Sir Bobby Charlton has died

freddie the red

Sir Bobby was and always will be a part of the fabric and rich tapestry of this, our great club, Manchester United.
As a fan since a kid in '67 he was one of my first footballing heroes and of course I've seen all the good and bad since then but Bobby was a constant during all those times.
A true footballing legend, an icon of the game worldwide, United's greatest player of all time and a gentleman.
Rest in peace Sir Bobby.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks

Ahead of Manchester United’s 1-0 win over Everton (2016) , Sir Bobby Charlton’s stand was unveiled.

Louis van Gaal has sung the praises of the United legend and discussed how he felt seeing the fans paying tribute to Charlton.​

It was fantastic. It was a privilege to see how, in the English culture, they respect all the players – it’s marvellous to see. And when you see a standing ovation for Sir Bobby, some tears are in my eyes. I liked it very much and I think he deserved it. I watched Sir Bobby and Jimmy Greaves [as a child], who were idols for me at that time. Then I met him on my first day as manager here at Old Trafford and I was very honoured. So he was always in my mind and when I saw the standing ovation today, it was clear he is always in the mind of the fans. I have spoken with him [Sir Bobby] and also told the players we must get a victory today, otherwise this is not such a happy day for him anymore.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
All those long range strikes are even more impressive when you consider the ball back then probably weighed about 3 stone!

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
I got to meet him once, he was in NZ for the 1999 U17 world cup. It was a chance meeting a day before a game where he and his wife were being shown around one of the stadiums. He was so polite and friendly, chatted to me for a full 5 minutes or so. He was quite a bit smaller than I expected which I thought was interesting given how huge a player he was. I did the fan thing and got my cap autographed. He was genuinely excited at seeing the future stars of the game. We even spoke briefly about Michael Essien who had impressed him.
One of those times when meeting one of your heroes exceeds expectation.

redmanx

I first saw Sir Bobby when my father took me to see United at Spurs in 1963; we won and Denis Law scored a hat trick and became my #1 Hero! To be honest I cant remember much of Bobby in that game but it wasnt too long before I came to realise just how magnificent he was. I witnessed some of his greatest goals, both for United and England but, being very young, I didnt get the chance to see him in the 66 World Cup or the 68 European Cup final. I was at Stamford Bridge for Bobbys last match against Chelsea in 1973, and the outburst of love from both sets of supporters was incredible. All over the world, the name Bobby Charlton stood for wonderful sportsmanship and magnificent ability.

Tribec

Legend, Hero, Role Model, Ambassador, Gentleman are but a few words that describe Sir Bobby Charlton. All of them true, only a few have given more than he did for our club. He took over Sir Matt's role as "father" of the club and did so with ease. Our club will not forget him, we won't allow it to either.
I saw him play in a testimonial long after he had retired, but I can't recall the game as I couldn't be no more than 5 or 6. I do recall my god father introducing him to me and shaking his hand that day though. Nothing more about that day sticks out. I wish I had been able to watch him with George and Denis, but would give anything to have been able to watch him with the Babes.

I doubt we'll ever see another player/person like him at the club again.

Swiss_Red89

National TV in Switzerland just showed Avram fecking Glazers sitting in the stands near to Fergie and described him as Sir Bobby in the sequence. Fecking Idiots :lol: I'm ready to place a complaint.

RIP Sir Bobby Charlton.

Cantonagotmehere

Thanks to Red Cafe, for educating me about his history etc.. This a great place for tough times like this. Appreciate the website color change too, I know it's a small gesture but it makes you remember when you are here. RIP Sir Bobby.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
@harms The Guardian have used your montage of Sir Bobby in their obituary for him.

I've watched the whole thing, and I still haven't got a clue which was his stronger foot, let alone when he starts taking corners with both at the end. What an incredible player.
Thanks for the tag!

Yeah, what an incredible player he was. Left foot, right foot, inside or outside of the boot — it didn't matter to him at all. And watching him glide with the ball, seemingly above the horribly muddy pitches that he was playing on, was such a marvelous sight!

Pearson

I am proud of having Sir Bobby as a legend for my club.

