Sir Bobby Charlton has died

Demon Barber

Probably the most complete player I have ever seen. Sir Bobby could do it all - right foot, left foot, headers, dribbles, long passes, nutmegs, defensive tackles, surges from back to front.

I did not see him in his prime but he scored in my first game at OT in September 1969.

R.I.P. legend.

Matt Varnish

"I'd like to think I've passed on a few things people will remember me for"
Sir Bobby Charlton

Such a humble inspiring man.
RIP Sir Bobby

Tyrion

I've avoided this thread because it was too depressing. I never saw him play but he was part of the club's and the sport's history and it's gutting to see him go. The club would be spoiled if it ever has as good an ambassador of what it could represent as he has been.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Someone's chopping onions nearby I think
They must be, yeah.

(I like Squires in general, not least because he knows how to balance the comedy/satire part and...the other part. In this case, the other part is all there is - obviously - and he nailed it rather beautifully.)

UTD_Since_1978

Been working a lot since Saturday so only now been able to come on here & say how sad I am by this awful news, Sir Bobby Charlton was a true legend of football.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Someone's chopping onions nearby I think

That's beautiful. I remember when Bowie died, someone said it was like being told that a certain colour no longer existed. When figures have been a part of your life for as long as you can remember, that is how it feels. Something that seemed eternal is gone and can't be replaced.

Moriarty

It's only really just hit me now that Bobby is gone. Spend the weekend reliving memories of him. April 1965 and my first United away game with my dad. We beat Blackburn 5-0 and Bobby scored a hat trick. Saw him lift the title in 1965 and again in 1967 but the greatest memory has to be watching him lift the European Cup at Wembley. Grown men wept as the lads did a lap of honour. I remember his last season and the presentations made to him as well as his last league goal for United at The Dell. His departure left a vacuum but he was getting on a bit then and he saved Tommy Doc an unpleasant task by retiring. Now he's gone and he won't be seen again and the thought of that breaks my heart.

SoCross

Hope the emotion and what it means to be a Manchester United player gets through to the team.

RIP.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
In a bizarre way, I've found this thread uplifting.

Despite all the infighting, it's great that our wonderful history does occasionally bring us together and remind us we all bother in the first place.

Jacko21

Watch this a few times since last night. Really nicely done from the club, with echoes of how Sir Matt was honoured.

This is what Manchester United should be about.

TheReligion

Abusive

Watch this a few times since last night. Really nicely done from the club, with echoes of how Sir Matt was honoured.

Absolute class

The club gets a lot of stick but this is why it will always outlast the Glazers and never be defined by their ownership.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
I want to add how impeccable the away fans were last night,

just shows the respect the great man earned from the footballing family..

The-Mezzala

He is to Manchester United what Cruyff is to Ajax, Beckenbauer is to Bayern , Maldini to Milan. An absolute Icon. Won it all and from the clips I saw online could do it all on the pitch. RIP Bobby. Your legacy will never be forgotten

mark_a

This was very moving in the ground as 73,000+ people were silent & the bagpiper wasn't going through the PA or anything. So you could hear this distant but clear sound in the cold Manchester air, as he walked across the pitch.

mark_a

Absolute class

The club gets a lot of stick but this is why it will always outlast the Glazers and never be defined by their ownership.
It's a measure of the club that it's survived the Glazers. In many ways, it's survived much worse. But in the modern era, this has really tested the club. But the spirit of United remains. There are actual tangible reasons it was referred to as "the family club", and yes, these are historic now but what built us can't be taken away. Clearly the game has changed and you can't live in the past in terms of financing/ownership. Sometimes it's good to remember (or be reminded) that people throughout the years, at any point in our history have thought that both football and United "weren't what they used to be in" both on and off the pitch. Read some papers from the 50's: TV coverage was going to spell the end of football etc.

Frank Grimes

Listening to a great podcast with Johnny Giles and Eamonn Dunphy (The Stand Football Show).

Giles doesn't give out praise easily but he has no hesitation in saying Charlton was the best player he played with and against. Well worth a listen.

jackal&hyde

Rest in peace and condolences to the family! No idea what to say in all honesty but I'll try; I've seen him at games, I have books about him and his generation; he was like the living history at the club and for the club. He lived a long and very eventful life, with major highs and some really sad lows, the football and even more then that, personal tragedy, the life of Sir Bobby Charlton might just be the story of Manchester United to a very large degree.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

Very sad. I think at his age this was just as likely as dying from natural causes.

Yagami

Good post resistant
That makes it even sadder. My grandad had a nasty fall recently and I'm so thankful that it wasn't any worse than what it was. It is scary to think that all it takes is a loss of someone's balance.

"But this is a club, above all, that knows that life goes on" is both a beautiful and sad quote. :(

The respect shown by both United and Everton fans in the videos comment section is very heartwarming.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

Very sad. I think at his age this was just as likely as dying from natural causes.
Brain bleeds from falls and pneumonia are very common causes of death for older people with dementia. My dad died due to both.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss

Just come across this reported on BBC. Obviously he was very frail and unwell with his dementia but this is a shocking update. Feels like he went ‘before his time’ unnecessarily. It’s also a terrible undignified way to go for such a great man. Horrible cruel disease. So very sad.

Camilo

Just come across this reported on BBC. Obviously he was very frail and unwell with his dementia but this is a shocking update. Feels like he went ‘before his time’ unnecessarily. It’s also a terrible undignified way to go for such a great man. Horrible cruel disease. So very sad.
When you're old, this is just another natural way to die.