Should we try to be more like China going forward?

Classical Mechanic

I'd argue that German/China/Korean/etc are the norm, it's UK / USA that's out of the norm for the past 50 years. Put aside the "but it's china argument", is what the Chinese on COVIDS any different than what the responsible western nation does? Lockdowns/testing/mandatory safety protocols. It's not like they shoot any one outside their house.
Germany is nothing like China. It's a liberal democracy. They have a large and vocal Covid-sceptic faction too. It's a country with heavily devolved power to it's regions. A Berlin court recently overruled central government on Covid restrictions.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-53958428

Covid-scepticism isn't even most pronounced in the UK or the USA, or even Western Europe. Eastern Europe has a number of nations where conspiracy theories about the virus are very widespread.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
If any country follows the corona handbook as rigid as the East Asians results are similiar (see Germany)
Corona policies in Germany were nowhere as rigid as in some Eastern Asian states. And they weren't always as coherent as it may look from the outside.

One of the leading German virologists recently said that measures weren't much different from many other countries, they just were implemented four weeks earlier into the development. Which was partly luck, because the infection wave arrived later than elsewhere. But probably not only luck, when looking at the US & UK, who had a similar head start over, say, Italy.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I’d argue that emulating what China does would mean solving short-term issues with no concern for long-term consequences, especially concerning people’s right to personal freedom.
I hear what you’re saying, but at some point, personal freedoms might not have to be the paramount consideration. We could be on the cusp of an existential crisis that demands a different take on things & that take might mean that some further personal liberties are suspended than they are.

I’m not saying to adopt a Chinese policy in its absolute form, I just see what they & other Asian nations are doing might be more appropriate than lurching from knee jerk response to knee jerk response while the virus continues to spread basically unabated. I don’t see such adoptions of policy occurring any time soon in Western nations, but if the winter turns out to be as bad a some predict & social services / hospitals get completely overwhelmed, increased restriction of personal freedoms might need to be in the cards. We’ve shown pretty starkly that piecemeal efforts & stopgap measures might not be doing the trick.

There’s also a lack of altruism by many out there who potentially could be keeping the virus propagating; it’s this selfishness that needs to be checked a bit in my mind. There is a greater good to consider that I don’t think many people are.

It’s definitely a slippery slope, I hope it doesn’t get to the point when enacting Chinese methods is the only way forward, but I fear that such enacting might be more possible than the virus being contained or eradicated by other means. If we get to that point, certain personal freedoms will be moot.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
I’d argue that emulating what China does would mean solving short-term issues with no concern for long-term consequences, especially concerning people’s right to personal freedom.
Disagree largely, although personal freedom is of course the sacrifice. Look at things like the NHS, every time a new government comes into power from the other party, the NHS funding and policymaking changes to reflect that parties ideology. New schemes are started and then abandoned, staff levels are increased or decreased not based on pure efficiency but on political positioning. It's all wildly inefficient.

It's not only China. Most Asian nations are like that. Actually I think the whole world operates similarly. It's human nature to gravitates towards being lead and told what to do since the dawn of men. Man choose a leader by default, and tends to listen to him, until they stop to. Many countries in Asia still functions with local laws / custom to control the population. Village elder style and village decision style still plays a large part.
Yeah, and the idea that western people don't have the same mindset is delusional really. It was only really halfway through the last century with the shock-waves of several huge wars in succession that a proportion (and still a minority in reality) of people started to rebel against the concept of obedience to the state. Even then all they did was replace leadership by politicians with leadership by whatever public figure ended up appealing to them, which is exactly why we keep hearing musicians, actors and 'influencers' getting asked for and sharing their political opinions. We literally have a situation where the political opinions of Kim Kardashian or Cardi B carry more weight than those of the world's leading economists or healthcare experts.

More and more I'm coming to the inescapable conclusion that democracy in its current form is fundamentally flawed and self destructive. We require absolutely no qualification or knowledge from the people who are then given an equal voice in determining the course of the nation, and as we're seeing more than ever can be propagandized and influenced easily to follow positions based on misinformation and downright lies. Of course then we hit the inevitable Churchill position of 'Indeed it has been said that democracy is the worst form of Government except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time' however we're at a point now where simply tolerating the status quo appears to be leading us into a ruinous place.