It is saddening as it makes me feel that is an end of an era that may never come back. That kind of old-school football values. Loyalty, humbleness, that kind of connection with fans and the community the club represent.

I am on the other side of the globe, but the light emanated from his humanity shine through. He is an icon that everyone looks up to.

JeffFromHK

RIP Sir Bobby
Outside of football pitch he was also deeply engaged in charitable and humanitarian causes
a true gentleman of football

Last edited:

Xtrmntr

Bobby Charlton walks into any team that's ever been, past or present.

As a man, all you hear is good things about him over the course of his long life,no negatives at all.

Possibly the greatest football story ever as he recovered from the mental and physical trauma of Munich to win the lot as the best player at both United and for England

What an example of how to live a life.

Rest in Peace Sir Bobby Charlton

Wilt

Thanks for the tag!

Yeah, what an incredible player he was. Left foot, right foot, inside or outside of the boot — it didn't matter to him at all. And watching him glide with the ball, seemingly above the horribly muddy pitches that he was playing on, was such a marvelous sight!
@harms Just watched your Sir Bobby montage.

Truly wonderful, thank you.

Oranges038

Thanks for the tag!

Watching that video, what a player, his ball playing off both feet was phenomenal. The way he just glides across the pitch looks so effortless.

One thing that strikes me most is how he always just had the little look before he got the ball, almost like he had a third eye with the amount of time and space he would find and the little touches to play other people close to him. He knew where everyone was and what he was going to do before he got the ball. And even before he shoots, he just takes a split second to set himself before he strikes the ball.

Anyone who got to see him play live in his pomp was blessed to witness such a player.

Snoopygossip

I read a comment somewhere, can't remember where on account of my age.

"If a football club has a soul and if that soul has a face, the face on the soul of Manchester United would be that of Sir Bobby Charlton. R.I.P.

decorativeed

One of the most memorable moments in my career was working on an exhibition about the 1966 World Cup, when Sir Bobby came to the opening. I was able to wander around and chat to the guests and see them interact with the displays, and I stood watching while Sir Bobby and Lady Norma Charlton, Roger Hunt, Jimmy Armfield and others took a seat in the cinema space I'd had made - complete with retro 1960s fold down chairs and posters - to watch footage of the final and the squad's visit to a London cinema the day after the final.

Sir Bobby remained standing throughout it, and as the video ended, I watched him remove his glasses and wipe away a tear, clearly as emotional about the events now as he had been 50 years earlier. That's something I'll hopefully never forget.

A few weeks later, I stood at the side of the stage at Wembley Arena exactly 50 years on from the final, and as they replayed the footage of the match, Sir Bobby stood a yard or two away from me waiting to go up onto the stage. He was watching the video intently, and you could see him physically reliving every movement from half a century previously, with perfectly timed mini-kicks and micro-headers.

After the event, I had a few moments with him and Lady Norma, and I asked him about the story of him using his spare time on the morning of the final to return a pair of trousers at a shop in Golders Green, which we had mentioned in the exhibition. He shook his head and said "I was just buying a pair of trousers". Lady Norma wearily interjected and told me that the some of the other players had come up with that story to tease him and they had repeated it for years at after dinner speaking events. Sir Bobby whistfully nodded: "Aye, I was just buying them, lad. I'll see you later".

RIP Sir Bobby.

Denis79

Didn't think it would affect me as much as this did. Never saw him play, I am too young for that but I grew up with stories of his greatness.

gaffs

This thread is bringing tears to my eyes. Wonderful tribute. The Caf and its members have done Sir Bobby proud.

RIP Sir Bobby Charlton. The embodiment of everything that is good about Manchester United.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Does Charlton deserve a statue outside Wembley?

I know Bobby Moore was iconic as capitan but Charlton is probably the greatest English player of all time and held the goal scoring record for some time.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I met him once - very briefly. Outside the old Highfield Road in Coventry, in a parking lot. I had arrived stupidly early for an away match, a league match (I'm pretty sure), this would have been in the late 90s or thereabouts.

Anyway, a few United fans were hanging around that parking lot, outside the old stadium, hours before the match. And then a car pulled up...and Bobby Charlton emerged.

He exchanged a few remarks with the little group of fans there, and then shook our hands before going inside.

