Should we take the FA Cup seriously?

Nick7

If we had beaten Southampton, I would be all in for it, yeah. But honestly top 4 is worth more to our club right now.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Bruno, Pogba, Matic, Shaw, AWB, Maguire, Viktor, Martial, Rashford and Even Mason all need rest. So no, who cares about the fecking FA cup. Arsenal won it 3 times it in the last 6 years with no effect on their fecking "winning mentality". They keep being shit as usual the next season. So no play the second team.
Arsenal won the Top 4 trophy more than FA Cup. They keep being shit also.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Rest absolutely everyone. If we somehow manage to see this game out against Palace, we need to wrap them all up in cotton wool until West Ham.

Castia

Id rather 3 points tonight and rest players for West Ham.

Paul_Scholes18

I say just bloody go for it fully with some minor rotations! It is going to go down to the last game anyway so I would rest a few vs West Ham.

RepardReece

I expect to see a second team on the field for the FA Cup. If Bruno is playing against Chelsea on Sunday OGS needs a slap in the face. He needs a rest, we need him to be at his best if we're to breach into the top 4. I'd rather have CL football next season than win the FA Cup.

Not just that but our first team do look tired, we might have a better chance with our second team regardless.

I expect to see a second team on the field for the FA Cup. If Bruno is playing against Chelsea on Sunday OGS needs a slap in the face. He needs a rest, we need him to be at his best if we're to breach into the top 4. I'd rather have CL football next season than win the FA Cup.

Not just that but our first team do look tired, we might have a better chance with our second team regardless.
We should line up something like this in the cup

Romero
AWB Baily Maguire Fosu
McT Fred Pogba
Lingard Igahlo Rashford

DRM

Rest rest rest!!!

CL qualification is far important than the fa cup.

Gazza

There’s simply no rational argument in favor of playing our strongest XI vs Chelsea.

It sucks because of the fixture/rest advantage that Chelsea have and because we should have managed our key players’ minutes better I’m recent weeks, but it is what it is and it would be irresponsible to continue running our players into the ground when the FA Cup is third priority behind the other competitions right now. Ordinarily I’d say let’s go for the silverware but we need CL qualification above all else right now.

kidbob

That game seals it for me, send the second team with a load of youngsters on the bench. Have to remember that Leicester have a whole week off before the final game too.

Man-United

Ole didn't even make more than two subs today so it seem clear to me now that he's gonna rest all the important players on sunday.

DRM

Have a feeling Ole will go with the first team.

MalcolmTucker

Judging by the lack of substitutions we're definitely making wholesale changes for the Chelsea game. Think we'll play on the counter like we did in the first half of the season vs. the top sides. Think only Maguire will start vs. Chelsea from tonight's starting line up. Possibly Martial and Rashford as they are in such great form but I'm sure Ole would have subbed either when we were two up.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Take it seriously when we reach final not when we reach semi now. So just rest players, probably play Greenwood since he was subbed off. Got a feeling Maguire will play, he always play all our games anyway.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Too many in this thread completely forgetting the mentality of a top club to compete for everything and win something. Post Ferguson we’d be suicidal or at the very least jobless like Poch without cup success.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Too many in this thread completely forgetting the mentality of a top club to compete for everything and win something. Post Ferguson we’d be suicidal or at the very least jobless like Poch without cup success.
Fergie played weakened teams in the domestic cups all the time, it wasn't until we reached the final that he started playing our stronger players.

Riz

Rest the majority of the first XI, we have West Ham 3 days later before Leicester on the Sunday (who will have had a week’s rest).

Hopefully we play a West Han team who are safe by that point but even so we’ll want the best side possible to kick off that match.

Maguire and Greenwood are the only ones I’d say should start.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Fergie played weakened teams in the domestic cups all the time, it wasn't until we reached the final that he started playing our stronger players.
Our so-called weakened teams would have competed for the league a lot of the time. Ferguson was a master of building a squad where you could pick a unique XI each week and players would step up and understand their role, leaving you able to compete on all fronts. We’re not back there yet.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
So much of our future depends on getting top 4. It's about finances, even without considering Covid issues, attractiveness to players, keeping ahold of our best players (Pogba) and being there to stop the scousers from dominating.

We cannot afford to be sentimental about this after missing out on top 4 last year after a similarly great run, so just rest our players. Winning the Europa League will give us that trophy Ole so desires and possibly in much easier competition. It's also a nice a backup in case we fail to get it through the conventional means but when our players will be less tired.

The Purley King

Play the 2nd team against Chelsea.
Imagine Bruno starts and does a hammy after 20 mins.
Just rest everyone ole. We don’t mind.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Grant - Romero - Joel
Dalot - Jones - Bailly - Rojo - Borthwick Jackson
TFM - Fred - McT

Play for penalties

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
From their forum:

Do a Jose. Man-mark Fernandes out of the game, congest the space. Rashford is not smart enough to find pockets of space, don't let Martial and Greenwood find any space.

Frustrate Pogba enough that he starts complaining and throws tantrums.

Smash them on the counter with Giroud bullying Lindelof.
They are expecting meat, but getting a fish. Then again, quite a few of them also think it will be B team vs B team.

Think they'll go with a strong team and win, but tight.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Not on semifinal FA Cup. And also Fergie had numerous trophies under his name already.

Kag

A very strong eleven. Shaw or Williams back in at left back if fit; Fred in the midfield for extra legs; give James a run out again and leave Greenwood out for most of the day.

Success breeds success. Honestly, some of you would have us believe the lads are running marathons every day.

AneRu

So much of our future depends on getting top 4. It's about finances, even without considering Covid issues, attractiveness to players, keeping ahold of our best players (Pogba) and being there to stop the scousers from dominating.

We cannot afford to be sentimental about this after missing out on top 4 last year after a similarly great run, so just rest our players. Winning the Europa League will give us that trophy Ole so desires and possibly in much easier competition. It's also a nice a backup in case we fail to get it through the conventional means but when our players will be less tired.
My thoughts exactly, ideally I would like a trophy but top four is more important and our players look tired. Go with a weakened team and play on the counter we can't afford to risk losing key players to injury or fatigue when we are so close.

Logit

Not on semifinal FA Cup. And also Fergie had numerous trophies under his name already.
Starting eleven for the 2009 FA cup semi final against Everton:

Man Utd: Foster, Rafael Da Silva, Ferdinand, Vidic, Fabio Da Silva (Evra 63), Welbeck, Gibson, Anderson, Park (Scholes 67), Tevez, Macheda (Berbatov 91).

Ronaldo and Rooney weren't even on the bench.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

Please reminds me, what players did we get after coming 2nd with Mourinho? What happened to "our future"?

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
The PL has been an absolute disgrace making us play Thursday night and Chelsea on Tuesday. City n Arsenal both played Wednesday so had equal rest time. Irs hardly fair.

Turn the ressies out. Feck the cup off.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Look, I want to win the FA Cup as much as any United fan, but not at the expense of risking burnout to the starting eleven. The league must take priority, surely?

Also, don't forget we have the EL to play for shortly after domestic football is done and dusted. We have a decent chance to win that too.

edcunited1878

Romero; Dalot, Bailly, Maguire (because it's either him or Vic - thank you Jones and Tuanzebe)), Williams; Fred, McTominay; James, Mata; Lingard; Ighalo. That's such an average side, but load up on the bench. This team selection has to be done with an eye towards the league match against West Ham, the last home match of the campaign with David fecking Moyes coming to OT.