Sky Sports: 'Utd need time, but my level can go higher' | Ronaldo on Man Utd, retiring and achieving more

cyberman

Talks more like a manager than the current Utd manager.

Here to win stuff - THIS SEASON. Calling out young players to pull their socks up and sort their minds out.

Honestly think he could be player manager for half a season.

Absolute BOSS.
We don’t have any younger players other than Mason.

fps

Anyone who criticised him just needs to watch the Atlanta game. His work rate was unbelievable- he was left back in the last 5 minutes. He’ll continue to drive standards at this club
The best thing would be that he puts in those kinds of performances whenever he’s on the pitch but gets rotated so he’s fresh. Cavani is a fantastic player as well so I believe we’d be different with him starting instead but not worse.

RUCK4444

Great honest interview, was asked some questions about work rate etc that I didn’t expect them to ask.

He’s an exceptional example to the rest of the squad as we knew he would be.

captaincantona

Anyone who criticised him just needs to watch the Atlanta game. His work rate was unbelievable- he was left back in the last 5 minutes. He’ll continue to drive standards at this club
Didn’t see this post...are you having a laugh. He was shite against Atalanta bar the goal. Awful first touch, bad link up play and his “tracking back” was more a token gesture- he didn’t win they ball or block anything...it just got the crowd going.

I love Ronaldo but let’s be honest.

Drainy

they were also paying a few times what our highest earner was getting by the end. They at least doubled his money on the first deal. That’s what you’re up against.
Yeah, good for him that he got paid, but I suspect that his dream for a long time was to play for Real Madrid and he went on to be a great there. Can't be too mad that a great went on to do great things for a team they had an affinity with growing up.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Talks more like a manager than the current Utd manager.

Here to win stuff - THIS SEASON. Calling out young players to pull their socks up and sort their minds out.

Honestly think he could be player manager for half a season.

Absolute BOSS.
:lol:

fps

Didn’t see this post...are you having a laugh. He was shite against Atalanta bar the goal. Awful first touch, bad link up play and his “tracking back” was more a token gesture- he didn’t win they ball or block anything...it just got the crowd going.

I disagree, he tracked back and worked hard in the second half. It was a series of gestures which helped to keep the effort and tempo of the whole team up.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Yeah, good for him that he got paid, but I suspect that his dream for a long time was to play for Real Madrid and he went on to be a great there. Can't be too mad that a great went on to do great things for a team they had an affinity with growing up.
Having him for his peak would have been a real statement of intent even if we smashed the wage structure. We would have taken over the game. Once a in lifetime player for a club like us because Real will always be waiting in the sun with the chequebook out to put together the next crew of greats.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Was always going to happen. Real are the biggest club in the footballing world.
For me that was a real sliding doors moment. We were better than Madrid at the time, and had he stayed here his whole career we’d have at least one more champions league and a few more league titles. Who knows?

But he went to Madrid and won them 4 CLs in 5 years. The past 10 years for both of our clubs could not have gone any more differently, and him going to them over us played a big part in that.

Sviken

Was always going to happen. Real are the biggest club in the footballing world.
How so? At the time we were performing a lot better than Real and commercially we were bigger, as well. Maybe history wise, but players couldn't give a shit about history.

For me that was a real sliding doors moment. We were better than Madrid at the time, and had he stayed here his whole career we’d have at least one more champions league and a few more league titles. Who knows?

But he went to Madrid and won them 4 CLs in 5 years. The past 10 years for both of our clubs could not have gone any more differently, and him going to them over us played a big part in that.
The clusterfeck after Fergie played that part. Up until Fergie retired Real were pretty much a joke. They had that one exceptional season under Mourinho, but overall they were very disappointing. Then Fergie retired, we massively fecked up with our appointments, while Real scored with theirs, and they had amazing 7 years as a result.

mancan92

What? I was at the game and he was great. Often are only attacking threat in the first half and in the second was everywhere pushing.

