Sir Jim reportedly deems ETH's position not a priority unless results are particularly dire - missed opportunity or the right decision?

Irwin99

Sacking EtH wouldn't exactly be a brave decision but I do wonder if the club has the courage to commit to a whole restructure which would include selling some key players who actually do have some market value. Guess we'll see in the summer.

Gordon Godot

Depends what their standard is, have they asked for CL football or just any sort of European football. If it is CL he will have to make the team perform out of their skin to get it.
Radcliffe hasnt just spent all that money for a team completely devoid of shape, ideas or excitement. It would take an unbeaten run to end of season to save his job and even then its not clear, and he may not work with a new football structure where he loses control of signings. And Jim will see this as a several year reset, so will be willing to take time to find the right next manager. But also crucially establish a structure that survives changes in manager

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Radcliffe hasnt just spent all that money for a team completely devoid of shape, ideas or excitement. It would take an unbeaten run to end of season to save his job and even then its not clear, and he may not work with a new football structure where he loses control of signings. And Jim will see this as a several year reset, so will be willing to take time to find the right next manager. But also crucially establish a structure that survives changes in manager
Your last point is the big one. We definitely need to decide what direction they want to go in and get a manager to fit it. We cannot keep bouncing from one style to another. If ETH has made a good argument for his way, then a DOF and his aides have to make sure we buy players that fit that way.

Last edited:

Chumpsbechumps

I’m Waiting to find out what cancer treatment I’m gonna be getting.Im sorry if I get narky with some posters, I’ve been really nervous about this. It’s funny , thinking about how frustrating it can be supporting a club but at the end of the day we all want the club to fi

I’m not from Manchester, I’m Irish but my dad bringing me to Eric Cantonas debut in 1992 will always hold a place in my heart.

I really do care about the club and how poorly it’s being run. It’s hard to just not care but it feels like the soul has been well and truly ripped apart by the yanks. I hope Sir Jim is buying the club because he actually cares.

Speaking with a friend who actually helps football clubs prepare their accounts for sale, he doesn’t believe SJR is buying to make a profit. It’s such a high risk thing particular at his age so he’s more than likely buying for different reasons. So even if it doesn’t work out, at least we have somebody above owners who don’t give a flying f**k.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I’m Waiting to find out what cancer treatment I’m gonna be getting.Im sorry if I get narky with some posters, I’ve been really nervous about this. It’s funny , thinking about how frustrating it can be supporting a club but at the end of the day we all want the club to fi

I’m not from Manchester, I’m Irish but my dad bringing me to Eric Cantonas debut in 1992 will always hold a place in my heart.

I really do care about the club and how poorly it’s being run. It’s hard to just not care but it feels like the soul has been well and truly ripped apart by the yanks. I hope Sir Jim is buying the club because he actually cares.

Speaking with a friend who actually helps football clubs prepare their accounts for sale, he doesn’t believe SJR is buying to make a profit. It’s such a high risk thing particular at his age so he’s more than likely buying for different reasons. So even if it doesn’t work out, at least we have somebody above owners who don’t give a flying f**k.
feck that's bad! I am sorry mate

devilish

Sacking EtH wouldn't exactly be a brave decision but I do wonder if the club has the courage to commit to a whole restructure which would include selling some key players who actually do have some market value. Guess we'll see in the summer.
Sacking ETH before appointing a sporting director is stupid. First of all it means that player power had won again. Secondly whose going to choose the next manager? Murtough? Joel? Brailsford? Comeon guys think!

AneRu

Very sorry to hear this. I wish you find a path to full recovery and the strength to see it through.

Irwin99

Sacking ETH before appointing a sporting director is stupid. First of all it means that player power had won again. Secondly whose going to choose the next manager? Murtough? Joel? Brailsford? Comeon guys think!
Errr, i'm actually still EtH in :lol: , I just wouldn't be surprised if sacking him happened and it wouldn't exactly be a shock or a controversial decision at this point.