Handing power to a small number of people is unacceptable. That power inevitably leads to corruption and abuse, and has in every form of government where it's been tried. Until we get some incorruptible way to determine the best course of action (probably something AI led) all I can see to try at the moment without risking a horrible outcome would be to implement a form of qualified democracy, where everyone has the ability to achieve the right to vote, but that requires some level of study/testing. Even then there's the problem of who determines the criteria, but I see no better way currently.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Germany is nothing like China. It's a liberal democracy. They have a large and vocal Covid-sceptic faction too. It's a country with heavily devolved power to it's regions. A Berlin court recently overruled central government on Covid restrictions.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-53958428

Covid-scepticism isn't even most pronounced in the UK or the USA, or even Western Europe. Eastern Europe has a number of nations where conspiracy theories about the virus are very widespread.
Corona isn't a conspiracy, the more you break the chain of spread the better you fare. It's a fair virus regardless of nation's ideology. I fail to see how a nation's ideology has any bearings on COVID protocols, It doesn't have to be.

The politicians with agenda making it some sort of ideological warfare between freedom or tyranny when it doesn't have to. There's a virus outbreak, let's stay at home and save lives. It's that simple. Koreans/Singaporean/Germany didn't make this political, they just deal with it and the results shows. They're never shy to mandate a lock down because they're not being political, they just go on with the show.

The US are especially fecked up dealing with Corona is not because they value freedom. It's just because they're run by incompetent leaders who decided his action based on his selfish greater goods (reelection, economic, posturing, etc).

Put it this way, if I say "If COVID happened under Obama's term, the US would fare much much much better" would you agree? Same country, same nation, same ideology, different president.

So I never have this notion that the US is doing way worse because of their ideology of freedom but because they have a stupid leader, and sadly a large portion of equally stupid citizen.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Yeah, and the idea that western people don't have the same mindset is delusional really. It was only really halfway through the last century with the shock-waves of several huge wars in succession that a proportion (and still a minority in reality) of people started to rebel against the concept of obedience to the state.
More like from the second half of the 18th century.

georgipep

Easier said than done.

Chinese society - for whatever reason - is better suited to accepting Big Brother-style authoritarianism. It's probably a consequence of the way the cultural revolution was executed.

Countries like Iran have tried to become authoritarian but with much less success. I'm being deliberately glib when I say this, but maybe if they'd been more brutal about re-engineering society, they could have had a better chance.

Which leads to the question of how we might do achieve the same thing over here. We can't even convince everybody to wear masks during a deadly pandemic right now. If you want to change public attitudes that drastically, it'd take an exceptionally bloody revolution.
The Chinese revolution increased standards of living greatly and thus for the average chinese person it is a much easier trade-off. Better life for conceding some freedoms. In Iran (and many other authoritarian regimes) the trade-off is freedoms for nothing. Most times it is a double negative in the sense that with less freedoms you also get less economical benefits because the leaders' aim is not to enrich the economy and create a sustainable environment (which China aims for, too).

Dante

Average bang
The Chinese revolution increased standards of living greatly and thus for the average chinese person it is a much easier trade-off. Better life for conceding some freedoms. In Iran (and many other authoritarian regimes) the trade-off is freedoms for nothing. Most times it is a double negative in the sense that with less freedoms you also get less economical benefits because the leaders' aim is not to enrich the economy and create a sustainable environment (which China aims for, too).
The trade-offs were repaid decades after the revolution. So the concessions were in the absence of any immediate benefits, same as you got in other revolutions all over the developing world.

georgipep

The trade-offs were repaid decades after the revolution. So the concessions were in the absence of any immediate benefits, same as you got in other revolutions all over the developing world.
That's what happens when you build trust into the people's minds. They trust their leaders to be doing the right thing for them (in general) and the nation, and thus are accepting the concession of freedoms.

Smores

This is really just an individualism vs collectivism debate. The bigger the issue the more collectivism is needed but the more polarised politics is the less conformity you'll get and likewise with the more individual freedoms afforded. The mask debate really is the finest example of these unintended consequences.

I've had this very discussion with people i met in China and my conclusion was always that perceptions of government aren't that much different. If anything I think they're just more aware of the power dynamic where as we have an illusion of control whilst ruled by oxbridge/media moguls etc.

Smores

Corona isn't a conspiracy, the more you break the chain of spread the better you fare. It's a fair virus regardless of nation's ideology. I fail to see how a nation's ideology has any bearings on COVID protocols, It doesn't have to be.

The politicians with agenda making it some sort of ideological warfare between freedom or tyranny when it doesn't have to. There's a virus outbreak, let's stay at home and save lives. It's that simple. Koreans/Singaporean/Germany didn't make this political, they just deal with it and the results shows. They're never shy to mandate a lock down because they're not being political, they just go on with the show.

