Sir Alex Ferguson’s autobiography to be published on 24 October

Lance Uppercut

Is this 'Managing My Life' with extra chapters to bring it up to date?

Lance Uppercut

Absolutely, I'm not complaining. The apparent name change is a little odd, if that is the case.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
Sir Alex Ferguson's autobiography to be published in October
Sir Alex Ferguson has signed up with Hodder & Stoughton to publish his autobiography,
which will be ghost-written by the Telegraph's chief sports writer, Paul Hayward.

Sir Alex Ferguson, the former Manchester United manager, will reveal the secret of his success in
an autobiography, to be published by Hodder & Stoughton in Ocobter.
The book will be ghost-written by Paul Hayward, the Telegraph's award-winning chief sports
writer, who has already ghosted books by Michael Owen and Sir Bobby Robson.
"His career is the story of English football over the past three decades,"Hayward said of Ferguson
today. "It's a privilege for me to help him describe how he managed such huge change at
Manchester United, and to lay out his countless insights and anecdotes stretching back to his roots
in Glasgow."
For a man used to signing up other people, it must have been a strange experience for Ferguson to
be signed up himself. But the former manager and Hodder, who announced their acquisition and
publication date today, both know that there will be worldwide interest in his personal journey from05.09.2013 Sir AlexFerguson's autobiographytobepublishedinOctober - Telegraph
www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/10071673/Sir-Alex-Fergusons-autobiography-to-be-published-in-October.html 2/2
a Govan shipyard to being one of the world's most successful football managers.
Ferguson, 71, who won 13 league titles, two Champions League crowns, five FA Cups and four
League Cups during his 26-year reign at United, is reported to have reached a verbal agreement
with Hodder three years ago. It is not clear how much Ferguson was paid, but a recent report of
£2million is thought to be well wide of the mark. Book negotiations have been handled by his son,
Jason Ferguson, who runs a sports agency.
According to a statement from Hodder, Ferguson "has been reflecting on and jotting down the
highlights of his quite extraordinary career and in his new book he will reveal his amazing story as
it unfolded.
"Sir Alex is recognised as having a ruthless streak allied to his drive and passion to win. It is likely
that he could have transferred his leadership qualities with equal success to business. He will
address this question in his book."
This will be Ferguson's second autobiography. Alex Ferguson: Managing My Life, was published
by Hodder in 1999, the year Manchester United famously won the treble (FA Cup, Champions'
League and the Premiership).
There will be plenty for Ferguson to reflect upon in his new book, as his tenure since 1999 has
been full of drama. For seven years, he refused to give any interviews to the BBC, following an
unflattering documentary about his son Jason.
In 2003, he fell out with David Beckham, who was inadvertently hit on the eyebrow by a football
boot kicked by his manager in a dressing room row. Beckham was so incensed that he apparently
“went for” Ferguson. They have since made up – Ferguson was full of praise for his former player
when Beckham recently announced his retirement.
Intense interest also still surrounds his split with racing tycoons John Magnier and JP
McManus over Rock of Gibraltar, a horse that they jointly owned. And there will be plenty to say
about his on-off relationship with Wayne Rooney, which reached an all-time low when the player
was left out of United's recent Champions League tie against Real Madrid.
The new book was acquired by Hodder's Roddy Bloomfield, who has worked with Sir Alex on
previous titles.
from the telegraph

simon_xazza

Do you think he will be cautious about what he writes regarding our more recent teams. Obviously anything he writes on Rooneygate (either of them) could have an effect on the squad.

Skywarden

I think he'll do his utmost to not put the club in a bad spot. In contrast, I think he'll have a go at the ones who claimed he'd earn a nice sum from the NYSE floating. That must have pissed him off to no end.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Do you think he will be cautious about what he writes regarding our more recent teams. Obviously anything he writes on Rooneygate (either of them) could have an effect on the squad.
He won't be cautious, he'll be respectful. I won't expect any negativity.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Must-buy for me aswell. Last book I read properly was Roy Keane's autobiography :cool:

Amir

Some worried people around the football world, I'm sure...

