Singing Section One Step Closer

TheReligion

Abusive
How annoying as it is a great idea and one which would do OT the world of good.

At least the plans haven't been scrapped. Not quite sure why it is taking so long to sort out but lets hope when it is everything will come together perfectly.

Hurry up!

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
How annoying as it is a great idea and one which would do OT the world of good.

At least the plans haven't been scrapped. Not quite sure why it is taking so long to sort out but lets hope when it is everything will come together perfectly.

Hurry up!
Well maybe you can find out more?
It seems to be questions from the council and police about moving the away fans to T3 that has held everything up.

99 red balloons

Way to improve atmosphere at Old Trafford. Put the away fans next to the Stretty - put family stand where away fans are now. Done.

kf

Think we need to look on the positive side of this. It's disappointing it won't happen next season but it seems clear the club have accepted the idea in principal and they just need to convince Trafford and the cops that the new away section in the Sir Alex Ferguson stand can be safely stewarded. They've only tried it once with Villa and to be fair there's never any bother with them. I think this is going to happen eventually

Sir A1ex

Still don't see why the away fans need to be moved up into the gods, and how that can benefit the atmosphere.

Why not move the family stand up there? I'd have loved being that high up when I was a kid!

ralphie88

Still don't see why the away fans need to be moved up into the gods, and how that can benefit the atmosphere.
This.

For a good atmosphere you need good "banter" (for want of a better word) between home and away fans. Chuck the away fans up in NT3 and fewer and fewer will attend, leading to a shitter and shitter atmosphere.

I doon't like how away fans are treated in the EPL these days - seems like we're moving towards the Spanish model of support.

TheReligion

Abusive
This.

For a good atmosphere you need good "banter" (for want of a better word) between home and away fans. Chuck the away fans up in NT3 and fewer and fewer will attend, leading to a shitter and shitter atmosphere.

I doon't like how away fans are treated in the EPL these days - seems like we're moving towards the Spanish model of support.
I like the idea about the singing section but also agree with Ralphie

PatrickP

Manchester United scrap singing section plan at Old Trafford over fears of 'Poznan' celebration by City fans
Mike Keegan
July 09, 2012

Manchester United's plans to improve the atmosphere at Old Trafford have been scuppered by City’s ‘Poznan’ celebration, the M.E.N. can reveal.

The Reds wanted to move away fans at Old Trafford to the third tier of the Sir Alex Ferguson stand in a bid to improve ‘the number, range and quality of seats’ available to home fans and introduce a ‘singing section’.

They trialled the switch at a Premier League clash with Aston Villa in April. But, following a police report on the experiment, the move was scrapped.

The document, obtained under Freedom of Information laws, highlights a fear that away supporters, particularly those of City, will ‘move in a similar synchronised fashion’ therefore causing the stand to ‘flex’.

Written by Old Trafford commander Chief Supt Mark Roberts, it states that stand movement, while not necessarily dangerous, could cause panic among fans.

The last time City played at Old Trafford their fans performed the Poznan celebration – in which they turn their backs on the action and jump up and down when their team scores – six times.

Spread over 15 pages, the report also highlights a number of other potential issues.

Fears are raised that the persistent standing of away fans, coupled with the steep layout of the stand, could see some plunge over the front of the tier.

Concerns were also aired over the police’s ability to respond to trouble with back-up officers having to race up 16 flights of stairs to get to the area.

The report states that at the Villa game fans of both clubs, spat at each other as they climbed up parallel sets of stairs, and highlights that there is no netting in place on the stairways to prevent missiles being hurled.

It also discloses that a number of fans ejected from the section started to watch the match on TV sets in the foyer of the Red Cafe. And the move, which would see away fans relocate from the East Stand, could also increase the number of potential flashpoints outside the ground.

The switch was scrapped following meetings with the council-lead Safety Advisory Group.

However, United have not ruled out looking again at the idea. A spokesman said: “We are surprised the police have chosen to raise this issue. We have an ongoing dialogue with the council. They put the stadium through a rigorous approval process every year and this issue has never been an area of concern for them.

“Given that they have the appropriate expertise in this area, it seems strange that the police would raise it.”
Well it seems that that is the end of the singing section.

There were mixed views on it but I was for the idea.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Well it seems that that is the end of the singing section.

There were mixed views on it but I was for the idea.
I was just about to post that - a real kick in the bollocks from the police to what was a very good idea, TBF some of the objections are valid and a trial with Villa fans doesnt give the same effect as what would happen with Scousers or Bitter Blues.

Hopefully, there can still be dialogue with the club over other potential solutions - we shall see.

Sir A1ex

The last time City played at Old Trafford their fans performed the Poznan celebration – in which they turn their backs on the action and jump up and down when their team scores – six times..
Well hopefully that won't be fecking happening again anyway!

