Singing Section One Step Closer

hp88

That doesn't address the issue of what happens when one grumpy git complains to a steward that he can't see because the guy in front is standing, though does it? Either the steward has to tell people to sit down, or he ignores the complaint and the old git escalates things himself.

I think they'd take option A there, given the position they take in other circumstances.
I don't think we had any issues at the Real Sociedad game, there was a mixture of supporters and no one complained about standing up. Like Stretty I think stewards were told to let is stand.

Liam147

On Probation
"The singing section last time, wasn't that great a success.
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Silly man.

Standing will absolutely not be an issue. If you're too short to see over someone, that's a shame; you won't stand up. They've said that in the future they'd plan on organising it so the kids would be at the front. When you're all stood up though you'd have to be very short not to be able to see. Stopping people from standing because one person can't see would defeat the entire purpose of the section. It's an absolute non-issue.

Sir A1ex

Standing will absolutely not be an issue.
Still think this is a little over-confident. It sounds from the letter like there are some folk who a) don't like the singing section and b) are going to dig their heels in to remain in their seat in J / K. They can easily make standing an issue if they so chose.
The last the the Singing Section needs at this early stage is to be dragged into controversy by a handful of grumpy old gits.

Liam147

On Probation
Still think this is a little over-confident. It sounds from the letter like there are some folk who a) don't like the singing section and b) are going to dig their heels in to remain in their seat in J / K. They can easily make standing an issue if they so chose.
The last the the Singing Section needs at this early stage is to be dragged into controversy by a handful of grumpy old gits.
I can tell you now that there are people who don't like the singing section, but they aren't people who were in it. No one in it last time will be thinking "Yeah, was alright."

Loads of people will dig their heels in to stay put, and that's a massive shame, but for the atmosphere to progress it needs to happen.

Sir A1ex

I can tell you now that there are people who don't like the singing section, but they aren't people who were in it. No one in it last time will be thinking "Yeah, was alright."
I'm not talking about last time. In L, everybody was there because they wanted to be. In J/K there may well be people there purely out of stubborness.

I'm not arguing against the plan at all, I'm all in favour. I just think people should try and look out for potential risks rather than presuming everything will continue to go perfectly.

Liam147

On Probation
I'm not talking about last time. In L, everybody was there because they wanted to be. In J/K there may well be people there purely out of stubborness.
Yeah, that's true and it'd be a massive shame like I've already said. Maybe SEF could've done a better job of handling the situation. Though I reckon that a lot of J/K standers will be deliberately omitted. Not sure how random this ballot will be.

hp88

I'm not arguing against the plan at all, I'm all in favour. I just think people should try and look out for potential risks rather than presuming everything will continue to go perfectly.
Yeah, I think that will be case but I doubt any one will care if you can't see because the person in front of you is standing up. The club know that the SS has to be standing for it to work which is why they will turn blind eye to it.

I can understand why some of the ST holders are pissed off especially the older ones, they can't sing anymore and probably don't have the legs to stand up for 90 minutes which is why they will have to move.

Sir A1ex

The club know that the SS has to be standing for it to work which is why they will turn blind eye to it.
This is where I think some people are getting a bit too drawn into the idea that the club are 100% behind this whole thing. There are certainly people in the club who are open to it and have given it tentative backing so far, but make no mistake, there are still large elements of the club who don't give a shit for creating a decent atmosphere and are more concerned with enforcing the letter of the rules and regulations. Play into their hands and the whole thing could quickly go down the pan.

Backrow Singer

Yeah, that's true and it'd be a massive shame like I've already said. Maybe SEF could've done a better job of handling the situation. Though I reckon that a lot of J/K standers will be deliberately omitted. Not sure how random this ballot will be.
Lets see how things progress first. Obviously there are exceptions, but the common feeling amongst those being asked to move is that they will do so if the atmosphere assists the team. We need to make sure it happens.

Sure people will complain about a few other issues that could be on the horizon, but we'll see how it goes.

hp88

Ticket office are taking applications over the phone, priority given to those who tried it for the Sociedad game.

Crono

This is where I think some people are getting a bit too drawn into the idea that the club are 100% behind this whole thing. There are certainly people in the club who are open to it and have given it tentative backing so far, but make no mistake, there are still large elements of the club who don't give a shit for creating a decent atmosphere and are more concerned with enforcing the letter of the rules and regulations. Play into their hands and the whole thing could quickly go down the pan.
I think your concerns are justified mate, and I am also really eager for this to work permanently, but what can we really do about previously mentioned complaining, stubborn cnuts? I think it's just going to be down to chance whether they cause a fuss or not, and if some of them do, the fans representatives will have to try and work some compromise out after the trial.

For what can be done pre-emptively, one obvious failure was not offering first-choice for the section to J-Standers. That's created a completely unnecessary problem of creating complaints by annoying the people the section ought to have in it.

hp88

For what can be done pre-emptively, one obvious failure was not offering first-choice for the section to J-Standers. That's created a completely unnecessary problem of creating complaints by annoying the people the section ought to have in it.
Yeah club seemed to have screwed up here, improving the atmosphere is important but so is looking after your regulars. Who ever controls the SEF twitter account isn't making things better, that person needs a lesson in PR.

Backrow Singer

Yeah club seemed to have screwed up here, improving the atmosphere is important but so is looking after your regulars. Who ever controls the SEF twitter account isn't making things better, that person needs a lesson in PR.
There's been some sort of common ground found. They are happy to take a back seat as long as the effects help the team. Both areas need to be given an equal trial, so you can see why it is what it is.

I'm looking forward to it, and it couldn't have come at a better time. Again though, as obvious as it may sound, those of us involved need to make it as vocal as possible.

hp88

Not as vocal as the Sociedad game. Regulars around me didn't seem interested which is why it needs to be set up in a area that isn't occupied by existing ST holders, some of them had no intention of joining in but still held onto their seat, can't blame them for doing that though.