The US are especially fecked up dealing with Corona is not because they value freedom. It's just because they're run by incompetent leaders who decided his action based on his selfish greater goods (reelection, economic, posturing, etc).

Put it this way, if I say "If COVID happened under Obama's term, the US would fare much much much better" would you agree? Same country, same nation, same ideology, different president.

So I never have this notion that the US is doing way worse because of their ideology of freedom but because they have a stupid leader, and sadly a large portion of equally stupid citizen.
If covid happened under Obama the republicans and fox news would still have created division. You'd have had the same arguments but hopefully less impact without the orange one.

It would take the republicans standing united with the democrats and only dissenting in private to remove these factors, which is then getting closer to China who do have some non-party voices feeding in to legislation.

Even then you'd have far right fringe groups still doing their thing. You can't stop them without sacrificing freedoms because only censorship beats it.

Cait Sith

You can't just "emulate" a culture. If Chinese authorities say: "You don't leave your house", not a single person leaves their house and that's it. If in the West politicians say: "Please wear a mask for 20 minutes while going for groceries", people mass-protest against Bill Gates implanting microchips into people and their freedom being taken away.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
This is an interesting question because it’s similar to what non-Western peoples spent a lot of time asking themselves during the 19th and early 20th centuries with regard to the West. With the great difference I suppose being that while they were concerned with freeing themselves from Western dominance, you are suggesting adopting a supposedly uniquely Chinese approach to problem-solving on a global scale.
Interesting observation, including the difference you noted. Maybe a closer comparison would then be the sentiment inside the societies of the Warsaw Pact, about 10 years from their demise. Which I understand more as a reflection of the failures of their own societies than realistic expectations about a post-system-change future. (The same goes for any current appeal of Chinese authoritarianism, really.)

Not that such a sentiment is very strong by now, more of an ideological undercurrent. Today's successful authoritarian ideologies are distinctly homegrown.
There are obviously certain policies and approaches to global problems that we (speaking as a Western European) should be looking at and seeing how best to adapt to our own situations. The question for us is (as it was for the non-Westerners of a century ago) how far can we go without losing touch with who we are and the forces/traditions upon which our common identities are built? To actually become “like the Chinese” would require unburdening ourselves of our history to a degree that would seem to me to require violent upheaval on a revolutionary scale.
I don't think that's a realistic possibility anyway. Any Western authoritarianism of the future will be a genuinely Western one. (*) A look at 20th century history shows why intact identity wouldn't be much of a remedy in such a scenario.

-----------
(*) By which I don't mean "Western" in the post-WW2 sense. Rather that it will be the outcome of local conditions and draw from the respective pool of traditions.

Last edited:

jeff_goldblum

The one thing you can say for single-party states is that the sweeping powers and unconditional consistency of governance and ideology guaranteed by authoritarianism allows for a degree of long-term economic planning which is difficult to achieve in a democracy (especially one with a FPTP electoral system).

For me it's not worth the trade-offs, but there are still lessons to be learned. In the UK we should be aiming towards a political culture which incentivizes long-term thinking, but given the sorts of people who dominate our politics that seems unlikely. There are various institutional changes that would steer us in that direction, but all have downsides to go along with the benefits and none would solve the problem entirely.

Foxbatt

China is not a one man dictatorship. It's a meritocracy. There is not much difference to other countries in that the public have no control over the people in power.
In the USA and UK and other countries it's the same. You just change the name of the party. Same policies of invading and interfering in other countries.
Yes you can shout for all you care in the USA and UK and other countries and you won't be arrested. But the Chinese are dictatorial in that way. They do however criticise the government as per but don't do it on a personal level.
There is not much personal freedom if it affects the general public. But certainly it's now probably the most advanced country in the world for public service.
They have pulled out a lot of their citizens out of poverty.
I wonder how many of you have been to China and seen for yourself the difference in everything between the western countries and China in their development?
Then you may be able to make a better opinion after seeing it with your own eyes.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
They've also announced ambitious (for a country with so much of the world's manufacturing) carbon targets. If they suceed it will be monumental.

