Singing Section One Step Closer

Drifter

American
Manchester United supporters are on the threshold of winning their long-standing campaign for a dedicated singing section at Old Trafford, giving them the chance to deny visiting fans the chance to taunt them with Sir Alex Ferguson’s complaint after a match four years ago that “the crowd were dead; it was like a funeral.”

Fans’ demands for a singing section to lift the decibel levels have coincided with the club relocating away supporters to tier three of the Sir Alex Ferguson Stand, for last Sunday’s match with Aston Villa. Discussions will take place with Greater Manchester Police over the next two weeks to establish whether the new away fan arrangements, first trialled against Valencia in December 2010, have met safety standards in terms of segregation, coach parking and other logistical issues. If police and the local council are satisfied with the relocation of visitors – introduced because the south east quadrant provided minimal segregation potential and exposed United to hundreds of empty seats from visiting clubs who could not fill them - an area of 1,400, 1,900 or 2,500 season ticket holders will occupy the new singing section. The area will be renamed the Scoreboard Paddock for that purpose by the beginning of next season.

The section would also be located underneath the MUTV studios, where the presence of away fans has always forced producers to keep shutters across during games, to avoid them imposing themselves on live broadcasts. The new noise levels may be a challenge to Lou Macari, Viv Anderson and others, but at present images of fans from elsewhere are superimposed to create the backdrop.

A new supporters' consortium, Fans United, has also persuaded the club that fans should be allowed to dress the area of the ground as they see fit and to reclaim the Scoreboard Paddock name which in the days before the all-seater Old Trafford, was a by-word for noise. It will not be an area for non-season ticket holders. The idea is not that the singing section should become part of the Old Trafford tourist attraction but one where the decibel count will match that at some of United’s great European nights – or indeed the Darwen End at Ewood Park, where noise levels of 7,000 fans was very high during United’s 2-0 win earlier this month.

Visiting supporters have enjoyed capitalizing on the chance to taunt United fans with Sir Alex Ferguson’s words after the 1-0 win over Birmingham City on New Year’s Day 2008. Vocal fans’ common complaint is that the acoustics in the second tier of the Stretford End, where many of them sit, are not ideal. Nor is the distance from the pitch.

Some United fans are not in favour of shifting away fans, who in the case of Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Stoke City and – before relegation – Hull City, contribute hugely to the atmosphere. But Fulham attracted a mere 320 fans on March 26 and even Newcastle United failed to sell their allocation this season. In European competitions, visiting clubs must give seven days notice of the allocation sold but no such rule applies in the Premier League, which has left United with empty seats and the financial hit. There will be no pricing premium in a new singing section – with the £38 charge for the equivalent north east corner applicable to the corresponding singing section.

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/s...ld-trafford-16146596.html?r=RSS#ixzz1sOP0eps2

Starkie_1

Affluent and Likeminded
Still sceptical about this, but love the choice of 'Scoreboard Paddock'. That end will always be the scoreboard end anyway, but that is bringing back a bit of character to the ground.

Sir A1ex

Interesting stuff... certainly based on very admirable aims, but it does leave a few questions:

1. Who will be the brave ones to "take the plunge" and leave the Stretty?

2. What of those who remain in the Stretty? If 2,500 move, that's getting on for half of Tier 2... will the Stretty then become watered down, or will we end up with noise coming form both ends?

3. What about the poor sods in North tier 2 when Liverpool come to visit? Will umbrellas be handed out FoC?

Sir A1ex

Still sceptical about this, but love the choice of 'Scoreboard Paddock'. That end will always be the scoreboard end anyway, but that is bringing back a bit of character to the ground.
A paddock, to me, should mean terracing. Maybe they are looking to a future with safe standing (gradient of SE Quad lends itself where WT2 does not)... or is that just wishful thinking?

Liam147

On Probation
I wasn't there on Sunday, but I noticed the atmosphere seemed better than usual, although I'd attribute that to the stage of the season more than anything else. And when I did hear the Villa fans they did sound quite distant as opposed to clearly outsinging the home fans (which I still think is a bit of a misconception).