Drainy

How so? At the time we were performing a lot better than Real and commercially we were bigger, as well. Maybe history wise, but players couldn't give a shit about history.
The very best players do. They think about legacy.

The traditional/ influential footballing world is far more latin/hispanic than it is 'anglosphere' nations, Africa or the far east. Real and Barca are far bigger clubs than Man Utd in most of the places where football is the biggest sport, including Portugal (or Madeira) so for a player like Ronaldo there will be more prestige in being the worlds best player at the biggest club in his mind.

Plus lets be honest, he wouldn't have been anywhere near as competitive in the Ballon d'Or in the Premier League..

Sviken

The very best players do. They think about legacy.

The traditional/ influential footballing world is far more latin/hispanic than it is 'anglosphere' nations, Africa or the far east. Real and Barca are far bigger clubs than Man Utd in most of the places where football is the biggest sport, including Portugal (or Madeira) so for a player like Ronaldo there will be more prestige in being the worlds best player at the biggest club in his mind.

Plus lets be honest, he wouldn't have been anywhere near as competitive in the Ballon d'Or in the Premier League..
No, they don't. Otherwise Messi wouldn't be playing for PSG or KDB for City. The very best players look for three things in that order:
1. Money
2. Chance for trophies/CL football
3. Distant third is history

Obviously Ronaldo being Mediterranean would have a more preference of playing for Real, but that's just how it is. Becks or Scholes would have never left for Madrid if they had the opportunity (I know Becks did leave, but SAF chased him out). Still, why did Ronaldo leave the first time around? You can't say money didn't play a part of it. Real offered him twice the salary we did with a yearly increase. It's not like he joined them for free.

As far as the Ballon d'Or goes, why wouldn't he? He won his first with us and in 2009 it was basically a toin coss between him and Messi. Whoever won that CL would have won it. The reality is that the Spanish league was only relevant because of those two, not because of the league itself. Without them, who are the candidates? Maybe Benzema, but he's not gonna win it.

passtheball

Maybe there was a reason why Ronaldo was a starter and Ole was a "supersub" :)

Just kidding!
You say you are kidding, but that is a fair point actually. Ole was happy being a supersub, but a lot of players with his ability would not have settled for that role; they would have moved to a club where they would start.

A player like Ole is great for a team, but a manager like Ole who is happy to make excuses and constantly reduce expectations is terrible for a club like United. Unlike Ronaldo, he doesn't really want to be the best at what he does.

2 man midfield

The clusterfeck after Fergie played that part. Up until Fergie retired Real were pretty much a joke. They had that one exceptional season under Mourinho, but overall they were very disappointing. Then Fergie retired, we massively fecked up with our appointments, while Real scored with theirs, and they had amazing 7 years as a result.
I do agree, Ronaldo and SAF leaving are the two biggest factors. The past 10 years have really seen our two clubs go very separate ways, whereas before it was basically United or Real competing for biggest club in the world status. Now I doubt anyone would really take us seriously in that debate, whereas If we’d kept Ronaldo and not bungled the succession plan, who knows?

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.

JFC this is one of the worst takes in redcafe history. Are you trolling? Honestly wondering.

Flytan

I do agree, Ronaldo and SAF leaving are the two biggest factors. The past 10 years have really seen our two clubs go very separate ways, whereas before it was basically United or Real competing for biggest club in the world status. Now I doubt anyone would really take us seriously in that debate, whereas If we’d kept Ronaldo and not bungled the succession plan, who knows?
If rumors are true and Pep/Klopp/others didn't want to come in after Fergie (I'm sure replacing him was part of it) maybe having Ronaldo here would have been the difference to getting one of them. So probably a bit of butterfly effect there.

