Sir Alex Ferguson has retired

Status
Not open for further replies.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
As rumours of the 71-year-old’s imminent retirement swept Manchester, senior figures at the club failed to respond to repeated attempts to confirm or deny the story, which emerged following United’s player versus coaches golf day at Dunham Massey on Tuesday afternoon.
With United now forced to adhere to the strict rules and regulations of the New York Stock Exchange in terms of the release of significant information relating to the running of the club following last August’s partial flotation, any change of management would fall within those requirements.
As of Tuesday night, no statement over Ferguson’s future had been issued by United.
However, with sources close to the players confirming that the squad’s golf day had been overshadowed by suggestions that the Scot would be making an announcement ahead of Sunday’s clash with Swansea at Old Trafford, any ongoing uncertainty is unlikely to be allowed to continue to the point where it would affect the confidence of investors and, in turn, United’s New York share price.
When United’s owners, the Glazer family, issued its prospectus for the club’s £500m bond issue in January 2010, the prospect of Ferguson leaving the club and potentially jeopardising future success was raised by the Americans as one of the risk factors attached to investing in the club.
:nervous:

Sir Alex Ferguson considering retiring as Manchester United manager before end of the week

EDIT:

Sir Alex Ferguson will retire at the end of the season, Manchester United have confirmed in a statement.

Rumours about Ferguson's United future began to circulate at the club's golf day on Tuesday and were widely carried in Wednesday's newspapers.

And at around 9.20am United made the announcement on their website that English football's most successful manager will call time on a 26-and-a-half-year reign this summer.

Ferguson's decision comes just days after he secured his 13th Premier League title, and he has also delivered United two European Cups, five FA Cups, four League Cups and a European Cup Winners' Cup.

He said: "The decision to retire is one that I have thought a great deal about and one that I have not taken lightly. It is the right time.

"It was important to me to leave an organisation in the strongest possible shape and I believe I have done so. The quality of this league winning squad, and the balance of ages within it, bodes well for continued success at the highest level whilst the structure of the youth set-up will ensure that the long-term future of the club remains a bright one.

"Our training facilities are amongst the finest in global sport and our home Old Trafford is rightfully regarded as one of the leading venues in the world.

"Going forward, I am delighted to take on the roles of both Director and Ambassador for the club. With these activities, along with my many other interests, I am looking forward to the future.

"I must pay tribute to my family, their love and support has been essential. My wife Cathy has been the key figure throughout my career, providing a bedrock of both stability and encouragement. Words are not enough to express what this has meant to me.

"As for my players and staff, past and present, I would like to thank them all for a staggering level of professional conduct and dedication that has helped to deliver so many memorable triumphs. Without their contribution the history of this great club would not be as rich.

"In my early years, the backing of the board, and Sir Bobby Charlton in particular, gave me the confidence and time to build a football club, rather than just a football team.

"Over the past decade, the Glazer family have provided me with the platform to manage Manchester United to the best of my ability and I have been extremely fortunate to have worked with a talented and trustworthy Chief Executive in David Gill. I am truly grateful to all of them.

"To the fans, thank you. The support you have provided over the years has been truly humbling. It has been an honour and an enormous privilege to have had the opportunity to lead your club and I have treasured my time as manager of Manchester United."
Sir Alex Ferguson to retire this summer, Manchester United confirm

"My greatest challenge is not what’s happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fecking perch. And you can print that."

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I suppose it'd be sort of fitting for him to end his career by winning title #20 twenty years after winning the first.

KiD MoYeS

I dunno what to think here really, hope it's complete bollocks and Twitter's hoodwinked some of us.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
I dunno what to think here really, hope it's complete bollocks and Twitter's hoodwinked some of us.
I doubt it, because the Telegraph have gone so strong with it. I hope it's a case of adding two and two, and getting five...

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Mourinho?? Klopp?? can't be Moyes surely.

Chabon

Ogden's completely lacking in credibility, it's possibly true, but he's a crap source for it.

JP77

Fergie walking away without another shot at the CL? Don't be ridiculous :lol:

The only way he'll call it a day is if health comes into play. Otherwise there's still work left for him to do.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Makes sense with the talk of the hip surgery.

He always said that health would be the major factor in quitting.

Laphroaig

Guy Incognito

Then in three days time, you'll see headlines like...

Fergie: "I'm not going anywhere"

"Youse not gonna get rid of me that easily"

"Fergie decks press"

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
It was only just a week ago Rafael Honigstein had people waiting up 'til half 11 for some monumental announcement that never came. Twitter's good for this sort of stuff. Short, vague statements bandied about across the interwebs until it picks up a bit of momentum and the suspense of the story becomes the story itself.

RonaldoVII

If Fergie is to announce his retirement he should do it on the pitch after the Swansea game in his address to the crowd.

Cevno

He was watching the U21's just yesterday.

Probably Moyes coming in as assistant.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
I feel sick. It's just a shock that something is going on. I will be devastated if this is true and it's this sudden. No time to prepare anything for him.

I won't sleep tonight now.

Liam147

On Probation
It was only just a week ago Rafael Honigstein had people waiting up 'til half 11 for some monumental announcement that never came. Twitter's good for this sort of stuff. Short, vague statements bandied about across the interwebs until it picks up a bit of momentum and the suspense of the story becomes the story itself.
Which is genuinely the case here. Imagine there was no announcement and this story just got dropped. Sure we'd be talking about it. But there's be none of this panicking.

Cunto! Get a fecking grip of yerself!

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
I don't know what to say.

Where is a philosophers stone when you need one?

Argh, this is no time for rubbish jokes :(

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Pretty sure the program for the last game had him saying something to the effect of "with all the young players here we have the chance to do something special, I've no reason to walk away from that".

Hope the club puts and end to the rumours quickly if it's not true, the worry is gonna kill us off.

gormless

I bloody hope not. But its gonna be sooner rather than later. I wouldn't blame him if he wants to go out on a high
Also:
In on first page of potentially the biggest thread in redcafe history.

KiD MoYeS

Yeah, if anything could have us worked up over nothing it'd be Twitter. There's been similar stuff to this in the past.

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
OH MY GOD, THE MOYES TO UNITED THREAD IS LOCKED! That's the caf-equivalent of betting suspended - it's happening!

Status
Not open for further replies.