I'm not a big fan of people who issue two autobiographies like Giggs has done (both within a few years while he's still playing), but Fergie's previous one was almost a life time ago, 14 years (with an updated one) so it's hardly an issue. I'm sure I've read everything I ever will about his career as a player or Aberdeen, or his early years with us, the struggles, the double-double, but there's still so much to cover.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I have read two books in the last 10 or so years and they are the autobiographies of G.Neville and Roy Keane (minus text books at uni). This will be the next one. Can't freaking wait.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Just hope it's mainly focused on post 1999. His first book covered that now this should mainly focus on 2000-2013. So much has happened in that time.
Im sure 90% of it will be post 1999. In future years, Im sure people will regard this as the 2nd and final volume of SAFs life story.

The only pity is that some his views will be tempered or absent given he remains a director of the club. And so he wont be critical of any club policy initiated by the Glazers. Or maybe he agrees with everything the Glazers have done :nervous:

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Hope the book has a bit of sensational elements to it. While Neville's autobiography was interesting, it was in effect just a season by season review once it got to his United career.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Anyone know how I can pre-order this and get it delivered to Beirut, Lebanon?

Edgio

This is gonna seriously rock the Rooney boat again, isn't it? Right after Moyes has steadied it.

kps88

This is gonna seriously rock the Rooney boat again, isn't it? Right after Moyes has steadied it.
No chance. SAF won't put in anything that would hurt the club, especially as he's still a director and close to Moyes. He knows first hand from Stam and Keane how autobiographies can negatively effect things.

SirAF

Ageist
No chance. SAF won't put in anything that would hurt the club, especially as he's still a director and close to Moyes. He knows first hand from Stam and Keane how autobiographies can negatively effect things.

Yep. There's going to be plenty of interesting anecdotes and so on, but I can't see any "rocking of the boat". Ferguson loves the club too much for that.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
fecking hell, that typo in the intro really is in the Telegraph article

Sir Alex Ferguson, the former Manchester United manager, will reveal the secret of his success in
an autobiography, to be published by Hodder & Stoughton in Ocobter.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
From your man Daniel Taylor at the Guardian...

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/sep/07/alex-ferguson-book-wayne-rooney

A few years ago Manchester United introduced a new rule that stipulated any player writing a book had to run it by the club first. Roy Keane had been banned for a passage on Alfie Haaland's right knee that read more like a scene from a Guy Ritchie film. Jaap Stam had embarrassed Sir Alex Ferguson with a number of claims, among them that the manager encouraged players to dive. Enough was enough and the message came down from the top of the club that it was time everyone reverted to a bit of reassuring blandness.

Since then, the books emanating from Old Trafford have been vapid, to say the least. Cristiano Ronaldo's Moments has almost as many photographs as words, like a hardback version of Hello!, Paul Scholes's autobiography never gets any more controversial than revealing he doesn't like the team's blue away kit. Ryan Giggs starts promisingly, with an anecdote about punching Martin Edwards's son, but quickly settles into the usual formulaic stuff. It is all very different to the days when Stam described the Neville brothers as a pair of "busy cnuts".

Unfortunately for United, Ferguson likes to go by his own rules. His new autobiography, 14 years since the last one, is out on 24 October, with a press conference the previous day to launch it and a tour featuring theatre and music-hall dates in Manchester, Glasgow, London, Aberdeen and Dublin. He might be gone but you will be hearing an awful lot about Ferguson over the next couple of months and it is probably no surprise that at Old Trafford they are wondering whether a storm of locusts is about to head their way. Or that one question, more than any other, is being asked: is Ferguson about to blow apart the Wayne Rooney peace process?