Drainy

No, they don't. Otherwise Messi wouldn't be playing for PSG
Ok, I could have stopped reading at this point. Clearly you know nothing about how Messi left Barcelona then.

or KDB for City. The very best players look for three things in that order:
1. Money
2. Chance for trophies/CL football
3. Distant third is history

Obviously Ronaldo being Mediterranean would have a more preference of playing for Real, but that's just how it is. Becks or Scholes would have never left for Madrid if they had the opportunity (I know Becks did leave, but SAF chased him out). Still, why did Ronaldo leave the first time around? You can't say money didn't play a part of it. Real offered him twice the salary we did with a yearly increase. It's not like he joined them for free.

As far as the Ballon d'Or goes, why wouldn't he? He won his first with us and in 2009 it was basically a toin coss between him and Messi. Whoever won that CL would have won it. The reality is that the Spanish league was only relevant because of those two, not because of the league itself. Without them, who are the candidates? Maybe Benzema, but he's not gonna win it.
Clearly you fail to understand that to Beckham and Scholes they don't have the same view on English clubs vs the Spanish giants that someone from Portugal would have.

Ronaldo was trying to leave for Real Madrid for 2 years before he got his move. It was something he wanted because they are the biggest club in the world to him and legacy is important to him

Edit: sorry it was 3 years, in 2006 he first wanted to move after the Rooney wink affair.

Ladron de redcafe

JFC this is one of the worst takes in redcafe history. Are you trolling? Honestly wondering.
It isn't. You have no rebuttle and so you've engaged in an ad-lapidum, but he's spot on and your reaction makes me doubt you watched the Atalanta match.

Sviken

Ok, I could have stopped reading at this point. Clearly you know nothing about how Messi left Barcelona then.
The point is that you were trying to argue that Messi would have gone to a club with big history. Why did he go to PSG? What kind of history and legacy would he leave there?

Clearly you fail to understand that to Beckham and Scholes they don't have the same view on English clubs vs the Spanish giants that someone from Portugal would have.
Obviously

Ronaldo was trying to leave for Real Madrid for 2 years before he got his move. It was something he wanted because they are the biggest club in the world to him and legacy is important to him

Edit: sorry it was 3 years, in 2006 he first wanted to move after the Rooney wink affair.
And this is where you're dead wrong. When the wink affair happened and Ronaldo wanted to leave, he said he wanted to go to "either Barcelona or Real". Now at the time Barcelona were much less than us both commercially and in terms of accomplishments. Why would he say that if he considered Real Madrid the biggest club in the world? When Ronaldo left the PL, the PL was the best league in the world, which teams regularly winning the CL or going to the finals/semi-finals. The Spanish league renaissance happened only after Pep's Barcelona and Ronaldo going to Madrid. What legacy would he have in a much weaker league? Circumstances happened and he ultimately made the right choice, but WHEN he left, United were the biggest club in the world. Unfortunately, due to the Glazers takeover we were hampered financially severely and we couldn't offer him the deal that he would have wanted. And Madrid is a much better city to live in than Manchester, which Ronaldo himself admits played a part in him leaving. The point is - it isn't about club stature but more of a financial aspect.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
It isn't. You have no rebuttle and so you've engaged in an ad-lapidum, but he's spot on and your reaction makes me doubt you watched the Atalanta match.
/r/iamverysmart - "ad-lapidum". Cringe. So unnecessary.
rebuttal*

I watched the match. We won 3-2 due to a fantastic Ronaldo goal. He tracked back and is head and shoulders above the rest of the team.

Ladron de redcafe

Ronaldo was trying to leave for Real Madrid for 2 years before he got his move.
It was something he wanted because they are the biggest club in the world to him and legacy is important to him

And I remember it clearly. It isn't necessarily insulting. We view United as the biggest club in the world but some players (Ronaldo in this example) might view Madrid as the biggest club in the world and a step up. Constantly talking about dreaming of moving there certainly indicates he held Real Madrid in high regard.

