Sir Alex in for Akinfeev

Drifter

American
There is truth in the fact that we need a keeper.But when the Sun say eyeing up a player it usually means the club are not.

Alex

It's better than The Sun saying X United player is interested in Y team, I think he is certainly better than Foster and PIG atm.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
FM Legend he may be, but I reckon he would do well. Whilst admittedly I havent seen him play (just going by some highlight reels and his FM stats! :lol: ) he seems like quite a commanding keeper with good distribution, which is the type we normally seem to do well with at United. Looks to be in a similar mold to VDS and the Great Dane, rather than a more "shot stopper" keeper such as Almunia or PIG.

I think we work better with a "leader" between the posts to help organise our excellent back four. Whilst obviously we need our keeper to be able to make good saves, he wont need to make as many thanks to our defensive options.

Ekeke

He's anything but commanding. Anyone with concerns over Foster will have even more concerns with Akinfeev. At least the majority of the time Foster comes and gathers crosses strongly. He does flap a little bit too much and has had a few awkward moments in this respect, but I've seen Akinfeev achieve some terrible feats when having to deal with crosses and while Foster makes up for it with some top draw shot stopping, Akinfeev stands out less in that respect too.

I'm not saying there isnt potential with Akinfeev, but if the idea is to get in another keeper who is a more solid option than Ben Foster, Akinfeev is the exact opposite of that goal.

Justin

He's short for a keeper isn't he? If he can't handle the crosses, then he'd be useless in England.

Ambivalent

How many times have I got to say it? I'm not Bovve
If we buy any new keeper, surely it'd be one of the Germans? Adler or Neuer, I mean. Asenjo's an outside bet if he does well for Atletico.

I get the feeling that Fergie's a little unsure of Foster. He says he'll be England number 1 but I reckon that's more him saying 'England's goalkeeping pool is shite'.

In fact, I reckon VDS will renew his contract for another year.

Hope we don't go through another few years of a poor stream of keepers, like we did in the period between Schmeichel and VDS.

Seen Akinfeev do the spectacular and awful in equal measures whenever I've watched him play. He was the CSKA and Russia first choice from a very young age (18 or something) but doesn't seem to have progressed to the rate to justify the initial hype. I remember him having a long injury lay-off which probably set him back a bit.

Great Hat

I think Akinfeev would be a good purchase for us, even though I he's not the obvious choice by any means; and if we're looking to Russia, I personally think Pletikosa is as good of a keeper, in particular in his shot-stopping and reflexes (although like Akinfeev, he struggles a bit with ariel situations), and both Pletikosa and Akinfeev can take less hair-raising goal kicks than Foster. Akinfeev does seem to make a few mistakes now and then, but he's generally a pretty good keeper, and would be quite a good presence behind the back four IMO.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I think Akinfeev would be a good purchase for us, even though I he's not the obvious choice by any means; and if we're looking to Russia, I personally think Pletikosa is as good of a keeper, in particular in his shot-stopping and reflexes (although like Akinfeev, he struggles a bit with ariel situations), and both Pletikosa and Akinfeev can take less hair-raising goal kicks than Foster. Akinfeev does seem to make a few mistakes now and then, but he's generally a pretty good keeper, and would be quite a good presence behind the back four IMO.
If he is no good in air then we shouldnt buy him up

samabachan

Football is about glory, it is about doing things
Foster's kicking is only hair raising when he's not had a run in the team. He's an excellent kicker. I think he had some silly record like being 2nd highest assister at Watford didn't he?

Great Hat

If he is no good in air then we shouldnt buy him up
I didn't say he's 'no good' in the air. It's not one of his stronger points, but it's not terrible or anything, and he has improved it quite a lot over the last few years. I personally think Pletikosa would be a cracking keeper for us, and we'd get him fairly cheap (in theory) as there's not been a battle to sign him whilst he's been playing in Russia.

samabachman said:
Foster's kicking is only hair raising when he's not had a run in the team. He's an excellent kicker. I think he had some silly record like being 2nd highest assister at Watford didn't he?
If he's first choice then yes, perhaps he'll combat that, but I still don't think his kicking is particularly accurate always, although I guess that Watford stat shows it's not too bad. I think Foster's a good keeper in general.

Ekeke

I didn't say he's 'no good' in the air. It's not one of his stronger points, but it's not terrible or anything, and he has improved it quite a lot over the last few years. I personally think Pletikosa would be a cracking keeper for us, and we'd get him fairly cheap (in theory) as there's not been a battle to sign him whilst he's been playing in Russia.

