Sky Sports: 'Utd need time, but my level can go higher' | Ronaldo on Man Utd, retiring and achieving more

RedStarUnited

I beg to differ. He was playing as a number 9 against Atalanta at home...without their first choice centre half...in a superior team...tell me one moment...just one...besides the goal...that he did something that was anything more than expected or acceptable for a Man Utd number 9 in those circumstances ? And that’s leaving aside the fact that he is who he is...if Martial played that way people would be on here berating him...goal or no goal...actually scratch that...if Martial did so little he wouldn’t have had a chance to score the winner cause he would have been hooked off on 60 minutes... I can name you 5 instances where his touch, his link up and his finishing were shite.
Freds first chance?

Demaw

His grimace on the right of the thumbnail... that's the face you make when you know you are in a 500 million squad but has Fred and McTomminay in midfield.
Sadly true, and Wan Bissaka passing it backwards and looking like his first touch is cement. :)

Dookingham United

This guys mentality is the reason that he is the greatest player of all time. I think players like Messi and Eden Hazard are more talented footballers, but Ronaldo's unrelenting drive to be the best is why he is the best.
If we ever expect to compete with all the flipping petroclubs of the future we need to develop this in our dna. All players and backroom staff need to reach for being the best in the world. If we take this last opportunity we can learn from Ronaldo. If we don't then we will slowly but surely fade into mediocrity. The warning signs are there and have been for a decade. 2nd place should NEVER be good enough.

Dookingham United

He sounds more of a manager than Ole does. I can see a potential managerial career, if he wants.
There is no way he will ever be a manager because no one will ever be strong enough for him. (Think how strong mentally Roy Keane was - not good management these days)

giggs-beckham

Clueless
There is no way he will ever be a manager because no one will ever be strong enough for him. (Think how strong mentally Roy Keane was - not good management these days)
He isn't Roy keane though, he's a winner so was saf. I hear a lot of saf in him in those vids.

Carolina Red

Staff
Didn’t see this post...are you having a laugh. He was shite against Atalanta bar the goal. Awful first touch, bad link up play and his “tracking back” was more a token gesture- he didn’t win they ball or block anything...it just got the crowd going.

I love Ronaldo but let’s be honest.
I’m pretty sure I watched him do exactly that.

Caesar2290

Re Everton:

"I don't like to lose"
"It was a draw"
"For me it was a loss"

:lol: :lol:
That's the mindset we need. No celebrating last minute equalisers against Palace.
Elite mentality! If there was only an up and coming attacking manager that could rival his mentality;)

stw2022

There’s no one quality a manager needs nor is there one type of manager. What worked for Ferguson is he had a chip on his shoulder he successfully used to become the greatest manager of all time. Doesn’t mean every manager needs to have his mindset to be successful

acnumber9

if Martial played that way people would be on here berating him
If Martial scored goals at the rate Ronaldo does there’s a fair chance less people would be on his back. As it stands Ronaldo is one goal away from matching Martial’s tally for all of last season.

Jackal981

If Martial scored goals at the rate Ronaldo does there’s a fair chance less people would be on his back. As it stands Ronaldo is one goal away from matching Martial’s tally for all of last season.
The thing people talk about Ronaldo in this forum is insane :lol:. Did they forget who score goals

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
The point is that you were trying to argue that Messi would have gone to a club with big history. Why did he go to PSG? What kind of history and legacy would he leave there?

Obviously

And this is where you're dead wrong. When the wink affair happened and Ronaldo wanted to leave, he said he wanted to go to "either Barcelona or Real". Now at the time Barcelona were much less than us both commercially and in terms of accomplishments. Why would he say that if he considered Real Madrid the biggest club in the world? When Ronaldo left the PL, the PL was the best league in the world, which teams regularly winning the CL or going to the finals/semi-finals. The Spanish league renaissance happened only after Pep's Barcelona and Ronaldo going to Madrid. What legacy would he have in a much weaker league? Circumstances happened and he ultimately made the right choice, but WHEN he left, United were the biggest club in the world. Unfortunately, due to the Glazers takeover we were hampered financially severely and we couldn't offer him the deal that he would have wanted. And Madrid is a much better city to live in than Manchester, which Ronaldo himself admits played a part in him leaving. The point is - it isn't about club stature but more of a financial aspect.
Messi going to PSG at the twillight of his career after having won all there is.

It's about money sure but it's not like he choose the easy way out. He's close to retired and enjoying his last paycheck

RetroStu

Just make him player manager. I bet he'd get way more out of our players.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Anyone who criticised him just needs to watch the Atlanta game. His work rate was unbelievable- he was left back in the last 5 minutes. He’ll continue to drive standards at this club
Its good to watch but I prefer him not to play this way in future. He is nearly 37, and you don't ask any 32+ years old player to run like that and burn him out. You want manage the fitness of your best aging player, try not to burn them out, and try to prolong their career on the top, and to bring the best out of them, which is, to score goals and crucial goals, and this is exactly what he has been doing for us this season.