He can hardly ignore what has happened, the breakdown of their relationship, the transfer request, the cow looking into the next field and all that, and when Ferguson makes it his business to get in the final word it is a potent pot of poison in which he dabs his quill. Just ask Gordon Strachan and Brian Kidd, among others, after the literary kicking they took in his 1999 book. Or consider its account of finding out an old Rangers man, Willie Allison, someone he had come to regard as a mortal enemy, had been diagnosed with cancer. "I know it is a terrible thing to say," Ferguson writes, "but I did not have a crumb of pity for him."

The less-read 6 Years at United is possibly even more caustic. This is the book, to give you a flavour, in which Ferguson reflects on Emlyn Hughes's move into the media. "I don't know anyone in the game who has any time for Emlyn Hughes," he points out. "He is a disappointing character." Ferguson talks about Frank Stapleton "bordering on the morose". Tommy Docherty doesn't get off lightly either. "We all know about the Doc. He is what he is, a bitter old man."
It is probably fair to assume that Ferguson's latest epic, earning him a reputed £2m advance, is going to take up an awful lot of headlines next month and that the list of people he chops down in print will be considerable.
Keane is just one of them, bearing in mind Ferguson has never been through what was said in that infamous, never-seen episode of MUTV's "Play The Pundit" and the precise reasons he drummed him out of the club. The fall-out with Ruud van Nistelrooy needs an explanation, as does the time Ferguson split open David Beckham's forehead with a flying boot.

Will Ferguson dare take on John Magnier and JP McManus over the Rock Of Gibraltar affair? It would be a surprise if he goes too far into it. But consider all the words that might have been reserved for, in no particular order, Luis Suárez, Gabriel Heinze, Peter Kenyon, Owen Hargreaves, the Football Association, Mark Bosnich, Manchester City, Martin Atkinson (his least favourite referee), Carlos Tevez, Kia Joorabchian, José Mourinho, Rafael Benítez and many others.
Ferguson has been putting together his memoirs over the past four years. Just don't expect a forensic deconstruction of the Glazer family's takeover and any late admission that the fans were right, after all. On the contrary, if he goes after anyone from that saga it will be the supporters who set up FC United of Manchester.

But it is Ferguson's views on Rooney that threaten the most damage and it is easy to understand why, behind the scenes, United are worried about it undermining David Moyes and creating all sorts of new issues. Rooney, as if it needs recapping, has just spent the summer trying to get a move to Chelsea only for his current employers to make it clear he can think again. Now they are going through the process of trying to convince Rooney he can start enjoying life at Old Trafford again, working on his ego, trying to demonstrate they still value him highly.

The situation is delicate enough without Ferguson providing another round of damaging publicity – but that's exactly what United expect. At the very least, he has to address the Rooney issue because the alternative is the book losing credibility. But, Fergie being Fergie, it is not a huge assumption to think there will be a warts-and-all version of why he thinks Rooney fell out of love with United and why, on his final day as manager, two men who have shared so many joys ended up looking like strangers on a bus. Paul Stretford, Rooney's agent, might feature prominently, too, bearing in mind Ferguson has already described him as "not the most popular man" at Old Trafford. And it's not difficult to imagine why there are people at Old Trafford dreading it. The timing, two months into Ferguson's first season of retirement, could hardly be much worse. With all the politics that are involved, it is the last thing United – and Moyes – need.

The book promises to be tremendous and he has certainly appointed a superb writer in Paul Hayward to fall in line with the job Hugh McIlvanney completed in 1999. Whatever Ferguson reveals, bear in mind he is not always acknowledged as the most scrupulous truth-teller – Kidd's response to his pummelling in Managing My Life memorably concluded that "Walt Disney is trying to buy the film rights as a sequel to Fantasia" – but it will be fascinating to know, among other things, whether he did regard Rooney as having fitness, attitude and weight issues, why he brought in Robin van Persie to take over as principal striker and what, in short, went wrong between manager and player.

