Shoutout to Ed Woodward and all the accountants and financial nerds at United

TsuWave

Imagine waking up to reports United are panhandling and asking players to take pay cuts so they can register a semi competitive first team. Mon Dieu

The peace of mind of having elite bean counters. Never have I been so happy that my club are revenue merchants.

Barca might have to open an onlyfans or gofundme. Maybe even start buying their kits from Bury New Road.

anyway, being an elite financial institution is underrated. It’s all about the Benjamin’s baby.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Don't think this thread will go down well, but I agree. We seem very competent in the financial sector.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Barcelona are in that state because they played football manager in real life. Manchester United sit on a mountain of debt because our owners bought us despite not being able to afford us. They saddled their own debt on the club Now OT's roof is leaking and we're not winning trophies. Despite all our owners are one of the very few owners in football still taking dividends.

FujiVice

Because everything is so black and white. Its either majorly successful or handing out food vouchers.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
thank you, glazers. the best off the pitch, unfortunately the lads don’t translate that into being the best on the pitch.

Andersons Dietician

Ed is going to join Barca and save them, just you watch. Losing Messi will mean nothing once they bring in the big man. Stick him up top, hand him an abacus or calculator then watch him work his magic. Be rolling in sponsers in no time.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Somewhere in the middle is best. They’ve been way more successful than us. Few shite years? We’ve probably already gone through much worse football than they will ever have to. They just need to get back to the academy and signing younger players for a few years and they’ll be back.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Barcelona are in that state because they played football manager in real life. Manchester United sit on a mountain of debt because our owners bought us despite not being able to afford us. They saddled their own debt on the club Now OT's roof is leaking and we're not winning trophies. Despite all our owners are one of the very few owners in football still taking dividends.
That's how high-finance works. Debt works within some parameters.

NotQuiteManc

Don't forget that no non-playing staff was laid off/let go (unless I missed the news), unlike some club :angel:

devilish

fair enough but don't tell me to applaud this system or the people who had placed us in this mess. They took a club who was perfectly run and had barely any debt at all and they saddled it with a mountain of debt. Now we can barely afford repairing the roof.

The Original

fair enough but don't tell me to applaud this system or the people who had placed us in this mess. They took a club who was perfectly run and had barely any debt at all and they saddled it with a mountain of debt. Now we can barely afford repairing the roof.
As the thread's about Ed and the guys he works with under him, not the Glazers, I'd say the points you raise give more credence to the idea that he's done a great job.

Despite the mountain of debt, this club still operates like a financial behemoth and that is remarkable.

marktan

£1 billion + in servicing the debt and payments to the Glazers. Thanks, lads.

Fluctuation0161

Yes, let's compare our club to one in disarray so we feel better about the shitty ownership situation.

I've heard City fans do this in attempts to justify their dodgy owners. It in no way justifies the Glazer ownership or City's blood money. It just means, "it could be worse". But that is not enough and not a reason to celebrate.

lilcurt

This is more due to the healthy state and appeal of the league. Are any Premier League clubs struggling, I don't really think so.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
We're doing better financially than the worst run club in football. High praise!

Ekeke

Not only not in trouble, but signing everyone's wet dream from last summer and a CB who was the wet dream 3 or 4 years ago seemingly without needing to sell any of our expensive players

clarkydaz

Lets not forget negotiating the Sancho deal he actually interrupted his holiday, to make sure last years deal got done. While on holiday, when we need to sign players. Absolute diamond

OL29

Imagine waking up to reports United are panhandling and asking players to take pay cuts so they can register a semi competitive first team. Mon Dieu

The peace of mind of having elite bean counters. Never have I been so happy that my club are revenue merchants.

Barca might have to open an onlyfans or gofundme. Maybe even start buying their kits from Bury New Road.

anyway, being an elite financial institution is underrated. It’s all about the Benjamin’s baby.
:lol:

devilish

This isn’t remotely true. It needs doing, but that doesn’t mean we can “barely afford” doing it.
If we could afford it then we would have done it long ago

Number32

High-finance? Or Financial privilage?

Just imagine if the Galzers were just businessmen from 3rd world country. They wouldn't had a chance.

flappyjay

Yes, let's compare our club to one in disarray so we feel better about the shitty ownership situation.

I've heard City fans do this in attempts to justify their dodgy owners. It in no way justifies the Glazer ownership or City's blood money. It just means, "it could be worse". But that is not enough and not a reason to celebrate.
Can't you separate the lads in accounting from the glazers. It's not their fault what the glazers did. If the financial department had done a bad job the glazers would have been quick to bring the hammer down. Fred the red would be gone

meamth

Or perhaps our club is fortunate enough to be in the PL where its global viewership status kept its club income alive? Even during the pandemic, the TV money is what making the English club the biggest spenders now.

Nobody watches La liga in my country except for occasional real madrid and Barca matches.

Deery

Dreary
Haven’t they wasted millions on dud transfers and hundreds of thousands of pounds worth of contracts to players that don’t deserve it?

Maybe they’re actually doing a shit job as well just keeping the boat afloat when it could be so much better..

Lebo

This is what I was thinking. Man is a financial genius. Premier league clubs like Arsenal, Liverpool even tried to cut down staff during lockdowns.

Deery

Dreary
This is what I was thinking. Man is a financial genius. Premier league clubs like Arsenal, Liverpool even tried to cut down staff during lockdowns.
Funny you mentioned Arsenal they let go of their dragon thing and had to have a go fund me to keep him at the club, only to go out and blow £80m odd this summer on transfers.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
We were the worlds richest club before the Glazers took over because of the tremendous effort by SAF who made us a global brand. United sells itself so any half competente bean counter would have us in the position we're in now. Who knows where a fully competent one would have us? Eds incompetence in running the football club to boost his ego has been far more a hindrance than a help to the club so any praise towards the man is bewildering TBH.