Fans in the East stand say it's a bad thing as they'd partake in the banter with the away fans, generating a bit of an atmosphere in itself. I can't speak on their behalf having never been there, but surely having a singing section so close to them would mean the atmosphere spreads through the East stand?

The obvious problem will be the division of fans. People won't leave the Stretty through tradition, scepticism etc, meaning you could get a bit of a dilution of noise. Or perhaps we'll just end up with two singing sections, who knows?

I think if it catches on properly, so that's the fans there are essentially like the away support (standing and singing all game), it'll work really well. I think it depends a lot on how open the fans are to the change.

Sir A1ex

the East stand say it's a bad thing as they'd partake in the banter with the away fans, generating a bit of an atmosphere in itself.
From my experience of the East Stand, that "banter" doesn't really go much byond flicking the Vs at them and pointing and laughing when we score.
The singing in there (other than J /K stand) is sporadic at best.

Starkie_1

Affluent and Likeminded
From my experience of the East Stand, that "banter" doesn't really go much byond flicking the Vs at them and pointing and laughing when we score.
The singing in there (other than J /K stand) is sporadic at best.
K Stand can be brilliant for some of the bigger games and the derby, but for your average game its shite. QPR for example, everyone seated for the majority.

kps88

Main priority should be to ensure it doesn't take anything away from the Stretty.

AARRONB06

The stewards need to be told to cut back on the sitting down of fans. Its pathetic, that's one of the reasons for the piss poor atmosphere! Who wants to sing and clap sat down? You feel like a clown. I have sat in Stret Tier 2 for about 8 years until I moved over here too Sydney, and its miles better than anywhere else due to the fact the stewards just leave you alone and let you stand up. I never sat in my seat once when I owned it, couldn't tell you what the view was like, I just pushed in with the lads.

K Stand Knut

Has anyone registered their interest in moving to this singing section?

I've just put my ST details on the United website as I am sick of the weekly, piss poor atmosphere currently on offer most weeks in the K Stand! Willing to give this move a go for a year and see if it improves, otherwise, I can see myself fecking off my ST as it is just not worth it anymore.

http://www.manutd.com/singingsection for anyone interested

Robin

Yep - I'm up for the move! Although I only sit about 10 rows away from where this will be anyway
You will be ok where you are mate, you have good seats on the aisle, and the singing section will just spread all the way along K stand I bet.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
You will be ok where you are mate, you have good seats on the aisle, and the singing section will just spread all the way along K stand I bet.
I hope so, the return of the K Stand Barmy Army :devil:

I am in 2 minds about whether to move or not as my seats are decent and so close anyway, but the opportunity to relocate with a few people I know seems too good to turn down.

The talk is that that they will be in the third tier of the North Stand. Was trialled against Villa so guess it is a case of watching this space now! Pleased to see the club willing to discuss though
I didn't hear if the same is being done against Swansea or if it was just a one off trial. Either way I think it makes sense to move them up there and give the better seats to United fans.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
I signed up for it anyways. Would love to be apart of it, North Stand is as dead as anything. Good to see the club colaborating with the fans atleast.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
So if they're moved up there, I'm guessing they'll be a bit harder to hear. That also might depend where the mics are placed if you're watching it on the tele
They'll also take up the 50quid seats!! I'd say with the shape of the roof, it will echo some bit anyways.

Liam147

On Probation
They'll also take up the 50quid seats!! I'd say with the shape of the roof, it will echo some bit anyways.
The NT3 seats are amongst the cheapest there. SE Quad isn't much more expensive, making it a viable option, but when I was watching the Villa game, I noticed the away fans seemed noticeably more distant, which is good for the idiots who like to say that we're constantly outsung by away fans. It'll be interesting to see how it comes on, will the Stretty be diluted? Will there be two noisy sections of the stadium? Time will tell I guess.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
A reminder to all current season ticket holders to who are interested in the move to the reborn Scoreboard Paddock to fill your details here:
http://www.manutd.com/singingsection

You may have already sent an email a few months ago confirming your support (see this thread: https://www.redcafe.net/f6/opportunity-improve-atmosphere-old-trafford-350992/) but you still need to do this as well as it is now the club confirming numbers.