Ladron de redcafe

/r/iamverysmart - "ad-lapidum". Cringe. So unnecessary.
rebuttal*

I watched the match. We won 3-2 due to a fantastic Ronaldo goal. He tracked back and is head and shoulders above the rest of the team.
Using words like cringe doesn't equate to a rebuttle. Your clearly didn't watch the match if you think that post was "the worst in the caf's history".

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Using words like cringe doesn't equate to a rebuttle. Your clearly didn't watch the match if you think that post was "the worst in the caf's history".
Your right, there's been a new post that's worse. You've engaged in ad-gowlidium. I actually don't watch United, just been messing about on these boards for the past 15 years. Is Ronaldo back at us now?

Ladron de redcafe

Your right, there's been a new post that's worse. You've engaged in ad-gowlidium. I actually don't watch United, just been messing about on these boards for the past 15 years. Is Ronaldo back at us now?
That's clear.
You might want to learn how to spell "you're" while you're at it.

SAFMUTD

He's a total winner, that mentality is impressive to be honest.

2 man midfield

If rumors are true and Pep/Klopp/others didn't want to come in after Fergie (I'm sure replacing him was part of it) maybe having Ronaldo here would have been the difference to getting one of them. So probably a bit of butterfly effect there.
Yeah I do wonder what would’ve happened if we’d got a competent manager, even. Just not Moyes. Klopp or Pep would probably have had some teething problems as their styles are so different to what we were doing, but surely we wouldn’t have finished 7th. Plus there’s the 4 years before that. With Ronaldo I reckon we go past Bayern and win it in 2010, plus you’d expect us to pick up one more point in the league and win that as well. And we’d have scored more goals than City in 2012. He also wouldn’t have scored twice to knock us out in 2013.

The swing that Ronaldo was able to enact just from leaving one club and joining another is absolutely insane.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Came across well in the interview.

On an unrelated note, I wonder if he's had a fair bit of botox. I noticed about 2 minutes into the video that the expression in his eyes and cheeks barely change.

captaincantona

I’ve been rooting around YouTube for a video of his touches...there doesn’t seem to be one. If you can find one let’s watch it and I am happy to stand down if I’m proved wrong. I thought he had a bad game bar the goal. Let me know if you find one.

just for the record...I’m a fan of Ronaldo...just a bigger fan of Utd and think we need to use him in a smarter way.

The United

I’ve been rooting around YouTube for a video of his touches...there doesn’t seem to be one. If you can find one let’s watch it and I am happy to stand down if I’m proved wrong. I thought he had a bad game bar the goal. Let me know if you find one.

just for the record...I’m a fan of Ronaldo...just a bigger fan of Utd and think we need to use him in a smarter way.
Yeah but he did not have a shit game..

captaincantona

Yeah but he did not have a shit game..
I beg to differ. He was playing as a number 9 against Atalanta at home...without their first choice centre half...in a superior team...tell me one moment...just one...besides the goal...that he did something that was anything more than expected or acceptable for a Man Utd number 9 in those circumstances ? And that’s leaving aside the fact that he is who he is...if Martial played that way people would be on here berating him...goal or no goal...actually scratch that...if Martial did so little he wouldn’t have had a chance to score the winner cause he would have been hooked off on 60 minutes... I can name you 5 instances where his touch, his link up and his finishing were shite.

Last edited:

The United

I beg to differ. He was playing as a number 9 against Atalanta at home...without their first choice centre half...in a superior team...tell me one moment...just one...besides the goal...that he did something that was anything more than expected or acceptable for a Man Utd number 9 in those circumstances ? And that’s leaving aside the fact that he is who he is...if Martial played that way people would be on here berating him...goal or no goal...actually scratch that...if Martial did so little he wouldn’t have had a chance to score the winner cause he would have been hooked off on 60 minutes... I can name you 5 instances where his touch, his link up and his finishing were shite.
Should have gotten another goal. Should have done better with link up play or first touch etc.

But, he did not have a shit game.