The point i was making was I wonder just how committed the club would be to yet another rebuild when we have a history of failing to get rid of players that new managers don't like or aren't suited to their style. Is the next manager going to be told to make do with certain players who only seem to do well in a counter attack set up? Hopefully this time with a sporting director things will change and we get some direction.

devilish

Errr, i'm actually still EtH in :lol: , I just wouldn't be surprised if sacking him happened and it wouldn't exactly be a shock or a controversial decision at this point.

The point i was making was I wonder just how committed the club would be to yet another rebuild when we have a history of failing to get rid of players that new managers don't like or aren't suited to their style. Is the next manager going to be told to make do with certain players who only seem to do well in a counter attack set up? Hopefully this time with a sporting director things will change and we get some direction.
Ah ok. I won't be shocked if he's sacked and quite frankly it ain't tragic either. ETH has his share of blame on this + his rigidity and his obsession on players he know can be a problem. However its also true that

a- it inherited a dr jekyll and mr hyde with players who are as much comfortable in playing a high press system as Obama attending a Trump rally
b- United are an utter mess. We pick too many injuries, our recruitment department is a mess, departments don't talk with one another.....ffs we can't even cook chicken right.
c- A big chunk of ETH's criticism should either have been done before (ex something called discipline which seem to have gone missing under Ole) or should have been handled by someone else (ex recruitment)

Ultimately I'd love to see United acting as an adult for once. Let's get top football people in place and then they can decide whether the manager should stay or get sacked

Rista

Ultimately I'd love to see United acting as an adult for once. Let's get top football people in place and then they can decide whether the manager should stay or get sacked
If they are top football people there's only one thing they can do.

Someone

Something

Sorry to hear about this mate. Wish you a speedy recovery.

wolvored

Ratcliffe came to his first game since buying into Utd yesterday, so he isnt going to be making snap decisions until he has been ratified and put his team into place.
TH will probably be assessed at the end of the season and unless he somehow scrapes top 4 or wins the FA cup, he will be sacked then.
They will probably assess a new manager anyway, around March/April time, just in case.
I think we will probably have Potter as our next manager, as Brailsford has been reportedly keen on him for about a year and was looking at getting him in at Nice. This would suit the British core objective being reported Ratcliffe wants.

Roboc7

He’ll be here until the end of the season as it will probably make it a lot cheaper to sack him and it buys time to work on other appointments like DOF etc.

Even if being very optimistic won’t have a DOF in place until end of February and club is in limbo until everything is ratified. The other thing in Ten Hag’s favour is there isn’t even an obvious let alone outstanding candidate to replace him. I’ve no doubt this will be the last season for ETH but I expect him to be here for duration of it.

Woziak

He’ll be here until the end of the season as it will probably make it a lot cheaper to sack him and it buys time to work on other appointments like DOF etc.

Even if being very optimistic won’t have a DOF in place until end of February and club is in limbo until everything is ratified. The other thing in Ten Hag’s favour is there isn’t even an obvious let alone outstanding candidate to replace him. I’ve no doubt this will be the last season for ETH but I expect him to be here for duration of it.
Come the Summer Roberto De Zerbie, Xabi Alonso and Julien Naigelman might all be available to be interviewed?

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband

It's only a few weeks in the grand scheme of things. 17 league games and a couple of fa cup games until we play a decent side.

We can wait.

DSG

We may disagree at times, but being part of the United family and Caf family is more important. Really hope you get better and beat this!

Hoping for a positive 2nd half of the season to lift your spirits.

Chumpsbechumps

We may disagree at times, but being part of the United family and Caf family is more important. Really hope you get better and beat this!

Hoping for a positive 2nd half of the season to lift your spirits.
Thanks DSG

It was really positive news, cancer hasn’t spread and no treatment needed for moment.

Hopefully as you say the team starts improving on field for remainder of season. Gonna try and relax more regardless.

DSG

Thanks DSG

It was really positive news, cancer hasn’t spread and no treatment needed for moment.