Note that this does not commit you to moving, it just shows the club that enough people are interested in the idea - you can renew your ST as usual and will then be contacted by the club to confirm if you want to go ahead with the move when all the details are confirmed.

Sylar

Was in the North Stand on Sunday. Holy crap, a lot of miserable sods or people just sitting there with no movement / emotion anything. Its really said.

A few of us tried to sing, but its difficult when nobody else wants to. Then the cnuts left with 10 minutes left cursing the team for being to shite to win by more goals. :s

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Isn't the Stretford End an area for singing already?
Yes it has been and that doesnt need to change either - Tier 2 in particular was promoted as the area for singing a few years back. However, the acoustics up there are terrible as the sound gets trapped by the roof - so if you are up there then you get a good atmosphere but it does not travel to the rest of the stadium at all.

The area being vacated by the Away Fans has much better acoustics which is why they can often be heard on TV and around the ground - so hopefully from that corner the noise can spread and get other parts of the crowd going. The ideal scenario would be to get areas of good atmosphere at both ends of the ground.

kps88

Yes it has been and that doesnt need to change either - Tier 2 in particular was promoted as the area for singing a few years back. However, the acoustics up there are terrible as the sound gets trapped by the roof - so if you are up there then you get a good atmosphere but it does not travel to the rest of the stadium at all.

The area being vacated by the Away Fans has much better acoustics which is why they can often be heard on TV and around the ground - so hopefully from that corner the noise can spread and get other parts of the crowd going. The ideal scenario would be to get areas of good atmosphere at both ends of the ground.
Wouldn't that just sound all messed up though? Will they sync up? Worst case scenario - you have the Stretty and the East both starting up songs at the same time and it sounds garbled.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Wouldn't that just sound all messed up though? Will they sync up? Worst case scenario - you have the Stretty and the East both starting up songs at the same time and it sounds garbled.
I don't care if it sounds shit on TV.

If it's loud in the ground who gives a feck :confused:

It aint the X factor.

kps88

I don't care if it sounds shit on TV.

If it's loud in the ground who gives a feck :confused:

It aint the X factor.
Wasn't talking about TV. If all you want is volume why bother singing songs? Everyone should just shout as loud as they can.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Wasn't talking about TV. If all you want is volume why bother singing songs? Everyone should just shout as loud as they can.
Without sounding pompous, have you been too many games where different parts of the ground are singing?

It works itself out...

It's getting the fecknig noise in the first place that is normally the problem!

Liam147

On Probation
Actually whenever I've been in the Stretty (usually somewhere in the middle) I've noticed different songs coming from both sides. Eventually one does catch on. It was the same at Blackburn away, there were songs coming from all over, and although eventually the songs catch on, I can't see it happening across the ground. I never hear the away fans singing, but when I watch the game on TV after they've been as loud as ever. Personally I think it'll create a better MD atmosphere (as long as enough fans stay in the Stretty to keep it noisy, and enough go to the Scoreboard Paddock to make it noisy), and you'll hear more noise from the TV.

Just my two cents anyway.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
No noise at all south upper and lower
I think it's agreed by most that the South Stand is the place for alot of OAP ST holders, corporates and daytrippers alike.

No harm in having a part of the ground like that. Just wish we could make it more lively elsewhere.

kps88

Without sounding pompous, have you been too many games where different parts of the ground are singing?

It works itself out...

It's getting the fecknig noise in the first place that is normally the problem!
Nope I haven't. Those games probably only come up once every 4-5 years at OT. I was at ST2 for 2 seasons and I only experienced an atmosphere like that once.

I'll take your word for it that it works itself out though.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I dont think you can expect the whole ground to sing in sync anymore as sound doesn't carry from one end to the other - it did happen when we were a smaller more intimate stadium with c45k capacity, but now Old Trafford is too big and too open for that to happen.

