Sir Bobby Charlton has died

Very disappointing that the manager, club captain and more first team players are not at the funeral.
How? A lot of them never met him because he'd been retired from work and public life since his diagnosis with alzeimers. Would you go to your boss' boss funeral who you never met? No you wouldn't, stupid comment.

The Diana effect.
Yep, it's been a disaster!

Utterly nuts people want to check ETH’s papers.
The lack of respect people have for the personal lives of famous people will never fail to be utterly shocking and just shows them to be completely immature people

He knew all the highs and lows of the game. Won the league in 1957, survived Munich to win a World Cup, a European Cup, an FA Cup and two more league titles. He ended up in a relegation battle in his final season. A life well lived.

How? A lot of them never met him because he'd been retired from work and public life since his diagnosis with alzeimers. Would you go to your boss' boss funeral who you never met? No you wouldn't, stupid comment.

I think manager and club captain should be there, as a mark of respect.
I am neither at my company.

The entire youth team was there. Did they all know him?

It is a disgrace Ten Hag wasn't there i don't care whether you like him or not the manager should have been at that funeral.

RIP Bobby a true United legend.

It is a disgrace Ten Hag wasn't there i don't care whether you like him or not the manager should have been at that funeral.
The club did clarify the manager had a personal commitment at home which he couldn't skip. On the other hand it was weird (not scandalous and sackable mind you) to see most members of the current team including the captain and the local lad missing it, unless they weren't invited. International break doesn't make much sense, given that Maguire and Southgate were there.

The club did clarify the manager had a personal commitment at home which he couldn't skip. On the other hand it was weird (not scandalous and sackable mind you) to see most members of the current team including the captain and the local lad missing it, unless they weren't invited. International break doesn't make much sense, given that Maguire and Southgate were there.

England are playing in London on Friday. Other national teams aren't. That makes quite a difference.

Bit silly to start moaning about who is or isn't present at a funeral - does it really matter?

Today is just about Sir Bobby Charlton so keep petty opinions to yourself

I think the criticism of those who haven't attended is ridiculous. Rashford I can understand to an extent, but even then there may have been a discussion amongst Southgate and the England leadership team and decided that only one England player would or could attend, and that would be Maguire..

ETH could be attending a wedding of someone close, some kind of medical procedure for him or someone close. I doubt he's skipping the funeral to go cycling back in the Netherlands.

Most of the current players will likely have had minimal interaction with Sir Bobby anyway, just seems a bit needless to jump on individuals when we don't know who was invited and their reasons for not attending.

I think the criticism of those who haven't attended is ridiculous. Rashford I can understand to an extent, but even then there may have been a discussion amongst Southgate and the England leadership team and decided that only one England player would or could attend, and that would be Maguire..

ETH could be attending a wedding of someone close, some kind of medical procedure for him or someone close. I doubt he's skipping the funeral to go cycling back in the Netherlands.

Most of the current players will likely have had minimal interaction with Sir Bobby anyway, just seems a bit needless to jump on individuals when we don't know who was invited and their reasons for not attending.

You go out of respect for everything he stood for and not whether you had a lot of contact with him.

You may as well say they should forget about going to any more memorials for Munich either as they don't know anyone who was there.

There's no excuse for not going it's Manchester there's planes in and out.

I remember Jose got a lot of criticism when he showed up to a Munich memorial without wearing a tie.

Erik not going to this is really shameful

I’m not condemning or judging either man, but I would have expected our manager and captain to be present. It’s disappointing that neither were.

Fair play to Shawberto and Maguire for showing up to pay their respects. I reckon many folks got Harry wrong as captain. He gets it.

Rest in peace, Sir Bobby.

You go out of respect for everything he stood for and not whether you had a lot of contact with him.

You may as well say they should forget about going to any more memorials for Munich either as they don't know anyone who was there.

There's no excuse for not going it's Manchester there's planes in and out.

I remember Jose got a lot of criticism when he showed up to a Munich memorial without wearing a tie.

Erik not going to this is really shameful
We don't know why he couldn't make it. There are plenty of legitimate reasons as to why he was unable to go. Maybe he skipped it for something silly but seem ridiculous to be upset at someone for not attending a funeral without knowing why.

It's not ridiculous at all.

The manager, captain and star player were all absent. It's pathetic

I thank God that I was lucky to see the great triumvirate of Best, Law and Charlton play live. Sleep tight, Sir Bobby, and thanks for the memories

Bit silly to start moaning about who is or isn't present at a funeral - does it really matter?

Today is just about Sir Bobby Charlton so keep petty opinions to yourself
Well said, sir. I sometimes despair.

There's enormous responsibilities that come with being Manchester United manager and captain, and they don't just stop with on field duties. You're ambassadors of the club at the highest level, and it's disgusting that neither attended yesterday.

During their time here, both would have had countless interactions with the great man. These aren't everyday folk, these are people who have enormous wealth at their disposal, who have the means to jump on a private jet at a moments notice. I'll never believe Portugal were unwilling to give Bruno special dispensation to join up 24 hours later, and I question how important a prior engagement can be if it's so long standing.