Seriously though, hopefully they keep the idea of the singing section alive, but without sticking teh away fans in tier 3. That was always the worst part of the plan anyway.

mickthered

everywhere united fans go they get hammered by losing tickets for standing or breaking ground regs at away games the club sit back and do nothing ,United fans stand at home games they get threatened with the loss of STs yet away fans do it at Old Trafford and nothing is done

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Dint realize its been postponed for 2013-14, sorry.
Well there is still a lot of work to be done to make it happen even for next season - as far as I know the club are still dealing with the police/council objections to moving away fans to North Stand T3 - how far they have got with that exactly I have no idea.

The plus point is that the fans showed that was support for the idea and the club are also open to the possibility.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Well there is still a lot of work to be done to make it happen even for next season - as far as I know the club are still dealing with the police/council objections to moving away fans to North Stand T3 - how far they have got with that exactly I have no idea.

The plus point is that the fans showed that was support for the idea and the club are also open to the possibility.
Why is it such a big thing for the police/council if away fans are moved to a different stand?

Sir A1ex

Why is it such a big thing for the police/council if away fans are moved to a different stand?
Well, according to the above:

...a fear that away supporters, particularly those of City, will ‘move in a similar synchronised fashion’ therefore causing the stand to ‘flex’... ...stand movement, while not necessarily dangerous, could cause panic among fans.

Fears are raised that the persistent standing of away fans, coupled with the steep layout of the stand, could see some plunge over the front of the tier.

Concerns were also aired over the police’s ability to respond to trouble with back-up officers having to race up 16 flights of stairs to get to the area.

The report states that at the Villa game fans of both clubs, spat at each other as they climbed up parallel sets of stairs, and highlights that there is no netting in place on the stairways to prevent missiles being hurled.

It also discloses that a number of fans ejected from the section started to watch the match on TV sets in the foyer of the Red Cafe. And the move, which would see away fans relocate from the East Stand, could also increase the number of potential flashpoints outside the ground.

None of this sounds too insurmountable, but for what it's worth I've never been in favour of putting them up there anyway, it will only harm the atmosphere we're meant to be trying to improve.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Why can´t the awayfans be where they are and have the singing-section in East tier 1 or 2?
It has been suggested, but it is difficult to make it happen as you would have to force people to move.

The beauty of the idea to move the away fans was that it gives a 'blank canvas' in that stand to start from scratch.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Sorry if I´m ignorant here but wouldn´t we have to move people in SAF-stand tier 3 to fit in the away-support:confused:
Moving people from T3 is going to be easier than doing it from the East Stand I would suggest Magnus. ST holders in T3 have been holding a ST on average for less time, are likely to be very able bodied (I've trekked up there a few times :lol:) and, in my opinion at least, (I maye be wrong) will end up with a better seat. I could be wrong again but there are less ST holders up in T3 and a decent proportion is seat sales rather than ST I think (compared to other areas of the ground).

I might be talking complete shite however :)

Magnus

Another mad swede
Moving people from T3 is going to be easier than doing it from the East Stand I would suggest Magnus. ST holders in T3 have been holding a ST on average for less time, are likely to be very able bodied (I've trekked up there a few times :lol:) and, in my opinion at least, (I maye be wrong) will end up with a better seat. I could be wrong again but there are less ST holders up in T3 and a decent proportion is seat sales rather than ST I think (compared to other areas of the ground).

I might be talking complete shite however :)
OK,cheers.

scream

I sat in the 'away section' when this was trialled at the Villa game.
Although it is a cracking view from there the seats are shit, far too tightly packed front, back and sides, and a real pain to get out of for toilet visits etc.

Although as a singing section they are great, from a comfort perspective they are awful.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
I sat in the 'away section' when this was trialled at the Villa game.
Although it is a cracking view from there the seats are shit, far too tightly packed front, back and sides, and a real pain to get out of for toilet visits etc.

Although as a singing section they are great, from a comfort perspective they are awful.
If the singing section goes there no fecker will be sitting down anyway.

kps88

For some reason people think that photo is from yesterday's game.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
One step further away now unfortunately - from the latest Fans Forum meeting:

"The Club has abandoned plans to relocate away fans to Tier 3 of the Sir Alex Ferguson Stand. In principle it remains committed to moving away supporters from their current location but it is a difficult task to find a suitable area, without inconveniencing United fans."

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
ET2. They go there for cup games with no problems, and the singers will be near the away fans. How's this difficult?
already been mentioned above

Oh for fecks sake why does everything have to be so difficult, how the feck to Germans have standing terraces then.
this is not about standing actually - thats a whole seperate issue.
here is everything you need to know on that score: https://www.redcafe.net/f7/safe-standing-campaign-361421/

Sir A1ex

this is not about standing actually - thats a whole seperate issue.
I wouldn't call it a whole seperate issue - the return of terraces would sort out the singing / atmoshphere question in an instant.

The task of managing to get a decent singing area should be child's play compared to getting safe standing pushed through, but we can't even manage this.:(