Hopefully as you say the team starts improving on field for remainder of season. Gonna try and relax more regardless.
That’s great news. Reality is there are so many other things that are more important than football. Stay strong and sending positive thoughts your way.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Once we have a proper structure and the new management has assessed the club, he will be sacked unless a miracle happens. I was happy he joined but strange how fast it went downhill

lex talionis

Once we have a proper structure and the new management has assessed the club, he will be sacked unless a miracle happens. I was happy he joined but strange how fast it went downhill
It’s still somewhat of a mystery as to why it went downhill so fast. It wasn’t the injuries as our performances were dire in pre-season. Something went terribly wrong with the mentality of the squad during the frenetic transfer activity in June into July and we’ve never recovered from it.

Valencia Shin Crosses

It would be the biggest clue that things are actually changing for the better if the club bites the bullet and does it. If we get another summer of PR about "buillding around Bruno and Rashford" I won't really have much hope for much change.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Ratcliffe came to his first game since buying into Utd yesterday, so he isnt going to be making snap decisions until he has been ratified and put his team into place.
TH will probably be assessed at the end of the season and unless he somehow scrapes top 4 or wins the FA cup, he will be sacked then.
They will probably assess a new manager anyway, around March/April time, just in case.
I think we will probably have Potter as our next manager, as Brailsford has been reportedly keen on him for about a year and was looking at getting him in at Nice. This would suit the British core objective being reported Ratcliffe wants.
If you trust the third tier sources reporting on it. That suggests they don't have a clue at all about what this club needs. Potter is a manager who failed at a big club and even admitted once in a presser that it was too much pressue at Chelsea. How's he going to handle it here? You can have a British core without needing failed managers like Potter.

wolvored

If you trust the third tier sources reporting on it. That suggests they don't have a clue at all about what this club needs. Potter is a manager who failed at a big club and even admitted once in a presser that it was too much pressue at Chelsea. How's he going to handle it here? You can have a British core without needing failed managers like Potter.
I didnt say I wanted Potter it was just reported in the media Brailsford liked him. Saying that if failed managers couldnt get another chance we would have a hell of a lot more failed managers out of work. Just because they fail at one club, doesnt neccessarily mean they couldnt be successful at another.

FortunaUtd

1. Ratcliffe co-ownership is not even officially ratified yet, is it? He has no official role at the club yet and neither have any of his people.
SO OF COURSE he cannot go around proclaiming, to journalists or bystanders, how he would like to sack the manager. It would be highly irresponsible and unprofessional, publicly weakening and torpedoing the man currently in the job without being in a position to do anything about it, really.
2. Even if replacing Ten Hag were a priority for him, the proper course of action would STILL be to deal with the board structure and responibilities first and install the proper people there, before hiring a new manager.
So really, nothing about this is in any way note- or critique-worthy.

Stig

The better the organizatuon and structure become, the less important and more easily replaceable the manager becomes.

Tarrou

publicly this is the only position he can have until he sacks him

nobody knows what he's really thinking

but I reckon ETH will be sacked at the end of the season

Tyrion

publicly this is the only position he can have until he sacks him

nobody knows what he's really thinking

but I reckon ETH will be sacked at the end of the season
Agreed. (Slightly) new ownership meant that his job got safer in the short term (before the end of this season) and less safe in the medium term (between the end of this season and the start of the next).

raind

Sacking ETH now would not serve any purpose unless there was a manager available who aligns with the long term strategy. Given they are only coming in the door I seriously doubt there is a long term strategy yet. Paying off ETH and putting a caretaker in place to the end of season is just a waste of tie and money

The Mitcher

I didnt say I wanted Potter it was just reported in the media Brailsford liked him. Saying that if failed managers couldnt get another chance we would have a hell of a lot more failed managers out of work. Just because they fail at one club, doesnt neccessarily mean they couldnt be successful at another.
It's pretty clear if he can't cut it at Chelsea he won't cut it here. Especially if pressure was part of the reason.

The Mitcher

Sacking ETH now would not serve any purpose unless there was a manager available who aligns with the long term strategy. Given they are only coming in the door I seriously doubt there is a long term strategy yet. Paying off ETH and putting a caretaker in place to the end of season is just a waste of tie and money
Yes it would. It would end the suicidal tactics and give us a new manager bounce. Especially if we hire a manager who at least knows how to set up a team to do the basics.