I'm sure the Ten Hag cult on here will see this as a point scoring opportunity, but from what I can see - it's just the decent thing to do. This is a man who survived the Munich disaster, only to play again for us that very season, and our manager and captain can't even turn up to show their respects.

Being our most senior player that's come through the academy, this extends to Rashford too.

Massive respect lost for all three.

There's enormous responsibilities that come with being Manchester United manager and captain, and they don't just stop with on field duties. You're ambassadors of the club at the highest level, and it's disgusting that neither attended yesterday.

During their time here, both would have had countless interactions with the great man. These aren't everyday folk, these are people who have enormous wealth at their disposal, who have the means to jump on a private jet at a moments notice. I'll never believe Portugal were unwilling to give Bruno special dispensation to join up 24 hours later, and I question how important a prior engagement can be if it's so long standing.

I'm sure the Ten Hag cult on here will see this as a point scoring opportunity, but from what I can see - it's just the decent thing to do. This is a man who survived the Munich disaster, only to play again for us that very season, and our manager and captain can't even turn up to show their respects.

Being our most senior player that's come through the academy, this extends to Rashford too.

Sir Bob has been ill with dementia for a number of years, I would be surprised if Eth met him since becoming manager.

They were both out of the country.

International players didn't attend because they have actual football games to prepare for in different countries. The manager didn't attend because he had personal commitments, which are none of your business. That's should be the end of the discussion and the club was still abundantly represented regardless, so it makes no difference unless you're witch-finding for imagined signs of disrespect.

Please stop derailing the thread with the creepy, entitled takes. You're all making it sound like some weird Poppy-like obligation rather than a funeral.

Last edited:
Worrying about what others do and being offended on others behalf's is the worst thing in recent history.

If somebody doesn't go then so what? It has no effect on your personal life.

Sir Bobby was a legend, the biggest of them all but you don't need to attend to understand that, most of us did it via Sky Sports News.

International players didn't attend because they have actual football games to prepare for in different countries. The manager didn't attend because he had personal commitments, which are none of your business. That's should be the end of the discussion and the club was still abundantly represented regardless, so it makes no difference unless you're witch-finding for imagined signs of disrespect.

Please stop derailing the thread with the creepy, entitled takes. You're all making it sound like some weird Poppy-like obligation rather than a funeral.

Honestly, I'd be ok with it, but the manager did get an apology from Rashford for celebrating his birthday after a loss - he had a personal commitment that wasn't EtH's business. So, expecting EtH to prioritize this over his personal commitment is just asking him to maintain those standards.

Honestly, I'd be ok with it, but the manager did get an apology from Rashford for celebrating his birthday after a loss - he had a personal commitment that wasn't EtH's business. So, expecting EtH to prioritize this over his personal commitment is just asking him to maintain those standards.

We have no idea what his personal commitment is. I highly doubt it's a piss up.

Sir Bob has been ill with dementia for a number of years, I would be surprised if Eth met him since becoming manager.

They were both out of the country.
He doesn’t need to have met him. He’s at United, he must know what this man meant to the club, not only as a player. He was part of the fabric of the club, which is now slowly being erased. I find is strange that the manager, the captain and the Mancunian striker through and through miss a huge occasion like this to pay their respects. It’s not a good look.

I doubt you had any respect for ETH anyway given your ETH cult line.

The lack of respect people have for the personal lives of famous people will never fail to be utterly shocking and just shows them to be completely immature people
There's planes in and out of Manchester you know... And stuff.

We have no idea what his personal commitment is. I highly doubt it's a piss up.

Well he’s apparently not going straight to link up with the England squad either due to personal reasons. So I imagine it’s to do with his dickhead brother.

I agree it's incredibly disappointing from the club that our manager and captain weren't in attendance.

That does seem very unlikely?

This isn't some free for all event people can just rock up to, no doubt the club had a set number of attendees they could put forward and if Harry and Luke were deemed to have a stronger relationship with Sir Bobby than Bruno and Rashford take why shouldn't that take precedence over the good PR? For all we know Sir Bobby's family may have specifically identified the players they wanted at the service and Bruno and Rashford weren't on that list. Maybe if the club had demanded more current players went then some of the former players would've had to miss out. Why should Bruno attend over Ashley Young or Roy Keane, they've all captained the club, Sir Bobby's history spans decades, in many ways the current club captain should be way below many of the previous captains that served throughout Sir Bobby's lifetime

Huge international news it may be but more than that it's a families farewell to their loved one. Scrutinising the guestlist, especially without any background information on its formation is in very bad taste imo and another example of the Internet looking for beef where there is none to be had

That does seem very unlikely?
I think it would have been unlikely but you never know with these things. I think it's now been ruled out anyway. Rashford joined the England squad late for 'personal reasons'.

To be honest, given the fanfare around the club and manager, I wouldn't be surprised if there was some kind of private event for club staff. Nothing more disrespectful in my mind than papers going to a funeral to then poke fun or make the story about ETH or Rashford etc. Sir Bobby wasn't just a footballer, it looked a lovely ceremony which focused on what it should have done.