Sir Alex Ferguson’s autobiography to be published on 24 October

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
The Guardian Live Updates:

Ferguson's autobiography is a riveting read, touching on all the controversies during the second half of his Manchester United career.
He does not go into much detail about the Rock of Gibraltar dispute with John Magnier and JP McManus. However, he has his say on...
• Roy Keane
• Wayne Rooney
• The FA and England
• David Beckham
And much more

http://www.theguardian.com/football...graphy-10-things-we-learned-manchester-united

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
SAF offered the England job twice. Once following Hoddle's sacking and then again after Keegan's resignation.

Brophs

The One and Only
Sounds like Keane, Beckham, Ruud and Benitez get the worst of it. From what I've seen so far the Rooney and Rock stories are fudged.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Fergie tore into Rooney during that Ozil discussion apparently, telling Wayne that it was none of his business to decide club policy and that United had only just won a league and cup double for crying out loud.

Rafa gets a raw deal. Fergie paying particular attention to the FACHTS press conference.

Thisistheone

Silly question perhaps, but this one carries on from where the first one left off? i.e. 1999/2000. Or do we begin with his childhood all over again?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Sounds like Keane, Beckham, Ruud and Benitez get the worst of it. From what I've seen so far the Rooney and Rock stories are fudged.
I think we all knew Keane was becoming troublesome. He had become a right cantankerous git. I think he is sad about Beckham.

SATA

I remember Fergie was at Craven Cottage when Bremen was playing Fulham in a friendly. Everyone was pointing he was there to scout Ozil and may even signed him after that

Bojan11

I remember Fergie was at Craven Cottage when Bremen was playing Fulham in a friendly. Everyone was pointing he was there to scout Ozil and may even signed him after that
No.

We were due to play Fulham in our second game.

MoneyMay

Ferguson: "Benitez had more regard for defending and destroying a game than winning it."

Ferguson continues on Benitez: "I found Liverpool hard to watch when he was manager there. I found them dull."

Ferguson on Jose & Rafa: "If you saw Jose and Rafa standing together on the touchline, you knew you could pick the winner."

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I don't see nothing wrong about players offering suggestions but demanding a signing is wrong. That said Rooney was right on Ozil.

alastair

ignorant
What's yours? That Ozil's a good player? That much is pretty obvious. That players should be able to dictate to managers who they buy? That's just daft.

No, I agreed with Ferguson. It was just particularly funny looking back at it when Rooney was probably right in hindsight.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
No, I agreed with Ferguson. It was just particularly funny looking back at it when Rooney was probably right in hindsight.

If SAF had stayed on you can bet your house he'd have gone in for Ozil and palmed Rooney off in an act of defiance.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I don't see nothing wrong about players offering suggestions but demanding a signing is wrong. That said Rooney was right on Ozil.
I think he said that at the time Ozil was being played at Bremen in the position he was buying Hernandez to play.

Bojan11

Ozil was never coming. Sorry, I bet we were in for him. But he preferred Madrid.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
It wasn't as if we weren't in the hunt for quality players during that era though, Sneijder for instance.

Much praise for Jose in the book. Fergie admired Mourinho's ability to laugh at himself and life in general, something he didn't feel was present in Benitez or Wenger.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Much praise for Jose in the book. Fergie admired his ability to laugh at himself
In other words, SAF laughed at him & José didn't have the nerve to wish death on him, as he might with other critics.

lem8sh

On Rooney's desire to leave the Red Devils: "Wayne asked away because he felt he was playing out of position. I can understand that. My judgement was that Wayne wasn't playing well enough. But when you see him playing like he is, do you think I would drop him? No way. He is England's great white hope and a great player for Manchester United. The player who is playing now is a different player."

On Rooney's fitness: "In a training ground exercise he wouldn't he wouldn't absorb new ideas or methods quickly. His instinct was to revert to type, to trust what he already knew. He has great qualities about him but they could be swallowed up by a lack of fitness. It was not wise for England to give him a week's holiday before Euro 2012 because he might lose his edge. If he missed a couple of weeks for United it would take him four or five games to get his sharpness back."

On Beckham: "Everything changed when he fell in love with Victoria. If he had asked my advice about leaving Real Madrid for LA Galaxy I would have told me exactly what I thought. He reinvented himself a couple of times to get to AC Milan and Paris St Germain. Maybe he will look back and think going to Los Angeles wasn't the right choice."

On Keane: "We couldn't release that tape [showing Keane attack Ferguson for his handling of the Rock of Gibraltar saga]. Everything happened so quickly. We decided we had to do something. I couldn't lose my control in this situation. If I had done that the players would have viewed me differently. You have to be strong enough to deal with important issues. Roy Keane overstepped the mark. He was a great player for us but there was no other thing we could do."

On signing Gerrard: "We made a show of him in the transfer market, as did Chelsea, because the vibe was that he wanted to move from Anfield. But there seemed to be some restraining influence from people outside the club and it reached a dead end."

On Benitez: "The mistake he made was to turn our rivalry personal. Once you made it personal, you had no chance because I could wait. So, on television he puts his glasses on and produces this sheet of paper. Facts. The facts were all wrong. All I said in reply was that Rafa was obviously bitter about something... That was me saying to him: look, you're a silly man. You should never make it personal. The advance publicity was that Benitez was a control freak, which turned out to be correct. If you saw Jose and Rafa standing together on the touchline, you knew you could pick the winner."