Sir Jim Ratcliffe: I want to buy Manchester United | Will make a bid for the club [Telegraph]

Cantonagotmehere

Agree, if United is for sale, there are many that would love to own one of the most famous assets (sorry for the word) in sports. Sports is one of the few things people still watch live and obviously all the ad revenue etc... etc..

FatTails

£5bn is insane and won’t ever happen. There’s not enough profit, assets, or growth to justify it. One can look at acquisitions historically and estimate what the true valuation should be, and I doubt it would be anywhere near that.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Aa long as they let us be a football club, I'd take it. But Ratcliffe is the preferred choice since he's actually a football fan.

AdNani

£5bn is insane and won’t ever happen. There’s not enough profit, assets, or growth to justify it. One can look at acquisitions historically and estimate what the true valuation should be, and I doubt it would be anywhere near that.
What Did Chelsea go for?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I think £4bn is realistic. Whoever buys the club will need an additional £1/1.5bn capital for investment

FatTails

I think £4bn is realistic. Whoever buys the club will need an additional £1/1.5bn capital for investment
Yeah closer to the truth. Rough math tells me something between 3.5 and 4 would do it, looking at EBITDA, market cap, assets, and liabilities (the debt!).

Sviken

Generally - you don't buy a football club for profit.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
If Chelsea can sell for £4.5bn then united are worth north of £5bn. Our stadium is the largest in the country and generates a lot of revenue from match days and merchandise. Our marketing team for sponsors is the best in the world, we will be selling sock space for names soon enough. We have the fan base to go with it and also the history and romance needed in world football.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
If Chelsea can sell for £4.5bn then united are worth north of £5bn. Our stadium is the largest in the country and generates a lot of revenue from match days and merchandise. Our marketing team for sponsors is the best in the world, we will be selling sock space for names soon enough. We have the fan base to go with it and also the history and romance needed in world football.
They didn't, it was like £2.5bn plus £1.5bn pledged for investment

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Isn’t there a very rich person in Dubai who is United mad? Or have I imagined that?
Not sure, but they're the obvious one now, right? Abu Dhabi, Qatar, Saudi's all have their Premier League clubs now, would be a big statement by them.

FatTails

Chelsea sold for £2.5B, with a commitment of investment into the club over a certain period of time. Considering their debt was to a person, who was partially waving it and not collecting interest, they didn’t have our liabilities.

I’d be surprised if we are sold for more than 4B. My guess it would be something between 3.5 and 4, if we are sold today, with a commitment of investing 1-1.5 over the next 5 to 10 years.

Sviken

with a commitment of investing 1-1.5 over the next 5 to 10 years.
Like the Glazers care bout commitment to investing in the club... Please, Glazers aren't selling this club for anything less than 5 billion and poke myself in the eyes if that happens. They rejected a 4 billion offer from the Saudis a few years ago, they want money and they want the big money. They couldn't give a crap what the next owners are going to invest or whatever.

Fluctuation0161

The family is collectively worth a few B so 166m to them is pocket change, it's like a really poor rate savers account.
You are disregarding the other points which add up to over £1bn being sucked out the club by them then?

Also, I forgot to add they sold shares worth £120 million last year, that went straight into their pockets without giving up any control.

Points is, United is the very definition of a cash cow to the Glazers. Could they be pushed to sell though, maybe.

Fluctuation0161

£166m over 6 years for that kind of asset is absolutely nothing. They'd be way better off selling and reinvesting
The club was bought for £790M and is now worth an estimated £5Bn. It all depends whether they think it can continue to increase in value in the next 5 - 10 years, while still being milked for cash.