g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Sir Bobby Charlton has died

JackRowley

The Glazer family should be there today to see what this football club means to the fans. The man Bobby Charlton, will be always remembered for what he did for the club and country for ever.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
I hadn’t realised that he was the last living link to Munich too. What an extraordinary life, touched by both glory and tragedy.
A life well-lived, without a doubt. Legendary.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
BBC coverage all over the shop. Very somber pictures though. RIP.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
So sad.... I'm feeling it

Tiber

There are a lot of the older players, even fergie who won't be around these events all that much longer. Very sobering day

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
There are a lot of the older players, even fergie who won't be around these events all that much longer. Very sobering day
Indeed. A very sad day and a sobering thought.

My abiding memory of the Munich Air Disaster, for which Sir Bobby Charlton will always be associated with is that the Manchester United side actually managed to get to the the FA Cup Final that year, although they lost to Bolton Wanderers I believe and Sir Bobby Charlton played in that match.

RedUnited86

Puts a poor season thus far into proper context. A sad day, and so many old faces on show too. RIP Bobby.

buchansleftleg

This is the first time in a while that I've missed being in Manchester. Wish I could be there to celebrate his life....this truly feels like the end of an era, looking at the past players and Sir Alex...really wish I could have been there today.

JB7

Hayley McQueen just interviewing Lou Macari and she brought up about her dad, was very emotional.
Yes, I've thought a number of times how difficult today must be for her and she's doing an incredible job.

manichester

A few years ago I was in a tiny village abroad, a local chap asked me where I was from and when I told him Manchester a huge grin appeared on his face and in the only English words he new he exclaimed Bobby Charlton!

TSop

Supports
Altrincham
Mate was there today.. 4 first team players showed up... VERY VERY POOR

Marcelinho87

Seems like a lame excuse, especially for players playing in UK and Europe. Isn't the first international game 3 days away?
depends if they have been allowed to break from the group or not, many reasons as to why they aren’t there.

don’t understand the need to worry about who is or isn’t there.

watch, remember and take in the moment without looking for negatives.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
No they shouldn't. Their presence will overshadow a funeral of a great man.
Yes they should, they are the club owners whether we like it or not, if their presence overshadowed the funeral then that would be on any protesting fans and the media

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Seems like a lame excuse, especially for players playing in UK and Europe. Isn't the first international game 3 days away?
That's a little unfair, the great man himself would have said go and play for your country, and secondly there are repercussions for players (and clubs) who don't turn up for international duty, with the cnuts in charge of international football you can bet they'd enforce their rules

RedDevil@84

That's a little unfair, the great man himself would have said go and play for your country, and secondly there are repercussions for players (and clubs) who don't turn up for international duty, with the cnuts in charge of international football you can bet they'd enforce their rules
I doubt they are that strict, given the occasion. I would be surprised if Southgate would say he cant allow Rashford to attend a ceremony for a few hours for a legend of the country. I would have expected at least the the team captain and local lad Rashford to be out there at least.

And as I said, it is not like they are missing the game. They are just missing some training sessions if any.

Yagami

Good post resistant
It's a sad day but I do love how, I don't know, grand it felt. The public, past United greats, our current players who aren't on international duty, academy players and just other footballers in general all showing up was beautiful. I feel like this is not only showing how important he was to our club or the sport in general, but the country itself with the coverage it's received.

The only thing that's a shame is that it happened when the majority of our squad were away on international duty. I'd have loved for them all to be there alongside ten Hag, but what can you do.

UnitedFan93

Both the Manager and club Captain not turning up at the funeral of arguably the greatest legend in the club's history is extremely disappointing. Very poor and reflects terribly on both.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
I doubt they are that strict, given the occasion. I would be surprised if Southgate would say he cant allow Rashford to attend a ceremony for a few hours for a legend of the country. I would have expected at least the the team captain and local lad Rashford to be out there at least.

And as I said, it is not like they are missing the game. They are just missing some training sessions if any.
We're talking about the people who gave a WC to Qatar and played it in the winter - I'd not put it past them.

Southgate himself was there but we don't know the reasons why the likes of Rashford weren't, I would hope that all the players would have wanted to be there and that there are reasons beyond their control as to why they weren't, if there aren't any then I'm not sure that we, as fans, would/should want them at the club any longer, EtH wasn't there either, he had a prior engagement in The Netherlands that apparently he couldn't get out of

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
We're talking about the people who gave a WC to Qatar and played it in the winter - I'd not put it past them.

Southgate himself was there but we don't know the reasons why the likes of Rashford weren't, I would hope that all the players would have wanted to be there and that there are reasons beyond their control as to why they weren't, if there aren't any then I'm not sure that we, as fans, would/should want them at the club any longer, EtH wasn't there either, he had a prior engagement in The Netherlands that apparently he couldn't get out of
If Maguire is there, no reason Rashford can't.

I'd also say the current coaching staff should have been there - EtH, irrespective of how important his prior commitment was, Mcclaren and Van Der Gaag

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
Both the Manager and club Captain not turning up at the funeral of arguably the greatest legend in the club's history is extremely disappointing. Very poor and reflects terribly on both.
I agree. It's a disgrace.

That being said, a proper tribute from the players would have been putting in a better display against city and not giving up when we went 1-0 down.

The Oracle

Perplexed as to why our current manager Erik ten Hag, our club captain Bruno Fernandes, and our local Manchester star Marcus Rashford, were not in attendance at today's funeral of arguably the most important player in our club's history - for his amazing talents on the pitch and his exemplary behaviour off it - the late great Sir Bobby Charlton.

No only perplexed... also very disappointed.

pacifictheme

I doubt Eth has even met him considering how long Sir Bob has had health issues. I have no issue with none of them being there, Ferguson was there and he has a personal relationship with him as well as being a link to united.

Edit: if Maguire was there but the others were not then that is bizarre and a bit weird.

poleglass red

Perplexed as to why our current manager Erik ten Hag, our club captain Bruno Fernandes, and our local Manchester star Marcus Rashford, were not in attendance at today's funeral of arguably the most important player in our club's history - for his amazing talents on the pitch and his exemplary behaviour off it - the late great Sir Bobby Charlton.

ETH had a ‘unbreakable and long-standing personal commitment’ in the Netherlands. Bruno of on international duty.

Tom Van Persie

No relation

ten Hag wasn't there due to an unbreakable commitment in the Netherlands. How can you have a go at him? You don't know what his commitment is. Bruno wasn't there because he's away in Portugal on international duty.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
If Maguire is there, no reason Rashford can't.

I'd also say the current coaching staff should have been there - EtH, irrespective of how important his prior commitment was, Mcclaren and Van Der Gaag
If Maguire was there and Rashford wasn't then there's no excuse whatsoever on Rashford's part, I haven't seen the coverage so who was and wasn't there I don't know except for who I saw in the stills on the BBC

poleglass red

If Maguire was there and Rashford wasn't then there's no excuse whatsoever on Rashford's part, I haven't seen the coverage so who was and wasn't there I don't know except for who I saw in the stills on the BBC
I think only 4 of the current squad were there. Evans, Heaton, Maguire and Shaw. It said the rest were on international duty, but then wouldn't Maguire be away also?