If he's first choice then yes, perhaps he'll combat that, but I still don't think his kicking is particularly accurate always, although I guess that Watford stat shows it's not too bad. I think Foster's a good keeper in general.
His distribution was, with shot stopping, Ben Foster's strong point. For whatever reason his kicking hasnt been convincing since he stepped into the team. But if he gets back to his best in this run of games, you'll be impressed with his kicking.

Sauxees Moi Hui

Pletikosa was not good enough for Shakhtar Donetsk a few years ago. Why would he be good for us now?

Akinfeev used to flap on crosses a lot when I watched CSKA fairly regularly a few years ago. Not sure he'd be good in the Premiership, but who knows - I had my doubts about Arshavin also.

Great Hat

Pletikosa was not good enough for Shakhtar Donetsk a few years ago. Why would he be good for us now?

Akinfeev used to flap on crosses a lot when I watched CSKA fairly regularly a few years ago. Not sure he'd be good in the Premiership, but who knows - I had my doubts about Arshavin also.
Like I said, I think he's come on quite a lot as a keeper, and his performances for Spartak in the league these last few years have been impressive, as well as those in Euro 2008 (a big stage) being superb. It seems I'm perhaps I'm in the minority on really rating him though.

Agreed on Akinfeev in terms of ariel issues, although I'd say it's not a massive problem in his game now, more just a weak-ish area comparatively imo.

nyrfan818

If he's not good with crosses, I can hardly see us going for him. That said, I do think we're going to see a new keeper signed within the next year or two unless Foster picks up his act considerably (which isn't out of the realm of possibility by any stretch of the imagination). We can't really take the risk of having him in goal when we're trying to win a title if he doesn't do so. Which would be a shame really, because I really do like Foster.

Either way, I don't see Foster's kicking as a concern. Like someone else said, he was excellent in that regard at Watford. He just needs to regain his confidence in it again. I just hope he becomes more effective at crosses because he has all the tools to be a fantastic keeper otherwise.

EZee

I have been saying for a couple of seasons that we should buy him as vds replacement...

so this would happy me if it was true... unfortunatley its in the sun :(

whatever happens i dont see foster being our long term no1...

if we do go for him though i hope its pre world cup because i could see his price rocketing on the back of a decent championships (assuming russia qualify)

Brophs

The One and Only
I've only seen this lad a few times, but what I have seen makes me think he's a bit of a fanny, and a flapper extraordinaire.

That'll probably come back and bite me in the arse, but he looks nothing special to me.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

There are plenty of cases of players not being good enough for one club and then going on to have a successful career at a much better one.

buckooo1978

i've never seen him play but one poster, anderson searl watched him regularly and has a serious hard on for the guy....

i do think foster would make an excellent reserve keeper but i just don't see him being as good to even displace van der sar (no insult to edwin) - if foster was good enough he'd be first choice ahead of a keeper in his late late 30's

PIG for me isn't good enough - makes a bad mistake every game - a little like foster lately actually i suppose

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Akinfeev has already played in the CL, has 33 caps under his belt and is a proven FM legend. Foster has continously unimpressed me.
It surprises me reading from people saying that Foster is a good cross stopper. He's shown the opposite so far this season. Fumbling the ball and punching it awkwardly.

Akinfeev is only 23 years old. He will get his chance twice this season to prove his worth against us.

Ekeke

And if he isnt amazing in those 2 matches, lots of people will consider him a keeper who will never be good enough for us.

Like it took several people here 2 matches or less to decide they feel the same way about Foster.

Anderson Searl

Reserve Team Player
Has anyone actually ever seen him play club level?

I have, and have been singing his praises BEFORE he became an FM legend, and this news, if it's even the slightest bit true, is super exciting !

Ekeke

Has anyone actually ever seen him play club level?

I have, and have been singing his praises BEFORE he became an FM legend, and this news, if it's even the slightest bit true, is super exciting !
Sadly, yes. Doesnt live up to your hype. Mistakes galore.

Ronaldo#7

Man Utd have option on Bayer Leverkusen keeper Adler

Manchester United have been linked with a sensational deal for Bayer Leverkusen goalkeeper Rene Adler.

It's emerged this morning that reports in Germany suggest Bayer keeper Adler has a clause inserted in his contract that allows him to leave if the Red Devils come in for him.

The 24-year-old Germany international has established himself in the Leverkusen starting XI over the past two seasons, earning rave reviews.