Sir Alex back working at the club (according to Sun)

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Poch's a big fan of Fergie isn't he?

Kag

Hopefully he’s having a Christmas with his family. feck knows it wasn’t that long ago this looked unlikely. Whatever he’s doing at the club is secondary.

The Firestarter

I don't think Fergie ever left the club. After he retired, he announced all the fun things he planned to do and football wasn't on the agenda. Like Sir Matt before him, he couldn't let go. I'm not saying he meddled because I don't think he did that, but after he stepped down, the club did take a turn in another direction. I doubt the Glazers will ever again want to see that much power and control vested in one man; hence Woodward's involvement, which is of a much higher profile than Gill's ever was.

I think he should be consulted on footballing matters and clearly his fingerprints are all over the OGS/Phelan appointments. But appointing a new manager to take us forward needs more than Fergie's say-so, though the club would be silly not to get his input. They should do what huge multinationals do and hire consultants to sift through the likely candidates and match the right man to the situation. But he's bought us six months to do all that. Let's hope the club uses the time wisely.
He didn't leave the club , he was appointed as some sort of director, which nobody knew what actually entailed as a real position within the organisation. It was his retirement payment basically.

He may have been consulted, but tbh he is not the only one that can recommend to bring back Phelan. Also, I'd believe he'd want him as the actual interim manager, not assistant.

Tiber

Leave the man alone ffs it's only football and he nearly died a few months ago.

RC89

dave1956

I would have thought that his medical consultant would have advised strongly against him being back involved with the club in any capacity.

FujiVice

Maybe he's doing the Busby role. Where he has an office at Old Trafford and comes in a few days a week and his door is always open. Sort of a "use him if you need him" type role.

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
The only thing you can agree with the Scousers on is regarding The Sun.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
He was consulted by Woodward I believe when the board had decided a couple of months ago to sack Mourinho.
I don't believe for a moment that Ole and Phelan were only asked after the Liverpool loss.
Ole wants Fergie's advice and Fergie is glad to give it. So it is an ideal situation.
If Ole really gets results and we get Top 4 and say win the FA Cup, Ole may well get the long term job. I think Fergie will back him.
We have half the season to go and a lot of football to play.
A game at a time.

Web of Bissaka

Assuming he's back working, give him special working hours :lol: "Come and go whenever you want boss. In fact, we insist you leave work early. If you decide to stay at home today, sure, the phone is easier if we need to contact, no problem at all."

Just give him an easy job with assistants to do the tedious hard specifics paper works and all if necessary while he just offer his wisdom.
-- Football Consultant, at the club.

His words have power, and I don't see SAF him using/abusing it for the wrong cause it since he retired. Obviously not perfect, but still more reliable more often than not.

Managers and other personnel (coaches, scouts and the negotiator) can freely come by to his office for a Cup of Tea chat or two.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I've amended the thread title. It's only the Sun who's saying that. There are no various reports.

Acole9

Outstanding
Let him rest
Doubt it. Maybe they had one meeting or two, phone calls even.
"Working", he's 77 and still recovering from last health issue ffs.
SAF as DoF? Jesus, let the man rest. He simply should not be spending near the same energy required for such a job.

Agree with all of the above. I don't mean to be disrespectful but he looks older since his illness, it must've taken a lot out of him. I'm sure managers including Ole will call him for advice but in terms of an actual role at the club I think that's highly unlikely. Let the great man enjoy his retirement without all this fantasy nonsense.

captain666

The greatest man to ask for advice from but I don't see him taking an official position.
He will help Ole when necessary.

M Utd

If true.... and probably BS given the source it's a good move. I think all other managers we've appointed before have wanted to create their own mark on the club (I don't blame them but in hindsight it's been really detrimental to the club). Ole I think being interim boss and a player the great man himself brought it is much more likely to be receptive to any input from Fergie.

Solver

Michael Corleone on taking over the Corleone family, "Tom Hagen is no longer consigliere; he will be strictly our lawyer; besides, can I have better consigliere than my father?" Ole= Michael Corleone; Sir Alex= Don Corleone. Ole's gonna settle all family scores and will take this team back on the perch

Maticmaker

Apart from during his illness has SAF ever been away for OT, isn't he a non-ex Director?
Can't imagine anyone at OT ignoring what SAF says, they may not act on his advice, but his utterings, good or bad, cannot be ignored given his past associations with the club. They may not always be a good idea ( eg.Moyes recommendation etc.)

Comparisons have been made with Sir Matt Busby and his associations with club, post his managerial role. The difference is perhaps SAF will give a response when asked, otherwise keeps quiet, where as Busby when he was almost forced back into harness, he expected from then on everything he said would be followed.

Chairman Steve

He's been a director since he retired really, so he's always been 'working' in some capacity with us since then.

vidic blood & sand

I think Ole and Phelan's arrival was Fergie's decision, and so I think he's a major influence in the board room, and is a phone away from Ole, but I think that's all.