Illiberal capitalism, strong nationalism, minority opression, tech-driven surveillance, an extreme work culture - many countries are heading to that model in many ways already (but probably without the govt capacity that they showed during the pandemic).
Quotng my own post, but -
which political formation or interest groups want all this? You can point to so many that want all the initial things I listed - the political formations currently ruling or leading in polls for much of the western world (Trump, Lega, Tories, etc) would qualify. But they also are the low tax/low regulation/low interference type. How would a massive state apparatus + nationalised key industry arise from that? For the groups that want the state capacity (the remnants of Bernie's campaign and Corbyn's labour, basically irrelevant people), they are uniformly opposed to things in the former.

So I just don't see the combination happening. There's a path to all of the illiberalism with none of the state capacity, but just having more surveillance won't contain a pandemic if you can't also build a hospital in days or test millions in a week. There's no solution to global warming if you are basically a corporate front masquerading as a party.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
For the people here who know a bit about Chinese history - I understand the common argument that China is a relatively collectivist society with strong traditions of deference to authority and broad social cohesion/solidarity. While I’m happy to accept that there is probably a large degree of truth in that, I’m not sure to what degree it can be used to explain China. I’m just wondering how it squares with those seemingly regular interludes in Chinese history when everything seems to break down and descend into complete chaos and civil violence? What are the common explanations for this apparent discrepancy?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
For the people here who know a bit about Chinese history - I understand the common argument that China is a relatively collectivist society with strong traditions of deference to authority and broad social cohesion/solidarity. While I’m happy to accept that there is probably a large degree of truth in that, I’m not sure to what degree it can be used to explain China. I’m just wondering how it squares with those seemingly regular interludes in Chinese history when everything seems to break down and descend into complete chaos and civil violence? What are the common explanations for this apparent discrepancy?
They're just humans, like humans everywhere else in the world. They're ruled by a leader (either via fates, monarch, judges, warlords etc). They're never rebelling about being controlled / led but they will rebel if their leader treats them like shit. England is a monarch, they're never rebelling against the king, they're only rebelling against a bad king. If you treat them well, they'll obey and pay taxes. If you dont at one point they'll rise and revolt.

Practically all over the world it's like that, empire rise empire falls. Invaders comes, rebellion oust thems, repeat

Which is why there's no amount of western narratives can drives the Chinese PRC into collapse (for the time being, for the foreseeable future), because the PRC are doing a good job and the Chinese are collectively very happy. If the Chinese aren't happy with their leader, they're more than capable of ousting them themselves. NO amount of dictatorship can suppress her citizen forever, history has shown that it's just not possible. Even in the past where the punishment for rebellion is hung drawn and quartered in UK, ling chi in China, Crucifixion and flaying in Rome, nothing stops an unhappy subjects from rising into rebellion. The Chinese rise to prominence in the last 20 years are also coupled with the rise of Chinese intellectuals, if you visited the big cities almost everyone understand basic English, the collar workers are probably adept in English, they traveled the world as tourist, enjoying the good life, they surf the internet and still they have no problem with their government. It's not like they don't know what's its like in the western world.

Skeezix

It is a marathon. One thing for sure is that they are doing very well economically.

But this is a regime that is so authoritative, secretive. And in the long run, I won't be surprised when the skeletons come out of the closet (as it did for the Soviets in the 1960's 70's about what happened in the 1940's-60's)

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
The premise relies on information coming out of China being honest and reliable.
It certainly helps, but I'm not sure it relies on it. There was speculation long before the pandemic that a collectivist society under authoritarian leadership would respond to a crisis like this more effectively, and questions about whether that also maps onto some other existential threats on the horizon. The evidence so far just adds a bit of meat to that discussion, but of course there's good reason to question the data.

What about the video evidence of everyday life in China contrasted against the West, though? Even if the economic recover is much weaker, or the virus is spreading in many more places, don't you think there is a lot of evidence that things in China are closer to (their) normality?

Lj82

I'm not even sure that is the reason for success. Hong Kongers hate their government, but followed the instructions because they made sense.

Actually the real gold standard is Taiwan. The Taiwanese aren't exactly obedient citizens by large. But again, they followed the instructions because they made sense.

I have been really dumbfounded by the politicisation of wearing masks in the west. How does that infringe on personal freedom? We are so used to wearing it for the last half a year. It clearly works. Mind you, it's hot and humid every single day here in the tropics, but people just get on with it because, well, it makes sense.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
It certainly helps, but I'm not sure it relies on it. There was speculation long before the pandemic that a collectivist society under authoritarian leadership would respond to a crisis like this more effectively, and questions about whether that also maps onto some other existential threats on the horizon. The evidence so far just adds a bit of meat to that discussion, but of course there's good reason to question the data.

