Skint ex-Arsenal defender Emmanuel Eboue

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
It's a shame to hear that. I know it was only a bit of fun and I'm probably going to get some comments for this but perhaps we should stop the mickey taking out of him on the forum, with all the options of him on polls etc.
Don't think that he cares that much. If anything, his viral popularity is going to help him in this situation — it's easy to imagine some advertisement or promotional campaign using it to bring him some money.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Imagine putting your wife in charge of your finances?
Ridiculous move.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
How the hell is that fair?

I never understood millionaire divorces. A wife splits from her billionaire husband and is awarded 50% (500m) of his assets. Where is the logic in that? At what stage in her life will she ever need 500m? Of course the above is just an example.

There was another case in Russia IIRC where a wife got 50% and monthly payments to pay for her glamorous lifestyle because ''money had ruined her life.''
Read in a newspaper a few years ago, a guy won the lottery and had to split the winnings with his ex wife (divorced for a few years).

Another case of a millionaire marrying a teacher, then after 10 years divorcing and she claimed that she would be a principal at some high end school, losing loads of money being married to him, and she took half again!

This system is heavily in favour of women.

kps88

I can't imagine what it would be based on.
Never heard of a case where the wife is awarded all the assets.
We don't even know how true it really is. For all we know, maybe he fecked up and lost most of his assets before the divorce and there wasn't much to give the wife anyway. Don't forget she needs child support enough for three kids as well.

Classical Mechanic

We don't even know how true it really is. For all we know, maybe he fecked up and lost most of his assets before the divorce and there wasn't much to give the wife anyway. Don't forget she needs child support enough for three kids as well.
It is Eboue's sob story really. Painted as a completely innocent victim in his misfortunes. I'm sure the truth is a little different.

Bojan11

It is Eboue's sob story really. Painted as a completely innocent victim in his misfortunes. I'm sure the truth is a little different.
He released the same sob story towards the back end of last year. Back then his wife was with him.

The guy was found to have refused to pay his agent. So I don’t know why his words are treated as gospel here.

DoubleRevv

I'm trying to have empathy for him, but it is difficult for me to do so. Many African players end up with women who often are culturally dissimilar from themselves, divorce seems inevitable. Not blaming it on the woman and not making this a debate about race but if he had at the least invested a decent amount of his wealth in Cote d'Ivoire (his homeland), he would have assets that the court wouldn't have jurisdiction over, would have improved the livelihood of those in the community he came from, and would still be wealthy.

Most African footballers earn and spend their money in Europe without repatriating any to invest in Africa, that is why I guess I am struggling with empathizing.

predator

Youth NITK
There's no way a man with his fame globally can struggle to find a job. I'd be amazed if hasn't received offers from Asia, Africa, Middle East to do something football related, given Arsenals massive fanbase.

Needham

He released the same sob story towards the back end of last year. Back then his wife was with him. The guy was found to have refused to pay his agent. So I don’t know why his words are treated as gospel here.
Wouldn't surprise me if his wife and agent were the same person and Eboue didn't know.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
I'm not even married yet, but that 50% rule is pathetic at times...

Karen Parlour, who divorced her England and Arsenal football star husband Ray in 2002, won the legal right to a one-third share of his future earnings in 2004 in a landmark case at the Court of Appeal. It set a precedent for former wives to bag themselves the share they would enjoy if they were still married.
I know this is opening up a can of worms, but this is coming from the woman that want to have equal rights.... This isn't me saying they don't deserve them btw, but they want equal rights when it suits them, and even more when they can take it

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I feel like too many caftards and people in general are quick to give their opinion on a matter we basically have one side of. It's bad what's happened to him but I wouldn't be surprised if he was the main culprit of his demise.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I'm not even married yet, but that 50% rule is pathetic at times...

I know this is opening up a can of worms, but this is coming from the woman that want to have equal rights.... This isn't me saying they don't deserve them btw, but they want equal rights when it suits them, and even more when they can take it
It's not an instant 50/50 split in the UK. Only if you're in a very rich relationship it tends to end up something like this - where there's so much money in the pool that the percentages really don't matter.