LoveFootball

If Ole is a good tactician, with the help and presence of SAF, then our dark days are over. Players will give their all for these 2 great legends. SAF presence alone is enough to motivate these group of players.

Denis' cuff

Your comment was my first reaction. This is a hugely difficult subject that many clubs have had to cope with varying degrees of success.

Liverpool were quick to get Shankly distanced from their club and claimed it was preferable to Busby’s continuing influence at OT. Their results in the 70s and 80s suggest there’s was a succcessful solution.

I would argue Busby was simply impossible to sideline. He was a ‘presence’, in close proximity he was almost deified. Unlike Fergie, he was at the heart and soul of Manchester football. Red or Blue he was held with such high esteem, it was a phenomenal relationship between the man and the city. Most of it came from his playing for City, Munich, and the European Cup but he was also that ‘humble’ quiet man that no one could fail to respect. However, there is the case that Busby made it difficult for Wilf and O’Farrell to function especially in regards to dropping the legends. In Too Good To Go Down, it was Busby’s presence that contributed to the team’s long term decline that led to relegation. I think Patrick Barclay said he was simply too loyal to drop the legends.

The Fergie situation is also complex:

Firstly, he has hardly been quiet in his retirement - attending games, the second book, the lecture circuit and the tv interviews have all been about United past, present and future. This was not as he claimed in July 2013, a retirement of living in New York with the missus visiting museums.

Secondly, he became that go-between from squad, club, board to shareholders, which was unlike any other managerial relationship in football. He was called upon to identify a replacement, which in business is frowned upon. However, its possible that his meeting with potential candidates made some of them jittery over his continuing presence in squad politics.

Thirdly, Fergie is not untainted by past events that stretched from ‘the Rock’, to the Glazers, the Keane affair, and even the Beckham incident. He promised to back Moyes but released his second memoir which meant he remained in the spotlight. At the time this suggested to me that there was no one in the club capable of asking him to step away.

But, Fergie doesn’t have the same loyalty to the players as Busby. He is the ultimate pragmatist and competitor and can take the semi-director of football role temporarily although his health must now be a major concern for everyone.

Some good points, mate but I think it was less loyalty and more self interest on the part of Busby/Edwards to spend what was desperately needed (familiar?) and by the time Docherty arrived, we’d got past the daunting spectre of Busbys presence. In fact, the Doc would let it be known that he more than welcomed Busbys opinion and he did, indeed seek it. I’m hoping we’re at, or past a similar point in trying to find a way forward after such a long occupation of the job, followed by several ill advised appointments. The similarities are quite striking and I hope I’m not being unduly optimistic in hoping that we’re maybe through the dark days floundering around to find a direction forward and out of the confused mire that followed long periods of success. I do like the mix of experience in the coaching staff with largely young, hopefully ambitious types tempered by a bit of experience.

carlosp

Well we have had Ole say he has been in the office and has been on the training ground so, so much for The Sun. They've been correct at other times too even though people do hate them.

I'm happy that he seems to be helping out. Yes he is old, but any input from him I would think Ole is lapping up.

Last edited:

Jezpeza

One little conspiracy theory I thought of the day (and it is just that) was thinking about that perhaps Ferguson is heavily advising OGS and Phelan is back obviously part of the fergie era. Perhaps they see naming him interim manager a good way of taking the pressure that has killed Moyes, LVG and Mourinho from the outset off and allowing everything to bed in and fergie to mentor him before naming him full time in the summer.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
The more this goes on, the more I think that this was the succession plan that should have occurred when he retired. A manager being put in place who will act like a sponge and absorb all this information and experience and carry on the same legacy. I wouldnt be surprised if he hangs around for next season too if Ole gets the job.

And yet the club let Moyes turf our backroom staff for his merry bunch of muppets from Everton who've won nothing.

Adamsk7

Why can’t we just praise a decent manager for doing a good job?

We say the club shouldn’t look to Ferguson or live in the past but isn’t this thread doing just that?

Ole is doing a brilliant job and asking for advice from the greatest football manager that has ever lived is just smart thinking to me.

bri2013

Yep, Ole said as much in his post match interview where the boss was querying Rossi's goal. :) 4:39 in the video

:lol:
I Missed that press conference. Guess SAF is possibly helping / advising Ole and the coaching staff which can only be good news.

FujiVice

A week in Dubai and Alex Ferguson on the training ground the day before the game? How did we think there was a chance Spurs would beat us?

Dannyboy

If you look back on it no other club in Europe has ever had to deal with such a iconic and successful manager leaving. LVG and Jose have worked at the biggest clubs in the world and with rich histories which has its own and different pressures but nothing like follow SAF and his success. Maybe the weight of his success was to much for them and in hindsight when Busby left we should have known how to deal with it better. Now the club may have realized that having SAF to guide the club is better than not having him involved at all and taking a risk on a big name