What about the video evidence of everyday life in China contrasted against the West, though? Even if the economic recover is much weaker, or the virus is spreading in many more places, don't you think there is a lot of evidence that things in China are closer to (their) normality?
It's possible, but remember this is an very authoritarian state. They could just as well create the perception of normality as part of a propaganda campaign.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
It's possible, but remember this is an very authoritarian state. They could just as well create the perception of normality as part of a propaganda campaign.
too big, too many foreigners and foreign journalists living there, too much communication and trade outside. this isnt DPRK or even 70s USSR. they can cover up, say, an industrial accident or slower-than-expected growth, but not create a "perception of normality." the video in the OP has many thousands of people.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
too big, too many foreigners and foreign journalists living there, too much communication and trade outside. this isnt DPRK or even 70s USSR. they can cover up, say, an industrial accident or slower-than-expected growth, but not create a "perception of normality." the video in the OP has many thousands of people.
"Wuhan is probably the safest place"

"It's a hero city"

Sounds genuine to me. ;)

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
"Wuhan is probably the safest place"

"It's a hero city"

Sounds genuine to me. ;)
Yes? Those are probably the terms used in the media. The reference to how much he is helping the economy by spending on hotels and street food in Wuhan is also the obsession of the media - every holiday is reported as YoY changes in shopping, hotel, and travel expenditure. I know some people (far from Wuhan) who went through (and disliked) weeks of very strict lockdown and are now back to their usual work. Even in the covid thread here people whose families/friends are in China have posted about it.

Foxbatt

How many of you have visited China after they became a capitalist county with Chinese style?
It's absolute lunacy to even think they could hide a public issue like this for such a long time.
As another said too many foreigners and too many reporters and diplomats around the place.
You can use VPN and also roaming to access internet and make international calls from China.
There is no political freedom no freedom of speech but multi millions of Chinese go out of the country every year and multi millions come back. It's a lot more like Singapore than USSR. In China you are allowed to do any business you want to do.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Regarding their succes against the pandemic I think it's important to remember that the authorities also repressed the doctors who warned against the virus at a very early stage. If they had listened and not stayed true to the oppressive regime we might have avoided this mess. I would challenge the assumption that they were better prepared, they utterly failed to react in a rational manner in my opinion.
Most of this seems pretty misinformed. There was little the Chinese could have done to "warn us" faster. Their "repression" of doctors is a very dubious thing. The most noteworthy case certainly wasn't repressed in the way most people in the west think. He was essentially a poorly-informed whistleblower rushing ahead. Not wise in public health emergencies, whether they're happening in China or Liberalandia. You really want to know what you're talking about before you go public. Told to quiet down by some local bureaucrat, returned to work and died as free as any chinese can be.

The Chinese Government went public on this by the 31st of December. A week or two before that, doctors from Hubei were still reuniting to discuss those "new pneumonia" cases on clinical terms and bronchoalveolar lavage samples were being studied by microbiologists and geneticists.

WHO was officially involved a couple of days later (unofficially, almost certainly from the start).

By mid January all the information western nations needed to act was already there. Deadly, too late to contain, person-to-person transmission, long incubation period.

On the other hand...

Portugal was one of the countries that dealt better with the pandemic and yet our health authorities were saying in early february that the virus "wouldn't arrive here" - to my dismay.

Now throw in a couple of Pattrick Vallances, Borises and Trumps in there - all people who would have been non-entities in a situation like this in China... And you see where I'm getting at.

Covid couldn't have started at a better place. Anywhere else and it would have been far worse.

We were slow to listen. They weren't slow to tell us. That was western propaganda at it's best (yes, we suffer from it too. What other choice would they have other than open themselves to rightfully being accused of criminal negligence).

Probably the most objective evidence of an actual delay in China was the time they took to decide the lockdown in Wuhan. When you think about the magnitude of the decision and the ammount of thought needed it amounts to nothing, 6 days, from when information was enough to see that as a reasonable choice. Now compare that to how long the Italians bled until they did the same.

What was Britain doing against this on, say, March 10th?

Tl;dr. Chinese couldn't have warned us faster. Even if they hypothethycally did, it wouldn't have helped us. The bottleneck of idocy on the Covid pandemic timeline was elsewhere.

Last edited:

Arruda

Supports
Porto
the main reason they controlled the pandemic is because they have near totalitarian control over their people
That was a contribution, but my guess is that a far bigger reason is that in Covid control it's more important to act soon than to act strong. They did both. Countries who just did the former also did quite well.