You see players Matic or Mata, who is younger than him by the way, already running slow or not even making any runs. You see that from Rooney when he reached the age of around 32, and most other players at round similar age 32-34. Ronaldo is nearly 37.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
This is a very good interview. He is talking about most things we are concerning now. Must watch.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Sancho - a big money new signing who should have been desperate to impress - not opting to come back a few days early to join our training camp, after spending a month on England's bench, said a lot.
He is taking things really slow here. You get the impression while Ronaldo desparately wants to win things here, Sancho only wants to be back to his home relaxing with his mates and earning handsome money along the way.

Terminator

Anyone who criticised him just needs to watch the Atlanta game. His work rate was unbelievable- he was left back in the last 5 minutes. He’ll continue to drive standards at this club
I dont quite agree with this. His defensive actions/pressing were quite poor until his goal. He ran his backside off after the 80th min but I think consistent pressing will help the team a lot more like Cavani does.

Daengophile

If the defence can keep a clean sheet and a service is provided to the lads up front, it should be that simple

giggs-beckham

Clueless
And Roy Keane wasn't? He had ridiculously high standards which his players couldn't match. I don't think Ronaldo will ever get into management. Comparing him to Sir Alex is laughable
Missed the point predictably. He isn't a moody scary type character as meant. And I can compare small parts to saf I saw doesn't mean I'm like for like comparing obviously.

Judas

Open to offers
He is taking things really slow here. You get the impression while Ronaldo desparately wants to win things here, Sancho only wants to be back to his home relaxing with his mates and earning handsome money along the way.
What a load of guff :lol: we know you desperately love Ronaldo, but you can do that without randomly throwing other Utd players under the bus.

Last edited:

Fluctuation0161

Sancho - a big money new signing who should have been desperate to impress - not opting to come back a few days early to join our training camp, after spending a month on England's bench, said a lot.
Presenteism in action. Maybe he needed a rest after the WC so he had a chance of performing for us this season. Players are not robots.

captaincantona

Don’t do that...read what I said...for the first 70 minutes or so he contributed one cross, one missed chance and precisely zero successful presses/interceptions. I’m saying...when Martial does that...and he does...he gets berated...even if there is the odd goal in there.

point being...we all love Ronaldo...but Christ, praise him for stuff he deserves to be praised for. He was not good against Atalanta and still scored...same for Portugal against Ireland...same against Young Boys...same against Villarreal. That is why he is in the team...despite doing fuk all most of the games, he scores goals.

Acquire Me

You say you are kidding, but that is a fair point actually. Ole was happy being a supersub, but a lot of players with his ability would not have settled for that role; they would have moved to a club where they would start.

A player like Ole is great for a team, but a manager like Ole who is happy to make excuses and constantly reduce expectations is terrible for a club like United. Unlike Ronaldo, he doesn't really want to be the best at what he does.
Excuses are just part of the game. It can be tactical or just people being pissed. What worries me is that he might not be good enough to take us to the so called elite state. I hope he does, but I am not convinced at the moment.

Ronaldo as a manager could be exciting to see. Might take a role as an assistant manager first though.

Ananke

He’s just incredible. For any kid playing football he’s a perfect role model.

He just shuts everyone up by delivering on the pitch.:drool:

passtheball

Excuses are just part of the game. It can be tactical or just people being pissed. What worries me is that he might not be good enough to take us to the so called elite state. I hope he does, but I am not convinced at the moment.

Ronaldo as a manager could be exciting to see. Might take a role as an assistant manager first though.
He is not.

He has not shown any tactical quality except setting up a team for counter-attacking against bigger teams. He is a reactive, defensive manager who can't make his team stop leaking goals either.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
What a load of guff :lol: we know you desperately love Ronaldo, but you can do that without randomly throwing over Utd players under the bus.
I don't know about you, but most people are not very happy with Sancho performance so far this season, nor the effort he is making. Maybe you are very happy with him, I don't know.

Judas

Open to offers
I don't know about you, but most people are not very happy with Sancho performance so far this season, nor the effort he is making. Maybe you are very happy with him, I don't know.
He's had a slow start. Young lad, new league. He's not set the world alight. Thats all true. Making up reasons as to why that is, which you did is idiotic.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Don’t suppose Ronaldo fancies another 95th minute winner today

acnumber9

Don’t do that...read what I said...for the first 70 minutes or so he contributed one cross, one missed chance and precisely zero successful presses/interceptions. I’m saying...when Martial does that...and he does...he gets berated...even if there is the odd goal in there.

point being...we all love Ronaldo...but Christ, praise him for stuff he deserves to be praised for. He was not good against Atalanta and still scored...same for Portugal against Ireland...same against Young Boys...same against Villarreal. That is why he is in the team...despite doing fuk all most of the games, he scores goals.
Read what I said. You can’t be surprised if people cut a player who regularly scores match winning goals more slack than a player who doesn’t.

