20-21, it would be good to give him one last chance. We know what he can do at his best, he just needs to get that consistency right and be more clinical. It would suck if we sell him, only for him to become this unstoppable beast for another club.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
He can be cover for LW and striker while he’s still here. Thankfully we now have a quality first 11 that doesn’t require him being in it. Get him moved on if possible ASAP and get someone with some level of consistency in.

We should be aiming for a higher standard than we’ve got off this guy.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
With the other players missing much of.preseason, I won't be surprised if he starts the season as a starter. Up to him if he keeps his place. If he regains form, I can't see how he won't start.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
With the other players missing much of.preseason, I won't be surprised if he starts the season as a starter. Up to him if he keeps his place. If he regains form, I can't see how he won't start.
It would want to be pretty instant.

SSSSnake

I think Martial’s link up play is far superior to Rashford so I’m interested to see him link up with Sancho who’s excellent in the same respect. We have soooo many forward options and combinations I’m really excited for the coming season.

VanHaal'sRedArmy

Of all our forwards Martial is the odd man out. We already have a backup LW in James who Ole rates more based on his appearances later in the past season.

Matthew84!

Yes, get him out as quickly as possible, I think he's a good player on his day but this season i think James will score more than him and I'm not expecting James to score many.

Paul778

Right now he's an empty shirt in every way possible. He's the antithesis of what we need as no9 and i can't remember the last time he had a good game on the left.

Unfortunately United are playing whack-a-mole improving the team and playing style. It's taking a while. However it's clear now that as the team improves Martial has hit his plateau and he can't cope with the demands

wolvored

Surely the other players should be having a word with Ole about him, if Ole is blind to the fact we have a striker who doesnt score, or do much else. We wouldnt get £30 mill if we tried to sell him now, but we could put the money towards a DM or put it up and hope Haaland has a thing to play for Ole.

Infra-red

Yes, get him out as quickly as possible, I think he's a good player on his day but this season i think James will score more than him and I'm not expecting James to score many.
"As quickly as possible" is not for at least another two/three years.

He has a contract until 2024 and is on £250k per week - there's not a club in world football who will offer him anything close to that in terms of salary. We're stuck with him.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Half of Europe's third rate clubs would be in for him if he didn't have what I assume is astronomical wages. An awful player.

snk123

Three martial threads going on. As ever, the scapegoat and most hated player. I don't remember any Utd player getting so much hate from the fans (and undeservedly at that). He played 60 minutes after ages and was unfit. Nearly scored, barely had any service whatsoever which was evident when he went off.

Just pathetic and toxic.

croadyman

Yeah but won't because our fanbase is too sentimental and the yankee doodles running this club love him

Three martial threads going on. As ever, the scapegoat and most hated player. I don't remember any Utd player getting so much hate from the fans (and undeservedly at that). He played 60 minutes after ages and was unfit. Nearly scored, barely had any service whatsoever which was evident when he went off.

Just pathetic and toxic.
Spot on. Been injured for ages and wasn’t match fit. Was clear to see.

E-mal

I'm his biggest fan but he got to go, try sort out his career in a lesser league and take it from there. He is not up to it with where we need to be.

Mr PG

I’m usually his biggest basher but will give him a pass today… just isn’t match sharp/fit yet but looks like we’ll be getting the martial of last season.

Mr PG

He needs conte as coach… I’m serious if he can do that with Lukaku imagine Martial

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
I’m usually his biggest basher but will give him a pass today… just isn’t match sharp/fit yet but looks like we’ll be getting the martial of last season.
So knowing he’s not sharp or completely fit yet, you think we’ll get the Martial of last season?

Some of you really love jumping to conclusions on this forum considering we’re only 2 games in to the season. :lol:

I mean even I have my doubts with him just like the most of us but I usually like to back my statements up factually.

Anyways looks like this season is his final chance.

Tarrou

Has the ability but not the mentality

Dan James offers more which is a sad state of affairs

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I felt this season was his last opportunity and it hasn't started well at all. He's become such a passive, nothing player. We should give him a bit more as he's returning after awhile but it's looking bad for him (and us). At least you want your CF to make him self available and either get into good positions or be a bit of a threat