In a normal, every-day marriage that has ended in divorce, the courts take into consideration a large number of factors -- who the kids are going to live with, how many properties are available, the type of lifestyle you're used to, the length of the marriage, whether the financially weaker party (typically the woman) can go back into work etc.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
It is heavily in favour of the less financially stable party.
Not really, even the normal people I know who work normal jobs, the system is still heavily set in favour of the female party.

You don't even have to be married now for her to take half.

DWelbz19

Not really, even the normal people I know who work normal jobs, the system is still heavily set in favour of the female party.

You don't even have to be married now for her to take half.
Because she is almost always the less financially stable party.

AndyJ1985

Pretty sad. The problem is to be a footballer you don't necessarily need to be intelligent, so suddenly you have all this money but lack the sense and maturity to use it wisely. It's no surprise to hear stories like this and of other ex footballers going bankrupt. This is largely why I'm so against kids being given so much money. They bypass the life experiences we all have to endure that help us deal with finances and hardships properly.

OverratedOpinion

Essentially this, my job requires me to work around the family law proceedings at times of divorce or split ups and I can guarantee the attitude is not "Great lets see how we can rinse this guy!". More often than not judges hate these proceedings because they are messy and complicated, they just desperately try and find the best solution so that both parties can continue to be stable, when kids are involved they are obviously (and rightly) the priority.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
And why is that a factor in the less financially stable party getting more of the assets?

If I was making 50k a year, and my wife was making 100k, I wouldn't expect to get the house and half of her assets because she was making more than me.

I firmly believe every marriage should come with an ironclad pre-nup (this coming from a poor guy!).

OverratedOpinion

And why is that a factor in the less financially stable party getting more of the assets?

If I was making 50k a year, and my wife was making 100k, I wouldn't expect to get the house and half of her assets because she was making more than me.

I firmly believe every marriage should come with an ironclad pre-nup (this coming from a poor guy!).
One party actually being granted the house opposed to marketing the equity and a split often only comes about when there are kids involved. I personally think it is right that kids stay in their family home.

I agree that a prenup is very helpful and most family law judges would applaud you for getting one and saving them a headache. No one forces anyone to get married without one.

Zlatattack

This is just bollocks. He made all that wealth entirely by himself. Why does his wife get it? Man should have dumped her and gone back to Africa. See her legal team get anything done then.

Brophs

The One and Only
Let’s be honest, they’ve told around 20% of the story there. The things he’s described don’t just happen.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
One party actually being granted the house opposed to marketing the equity and a split often only comes about when there are kids involved. I personally think it is right that kids stay in their family home.
Well, how about when the house gets put up for sale and the female party gets granted all of the equity, along with a hefty sum per month?

Now you're involving kids, so I'll say this, my best friend got divorced a few years ago having had two kids with this woman, she had the equity from the house, she has the kids during the week whilst he has them every weekend (picks them up from school on a Friday and takes hem to school on a Monday) so if we work out the hours each parent spends with the children (bear in mind school etc) then why is it that my friend (male) has to pay her a lot of money per month when he also buys all their clothes too?

I'm just pointing out the inadequate sharing of wealth for the women during a divorce and such.

OverratedOpinion

Well, how about when the house gets put up for sale and the female party gets granted all of the equity, along with a hefty sum per month?

Now you're involving kids, so I'll say this, my best friend got divorced a few years ago having had two kids with this woman, she had the equity from the house, she has the kids during the week whilst he has them every weekend (picks them up from school on a Friday and takes hem to school on a Monday) so if we work out the hours each parent spends with the children (bear in mind school etc) then why is it that my friend (male) has to pay her a lot of money per month when he also buys all their clothes too?

I'm just pointing out the inadequate sharing of wealth for the women during a divorce and such.
That would be incredibly rare and there would have to be exceptional circumstances financially.

The scenario you are talking about and your question below all come down to earning potential as the courts see it. The courts have a remit to ALWAYS attempt to maintain the child's previous standard of living as close as is humanly possible. If she has the children every weekday then her ability to provide that is hampered, if she had been more devoted to raising them and he had been more devoted to providing during the marriage then he is also already better placed to provide for not only them but himself.