All things considered *, the greatest United player ever.

May he rest in peace.

* ETA That choice of words may make it seem as though I think it's a debate. But there is no debate, as far as I'm concerned: He is the greatest United player ever, and it's not particularly close either when you consider all things/all factors. That's what I meant.

Last edited:

Red the Bear

Something less generic

I know Bobby Moore was iconic as capitan but Charlton is probably the greatest English player of all time and held the goal scoring record for some time.
It wouldn't be out of place to be honest, he's probably the greatest English player after all.

Lyng

Nice to see the tribute by different teams all over europe. Just goes to show what kind of player and man Sir Bobby Charlton was. He was United through and through, but only the best of United. The definition of what any United player should aim to be and a the definition of what United should be all about.
I think us fans need to think about what we can do to get back to what we used to be. Instead of fighting amongst ourselfs.
For me, at least, the passing of Sir Bobby Charlton has been a very sobering moment, something that has really made me think about why I, as a random danish kid, fell in love with a team so far away from my home.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
It really is hard to comprehend what he went through at Munich and how he managed to have any kind of career after that. The fact he did so much in the following 10 years is ridiculous.

I really hope the team pull their collective finger out over the next week (especially Sunday). A backs against the wall win over that lot in front of a bouncing Old Trafford would be a fitting tribute

weizxx

Very sad. Thought he was older than Sir Alex and my father (both born 1941) a lot. Just noticed he was only 4 years older. So so sad. RIP.

Scriblerus

Not just a proper football, but a proper man. I saw him late in this career when we were struggling, and he was still a class above. My mum & dad saw him at the start with the Babes - who were all a class apart. RIP.

Infra-red

That's a great picture. The banner on the Caf is a nice tribute, too. The word 'legend' gets thrown around a lot, especially in the world of sport, but for Charlton, it is absolutely fitting. Synonymous with the club we all love, the greatest English player of all time and a genuinely amazing man. RIP.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Such sad news. To an outsider, he was always seen as Mr Manchester United. He was him, as the kids like to say. He truly was.

RIP, good sir. Huge condolences to his family and everyone at United who knew him and cherished him.

CtRafidah

He should, well deserved. But i think most likely the FA will rename some part of St George's Park football center or erect a statue there.

Last edited:

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!

And i think that at the time friendly games were not considered for the players' goals or appearances.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
E-mail from the club in last few mins:

We're inviting fans to support us in commemorating Sir Bobby Charlton, who sadly passed away on Saturday.

Following close discussions with Sir Bobby’s family, we will be remembering his legacy at all our upcoming club fixtures, outlined below:

We will honour and remember Sir Bobby at our men’s first team game against F.C. Copenhagen tomorrow through a special pre-match tribute which will conclude with a minute’s silence before kick-off. Turnstiles will be open from 6pm, please arrive early to take your seats and pay your respects. A wreath will be in place on Sir Bobby’s seat within the Director’s Box, players and staff will wear black armbands and Sir Bobby will be remembered on the cover of the matchday programme.

Sir Bobby will also be commemorated at our UEFA Youth League fixture tomorrow afternoon at Leigh Sports Village – a fitting tribute given his long association with our Academy.

Tomorrow, the book of condolence will be available for fans to leave messages and memories in the International Suite between 10am – 4pm. Those wishing to sign the book can also do so today until 10pm and then between 10am – 10pm on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday in the International Suite. An online book of condolence is also available to sign.

At our Premier League game against Manchester City on Sunday, we will celebrate the life of Sir Bobby with a minute’s applause and expressions of fan remembrance with flags and surfer banners in the stadium. Further information on Sunday's game will be communicated later this week.

Our women’s first team remembered Sir Bobby at their WSL fixture yesterday afternoon against Everton, with a minute’s silence observed ahead of the game and players in black armbands.

We'd like to thank everyone for all their support over recent days and for ensuring we can remember Sir Bobby in such a dignified and respectful manner.

decorativeed

And i think that at the time friendly games were not considered for the players' goals or appearances.
They played very few friendlies/exhibition matches during Charlton's time, as there were regular, competitive British Home Championship matches every season.