Charlie Foley

“If Men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary. In framing a government which is to be administered by men over men, the great difficulty lies in this: you must first enable the government to control the governed; and the next place, oblige it to control itself.”

Arruda

Supports
Porto
I wrote that crap before reading the FT article on the other thread, which explains it awesomely.

The kudos for me is that I've been obsessed with this from the start. Probably half my posts on the Covid thread are about that angle.

Tarrou

That was a contribution, but my guess is that a far bigger reason is that in Covid control it's more important to act soon than to act strong. They did both. Countries who just did the former also did quite well.
As the first country to get it they may have acted fairly quickly, but they still reached a case load more akin to a slow acting country like the UK (10s of thousands in the early months)

It's much better for everyone to act sooner, for sure, but the data suggests acting strong was more impactful in China's case

No other country has gone from having tens of thousands of cases to virtually none in such a short space of time

Even the countries that acted much sooner like South Korea have not been able to flatten the curve to the extent that China has

(assuming the China data is accurate, and I expect that it must be fairly indicative otherwise we'd have more conflicting reports coming out by now)

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
“If Men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary. In framing a government which is to be administered by men over men, the great difficulty lies in this: you must first enable the government to control the governed; and the next place, oblige it to control itself.”
Hear, hear! You've got a unique viewpoint with your UK background (I think) living in the states as an officer of the court. Curious what your views are on US govt and constitution.

InfiniteBoredom

Lack of resources/Wealth gap etc.

Chinese society was highly rigid and codified for hundreds if not more than a thousand years pre-Qin unification, and the idea that your lot in life is determined since birth was ingrained in their mentality. This changed with this this guy called Chen Sheng, who lead the rebellion that would prove to be beginning of the end of the Qin dynasty, he was a common labourer in state service who incited his colleague to rebel against the draconian rule, saying ‘王侯將相寧有種乎’ (King, marquis, ministers and generals are not born thus). The founder of the Han dynasty who succeeded the Qin, Liu Bang, was himself a commoner, and to put the genie back into the bottle so that every Tom, Dick and Harry who fancied it wouldn’t rebel at will, they developed this concept called ‘tian Ming’ or the Mandate of Heaven, the idea that the winner of civil strifes won because he was bequeathed with authority to rule from celestial forces, legitimising his rule (Divine Right, so to speak, emperor in Chinese is called tianzi - son of heaven). This then is combined with a very rigid legalist framework with Confucian values over it, promoting obedience/deference to authority, elders and public figures of importance (anything to keep the peasants in line), failure to conform is met with social ostracism and often legal repercussions. That’s it for a very crude, rudimentary introduction of their (traditional, dynastic) value system.

Next we have economic issues. Ancient Chinese LOVED land and slaves, the more the merrier. Everyone’s goal in life was to get rich, buy a lot of land and slaves and pass it down to your offsprings. This accepted social mantra leads to a very negative consequence: wealth hoarding. Over generations, you have these super clans who dominate social life and politics at lower administrative levels, and they often compromised the administrative officials sent by imperial court to bend the rules to their will, drive common people into bankruptcy, annexing their land, making them homeless or enslaved. Long term, this means you have a lot of refugees roaming the land, creating public disorder, banditry and instability, and also massively reduce the state coffers since the households previously served as tax base have been turned into landless vagabonds or ‘hidden’ population, decreasing the state capacity to carry out public work projects, respond to natural disasters, keep a standing army to answer foreign threats. As a result, every few hundred years, when this conflict reached a boiling point, often accompanied or accelerated by a series of natural disasters leading to crop failures and plagues, a new Chen Sheng rose up, everything devolved into absolute pandemonium, heaps of people died, then someone won, re-established order, carried out land reform, adopted the same Legalist/Confucian ruling philosophy, and the cycle is renewed.

I'm not even sure that is the reason for success. Hong Kongers hate their government, but followed the instructions because they made sense.

Actually the real gold standard is Taiwan. The Taiwanese aren't exactly obedient citizens by large. But again, they followed the instructions because they made sense.

I have been really dumbfounded by the politicisation of wearing masks in the west. How does that infringe on personal freedom? We are so used to wearing it for the last half a year. It clearly works. Mind you, it's hot and humid every single day here in the tropics, but people just get on with it because, well, it makes sense.
They do hate their government, but it's bred into them to follow rules. They hate the people in power but they still defer to the institution of government. It's a totally different mindset to the West, the US and UK in particular. I could never see the West being able to do what they do.