The easiest way to look at it is that a judge considers it a families financial position rather than individual members and attempts to be practical (perhaps in the way of fairness at times).

There are of course cases where there are bad decisions but the system is not set up to harm anyone. A lot of it comes down to personal responsibility, you are aware enough to say you would require a prenuptial agreement before getting married and there is nothing stopping anyone else from doing the same.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Eboue always been a loose cannon, look at the way he played and cheated at times. Not a likeable player for any neutral fan.

Wouldn't wish this stuff on him though, same for Kenny Sansom.

DWelbz19

I agree that a prenup is very helpful and most family law judges would applaud you for getting one and saving them a headache. No one forces anyone to get married without one.
In the UK? I'm pretty sure we do not accept them as legally binding unless they comply with a multitude of issues.

They're flawed concepts anyway - they're not really 'contracts' in the sense of equal bargaining; they're typically the financially dominant party securing their assets against the word of the other. Who is typically coaxed into this agreement down to some feeling of love, or fear of losing the relationship.

And even if you do allow them, there's the issue that the pre-nup basically loses its significance as the marriage goes on. Can you really decide the settlement of a say, 10 year marriage that now includes children over something agreed without foresight of these?

OverratedOpinion

In the UK? I'm pretty sure we do not accept them as legally binding unless they comply with a multitude of issues.

They're flawed concepts anyway - they're not really 'contracts' in the sense of equal bargaining; they're typically the financially dominant party securing their assets against the word of the other. Who is typically coaxed into this agreement down to some feeling of love, or fear of losing the relationship.

And even if you do allow them, there's the issue that the pre-nup basically loses its significance as the marriage goes on. Can you really decide the settlement of a say, 10 year marriage that now includes children over something agreed without foresight of these?
They are slightly weaker than in the States but only in the scenario you describe I believe. They dictate rights over property, debts, income and other assets like future inheritance but I believe they are limited in certain instances where there are significant increases in income.

I actually think they are more fair here as that takes into account the contribution your wife makes to your success professionally, at least to some degree.

As for the morality of them I would rather not give it much thought as everyone's relationships are totally different and I would hate to pass judgement on a hypothetical.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Why? So he can blow it away again.

I might be harsh. But he had a life of luxury but threw it away by pure arrogance. He trusted the wrong people. Spent money on fancy cars and mansions. Never checked to see how he was doing financially.

Why should I feel sorry for him?

People could only dream or kill for the career he has had and money he got from it.

Once he is over losing his money. I’m sure he can get a job in coaching or anything football related.

He played for a decade and threw away all his money. I cannot feel sorry for him after that.

The same story came out this time last year.

He earnt eight million euros in Turkey and sent seven million to his wife? He didn’t question what for? I’m sorry but he is gullible.
You can feel sorry for someone despite thinking they are naive or stupid.

freeurmind

weak willed
Also when you're trying to look broke, don't wear an expensive watch on your wrist and expensive looking jewelry round your neck.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
The protocol in big money cases is normally to literally go for a 50/50 split. There's more money at play than either party will ever need so it's fair enough.
There's nothing fair about someone enjoying someone else's earned money then taking half of it when they're bored. The 'well they gave up their career' line doesn't fly either. Lots of people would give up their job to live a nice life with little stress.

RedStarUnited

This is just bollocks. He made all that wealth entirely by himself. Why does his wife get it? Man should have dumped her and gone back to Africa. See her legal team get anything done then.
Often I hear things like "if she wasnt married and looking after his affairs she would have made X amount elsewhere" basically it says by having her around he was allowed to go and make his fortunes in peace.

If my memory serves me correct Ray Poulers wife said she was the one that used to motovate him when he didnt want to go training. Something Ray obviously disputes.

Being married and wealthy is a bad combo when things go bad.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
They say they want equal rights, and then they take our stuff!!!

EDIT: Sorry - thought this was the City thread.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Obviously don’t know the details, but it must be tough being a celebrity millionaire with a model wife, fancy cars and nice holidays and then lose it all.

This trend will probably just get worse as uneducated teenage boys are paid more and more millions to kick a football.