Should Wenger be sacked?

Should Arsenal sack Wenger

• Total voters

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
I'll probably end up regretting writing this, but for me all teams in the knockout stages of the CL had a better European campaign than any EL team, including the winners. This is because in the CL group stages, the best teams progress into the knockout stages, and the 3rd placed teams are demoted to the EL. So for me, it is a lower competition just like the Championship is a lower competition to the PL. Claiming the EL winners had a better campaign than teams who got knocked out in the latter stages of the CL is like saying Newcastle had a better domestic campaign than for example Swansea.

With this in mind my personal valuation would be this:

1. Chelsea:
Fantastic domestic league campaign, Great/Decent domestic cup campaign (depending on FA Cup), but were not in Europe
Won the PL convincingly and might win the double. Don't think this is debatable.

2. Spurs /Manchester City:

Manchester City:
Decent league campaign, acceptable domestic cup campaign and decent European campaign.
They managed to be one of the best 16 teams in Europe, and lost in a competitive game against Monaco who eventually reached the semi finals. An overall okay season despite not really impressing in any competition.

Spurs:
Good league campaign, acceptable domestic cup campaign and bad European campaign.
Played well in the Premier league although they ultimately fell short, lost in the cups to top 6 competition, but completely failed in Europe.

Who had the second best season between Spurs and Man City depend on whether you value CL or the league imo.

4. Manchester United
Bad domestic league campaign, great domestic cup campaign and decent European campaign.
Won the LC, and also the EL (which makes you imo the 17th most successful team in Europe this season). Two good cup runs in lesser cup competitions that successfully mask over bad league campaign.

5. Liverpool
Acceptable domestic league campaign and bad domestic campaign.
Liverpool just about managed to sneak into the top 4, and got CL places, but failed to impress in 2017 and got knocked out by lower level teams in the cup. Just about saved the season by qualifying for CL.

6. Arsenal.
Bad league campaign, decent/good domestic cup campaign and decent European campaign.
The only English team who isn't qualified for the CL. And even if they win the FA cup I'd say they have had the worst season, even though they managed to qualify for the last 16 in the CL.

There, hate me all you want. :)

PS: I understand that you may value different competitions differently than I do, and I'm happy to discuss that. For me this question is purely down to valuation of the EL v CL.
Probably needs updating

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Wenger: “It was an outstanding performance from the first minute onwards. This team has suffered, united, and responded. I said last week this team will win the championship with one or two good buys, and keep them together. They showed strength and we played spectacular football today to win the game. I am very proud [to win seven FA Cups] because you see the fight you need even to win one. I am proud of doing two things that have never been done: to win a championship without losing a game, and to win seven FA Cups. It is not easy, believe me. We have a board meeting on Tuesday, and all will be clear on Wednesday or Thursday.”

Djemba-Djemba

Obviously he should now leave on a high.

He's never going to win another League Title and he's never going to get near the Champions League trophy so this is the best possible end for him.

He won't though. He'll almost certainly take today as a sign they're not too far away and he'll sign that contract.

Peanut Butter

Just watched the interview on BT Sport and have changed my mind. He is going. He sounds to me like he has been fed up with things behind the scenes - maybe I am reading too much into it but I think he feels like his time at Arse has come to an end.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
Wenger: “It was an outstanding performance from the first minute onwards. This team has suffered, united, and responded. I said last week this team will win the championship with one or two good buys, and keep them together. They showed strength and we played spectacular football today to win the game. I am very proud [to win seven FA Cups] because you see the fight you need even to win one. I am proud of doing two things that have never been done: to win a championship without losing a game, and to win seven FA Cups. It is not easy, believe me. We have a board meeting on Tuesday, and all will be clear on Wednesday or Thursday.”
Omg, at the beginning it was funny seeing him failing and being all deluded but now is starting to piss me off. Lifting a trophy should bring joy to the fans but the thought of Wenger remaining and stagnating the team for, yet, another season overwhelms the joy from the victory.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Omg, at the beginning it was funny seeing him failing and being all deluded but now is starting to piss me off. Lifting a trophy should bring joy to the fans but the thought of Wenger remaining and stagnating the team for, yet, another season overwhelms the joy from the victory.
Stagnating the team? did you watch the game? That didnt look like a stagnant team to me. He has now won the FA cup 7 times, more than any other manager.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
Stagnating the team? did you watch the game? That didnt look like a stagnant team to me. He has now won the FA cup 7 times, more than any other manager.
Yeah, and I also watched some games along the season and the games that have left a bigger impression is being absolutely trashed by Bayern. I mean it's nice to win this thing rather than losing it but the vast majority of people would value more the league campaign and international tournaments, this is like a nice bonus but it's not good enough to save face after so many years of stagnation and getting trashed in Europe.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Yeah, and I also watched some games along the season and the games that have left a bigger impression is being absolutely trashed by Bayern. I mean it's nice to win this thing rather than losing it but the vast majority of people would value more the league campaign and international tournaments, this is like a nice bonus but it's not good enough to save face after so many years of stagnation and getting trashed in Europe.
I am betting Arsenal decline even more once Wenger goes.