All good fun for the readers. Not, perhaps, for the people involved. Could Ferguson maybe just have hung on a little bearing in mind Moyes is still feeling his way into the job? The book has certainly been rushed out with remarkable alacrity and Ferguson, lest it be forgotten, created a lot of the problems in the first place by going against everything he said he once stood for and announcing, live on television, that Rooney had been to see him for a private conversation and requested a transfer.

That has always been disputed and United now accept it is not quite how it went. But the damage was done and, all summer, Rooney's camp have cited Ferguson as the main reason why their player wanted to go, and that he still suspects his former manager has great influence at the club in his new roles as a director and ambassador.
Rooney and Stretford, as this column has already noted, probably need their heads banging together, but they are entitled to wonder whether that television interview in May was Ferguson at his worst.

It is a mess Moyes could easily have been spared and it would certainly be strange, given Ferguson's affinity to the club and everything he has said about supporting the new manager, if he is about to throw another can of petrol on the flames, then stand back, admiring his work.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Ferguson won't reveal anything that could be potentially damaging to Manchester United and David Moyes. :lol:

Sam

Paul Scholes's autobiography never gets any more controversial than revealing he doesn't like the team's blue away kit....Stam described the Neville brothers as a pair of "busy cnuts".
:lol::lol:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Reading some of those links just took me on a glorious trip of youtube nostalgia, from Stam just standing strong to Zamorano, Van Nistelrooy's 90th min pen miss v Arsenal and their players acting like a pack of wild apes. How RVN didn't punch Keown at least twice in the incident I'll never know, to Southgate lunging in dangerously on Keane in about 94 and getting his just desserts of a good stamp, and many other incidents!

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
SAF is a director and hence still an employee of the club. He won't be revealing anything damaging I wouldn't think. Especially about the Glazers.

LR7

That article is a bit irritating. Daniel Taylor seems to have his feet firmly under the table at Old Trafford again. He seems to be becoming a mouthpiece to someone at United almost like Marca to Madrid. That last piece about the transfers might as well have had Woodward's name on it. He has no idea what is in the book yet he's taken it upon himself to decide that it's probably going to destabilise the Club and undermine Moyes ffs.
It is a mess Moyes could easily have been spared and it would certainly be strange, given Ferguson's affinity to the club and everything he has said about supporting the new manager, if he is about to throw another can of petrol on the flames, then stand back, admiring his work.
:houllier:
Fergie revealing that Rooney wanted to leave last season was hardly throwing a can of petrol on any flames, if anything he was absolving Moyes of any blame, by revealing Rooney wanted to leave before Moyes came in. Had he not said it everyone would be blaming Moyes.

SAF has stayed out of the limelight completely during the start of the season, allowing Moyes to settle in, I don't understand where this 'selfish Fergie destabilising United and undermining his successor' narrative is coming from.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
SAF has stayed out of the limelight completely during the start of the season, allowing Moyes to settle in, I don't understand where this 'selfish Fergie destabilising United and undermining his successor' narrative is coming from.
I guess it is the timing of the release of his book that could be seen to be a little inconsiderate (if there is any juicy content anyway). Fergie already has one autobiography and is a multi millionaire so there is no desperate rush to get another book out.

I'm sure it will be very tame though, can't see him putting the boot in to anyone still at the club.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I'd prefer it if he just told his story warts and all, it will be his last book and we're all dying to read it.. no one wants a bland account, his first book was quality, expect this one to be just as good.

De Selby

Scottish
Supports
Guangzhou Pharmaceutical F.C.
I guess it is the timing of the release of his book that could be seen to be a little inconsiderate (if there is any juicy content anyway). Fergie already has one autobiography and is a multi millionaire so there is no desperate rush to get another book out.

I'm sure it will be very tame though, can't see him putting the boot in to anyone still at the club.

Probably. Sporting memoirs are only good when dirt is dished. No one wants to hear about when the kit man made a mix up with the shorts before a trip away to Southampton, they want to hear about how a footballer or fellow manager who's generally well thought of by the general public is, in fact, a cnut.