Sir Bobby Charlton has died

UnitedFan93

ETH had a ‘unbreakable and long-standing personal commitment’ in the Netherlands. Bruno of on international duty.
Interesting to know what the 'unbreakable and long-standing commitment' is. Obviously isn't a family emergency. Think Ten Hag needs to clarify this as it looks awful to the fanbase. Bruno should also be there. Portugal don't play until Thursday and he could quite easily have stayed in Manchester a day longer and jumped on a private jet straight after the funeral to Portugal.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
I think only 4 of the current squad were there. Evans, Heaton, Maguire and Shaw. It said the rest were on international duty, but then wouldn't Maguire be away also?
Which begs the question as to why Rashford wasn't there, and for that matter the other injured members of the squad

AaronRedDevil

What a life he lived. So many great milestones and a survivor. They’ll never be another like him.

cyberman

Interesting to know what the 'unbreakable and long-standing commitment' is. Obviously isn't a family emergency. Think Ten Hag needs to clarify this as it looks awful to the fanbase. Bruno should also be there. Portugal don't play until Thursday and he could quite easily have stayed in Manchester a day longer and jumped on a private jet straight after the funeral to Portugal.
Policing grief is the worst acceptable habit our society has developed

Cerberus

Surviving Munich to go on and become a World Cup and European Cup winner just blows my mind. Incredible man.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
I don't disagree with the sentiment but when Portugal play is irrelevant, players have to turn up at a specified time when selected, by not doing so a player is basically banned from playing for his club, now you'd think the powers that be would be sensible about something like this but these days I wouldn't bet on it

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
For some of you guys, this is clearly bigger and more important than a religion...

SuperiorXI

Interesting to know what the 'unbreakable and long-standing commitment' is. Obviously isn't a family emergency. Think Ten Hag needs to clarify this as it looks awful to the fanbase.
No he doesn't. You have no idea what you're talking about. Stop looking for negatives, this day is about remembering Sir Bobby.

It feels as though some "top reds" are using it to point score.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I think only 4 of the current squad were there. Evans, Heaton, Maguire and Shaw. It said the rest were on international duty, but then wouldn't Maguire be away also?
As Southgate was there he might have agreed that Maguire could go. Evans and Shaw are injured anyway.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
ten Hag doesn't need to explain himself. Portugal don't play until Thursday but they reported today.

Uniquim

Love that a lot of former players and stuff turned up. Brian McClair, Mark Hughes, Steve Bruce, Bryan Robson, Peter Schmeichel, Paul Scholes, Ryan Giggs, Nicky Butt, Jim Ryan, Neil Ryan, Mike Phelan, Sir Alex, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, Roy Keane, Andy Cole, Brian Kidd, David Gill, Alex Stepney, Michael Carrick, Richard Hartis, Darren Fletcher. Probably missed a few.

Some former opponents too with Emilio Butragueño, Alan Kennedy, Peter Ridsdale.
And all the people lining the route and applauding the cortège.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Also they couldn't invite every single players who has either played with him or has played for Manchester United. The family will have wanted people there who were friends or family and there were also mourners from all areas of the football world, including the media. It is up to the family who goes, not us.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
This is a weird comment.

UnitedFan93

No he doesn't. You have no idea what you're talking about. Stop looking for negatives, this day is about remembering Sir Bobby.

It feels as though some "top reds" are using it to point score.
Simply asking why the manager of Manchester United cannot attend the funeral of United's greatest ambassador is now deemed to be point scoring by a 'top red' is absolutely hilarious. Seems like the default response to anyone who questions anything on here.

Aretak

Simply asking why the manager of Manchester United cannot attend the funeral of United's greatest ambassador is now deemed to be point scoring by a 'top red' is absolutely hilarious. Seems like the default response to anyone who questions anything on here.
It's none of your business. Or mine. It's been stated that he had something he had to attend to and that's all anyone needs to know. There's zero reasonable cause to question the importance of his personal affairs. The man is entitled to a private life that doesn't entirely revolve around Manchester United.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
It's none of your business. Or mine. It's been stated that he had something he had to attend to and that's all anyone needs to know. There's zero reasonable cause to question the importance of his personal affairs. The man is entitled to a private life that doesn't entirely revolve around Manchester United.
Agreed, for all I know it could be one of his kid's birthday or a PTA meeting - whatever it was has bugger all to do with me or anyone else

UnitedFan93

Fair enough, levels of importance are different for each and every one of us.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Fair enough, levels of importance are different for each and every one of us.
You've never met Sir Bobby I'm sure. And I'm sure he means more to Ten Hag than to you. If he has a personal obligation, it's a personal obligation. That is all there is to it. He would be there if he could.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
It doesn't look awful for anything. It just is a personal thing. His job is to be manager of man United. From his personal life, he owes you or anybody else absolutely feck all. Same with any player.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Exactly right.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
100%.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

SuperiorXI

The last 40 seconds … he’d won literally everything but he had no side to him at all, he was just an out and out United fan like the rest of us.

”as the ball hits the net, for me it was if the world stood still”.

A great player and a great representative for and of our club.

https://x.com/tenhagball_/status/1724017134202700267?s=61&t=ZvGzfV2Qafn11jKrPfufuA
Brings a tear to the eye that. What a great man. After all his legendary exploits, he is a fan just like me and you and is emotionally attached to the club in the same way.