EvilIrwin

Just watched the interview on BT Sport and have changed my mind. He is going. He sounds to me like he has been fed up with things behind the scenes - maybe I am reading too much into it but I think he feels like his time at Arse has come to an end.
Nah he's going for one more round, one more FA Cup to be the undisputed king, Europa Cup to continue the English dominance and the icing on the cake, 4th spot.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

Okay this is getting creepy now ffs.

Alabaster Codify7

All dem fookin' contracts!

All dem fookin' extensions!

To be fair, the FA Cup is a big deal and they played out their skins today....but that in itself is a problem.

It's like a guy you work with who is on the cusp of being fired, raises his game and sorts it out......then reverts to being a slacker once he knows the pressure is off.

Arsene, and Arsenal, are that guy. They show up when they truly need to, and then retreat into their shells - it's the mark of a team and manager who is happy with 'doing just enough',

And long may this continue!

darioterios

I'll probably end up regretting writing this, but for me all teams in the knockout stages of the CL had a better European campaign than any EL team, including the winners. This is because in the CL group stages, the best teams progress into the knockout stages, and the 3rd placed teams are demoted to the EL. So for me, it is a lower competition just like the Championship is a lower competition to the PL. Claiming the EL winners had a better campaign than teams who got knocked out in the latter stages of the CL is like saying Newcastle had a better domestic campaign than for example Swansea.

With this in mind my personal valuation would be this:

1. Chelsea:
Fantastic domestic league campaign, Great/Decent domestic cup campaign (depending on FA Cup), but were not in Europe
Won the PL convincingly and might win the double. Don't think this is debatable.

2. Spurs /Manchester City:

Manchester City:
Decent league campaign, acceptable domestic cup campaign and decent European campaign.
They managed to be one of the best 16 teams in Europe, and lost in a competitive game against Monaco who eventually reached the semi finals. An overall okay season despite not really impressing in any competition.

Spurs:
Good league campaign, acceptable domestic cup campaign and bad European campaign.
Played well in the Premier league although they ultimately fell short, lost in the cups to top 6 competition, but completely failed in Europe.

Who had the second best season between Spurs and Man City depend on whether you value CL or the league imo.

4. Manchester United
Bad domestic league campaign, great domestic cup campaign and decent European campaign.
Won the LC, and also the EL (which makes you imo the 17th most successful team in Europe this season). Two good cup runs in lesser cup competitions that successfully mask over bad league campaign.

5. Liverpool
Acceptable domestic league campaign and bad domestic campaign.
Liverpool just about managed to sneak into the top 4, and got CL places, but failed to impress in 2017 and got knocked out by lower level teams in the cup. Just about saved the season by qualifying for CL.

6. Arsenal.
Bad league campaign, decent/good domestic cup campaign and decent European campaign.
The only English team who isn't qualified for the CL. And even if they win the FA cup I'd say they have had the worst season, even though they managed to qualify for the last 16 in the CL.

There, hate me all you want. :)

PS: I understand that you may value different competitions differently than I do, and I'm happy to discuss that. For me this question is purely down to valuation of the EL v CL.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_facts

I wonder about your assessment if the two team's seasons were swapped

R'hllor

Wenger and Arsenal board are like bunch of politicians,waiting better days so the sheeps can swallow signing a new contract easier.

engulfing

It'll be hilarious if he signs his new deal and sanchez and ozil don't extend and they have to sell them this summer.

Cloud7

Nice. One less team to compete with next season. It's gonna be a dark day for us when Wenger eventually leaves. With the right manager, and especially someone who doesn't believe in Wenger's ridiculous wage system, Arsenal can be a real threat. Long live Arsene I say.

Oscar.Z.Acosta

I really want Wenger to turn rogue and start gunning down those Arsenal Fan TV imbeciles one by one.

Then buy some more lightweight, highly technical midfielders to mock those idiots a little more.

spwd

It'll be hilarious if he signs his new deal and sanchez and ozil don't extend and they have to sell them this summer.
If he signs and at least one of them (probably Sanchez) doesn't leave I'd be fecking gobsmacked