Slopes at Old Trafford

tomaldinho1

Coman's hit was genuinely WWE like with the whiplash. I shouldn't have but I did chuckle at the slo mo

redom

Lethal!

Unlike United's frontline ;)
Our wingers are clearly scared of barrelling into the boards so refuse to get in behind and attack the byline, we've found the root of our problems!

mancsarered

It's becoming ridiculous. Are we waiting for a career ending leg injury to change it?

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Why is it so difficult just to put some kind of safety nets behind the goals?

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Should really go full in on this and have barbed wire mesh against the hoardings which are patrolled by vicious barking dogs

padr81

Supports
Man City
Never noticed it till today but for sure looks an issue at least 1st half here.

SER19

drainage and undersoil heating i believe is the issue. Not sure how much we could reduce it by that would make a difference to a player running full tilt, assuming a slop of some sort is needed

TrebleChamp99

Supports Liverpool
This has always been a cost saving measure, rather than spend the money to dig down into the grounds to give us under pitch heating and drainage. They built it on top of it as it would be too expensive otherwise and now we have these super dangerous slopes at each side of the pitch Always thought it was ridiculous and very dangerous to players.

NiceGuyEddie

This has always been a cost saving measure, rather than spend the money to dig down into the grounds to give us under pitch heating and drainage. They built it on top of it as it would be too expensive otherwise and now we have these super dangerous slopes at each side of the pitch Always thought it was ridiculous and very dangerous to players.
You would think they would fill it with rubber chippings or the like. Would still help with drainage and stop players tumbling down the slope.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I was told, years ago now that the issue wasn't money as such, it was the changeover time for the pitch and associated work. Not just for the various layers of pitch/heating/sprinkler system/drainage but underground services that run across the stadium.

They would need to do it in under three months, they didn't see it taking it less than six. Whether that's still true I don't know.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
You would think they would fill it with rubber chippings or the like. Would still help with drainage and stop players tumbling down the slope.
Problem is those advertising hoardings and the lower layers of seats. You'd have to remove several rows of seats to get the ground straight again. It might have to be done at some point anyway because the ground doesn't confirm to current recommendations for an international stadium - lacks the empty space around the pitch needed for cameramen etc (and for players to slow up before they hit the bumpers)

TrebleChamp99

Supports Liverpool
I was told, years ago now that the issue wasn't money as such, it was the changeover time for the pitch and associated work. Not just for the various layers of pitch/heating/sprinkler system/drainage but underground services that run across the stadium.

They would need to do it in under three months, they didn't see it taking it less than six. Whether that's still true I don't know.
Which is baffling isn’t it , just get it done looks absolutely horrendous and probably the only ground in Europe built like it, players must hate playing with them there.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
they have long been prophetic of our fortunes. we’ve scaled the heights of the old trafford pitch and are currently on the cruel descent to the advertising hoardings. alas, we do not know how far we will continue to fall before crashing into them.

Brophs

The One and Only
Everybody loves a slip and slide. Stop being such dry shites.

Skills

Snitch
Can't we just make the pitch a bit bigger, by getting rid of the first 5 rows of seating around it? As an additional benefit you have less people at OT.

Or even better, let's build an olympic track around it.

buchansleftleg

Yes I think the only way it could have been done on a three month timescale was by throwing a lot of extra money at it. I used a landscaper that had done one of the pitch re-lays at the ground in the late 90's and he said that the club was told they needed to dig it all up and re-do the undersoil heating (that had been a bit of a rush / botch job apparently) to get the soil to stabilise and have better drainage without the dangerous steep incline at the pitch edges.

He said it could be done on a season end turnaround if they asked the FA to have the last few games be made away fixtures and if the club threw a lot of cash at it to get it done. They would also have to not have the stadium used for other cash generating things like Rugby league super-league final etc. The club seemed to prefer to spend the cash re-laying the pitch almost every year at that point.

Given the development that has happened in drainage systems, synthetic grass and soil stabilisation products since the 90's it's ridiculous we haven't resolved this but then....Glazers!

Brophs

The One and Only
they have long been prophetic of our fortunes. we’ve scaled the heights of the old trafford pitch and are currently on the cruel descent to the advertising hoardings. alas, we do not know how far we will continue to fall before crashing into them.
Going crashing into a 20 metres wide, flashing, day-glo sign that simply says KUMHO TYRES.

El Zoido

Speaking of advertising hoardings, I noticed last night we advertise Lays and not Walkers. What’s that all about? International audience?

bstb3

Speaking of advertising hoardings, I noticed last night we advertise Lays and not Walkers. What’s that all about? International audience?
They felt Lays was more appropriate considering how often we've been getting fecked at home. That and Walkers was hurting Marcus and Anthonys feelings.

48 hours

No issue with it. It’s like the pit stage on Mortal Kombat. An extra chance of a spectacular finish