Sir Alex Ferguson has retired

Status
Not open for further replies.

kf

Strange indeed to think we're entering the final day of Sir Alex's tenure at United. A remarkable, talented, stubborn, determined, bloody minded man who always had the club's best interests at heart (clearly because they coincided with his own best interests!)... It would be a very remarkable thing if we saw his like again...

Only a few more hours before he hands the reins over for good.

Thanks Alex

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
Strange indeed to think we're entering the final day of Sir Alex's tenure at United. A remarkable, talented, stubborn, determined, bloody minded man who always had the club's best interests at heart (clearly because they coincided with his own best interests!)... It would be a very remarkable thing if we saw his like again...

Only a few more hours before he hands the reigns over for good.

Thanks Alex
Not wholly though. The amazing thing about Fergie is he still seems to be in awe of Man United. The way he talks about the club, I genuinely think he sets its interests almost above his own at times, like some people do their nation or religion.

LR7

Not wholly though. The amazing thing about Fergie is he still seems to be in awe of Man United. The way he talks about the club, I genuinely think he sets its interests almost above his own at times, like some people do their nation or religion.
I agree and its why I worry about him retiring. When they asked in the presser what he would do to keep himself busy, he listed things through summer and his op then he added "then the new season starts so I'll be ok". I think he'll struggle a bit at first not going into carrington everyday.

kf

Yes you're right I think, there probably have been times when he's put the club before his own ambitions and he does seem to have an almost spiritual respect for the club and it's history. One of the things that set him apart from his predecessors after Matt was that he was prepared to embrace Matt's legacy and advice rather than see it as a burden to be carried. One of the keys to continued success is for Alex and Moyes to have a similar relationship. Moyes couldn't wish to have a better mentor and hopefully it will all work out. Our job as fans is to give it a chance to work out but I guess the vast majority of us know that already.

Gazza

I agree and its why I worry about him retiring. When they asked in the presser what he would do to keep himself busy, he listed things through summer and his op then he added "then the new season starts so I'll be ok". I think he'll struggle a bit at first not going into carrington everyday.
He actually said "then the season starts, so we're off! ... we're alright".

It's as if he's talking about himself AND the club after he leaves. I took it to mean: once the season starts we'll all move on with things.

Gazza

Seems that way doesn't it. The journalists at his last press conference wanted to know his proudest moment from his time at United. His response was "The whole being here is the thing to be proud of".

LR7

He actually said "then the season starts, so we're off! ... we're alright".

It's as if he's talking about himself AND the club after he leaves. I took it to mean: once the season starts we'll all move on with things.
I'll have my holidays for a month and then the operation and then the season will start. I'll be alright
http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-F...ferguson-last-pre-match-press-conference.aspx

I did watch it on MUTV as well. The wording is neither here nor there tbh. I just thought that he might find it difficult now that his life isn't going to be built around the new season.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
An OPed I just submitted to a local newspaper.

This past two weeks has been a strange and uncomfortable. Its felt as though somebody close in my family died. Theoretically, I always knew Sir Alex Ferguson could not go on forever, that eventually his role as Manager of Manchester United had to end and I would have to deal with that. The problem with that theory is that it’s like trying to imagine life without your much-loved uncle or sister. It's a horrible terrible thought of anguish and pain. And so I shut it out of my mind.

The reality of life hit me with brutal force two weeks ago when the great man revealed that his work at Manchester United was done. After providing me 27 years of access into his amazing mind, the door would close. And today, after his 1500th match in charge, he will finally closed that door forever. I wont be seeing him much of him again.

Growing up in London in the 1980s, I started off supporting my local team Arsenal, but my late father quickly put an end to that. No son of his would be allowed to do that and I was forcefully persuaded to support his team: Manchester United.

In those days, Manchester United were not very good and I was the only boy in my entire school that supported them. The glory hunters all supported Liverpool who ruled the world. Other boys at my school did not know what to make of Manchester United. They weren’t very good; they were not a local team, nobody else liked them: its like somebody deciding to support Nottingham Forest but who was not from Nottingham. And yet I was correct in my final choice of club: the rule every boy knows is that you support your local team or the team your father supported.