MalaysianRed7

Him becoming the best player in the world in 2008 and then continuing that sort of form until 2021 and beyond next to Messi is something we might never ever see again. His drive and ambition to win trophies over and over again, to score 40 goals every season and to generally keep being the best is truly inspirational for a young person like me. I mean, he’s just broken the all-time international goals record at 36 and still doesn’t want to retire from that just so he can have yet another go at the World Cup. It’s unbelievable.

Honestly, he became my favourite player the second his return was confirmed, and I love Bruno and Rashford.

While we would obviously still have many bigger legends, I think he would cement his place as football’s greatest ever player over Messi if he was to be the man who brought success back here. Proper success obviously, like Premier League and Champions League titles.

It would get him another Ballon D’or as well, which would be deserved even if he sat on the bench the whole year after the robbery of 2018. I just don’t see what Messi would have done to eclipse him by that point, and winning Ligue 1 definitely wouldn’t be it. He’s definitely doing his bit at the moment, but you can tell he’s fuming with us not even being in the top 4. It just shows his winning mentality, the way he instantly addressed the Everton draw as a loss.

If only he had stayed with us his whole career. There would be no bigger United legend aside from Fergie and Busby. A true freak of nature, and it’s disrespectful that people are already touting Haaland and Mbappe to succeed him. They’d do well to become half of what he is.

Reactions: Invictus

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He's had a slow start. Young lad, new league. He's not set the world alight. Thats all true. Making up reasons as to why that is, which you did is idiotic.
Yeh I know, you have been enjoying his performance this season. Enjoy.

captaincantona

Him becoming the best player in the world in 2008 and then continuing that sort of form until 2021 and beyond next to Messi is something we might never ever see again. His drive and ambition to win trophies over and over again, to score 40 goals every season and to generally keep being the best is truly inspirational for a young person like me. I mean, he’s just broken the all-time international goals record at 36 and still doesn’t want to retire from that just so he can have yet another go at the World Cup. It’s unbelievable.

Honestly, he became my favourite player the second his return was confirmed, and I love Bruno and Rashford.

While we would obviously still have many bigger legends, I think he would cement his place as football’s greatest ever player over Messi if he was to be the man who brought success back here. Proper success obviously, like Premier League and Champions League titles.

It would get him another Ballon D’or as well, which would be deserved even if he sat on the bench the whole year after the robbery of 2018. I just don’t see what Messi would have done to eclipse him by that point, and winning Ligue 1 definitely wouldn’t be it. He’s definitely doing his bit at the moment, but you can tell he’s fuming with us not even being in the top 4. It just shows his winning mentality, the way he instantly addressed the Everton draw as a loss.

If only he had stayed with us his whole career. There would be no bigger United legend aside from Fergie and Busby. A true freak of nature, and it’s disrespectful that people are already touting Haaland and Mbappe to succeed him. They’d do well to become half of what he is.
Well that was poetic...

I don’t think anyone is saying Harland or Mbappe will do or achieve what he or Messi has...they are simply the best of what’s coming through and therefore, heirs apparent to the best players in the world tag. Ronaldo is no longer the best player in the world or anything like it...he is however one of the greatest of all time...no player that falls into that category was the greatest throughout their whole career. Maradona was a shadow in his final years...Pele more so considering the level he was playing at...then there is Messi...who is still doing enough to be in the current conversation I’d say while Ronaldo is just behind that but mainly due to his international performances.

Hughie77

Sort out our defence, and Ronny will get the goals, and the criticism he gets from some quarters will drive him on . Great interview and I'm a bit pissed now , that Real had the best years out of him not UTD , but that's how it goes. Goat..

captaincantona

I see Ronaldo not pressing and apparently going fuk all in defense is new theme here.
No...I’d say it’s that we press badly even without Ronaldo...when he plays we don’t press at all and that allows teams who are comfortable on the ball to settle. It’s a team game...not just about Ronaldo. So it should be fine to say that player who clearly is in the team for only two reasons (finishing and motivation/standards) is not necessarily suitable for every game.

Real Name

No...I’d say it’s that we press badly even without Ronaldo...when he plays we don’t press at all and that allows teams who are comfortable on the ball to settle. It’s a team game...not just about Ronaldo. So it should be fine to say that player who clearly is in the team for only two reasons (finishing and motivation/standards) is not necessarily suitable for every game.
Yeah but it's really over the top non stop going on about it. Nor I think its that bad.

Last edited: