Smalling or Jones - who goes?

wolvored

They're both excellent defenders, but Jones is better with the ball at his feet.

If Smalling does leave, he'll be amazing for whomever buys him. Arsenal could do a lot worse. There aren't many pure defenders than him around. He's not much worse than Sol Campbell was on the ball, either.
That's a very big stretch, even if you take their many injuries aside, they haven't been a patch on some of the defenders we have had at the club. Too erratic to be top defenders.

wolvored

Blind can be exposed but he can also bail us out with brilliant position and timing. I wouldn't be against a Bailly-Lindelof pairing if their form warrants it though.
Not sure about the Rojo to left back part though. God, I'd prefer Mitchell at left back, and I would definitely favor a Bailly-Rojo pairing in the centre, provided Rojo recovers his form and fitness that is.
It will be a Bailley-Lindelof pairing when both fit. These are Mourinhos men and both were probably told they would be first choice when signed up. Rojo will be first back-up I would imagine. Jones and Smalling will probably be sold, if not both this window, then by next summer I would think both will be gone.

wolvored

I think you're too dismissive of Blind, he's been excellent CB. To say "just make it 4, because Blind" is to overlook jobs he's done for us. I agree it would be tough just to ship out Jones or Smalling, equally overlooking the jobs they've done. I wouldn't have bought another CB if it were up to me, but some good players will be twiddling their thumbs on the bench I think.
I think with the injury proneness of Smalling and especially Jones, along with Rojo out for a while it was essential we bought one in. It wouldn't surprise me after we get our main targets in and if theres a chance of another CB signing on the cheap as cover that wouldn't happen as well. Jones and/or Smalling surely will be gone in this window.

I think with the injury proneness of Smalling and especially Jones, along with Rojo out for a while it was essential we bought one in. It wouldn't surprise me after we get our main targets in and if theres a chance of another CB signing on the cheap as cover that wouldn't happen as well. Jones and/or Smalling surely will be gone in this window.
Yeah, probably the injury to Rojo was the key factor. It's not easy to decide which one out of Smalling and Jones will make way though. If both of them are sold I still think Bailly, Rojo, Lindelof, Blind + Tuanzebe and Fosu Mensah would suffice.

catmandeu

Supports
north east united
Jones. Not because of any other reason but his fragile frame. He is too injury prone. Replacing english jones with axel tuanzebe aint going to hurt English sentiments as well. Smalling is a bit more experienced and is not awful round the season.

Web of Bissaka

For the upcoming season, Season 2017-18, prefer to keep them both actually. Assuming we're not signing another EPL proven defender (eg. Michael Keane) though. The thing is, as promising as Lindelof is, we don't know how he'll turn out. He still have to adapt into Jose's system and especially the tough physical high energy EPL. Having them both available for selection would mean we have greater security challenging every competitions better next season.

So, just for one more season keep Jones & Smalling, and after that, whoever perform poorly shall go :D.

Lentwood

You could make an argument either way but I would say Jones should stay based purely on the fact that I believe IF he can put the injuries behind him, he has a higher ceiling than Smalling. Jones is also a better footballer and can play RB or DM/LB if we were really short.

Smalling also seems to lack the mental strength required to play for Utd imo.

Redlyn

I hope none of them get sold personally. Too much depth never hurt anyone. CB is a cursed position for us where at one point of every season we need to play Carrick there so lets see how Lindelof beds in before reducing our options at the back.

Kag

Threads like this are predictably looking more and more silly.

Appreciate them, because you'll be wanting them back in the side (to ensure that we still have one of the best defensive records in Europe) before long.

Verbalkint

Definitely Jones for me, just because he can never play an entire season, or at least a normal amount of games. Smalling was absolutely brilliant during the Mike era and hopefully he can get back to that sort of form.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
We probably going to have to sell one because 5 is probably too many but it will probably sort itself out by January.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Could be starting the season as first choice pairing never mind being sold.

RU Devil

Based on current form, neither goes. I don't think Jose considers Blind a front line CB and Rojo won't be available until January, so it would be folly to go with only 3 recognized front line CB's, especially if Jose tinkers a bit and goes 3 or 5 in the back. This would be something to re-visit in January, after Lindelof gets bedded in, TFM/Axel get more PT at CB, and Rojo is back in the side. Any talk of selling either now is premature.

Dazzmondo

Think we need to keep all our defenders now tbh. Injuries have left us very weak there going into the season. I also think one of them (probably Jones) might have to partner Bailly to start the season until Lindelof adapts and shows he's ready to play in important games.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I really don't care so long as Rojo starts ahead of them when he is back.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
OK OK, I get that they are not world class players, not even top class players, though both have their moments but how can Smalling be linked with West Brom for peanuts 10m? I do want us to sell one of them, not least so we continue the trend of trimming the fat (like with Rooney) and I'd probably rather sell Smalling just because he's less versatile (though he's the better centre back when on form) but 10m is a joke. In today's market he must be worth at least 20m.

Irrational.

I'd keep both: we'll only regret it after our annual CB crisis kicks in and we're forced to play Blind/ Carrick/ Fellaini as makeshift CBs.

I'd only sell one of them if we received a worthwhile bid. For £10 million or whatnot that's been quoted in the media we should keep them. Especially when you see players like Keane and Sakho being quoted for £25 million plus.

Jones is injury prone. A decent defender but if United have ambitions in Europe he's not the level required.

Smalling has faults but is more reliable, just about.

Neither are a long term solution for any team attempting to get to the top. Just look at the type of clubs they get linked with, that says everything you need to know.

Also, Phil Jones' distasteful 'PJ4' Munich twitter thing left a bad taste - he never deleted it or apologised either.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Smalling is more reliable. Both are average but Jones has that complete donkey moment in him.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Neither. Rojo is out till January and Lindelöf isn't ready.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
Smalling is simply a defensive liability and jones is an injury waiting to happen, in all honesty a club of our size should have nothing to with either.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
I'm starting to think no one goes, at least till January, when Rojo becomes available. Maybe Mourinho will give himself and the players a few months more to decide.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Yeah with Rojo injured and no big bids coming in I think both will stay.

Wilt

Would not miss either, but if only one to go then it would have to be Jones.