A few years into my support, my father excitedly announced that everything was about to change at our club, that a new amazing man was our new manager. Abba said that Alex Ferguson would be everything Sir Matt Busby was and more. My father lived near Manchester when he first immigrated to the UK and had watched Best, Law and Charlton in the flesh at Old Trafford. And really, my life changed forever after Sir Alex Ferguson arrived at Manchester United.

He’s always been there in my life. Most days for a few minutes, every weekend for a couple of hours. It's a relationship that provided one of life’s critical anchors. In my life of endless drifting, Sir Alex Ferguson was always a focal point to draw stability, comfort and meaning from. So many memories of mine from the last 20 years are so deeply embedded in his story and achievements. I learned many years ago that to enjoy my passion for Manchester United to its fullest, I would have to submit unconditional love to this man. I did so and he has never let me down.

It’s because of Sir Alex that I met so many people with a common passion. It’s because of him that I visited so many places: I declined an offer from the prestigious London School of Economics and accepted the other offer I had from the University of Manchester so I could be near my club during my university years. My mother stopped speaking with me for 2 months! But it was worth it as Sir Alex won his first English league title during my degree years and I was in the city to cheer him and Eric Cantona in the city centre.

I also managed to find a way to Barcelona in 1999 to witness the 2 goals in the last minute that won a historic European Champions League trophy. And by virtue of living and working in Asia for the past 10 years, I have routinely awoken at 3.30am in hotel bedrooms scattered across the region to catch European matches. But it was always worth it. Sir Alex would be there.

His unmistakable accent, a voice full of verve, conviction and integrity. His words have always been profound and undisputable. His thinking was innovative and energetic and ahead of the times which is remarkable because normally people get stuck in their ways. I have learnt so much from Sir Alex, the most fundamental being the importance of identifying what you are passionate about in life and then pursuing that with tunnel vision.

Managing Manchester United was never a job or a way of making money for Sir Alex. It was his passion: a 26 hours a day, eight days a week. In that sense, he never worked a day in his life and would have performed the work for free, a trait common in all great people. Sir Alex Ferguson found the thing he was born to do – to manage Manchester United. The opportunity came when he was aged 46 and it kept him enthralled for 27 years. That’s the legacy and challenge he leave all of us: that to find satisfaction and genuine fulfillment, we must challenge ourselves to find the one thing that drives our life’s purpose.

If we find that one beautiful thing in our lives we must invest all our emotion and energy into being brilliant at it. Because if we can be, not only will out own life experience be enhanced, but surely, we will also bring happiness and satisfaction to many others. Just like Sir Alex Ferguson has provided me for so many years.

That game was a crazy rollercoaster ride. It sums up our season and Fergie's career quite well. We've seen things watching this club that are beyond belief. He's leaving with a 5-5 draw, yet another first in the Premier League.

Thanks for everything Fergie.

MelvinYeo

I'm only here for the post count
I lost count of the number of times his retirement has hit home but I guess this is it. Thank you Sir Alex for everything, there will never be another

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
I lost count of the number of times his retirement has hit home but I guess this is it. Thank you Sir Alex for everything, there will never be another
Yeah today I finally fully comprehended it. I was very sad watching Ferguson say goodbye to the fans, he looked pretty emotional about it as well.

Goodbye Sir Alex. I really hope you can find something to keep that incredible drive of yours active

.Phil1968

Incredible to think that we've seen the last of Sir Alex in the manager's seat.I don't think it will truly sink in until the start of next season, thank you Sir Alex for everything.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Thank you Sir Alex for being so fecking awesome, basically.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Neither was I. It's always been Fergie for me. No words can describe how weird it will be to not see him in the dugout next season. It will take me a while to not say "Come on Fergie, bring on (player)" next season.

Thank you Sir Alex.

redevil2

Thank you Sir Alex! To me you're and always will be our Boss. Miss you already! All the best with retirement and have great health!

Amir

Our late collapse today was an obvious attempt to make him change his mind. 'No way I'm leaving with that'. Oh well, it was worth a try.

Godfather

Such a great man. And I'm not only talking about his success as a football manager. Every interview I've read of him about other things like politics, he alwys came across like he has his heart in the right place. I wasnt even born when he took over. Ever since I only knew.a United under Ferguson. Will be strange to see someone else take his place. All the best Fergie

Status
Not open for further replies.