When I said that the ideal scenario is for a good atmosphere at both ends of the ground, I meant independently rather than in unison.

I think it's agreed by most that the South Stand is the place for alot of OAP ST holders, corporates and daytrippers alike.

No harm in having a part of the ground like that. Just wish we could make it more lively elsewhere.
Exactly, and that is exactly what this new idea aims for - to try and group a lot of the like minded people into one area.

A bump for this:

A reminder to all current season ticket holders to who are interested in the move to the reborn Scoreboard Paddock to fill your details here:
http://www.manutd.com/singingsection

You may have already sent an email a few months ago confirming your support (see this thread: https://www.redcafe.net/f6/opportunity-improve-atmosphere-old-trafford-350992/) but you still need to do this as well as it is now the club confirming numbers.

Note that this does not commit you to moving, it just shows the club that enough people are interested in the idea - you can renew your ST as usual and will then be contacted by the club to confirm if you want to go ahead with the move when all the details are confirmed.

Robin

I think the singing section will re awaken K stand and it will be a good thing, I started off in the old Stretty as a kid then as I got older I went to the Scoreboard paddock and eventually the Stretford paddock, and all these sections were in competition with each other and the atmosphere was brilliant even though the football was pretty dire, I for one welcome the attempt to improve it,

Hans Moleman

Singing section on hold

Manchester United is disappointed to announce that, due to a delay in satisfying the requirements of the evaluation of the movement of away fans from the SE quadrant to Tier 3 of the Sir Alex Ferguson Stand, it is not possible to implement the fans' proposed singing section for the 2012/13 season.

The Club has been asked for some further detailed analysis to allow them to form a definitive view on the proposals.

Unfortunately there is not the time for the Club to do that work, conduct a ST renewal process, submit the proposals for approval and potentially implement the section for the start of next season.

Work has already begun to address the issues raised and the Club hopes to be in a position to make a further announcement at the start of next season.

The Club will keep dialogue going on this matter but thanks the fans for their patience.

Affected Season Tickets holders can now renew their seat by visiting www.manutd.com/renew or calling 0161 868 8000.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereve...ster-united-singing-section-plans-put-on-hold

Manchester United have been forced to put a proposed fans’ singing section on hold until 2013-14.

Supporters had put the idea to the club in March, with the intention of improving the Old Trafford atmosphere by having a section of seats where the more vocal fans could be together close to the pitch.
United agreed and over 1,300 season ticket holders had signed up to move to the proposed section including terrace songster Pete Boyle and Mani from the Stone Roses. That number was set to surpass the initial target set by the club who were prepared to allocate up to 2,500 seats for the area hitherto given to away fans.

The vocal Reds expected to be in the new section by the start of the new season, with United hoping that away fans could be moved to Tier 3 of the Sir Alex Ferguson Stand, subject to agreement with Trafford Council and the Police. United had successfully trialled that idea when Aston Villa fans sat in Tier 3 for the recent league game. However follow a report received by United on Wednesday, the plans have been put back.

“The Club has been asked for some further detailed analysis,” said a United spokesman. “Unfortunately there is not the time for the Club to do that work, conduct a ST (season ticket) renewal process, submit the proposals for approval and potentially implement the section for the start of next season.”
“Work has already begun to address the issues raised and the Club hopes to be in a position to make a further announcement at the start of next season. “The Club will keep dialogue going on this matter but thanks the fans for their patience.”

Fans were disappointed.
"I'm really unhappy about this especially after losing the league on Sunday," said Pete Boyle. "We're led to believe this will be a delay of one year. "It's far from ideal, but we have to be patient and realise the club want this to work as much as the fans."
==================================

A kick in the teeth for those who were looking forward to the change next season, still all the groundwork has been done so hopefully it will just be a 1 season delay.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Ya, a shame that. As mentioned one more year wont hurt too much, and plans will be set up properly atleast.